Author Topic: Silvie not very well  (Read 18185 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Silvie not very well
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2018, 21:53:58 PM »
Oh Heather, so sorry to hear this. I've still got everything crossed that Silvie gets through this.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2018, 20:50:53 PM »
vet nurse got it wrong she didnt have low blood sugar. it was high at 13.9. She is very poorly, I have brought her home and she is in a cage in my bedroom. Eyesight gone in one eye and she is having little fits still. Vet still thinks its a brain tumour. She is on Metronidazole liquid and have to give her another dose through a syringe in the morning. (If she is still with me). Can't believe it. He said if it was a brain infection it would have showed up in her bloods, though I have a copy and looks like her neutrophils are slightly high at 22.19.  :( :( :( :( :(

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2018, 18:35:40 PM »
GOOD LUCK

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2018, 17:29:58 PM »
off to vets soon. Her bloods didnt show any infection apparently but low blood glucose and potassium. Apparently LBS can cause seizures. She has been on steroids for quite a while and I have googled it and apparently lots of steroids can cause diabetes which  can cause fits. Interesting. Will update you later. Meantime she has been on Metranidazole and Diazepam. 

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2018, 14:59:49 PM »
How horrible for you both! I am sending you both lots of love  :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2018, 14:08:48 PM »
THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN A CAT WHO HAS FITS AND SENDING LOADS OF GOOD VIBES TO SILVIE AND YOU

MY LATE NAPOLEON HAD SEIZURES AND THEY NEVER FOUND OUT WHY AND I USED TO HAVE TO INJECT HIM FOR A WEEK AFTER ONE

I DO HOPE THEY FIND THE REASON AND IT CAN BE CURED
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 16:45:55 PM by Misa »

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2018, 13:59:46 PM »
Poor Silvie (and you!), talk about a rollercoaster!

Everything crossed that the vet can find out what's causing this. Not knowing what you're dealing with is so worrying because you have no idea what's going to happen next.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2018, 13:38:30 PM »

No experience of this, Heather, but am also sending my love and my strongest vibes for Silvie and you.   :hug: :hug:  Let us know how you get on.  Have everything crossed.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 13:29:04 PM »
oh how awful for you heather, I've no experience of anything like this but just wanted to send you a  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2018, 13:13:57 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed for her
Please spay your cat

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2018, 13:08:29 PM »
Silvies nasal swabs came back with mixed bacteria. This morning I had to rush her back to vets as she was fitting. She had 4 fits in the surgery. A different vet was on and he looked at xrays done few weeks ago said he could not see anything really suspicious but very concerned. Said it could be meningitis (hoping so) or could be a tumour. This morning she was fine, ate her breakfast and then just started yowling and fitting. My poor Silvie. They are going to give her a shot of Diazepam hopefully to stop fits and put her on a Metranidazole drip which is used to reach brain infections. Really hoping the bacteria from her nose has caused a brain infection. So horrible to see her fitting like that. Everything crossed for when the vet rings me later on. Has anyone elses cat ever had meningitis? :'( :'( :'(

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2018, 16:18:04 PM »
COME ON SILVIE THATS THE WAY

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 15:12:56 PM »
Thanks for the update Heather  ;D

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for all your good wishes :Luv:  Silvie had a good night, ate every scrap of food and sitting on my bed purring away. Am still trying to convince myself it is a chronic infection and she needs more than 2 weeks worth of antibiotic cover. :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2018, 18:41:55 PM »

Heather, am sorry all of this has come at such a crucial time for You, finance-wise.  Hope you can get another job soon x

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2018, 18:38:41 PM »
Went back to vets today, the results of her nasal swab came back negative. Most likely due to her antibiotic injection that covered her for 2 weeks had only run out 2 days before. The vet did say it could have shown up something but it didnt which is a shame. She had another nasal swab done, even though she is on antibiotic cover still, but she put a syringe into her nostril a few times and got some good samples. She also took a laryngeal swab to test for virology i.e herpes, calicivirus etc. Silvie was so good!  She had another steroid injection and while I was out this afternoon she ate a whole small tin of gourmet pate. She is still a bit sleepy but much better than sunday. Vet said its so frustrating, she really wants to help her and an MRI would tell where the problem was but I haven't got that sort of money. I wish the cat charities would have an MRI for poor people like me. I walked out of my job last week too! Good job I have just taken out a credit card, todays little trip cost me £329 :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:  There is still a possibility she has a foreign body in her nose, and they can flush them out but thats another anaesthetic and more £££. Will wait to see what the viral screen shows. Such a worry these cats are :( :(

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2018, 15:34:55 PM »
Any news yet, Heather? How's Silvie today?

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2018, 14:58:42 PM »
SENDING LOADS OF GOOD VIBES FOR SILVIE AND HOPE THEY CAN SORT HER OUT QUICK

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2018, 13:39:20 PM »
We have found Veraflox tablets better for green snot they are really tiny and can be hidden in most soft treats, they work a treat I think Covenia is seen as the total injections but sometimes the oldie like Synulox work better they come in liquid and tablet form

I do think vets have forgotten that Convenia is only licenced for a couple of things, and think all pet owners like an injection so you don’t have the hassle of medicating, but unfortunately it doesn’t treat everything and as it is long lasting, you then can’t use something that might be more effective. I appreciate it’s usefulness with certain cats, but avoid it as much as possible personally.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2018, 07:53:19 AM »
Fingers crossed that this is something easily sorted for poor Sylvie, and sending all best wishes for you too, you must be so worried. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2018, 21:00:04 PM »
I'm sorry that Sylvie is poorly again and am sending healing vibes ~~~

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2018, 18:29:53 PM »

Sending soothing vibes for Silvie.  Easy breathers.   :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2018, 14:03:12 PM »
We have found Veraflox tablets better for green snot they are really tiny and can be hidden in most soft treats, they work a treat I think Covenia is seen as the total injections but sometimes the oldie like Synulox work better they come in liquid and tablet form
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2018, 13:41:18 PM »
Might be worth pointing this out to your vet, 4% of the trial did develop lethargy - and this is just the first link I clicked on.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/249522-side-effects-of-convenia/
Please spay your cat

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2018, 13:33:58 PM »
Oh poor Silvie, she's having a hard time.

