Author Topic: How do you get insurance for rescues without previous medical history?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How do you get insurance for rescues without previous medical history?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 13:50:49 PM »
I've had rescue cats insured with various insurers over the years, and they have accepted as much history as the vet has on them, I've never had one require 2 years, mine have all been 12 months.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 23:32:52 PM »
Sky is insured with PDSA and Alf with PetPlan, neither of them had histories as they were both rescued.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 18:25:57 PM »

Definitely shop around fairy100.  Insurers will offer different products, and not all require a history, particularly with rescue cats.  Use comparison sites, and check the level of cover very carefully to ensure you get a level of cover which is suitable. 

As with Paula, talk to the insurers if in doubt.  We use Healthy Pets for our 3.  Two of them are semi feral, and we can't get them to the vets without a major struggle.  They're covered for anything other than a disease resulting from lack of vaccinations.  Our Insurance is still less then £14.00 per month for the two, and Moray who is older (and much more amenable to vet visits) is not much more, even though we had to make a claim this summer.  All are rescue cats.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 17:55:28 PM »
My insurer, Bought By Many didn't ask for a two year history, only that the cats had full up to date vaccinations, they did ask for any pre existing conditions though, so I had to say that Merlin is FIV. They won't cover anything arising from that, but will cover anything else, they do provide a good level of cover for my five at £54 per month. I also have my vets Pet Plan that covers all vaccs, wormers and flea treatments and saves me about a third on vet treatments. Worth exploring.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline fairy100

• Kitten
  • Slave to: incognito
How do you get insurance for rescues without previous medical history?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 15:25:17 PM »
Hoe can you get rescue cats insured upon rescuing/adoption if you are not able to provide the insurer with the 2 year minimum vet history that insurers require? Thanks.

Link to CatChat