Author Topic: Outdoor cat frustration  (Read 5236 times)

Offline tryanny23

• Kitten
  • Slave to: maggie
Re: Outdoor cat frustration
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 09:31:54 AM »
Yep, I agreed with that harness thing. Looks like my cat feels uncomfortable and she just stays there and like you said Sootyca, giant flat slug with fur lol.

Sometimes cat feels okay with the harness, maybe need some kind of training session first, my previous experience, the indoor cat seems not so like with the harness, maybe the majority time of its life spent inside a home, it feels weird and uncomfortable.

My personal opinion, the best thing to entertain outdoor cat is to bring him outside and put him inside something, I mean the cat backpack, as far as I concern there is a backpack that has something like a space capsule, your cat can enjoy the beautiful scenery as well, I do a quick search, see here. Lol, I wish I could go hiking with my cat.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 23:09:04 PM »
I have an indoor cat who only eats dry food so its out most of the day. I measure out his daily allowance and i will take some have use as treats for play and the rest i put in his bowls, one at the top of the stairs and one at the top of his tower, therefore he has to run up and down or climb to get food. My vet recommend it as he was getting tubby and he has lost his weight again, i also have the James Wellbeloved lite version too. Another one is to take him out on the lead and we have a little walk around the street....i think he believes he is a dog, the poor cat. haha

I put Sky on a lead/harness once.....she flobbed on the floor and wouldn't move.......she was like a giant flat slug.  :rofl:  I tried the same outside (she is indoors through her choice!) and she set off at a run inside pulling me along behind her as it started to rain.  Never tried it since!  She's had 3 days on reduced food and enforced play and this is going to continue.  She is diabetic which doesn't help as I have to watch what she eats.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
I have an indoor cat who only eats dry food so its out most of the day. I measure out his daily allowance and i will take some have use as treats for play and the rest i put in his bowls, one at the top of the stairs and one at the top of his tower, therefore he has to run up and down or climb to get food. My vet recommend it as he was getting tubby and he has lost his weight again, i also have the James Wellbeloved lite version too. Another one is to take him out on the lead and we have a little walk around the street....i think he believes he is a dog, the poor cat. haha

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 19:26:11 PM »
I might have to get Sky the wheel.......vet check and she HAS to lose weight......

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 15:22:04 PM »
Hi hun
Pm me your addy and I will send a freebie for him
Tan
X

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 14:31:19 PM »
Mine like their cat treat tower and treat ball.

Neither of mine even look at their tower, so frustrating as it's not small and I live in quite a small cottage :p

We play with a dangly thing on a string but that's not done the trick either. At the moment I've taken to throwing a few cat nip treats all over the living room. Since he has to race Trixie (who doesn't like the taste of the treats but rushes to find them, lick them and then remember that she hates them  :Crazy: ) it's keeping him entertained for a little bit. Don't want him to have too many though since he's not going out to burn them off.

I'm hoping that when I go back to work next week he will start seeing the time I'm away as sleep and be ready to burn some energy when I'm home, rather than it being 'mums home I want to play' all day long.

Will check out the Cat It Race thing, might keep him entertained for five minutes haha!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 16:25:46 PM »
I just play with Loopy and the feather toy a lot, saying that he isn't that interested at the moment so just got him a new fishing wand toy with feathers and leather dangly bits. I have also got a catnip filled teddy especially for Sasa as she does lurve her teddy. She used it as a pillow all the way from North Wales to here in the car.

The Cat It race tracks are good as well, mine use theirs all the time as well as the Cat It treat tower in the middle. I might have been looking for summat else and bought another as they clip together. :-[ As well as a cat massage thing to go in the other side of the figure of eight. :shify: :shify:

Laser pens are always good value too.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
Mine like their cat treat tower and treat ball. I also make them a treat puzzle with toilet rolls taped together. Also they have lots of different toys with different drugs like valerian and honeysuckle have a look on the purrs shop.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 16:02:25 PM »
That giant hamster wheel..... :rofl: :rofl:

I can just imagine my Sky's face if I put her on that! She is the ultimate idoor couch potato and would be horrified!  I may have to do it!!!!

:evillaugh:

I think our three would be horrified if the reaction to the water fountain was anything to go by. 

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 14:26:38 PM »
That giant hamster wheel..... :rofl: :rofl:

I can just imagine my Sky's face if I put her on that! She is the ultimate idoor couch potato and would be horrified!  I may have to do it!!!!

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 13:02:37 PM »
He sounds wonderful :)

Yeap have you tried the Purrs toy shop and esp the PurrSuit hunt toys :)
https://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=20

Love to your furkids

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
It's an "investment piece" but have you considered something like this:

https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=314&pf_id=67905&ptm_source=google&ptm_medium=shopping&ptm_campaign=over50_67905&campaign=439957091&adgroup=33472599131&content=214012163263&keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI046K7sPt1gIVVxbTCh2tFARYEAQYASABEgJXC_D_BwE

It's like a giant hamster wheel for cats.  I've seen it on a few cat forums and also on Hauspanther, and it looks as if it's quite popular with indoor cats.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
Outdoor cat frustration
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 12:32:08 PM »
I was hoping I might get some advice on keeping an outdoor cat entertained whilst he has to stay indoors.

Whilst Frankenstein has recovered remarkably well after being hit by a car in the summer, there is no chance that he is going to be allowed out any time soon. Even if I believe he is strong enough to go outside, he is never going out whilst we live in this house. For the most part he seems happy with this and it's actually improved the happiness of my other cat, Trixie, who is a house cat due to a brain injury as a kitten. However he is clearly getting frustrated. He has little catnip toys to biff lying around the house, a laser pointer, tunnel, scratch tower, cat tower (although he doesn't touch it :shocked: ) but I just worry that it isn't enough as ultimately it isn't outside.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep him entertained?

Link to CatChat