Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Should I cover the cat-flap?

(1/3) > >>

Sue P (Paddysmum):

It's a funny thing with cats - some of them love to look out of the windows and see what's going on.  Other, more timid cats, get spooked by things that look in the windows from the outside (like other cats).

A friend of ours has a complex cat tunnel which leads down through the floorboards of their property and out through what was an old air brick, now enlarged, and into their garden  (which is slightly sunken in nature).   I guess we do what we must for our cats.   :shify:

Lyn (Slugsta):
We live in a flat, the only direct route to outside is through the wall. We have a large window alongside the cat-flap but usually have the blinds closed once the light is going (so quite late at this time of year but much earlier in winter). Alf still prefers to peer through the cat-flap though! Covering it really didn't work, Alf could move anything temporary that I tried to use, but Alf seems to be more relaxed recently anyway.

no1catman:
I must admit, I can't get passed that going through a cavity wall (certainly a challenge for the cat to get through) was not the best but 'only' option!? Aren't there any doors (preferably with glass panels) nearby, that could have been used?
Which brings me to the next query, do you have any windows nearby that the cat could look out of - to keep watch for the unwanted tom-cat!?
My cat (when not sleeping) loves to stare out of the upstairs bedroom window, downstairs will do the same with the French-doors, too much of a diva to go through the kitchen back-door cat-flap during the day, but at least does during the night - helped by movement sensor lights just outside.

Lyn (Slugsta):
I'm not sure that it is really making much difference, TBH. It is just a temporary cover that Alf pushes out of the way to get out in the morning, he can also push it away to look for the Floofy Monsta, so it is not really serving its purpose. It's hard to know whether to go for something permanent with so little information  :(

Judecat (Paula):
How is it going Lyn? Is Alfie happier with the cat flap covered?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version