Author Topic: Penny  (Read 13061 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Penny
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 17:30:37 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 13:50:59 PM »
That’s a promising step, and just a hiss with no aggression, impressive from Tiffany.

it was a pretty loud hiss though - it made me stand back a bit :evillaugh:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 13:11:56 PM »
That’s a promising step, and just a hiss with no aggression, impressive from Tiffany.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 18:20:39 PM »
Wooooohoooo!!  Each precious step is one to be celebrated.    :wow:

Absolutely, I'd say that is a fairly large step for Pennypuss :Luv:, glad that you aren't immune to silly pet names either Kay. :evillaugh:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 17:47:14 PM »
Wooooohoooo!!  Each precious step is one to be celebrated.    :wow:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2019, 15:18:46 PM »
another smallish step forward - Pennypuss (a compromise new name ;D) and Tiffany came nose to nose this morning, and Pennypuss didn't hiss or growl - just as I thought they were about to share a sisterly kiss, Tiffany hissed and Pennypuss ran off, but it showed Pennypuss is not going to remain determined to avoid Tiffany at all costs
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 15:20:24 PM by Kay&4Ts »
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 06:40:23 AM »

Well done Kay.  Rome wasn't built in a day but you're making real progress.   ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »
she's on the desk again now - the more often she ventures out the more she is going to be dissatisfied with spending all day on her own in the bedroom, so I think we are getting there

when she and Tiffany get close at floor level there is going to be hissing for some time yet, but I haven't heard any of the awful growling Penny first made whenever she saw Tiffany, so it's going to be ok

That is very good news
  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »
she's on the desk again now - the more often she ventures out the more she is going to be dissatisfied with spending all day on her own in the bedroom, so I think we are getting there

when she and Tiffany get close at floor level there is going to be hissing for some time yet, but I haven't heard any of the awful growling Penny first made whenever she saw Tiffany, so it's going to be ok
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 12:30:49 PM »
Glad she is venturing a bit now, and that both of them just hissed at each other.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 09:58:58 AM »
 :wooooo: Penny is currently sitting on my desk by my PC - only the second time she has ventured out of the bedroom - and no doubt she'll scamper back in there when she encounters Tiffany, but it's a start

and yesterday when Penny was on the bed Tiffany jumped on to it - and although there was much hissing on both sides, there was no growling, and both seems unbothered once Tiffany had jumped down again

so there is light at the end of the tunnel
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 14:55:46 PM »
When we got Bass, she lived under a wardrobe for three months. She eventually came out when she felt ready but from then on she stayed in the bedroom, coming out for meals and litter tray visits. Her sister Drum was completely the opposite from the start - she's always been a people cat but Bass didn't want company or toys. She would have a fuss and she loved treats but she never looked for either.
One evening - it might have been six months or even a year later - as she walked past the living room on her way back from the kitchen, she stopped and looked in. Then she walked in (I actualy held my breath!) and jumped on a paper bag lying on the floor. She got bored after a couple of minutes and sauntered back to the bedroom but from then on she started to spend less time in the bedroom and more with us.

So, Penny might be happy where she is right now, but she'll probably change. As long as you're not in a hurry!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 15:09:47 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 13:22:27 PM »
6 weeks in and she still won't venture  out of the bedroom - the only bit of progress is that she sometimes lies on the bed where she can look into the sitting room - I leave the door wide open all day now so she can feel part of the rest of the house

but apart from over-grooming - she hasn't much fur left on the inside of her legs - she still seems happy enough, and I think the over-grooming is more down to boredom than stress
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 13:36:45 PM »
Yes, it could be a lot worse Kay! I regularly wonder why I have cats!
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 21:45:40 PM »
OH I UNDERSTAND ABOUT TEN TON ELEPHANTS LOL

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 18:11:13 PM »
Because we like being bullied. :rofl:

It sounds as if she is coming on well to me. :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 15:57:59 PM »
I suppose things could be a lot worse, if she was nervous of me too - what's Out There, to quote Frances, is 17 year old Tiffany, who only a mouse need be scared of, but cats won't listen, will they :(

