Author Topic: Had to let Bruce go today  (Read 6225 times)

Offline gatughirl

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Millie
Re: Had to let Bruce go today
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 20:25:16 PM »
I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s such a difficult time xx

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 20:27:43 PM »
Jezebel, I am so sorry that you have lost your lovely boy  :hug: Don't forget that cats are very good at hiding it when they are in pain or unwell, it is a protective mechanism for them. That's why you didn't realise how poorly Bruce was, not because you did anything wrong  :hug:

RIP Bruce, play hard at the Bridge brave boy.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 21:29:33 PM »
Thanks Sue. The guilt is just from wishing I could have spotted earlier just how sick he was. I know it wouldn't have saved him.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 18:43:15 PM »

Jezebel, you have nothing - nothing - to feel guilty about.  Bruce could have died in a rescue, or worse.  He didn't.  He knew love.  He had his issues, but you didn't judge.  You accepted him for who he was.    That's huge.   :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 17:40:30 PM »
Aw, thanks.  :hug: One thing OH and I were determined about was that Bruce wasn't going back to the rescue.

Still feeling guilty though - I know it's normal but it's hard to deal with.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 16:56:06 PM »
I'm sorry for you all but as everyone has said you bent over backwards to help him when you could have sent him back to the rescue and he had a great home for his last months  you are amazing x

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
Thanks everyone, all your comments really help.  :hug:
It all feels a bit unreal today, Bruce wasn't here very long and had so many peculiar behaviours that there was no typical day with him so I feel something is missing but I don't know what. If that makes sense.
I just feel so sorry for the poor lad, he had such a terrible life. I know he had a good couple of months with us, but it seems so unfair it was cut short.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 08:14:42 AM »
I'm so very sorry to hear this, but as others have said, please don't feel you did nothing, thanks to you he had a home for the end of his life, and owners who did everything to deal with his issues rather than just give up and give him back to the rescue. And then you opted to let him go peacefully rather than put him through procedures
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 01:44:20 AM »
SO VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS

RIP BRUCE, BRAVE BOY

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 18:08:37 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss. We can only try our best and you kept his as comfortable and happy as you could.
Run free at the bridge Bruce x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 18:07:21 PM »
So sorry for your loss Jezebel. :hug: :hug: :hug:

You gave him safety and security in his final months and that was priceless, and the dignity of passing before he got distressed.

R.I.P Bruce. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 17:38:25 PM »
So very sorry for your loss, you gave him love and a home and many never get that chance and he has  left pawprints in your heart for ever x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 17:30:27 PM »

I agree.  You gave him the biggest and best gift - a safe and loving place for his last months.  That has a value beyond price.  But I'm gutted for you.  Xxxxx

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 17:06:28 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Bless him.  You did do something for him - you gave him a lovely home and let him go when it was too much for him to continue in this world.

:hug: :hug:

RIP Bruce

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Had to let Bruce go today
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 16:35:07 PM »
I can't really believe this but after all we've been through with Bruce, hoping that eventually we'd get him healthy and happy, today we had to let him go.

He'd become quite ill over the last couple of days - coughing, laboured breathing and not wanting to move much. Took him to the vet today and they found a lot of fluid on his chest. More investigation showed he had massive heart damage. The only alternative would have been to drain his chest and put him through more procedures, and then more medication, with a strong chance of it not working. Given his age and already poor state of health, we felt it was unfair to put him through any more.

I'm gutted. I miss him so much already and feel so bad that in the end we could do nothing for him.

RIP you gorgeous, gentle lad - affectionate and purring right to the end. I hope you enjoyed your first couple of months with us when you played and had fun in the garden. So sorry we couldn't do any more.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 16:37:02 PM by jezebel »

Link to CatChat