Author Topic: Which first?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Which first?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 15:02:57 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Wow you don't believe in starting small do you lol.   Can't really make any recommendations but I have always had cats and we introduced a 10 week old french bulldog to our two resident 12 year olds.  We have had no problems, the dog knows the cats are boss and they all get on fine.  The dog wanted to play alot more than the cats so we bought Yoda (the dog) a kitten.  Yoda and Lola are now best friends and chase each other and sleep together.

As long as the dog is young when introduced to cats there shouldn't be a problem. 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Which first?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs. I'm afraid I can't answer your question as, although I love them, I don't have a dog.

Please feel free to have a look around the site and participate in anything that interests you. We currently have a charity auction running, although you should be aware that bidding is cut-throat  ;D

Offline Bernerragdoll

• Kitten
Which first?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 09:35:15 AM »
Hi all, new here

I love both cats and dogs and for ages i have been doing research on which dog to go for first and then i studied dog behaviour. After years of research i have choose the bernese mountain dog there very laid back dogs and a lot of berner friends own cats too as they get on really well with cats.

i also really love cats my favorite cat is the ragdoll ( i have known a few) , there gentle , affectionate cats and i have read that they are friendly with other animals and are a goid choice to have if you get a dog or have a dog.

i plan on owning both ragdoll and bernese mountain dogs but im struggling to choose which one should come first.

So some friends who own both cats and dogs and some of my berner friends who have cats have all said to get the cat first then the dog.

But ive had 2 people tell me dog first then cat.
I have also been tokd to get both at the same time but this wont be possible.

Im really struggling to pick which i should get first. So really wanted peoples opinions on which i should get first?

I would also really appreciate any book reccomendations on learning about cats and there behavior\body language as i want to understand cats really well like i can read dogs really well.

Looking for to meeting you all and any advice you can give.

Link to CatChat