Author Topic: Should I adopt one more???  (Read 3513 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Should I adopt one more???
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 14:34:48 PM »
She had been put on a renal diet for a month and lost quarter of a kilo as she wasn't eating it, despite trying about 5 different types. She also doesn't eat any of the senior food I've tried, and only eats wet food!!!  :censored: awkward!!!

I kind of wish I'd not suspected something was going on and they would have been none the wiser about one slightly abnormal kidney...!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 14:05:41 PM »
We have an oldie diabetic with one kidney and he is now nearly 17 and doing very well, eats normal senior food as he wasn't for eating anything special and we tried everything kidney related, he gets his full bloods once a year and is in the vets words hale and hearty
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 13:30:30 PM »
It would definitely be worth seeing what would be included. I would definitely get your vets opinion about scans too and ask how much they charge. I understand them wanting to monitor it, but unless her values start increasing, I’m not sure what benefit you would get from scanning her kidney. Buster had to have one of his kidneys removed and we did change him to a renal diet to help his remaining kidney, so that may be something they will suggest in the future, and another cost to consider. He had been put on an ACE inhibitor initially by my old vet, but when I changed vet we took him off it, tested him after a month and his kidney worked better without it.
Please spay your cat

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 14:17:34 PM »
Thanks everyone!  :thanks:

I might chat with the vets to double check everything that's included in the plan, they said I could go in and speak with someone.

Rosella, I suppose if her kidney enzymes become raised, they may want to scan to see what's going on? That's what I assume anyways, it's just what the vet said. I think the one that's used is a bit OTT with tests though!

I tried to attach a pic, but don't know how to reduce the size on my phone, but this is a link to the website.

She's so funny, always gets food on her nose every time she eats!!!  :evillaugh:

http://www.westgateark.org.uk

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 08:49:52 AM »

Can I ask purpose of occasional abdominal scans?  How would results affect treatment?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »

Am wondering if the charity you foster for might be able to  afford to split long term vet bills with you?

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 20:45:00 PM »
I would go with my heart and keep her, but only if you can afford it. I have been in the situation of scrabbling for pemmies for dentals etc. and it isn't funny.

Maybe a permanent/long term foster where the charity would pay the vet bills could be the answer?

Good luck, whatever you decide. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 20:37:33 PM »
I think you should keep her, she is going to be hard to home unfortunately, and the fact they all get on is a bonus - could the charity help with her bloods/scans? Am surprised how much they are charging for them though, am sure Busters abdominal ones only cost about £40, his heart ones were more expensive, but no more than £100. If she stays, you may need to practice tough love at bedtime though!
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 15:35:31 PM »
SOUNDS LIKE YOU WOULD BE HER PERSONNAL CHOICE  ;D ;D

It certainly does   :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 18:01:06 PM »
SOUNDS LIKE YOU WOULD BE HER PERSONNAL CHOICE  ;D ;D

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 15:27:18 PM »
she does sound like she would be up against it on the rehoming front

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 15:21:33 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Hi Emma.  Given all of the circumstances, and her prospects of getting anyone who will give her a forever home with the odds stacked against her, I suspect you know that I would say it would be fantastic for her to have her chance with you.  You know exactly what you would be taking on, and you have the presence of mind to deal with the increase in your family with the necessary care and tact that new additions require.

I think the Senior Plan is really good.  I also know you will care for her with all your heart and means, just as you did when you took on Evie.

I think the name is a sign.   :naughty:  That, and the fact she's already settled in well.   :-:

But, don't let me sway you one way or the other......   :shify: :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
Should I adopt one more???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 14:56:48 PM »
Sorry have not been on Purrs for AGES!!!

Bit of a long story I'm afraid : we have a 15 year old foster cat, and have had her for almost 4 months now as she had suspected health issues and was having vet treatment. The outcome is she had a dental, and has one kidney that is slightly abnormal which will need monitoring. Her bloods were fine last time they were done. Vets say she will need monitoring with regular blood tests and occasional abdominal scans.

She has been OK in our house, our 3 cats tolerate each other and her them (although there was initially some grumbling, but no issues). She is super sweet, a real character, and we both love her to pieces. However, I am still sleeping in the spare room with her every night...! When we go to bed, she comes into our bedroom and she looks at me, wanting me to go into 'her room' with her! Although I don't mind, it's not ideal! She does venture out throughout the day, but she feels that is her place.

There has been some interest in her, but whenever potential costs are mentioned, it puts people off. I spoke to someone in great length about her last week, then messaged her after the weekend to arrange a meeting and also told her potential costs could be £50 - £100 for bloods, and about £300 for a scan. I haven't heard back since.

After being a failed fosterer already with Evie, I don't want to be again, and think I could have let her go if we hadn't had her for so long. I also said I wouldn't get another cat as it would put Evie & Denzels noses out.

Also, she does like to go outdoors, and not being very fast or agile, our area is pretty safe and quiet.

I enquired at my vets (although I haven't told OH) and they do a senior plan which costs £17/ month and includes health checks, vaccinations, nail clipping, blood tests, flea & worm, discounted dentals (can't remember if she said 10% or 15% off).

I think I need help making a final decision whether I should keep her or not - OH difinitely does!!!

Oh, and she is called Emma just like me!

Link to CatChat