I have told her that Liz's boy came down from his wardrobe after 3 months, and I expect better from a feisty girl like her - so we shall see

snuggling up with me on the bed would be nice - what she actually does is plonk herself on my chest or side, depending on how I'm lying, and turns herself from a 4k cat into a 10 ton elephant  :doh:

and rubs her cheeks repeatedly along the sides of my Kindle just to make sure I can't ignore her

remind me again why we have cats
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 13:59:55 PM »
Certainly sounds like she is happy and not willing to move anytime soon Kay, which might be a good thing. I wouldn’t stop going spending time with her though, I don’t think it will entice her out, but could set her back. Maybe not letting Tiffany in will make her feel more comfortable and willing to explore? 4 weeks isn’t long for her to adjust to a new place and a cat with her age, recent upheaval and not being cat-friendly. Lucy had had a home for 6 months before being taken back to the rescue, so I knew it was going to take that at least that long for her to realise this was a permanent situation, it actually took about 8 months, although she still has issues that will never go. What I’ve found with the girls is that fully opening the door is very scary, but only partly opening the door allows them to be curious, but still feel safe, it still took 2 months of doing it just once a week for Chanel to leave the room.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »

I know.  Good point Frances.  It's the snuggling on the bed bit that I think is so sweet.  I wish our Malt would come for a night-time snuggle, but I swear Barley-Gurley "persuaded" her that she "wunt allowed"  :innocent:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »
I agree with Liz that Penny sounds happy.  You said she had been “passed from pillar to post since her owner died” so she’s had a lot to contend with.  Four weeks in the life of an 11 year old is nothing, particularly if she had the same home for most of that time and then her world turned upside down.

She obviously feels secure enough to come down from her safe space for food and ablutions and for a bit of night-time snuggling.  Having already stuck her head out the bedroom to see what’s Out There I’m sure that as she becomes more confident her curiosity will kick in and she’ll start exploring. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 07:03:08 AM »

I'm hoping Penny will realise there's more to life than her wardrobe, bless her, and follow Liz's oldie in terms of venturing forth.

I am chuckling though - isn't it typical of people who share their lives with cats that their homes are adapted as much to the needs of the cats as to our own?  And that's just right and proper.    :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 06:43:22 AM »
Kay they come on their own time and I am sure she is happy, we had an oldies rescue who ate on top of one wardrobe, used the litter tray on the other one -thankful for high ceilings and after about 3 months he came for a wander during the evening and stayed down most of the time he did love his wardrobe though and we even arranged our new bedroom the same as our old house when we moved and he mastered that and the stairs - he was blind by that point x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 22:05:52 PM »
Penny is still spending all day on top of the wardrobe, coming down to eat and use her tray, and joining me on the bed at night - she seems quite happy though, and I leave the door open for Tiffany  to wander in (looking for food, of course) which doesn't bother her much from her ceiling high perch

I have stopped going in during the day to keep her company as I reckon the likeliest way to tempt her down, and out, is getting fed up on her own - she must have sussed by now Tiffany is not much of a threat, and she has taken a few steps out of the bedroom - it's been 4 weeks though so it's going to be a long haul

there seems no point on trying to force things though as Penny would be sure to run straight back to the top of the wardrobe at the earliest opportunity, and we would be no further forward
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 13:01:31 PM »
Oh Kay, this all sounds really promising  ;D

Having integrated Eleanor with James and Christopher and then Misa with my three after Sasa died I can only offer from experience that once the incumbent(s) know there is Another Cat and that they are Not Going Anywhere (which is the “it takes time” bit) you just need to open all the doors and let them get on with it.   I can’t pretend it’s not a bit nerve wracking :Crazy: but provided everyone (including you!) has a space they can escape to, an accommodation will be reached :).

