Author Topic: Sky just had strange 'event'  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Sky just had strange 'event'
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »
The vet agrees with our 'diagnosis' of partial seizure/petit mal' but, of course, has no idea what might have caused it. Everything was AOK on examination today.

Sky recovered fully within a few minutes, so that seems to exclude a vestibular stroke, thankfully.

The options were to start investigations with blood tests or to put steroids back to previous dose and watch/wait. Given Sky's extreme nervousness, I opted to increase the steroids and watch. So she will go back to 1/2 tab on alternate days, which is not a huge dose considering she had 1/2 tab twice a day for more than a year. We can put does up again if she has any further 'events'.

Madam has had a bit to eat and is hiding out under our bed. I hope/expect she will slink out later on, fingers crossed she will come to me for a fuss.

Like many people, I don't handle uncertainty well and like to think I am in control of my life. Sky is a real lesson in uncertainty; in taking each day as it comes and not worrying what the future may bring!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »

Try to trust your instincts Lyn.  If you are anything like me, you will start questioning what you saw.  If it happens again and you are unable to video properly, suggest you write down your best description straight away  :hug: :hug:

When I initially saw Dinah move the tip of her tail on NY Eve, I was second guessing myself minutes later until OH saw it too.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 22:56:48 PM »
It is frustrating because, of course, the vet will only have my description to go on. It certainly seemed like some sort of neurological problem again (you might remember that she was very unsteady last year and still has a cute head tilt)  :(

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 19:59:11 PM »
Sorry Lyn, Sue has suggested the only things I can think of, I hope the vet provides and answer tomorrow without too much stress for poor Sky. :( :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 18:37:58 PM »

Sorry Lyn, I don't know what it could be

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 18:17:07 PM »
Fingers crossed the vet gives you answers tomorrow
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 18:12:34 PM »

Could be a mini stroke or Nystagmus which can be a neurological disorder like vestibular.  Given how Sky was, it could be a side effect of the steroid reduction too.  Am glad she seems back to normal now x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 17:47:15 PM »
Good thinking Susanne, thank you!

Sky seems fine now, she has come onto my lap for attention and is purring as usual.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 17:45:07 PM »
Sorry Lyn, I don't have any suggestions but didn't want to read and run.  It does sound a bit like some sort of absence seizure?    Poor love.  I hope she's ok and that it doesn't happen again.

Difficult I know as you obviously don't know when (or if) it will happen again, but if you could video it on your phone to show the vet that might be helpful?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
Sky just had strange 'event'
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 17:31:30 PM »
Hi all,

I wonder if any of you have seen anything like Sky has just experienced?

She was lying quietly on the bed but suddenly sat up and looked as if she had seen/heard something that worried her. Her head was going in all directions and her eyes flickering. This carried on for several minutes. Then she tried to move and seemed to walk round in a circle. Afterwards she is obviously spooked but seems OK otherwise.

I phoned the vet and the receptionist/vet nurse didn't think it was worth upsetting Sky further by taking her in this evening (unless it happens again) but we have an appointment for tomorrow with the advice to let Sky have a quiet evening and phone them (or the emergency vet) if I am worried.

With hindsight, I think the same thing might have happened a few weeks ago but didn't last as long and Sky seemed extra anxious for a while afterwards.

Possibly pertinent is that we are currently slowly reducing Sky's steroids, she has been on them for 18 months, she has just dropped from 1/2 tablet alt days to 1/4 tablet alt days. You might, or might not, remember that we don't know what it was that made Sky so poorly last year but she improved hugely with the steroids.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Link to CatChat