It does sound like she's reacted badly to the flu jab, she's probably still fighting off whatever the mystery illness is.

Sending gentle snoozles to Silvie.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2018, 13:29:18 PM »
Poor Sylvie - it could be the Convenia jab, I wouldn't let them use it again personally - and the downside now is if the swab shows she needs a different antibiotic, she might not be able to have it until that has worn off. Fingers crossed for the results.
Please spay your cat

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2018, 13:01:13 PM »
Silvie went downhill again yesterday. Sat night she was fine, bouncing around, even came downstairs and sat with me and eating well. Yest she just lay on the bed, not eating or drinking and very lethargic. Lots of green stuff coming back out of her nose and she was sneezing and gagging :sick:. This morning she seemed a tiny bit brighter but I took her back to vet and she had some subcutaneous fluids as she was a bit dehydrated and a steroid injection. I then remember that when she had her 1st COnvenia anti bio jab a few weeks ago, 2 days later she was like this, lethargic with no appetite. She had another Convenia jab last Friday and 2 days later went downhill again, so maybe its a reaction to that? The vet didnt know of any cats having reactions like this but said it is possible. I also gave her an Advocate flea treatment Sat so maybe it was all a bit much for her?  She is now sitting on my bed and has eaten a good few mouthfulls of food, so must be feeling a bit better.They took a nasal swab friday, so hoping to get results back tomorrow and see if it tells us anything............ :(

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2018, 22:59:23 PM »
SENDING SILVIE BEST WISHES

I DIDNT KNOW OR HAD FORGOTTEN SHE HAD RADIO IODINE TREATMENT LIKE MISA

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2018, 19:17:25 PM »
Silvie went back for her check up today. Yesterday I noticed some green gunk coming out of her nostril again :sick: She has lost a tiny bit of weight, gone from 3.3 to 3.2. No temperature. Vet thought she seemed a bit more subdued today than last week. Silvie prob knew she was going to have a greased thermometer where the sun doesnt shine, her jaw pulled apart, her eyeballs poked, her chest listened to and then a nasty needle in the back of her neck :(  Vet took a nasal swab to send away, although one of my medical friends that because her last antibiotic covered her for 2 weeks which would have run out weds this week, its possible it won't grow anything. I'm hoping it does. Still could be a sinus/fungal infection, foreign body, or I was looking up fungal infection called Aspergillosis which can be found in cats noses/lungs, especially if they have a compromised immune system. As she had her thyroid zapped with radioactive iodine 2 years ago, I presume her immune system may be somewhat compromised. Should get the results back Mon or Tues next week.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2018, 05:28:05 AM »

Topping up the soothing vibes for Silvie xxx

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2018, 00:18:06 AM »
Yes she ate it the 1st time but not since >:(

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2018, 20:30:03 PM »
That is really good news Heather  ;D Have you tried the cat putty for the tablets?

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2018, 20:27:13 PM »
Silvie is still doing well, eating well and seems happy. Doesn't want to go out though. Still sneezing on and off but no more gunk or blood coming out of her nose. Still doing her best to avoid taking her steroid pill little madam! Back to vets on Friday morning for a check up.  ;D

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 13:46:12 PM »
Sounds like she's well on the mend, lovely to hear.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 13:35:51 PM »
Glad the vet is happy with Sylvie, fingers crossed it was just a sinus infection that had spread and she continues to improve.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 13:16:55 PM »
ITS SUCH A WORRY WHEN CATS ARE ILL BUT I DO HOPE THAT SYLVIE HAS TURNED THE CORNER AND IS ON HER WAY BACK TO HEALTH AGAIN

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 07:00:32 AM »

This is such a good post to start the day.   ;D  Heather, it's natural you'll read up on it - we all do it.  And whilst it can help us be "aware" and can give lots of useful food for thought, worrying about "what if" won't change the current position, or alter what is going on in Silvie's body, so I'd say let each day take its course, and see what happens.  Hopefully, she'll go from strength to strength.  Just enjoy seeing her making the most of life again.   :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 22:18:29 PM »
Thanks for the update Heather, long may Sylvie continue to improve. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2018, 19:23:39 PM »
Vet really pleased with Silvie today, although she kept wriggling when trying to have her eyes and mouth looked at! She has put on weight, up from 3 kgs to 3.3!  She jumped off the table and walked around and then eyed up the window sill. Vet was saying look at her she wants to jump up there. Silvie then did! Knocking off a few things too :naughty: Vet wants to keep her on steroids for another 10 days and then see her back again. She stlil would like her to go for MRI scan to clarify but I haven't got £3k.  She still not sure what it was, maybe a tumour with infection round it, but I don't think it was that, I am sure she would have been having fits and really ill. Hoping still it was a sinus infection that spread. But she looks so well at the moment I hope she stays like that. Vet said if any problems or she goes downhill again (which could happen but hopefully not) to bring her back.  I did scare myself reading on the internet that if people/pets have radiotherapy sometimes it can cause brain tumours and she did have radioactive iodine treatment over 2 years ago, but I am sure I am just scaring myself and thats not the case. Will keep you all posted :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 06:52:50 AM »

Morning Heather

Hoping that everything goes really well for today.   ;D :hug:

Link to CatChat