Author Topic: Should I cover the cat-flap?  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Should I cover the cat-flap?
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 08:30:02 AM »

It's a funny thing with cats - some of them love to look out of the windows and see what's going on.  Other, more timid cats, get spooked by things that look in the windows from the outside (like other cats).

A friend of ours has a complex cat tunnel which leads down through the floorboards of their property and out through what was an old air brick, now enlarged, and into their garden  (which is slightly sunken in nature).   I guess we do what we must for our cats.   :shify:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 23:48:16 PM »
We live in a flat, the only direct route to outside is through the wall. We have a large window alongside the cat-flap but usually have the blinds closed once the light is going (so quite late at this time of year but much earlier in winter). Alf still prefers to peer through the cat-flap though! Covering it really didn't work, Alf could move anything temporary that I tried to use, but Alf seems to be more relaxed recently anyway.

Offline no1catman

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Kitty
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 22:05:57 PM »
I must admit, I can't get passed that going through a cavity wall (certainly a challenge for the cat to get through) was not the best but 'only' option!? Aren't there any doors (preferably with glass panels) nearby, that could have been used?
Which brings me to the next query, do you have any windows nearby that the cat could look out of - to keep watch for the unwanted tom-cat!?
My cat (when not sleeping) loves to stare out of the upstairs bedroom window, downstairs will do the same with the French-doors, too much of a diva to go through the kitchen back-door cat-flap during the day, but at least does during the night - helped by movement sensor lights just outside.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 14:44:53 PM »
I'm not sure that it is really making much difference, TBH. It is just a temporary cover that Alf pushes out of the way to get out in the morning, he can also push it away to look for the Floofy Monsta, so it is not really serving its purpose. It's hard to know whether to go for something permanent with so little information  :(

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 13:35:40 PM »
How is it going Lyn? Is Alfie happier with the cat flap covered?
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »
I put up a very temporary cover yesterday but it is really too soon to see how Alf reacts.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 05:29:28 AM »

I'd definitely look at something temporary in nature, but solid enough it's not readily disturbed by Alf.  Poor lad.  Trooders can be a real pain. 

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 02:10:33 AM »
SORRY NO IDEAS ON THIS

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 20:15:47 PM »
I'm thinking of just putting a box or something in front of the flap for now. As long as Alf can't just push it out of the way, it should be enough to see if it helps. It might also cut down the draught that comes through that aperture too!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 19:16:15 PM »
Maybe a silly thought, but you could knock together a small panel that would fit inside the cat flap door bit and remove it when you unlock it, then Alf wouldn't be able to see Mr Floof when the door was locked. Just wire and canvas or felt would do the job.

It wouldn't help if it made Alfie more nervous not being able to see Mr Floof though. Cheap enough to bin though if it did.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »
Thanks Sue. Yes, I am only thinking of covering the flap when it is locked, not blocking Alf's route to outside.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »

It's a tricky one, Lyn.  Jackson Galaxy is an advocate of sight blocking, but I wouldn't want to block access to the flap, personally.  try covering the flap when its not in use and see how that works. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
Should I cover the cat-flap?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:17:57 AM »
The background -

We have our cat-flap in the lounge wall, it is really about the only place we could put it. As it goes through the cavity wall, there is quite a long tunnel between the lounge and the outside world. The flap is controlled by micro-chip, so only Alf can come in.

My chair is very near to the cat-flap. This was dictated by availability of electrical sockets for my powered rise/recline chair and ease of watching the TV.

The problem -

There is a big, fluffy, white + black cat in the area who beats up on Alf  :( Alf seems constantly worried at the moment and can often be seen peering out through the cat flap 'Is ee der? Am I sayf?' Even when he is on my lap, his eyes are fixed on the flap - although he does relax eventually.

The lounge blinds are usually closed, so Alf cannot see out through the windows. However, I have tried leaving the blinds open (that wouldn't really be a permanently workable solution) but it really doesn't make any difference - I guess the angle is too acute to see the area by the flap properly.

Alf seems fine otherwise. His litter tray is near to the flap and we haven't had any inappropriate marking etc

The question -

Do you think it would be a good idea to cover the cat-flap when it is locked, or might that make Alf worse because he can't see if Bad Cat is there? The potential problem with that is that Alf wouldn't be able to go out before brekfus if we were late up. He would much rather go out than use his litter tray.

Do my PurrsPals have any advice please?

Link to CatChat