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »
Penny has discovered the top of the wardrobe (and the Flectabed up there :sneaky:) which will help, as there is no way Tiffany could, or would want to, get up there, so Penny can escape her without me having to keep the door shut all the time

I have had to order a tall cat tree to help her get up there though, as the current access via the dressing table leaves her with two big jumps which I think are too much for an 11 year old with possible early arthritis

and she much prefers Sheba to FelixAGAIL, so more expense  :(

I wonder what I used to spend all my money on :shocked:

Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 11:40:02 AM »
She won't have to get used to a new name along with the other changes either. :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 16:40:27 PM »
I'll see what I can do - don't think there's going to be any photos of them together just yet though - Tuppy howls at the sight of Tiffany, and flees back into the bedroom - I suppose the fact that Tiffany has decided she's no threat is progress of a sort, but persuading Tuppy is going to take time

I need to get Tiffany out into the garden so Tuppy can explore the sitting room without any chance of meeting her, but it's going to have to get a good deal warmer to separate Tiffany from her cushion by the heater

I've not had to do this introducing thing before, but neither cat is unhappy if I keep them apart, so I guess I have to let it take as long as it takes

and I've changed my mind - Penny suits her and so Penny she will stay, and I shall have to hope my nephew's wife Penny understands :naughty:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 20:01:39 PM by Kay&4Ts »
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 15:43:14 PM »

Any chance of a pic of your lovely new girl Tuppy and while you're  at it that other bully Tiffany Kay?  ;)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 20:16:59 PM »
GREAT NEWS AND AM SURE SHE WILL BE VERY HAPPY

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 13:38:09 PM »
Aww, bless her. Do hope they can find their own space, and at least the first sighting of each other wasn't too bad.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 11:26:47 AM »
Yes Paula, I was thinking of Tommy and Tuppence too  ;D I'm gad that the new resident seems to be settling in well and that Tiffany was not frightened of her.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 07:25:39 AM »
I am glad that neither were traumatised by the encounter, Tuppence is a good name, reminds me of Agatha Christie novels, Tommy and Tuppence.  :)[/size ]

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 23:24:55 PM »
Penny arrived on Sunday - she is not a Russian Blue, which I rather suspected as they are few and far between  - fur much too dark and body shape much too rounded, but she is gorgeouos anyway, and affectionate right away

she is living in my bedroom at the moment, and sleeping under my chin - I have let her see Tiffany, and Tiffany see her, by opening the door between them, as I feared they are both so quiet they would not be aware of each other for weeks so gradual introductions were a bit pointless - and fortunately Tiffany flew at her and she ran back into the bedroom, which is so much better than her frightening Tiffany - neither was traumatized by the encounter, if tucking into their food is a good indicator

She can stay undisturbed in my bedroom until we have some really nice weather, so I can carry her into the enclosure and sit with them - I think they will mind each other less outside

I am going to change her name because there are two Pennys in my family - she is now Tuppence, and I shall call her Tuppy
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 00:12:57 AM »
:crossed: that Tiffany and Penny can come to an accommodation in time :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 21:54:12 PM »
Good luck to all three of you. :Luv:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 21:26:01 PM »
I hope that Penny settles quickly and doesn't cause Tiffany undue worry.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 20:53:32 PM »
      oh Kay.

Sounds like Tiffany mat have to absorb the mischief,  and the camaraderiea

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Penny
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 20:42:53 PM »
Spare a thought, everyone, for Tiffany, who having finally seen off that pesky Tosker is about to have her peace shattered by the arrival of Penny - an 11 year old Russian Blue who has been passed from pillar to post since her owner died, until someone who knows me heard about her and suggeted I be approached to see if I would take her. My head said no, because I'm pretty sure it will upset Tiffany, who is almost 17 now, but I felt so sorry for this girl, who it seems too many people liked the idea of but struggled to integrate, as apparently she hates other cats.  So on Sunday she is coming here. I'm hoping the enclosed back garden will make a difference to the integration, as Tiffany is more likely to cope with a stranger in her garden rather than one in the same room. Meanwhile Penny will have to share my bedroom.

I just hope she won't be able to climb the fence, like Tosker did - Trigger tried but never managed it, and Tiffany has never tried, but it is still a worry. Apparently she has some early arthritis in one leg which may be a blessing. And remember that although Tosker escaped on his very first night, and stayed out for 3 months, he turned into a total loverpuss in the end.

But sleepless nights coming up, I fear, if only for me :scared:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 20:02:03 PM by Kay&4Ts »
Robert A. Heinlein:

Link to CatChat