Author Topic: Location based affection  (Read 2734 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: Location based affection
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 20:30:22 PM »
Hi Sue! I pop in and read occasionally but I've been gone too long!

They have a water fountain but he does occasionally lick the base in the shower. No real interest in taps. It's very strange
He seems happy in his life, it's just me that wants cuddles :Luv2: and I guess for him to feel safe or able to be loved everywhere in the house

He really is a  lovely lad, still full of beans and so gentle

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Location based affection
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 18:32:50 PM »

Nice to see you back, Snarf, and to hear about your little man.  How sweet - though I appreciate maybe a little inconvenient in the convenience department. 

It does sound quite unusual behaviour.  Can't think why he does it.   Does he come running if you run water in the sink, or run a tap?    The trouble with ferals/semi ferals/some adopteds is we cant always know the things that shaped their early days, and motivates their current behaviours and characteristics. 

he sounds lovely though.  I love that he still sleeps "like a kitten."   :evillaugh: :Luv:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Location based affection
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 17:50:01 PM »
 :innocent: Hello, i havent posted in an absolute age, so im sorry for being one of those that just shows up when they want something!  :innocent:

We adopted a 7month ish old cat/kitten february last year (2019)- Hes so sweet- the most sweet natured cat ive ever come across- and hes very affectionate- but only really in the bathroom! He started off in our spare room (next to the bathroom) for introductions so this was probably where he first felt able to approach us without any pressure?  When we are in the shower he cries for us to hurry up and get out and then he will circle and rub and stand up against you mewing away until you sit down in a towel and he can jump up on your lap for affection. He will paddle and purr and settle down curled up. if you dont sit down quick enough he jumps up and climbs up you  :shocked: if you move to another room upstairs he will follow you, mewing, but will not sit as long. He shows every indication of enjoying affection and will roll against your hand or even pull your hand up to his face for chin rubs. We thought maybe we didnt smell so strongly of people after a shower ?  but he does the same if you are in the bathroom for a long reason ( i have crohns disease and i can be in there a long time :-[) so we dont think thats it.
In the rest of the house, he mews for food and seems to want to be near us- in that hes often in the same room. he sleeps like a kitten still- all splayed out so we dont think he has trust issues with us and will approach us to rub against our hands but if you attempt to stroke him back, he will duck away from your hand. you can sometimes get a quick chin rub in, which he will lean into but then he will generally look outraged. he will sit on you, but only if you have a thick blanket on and dont move (or in any way remind him you are there :shify: )

He LOVES one of our other cats - full body length rubs against him and is always excited to see him- yips and trots over to ecstatically rub against him. they clean each other and sleep touching. We have two other cats- both older who he will also rub against but only faces really. they arent adored in the same way  :evillaugh: its possible that there are some feline territory rules but if there are its only him thats playing by the rules. We think hes more of a cat- cat than a people-cat.

He was abandoned by his mother at about 7 weeks when they were disturbed (bushes at the end of a garden sort of home) so we think his mother may have been feral or semi feral. He was fostered by a lovely lady with her children and a fair number of cats.

Has anyone experienced similar before and does this behaviour ever change?  I would dearly love to be loved half as much as he loves his best friend! Any ideas on how we can show him that we can do affection in other rooms or times?  We are morning shower people and he makes me very late a lot  :Luv2:
 :thanks:

Link to CatChat