Author Topic: Help please - hyperthyroid cat, vidalta and now early stage renal failure  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
MY MISA HAD RADIO IODINE TREATMENT VERY SUCCESSFULLY LAST YEAR BUT HE DID NOT HAVE KIDNEY PROBS MISA WAS SAME AGE AS YOUR CAT AND TREATMENT WAS DONE AT LANGFORDWHICH IS ONE OF THE TOP FACILTIES IN THE COUNTRY BEING PART OF BRISTOL UNIVERSITY.

YOU DONR SAY WHAT PART OF COUNTRY YOU ARE AND I AM IN SW WALES SO A LONG JOURNEY BUT WAS TOTALLY WORT

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa

This is pretty much the non expert kidney disease bible.  It's very comprehensive.  American site though.
https://www.felinecrf.org

And this is the related support group
https://tanyackd.groups.io/g/support

Have you checked whether radio iodine treatment will be available with your boy's kidney results?  What has vet suggested? 

Controlling the thyroid condition is probably uncovering the poor kidney function.  Likely best to keep thyroid function slightly high to assist kidneys.

Sorry you and your boy are having to go through this  :hug: :hug:

Offline fairy100

• Kitten
  • Slave to: incognito
Sorry been away a while exploring radio iodine treatment and trying to prepare Midnight for this. Update and looking for advice. Midnight was switched onto felimazole from 25mg vidalta for 4 weeks to see if this improved levels. T4 is now at 54.3  which is lower than it was in March and which I understand is now just within normal stage but not optimal. Vet seemed a bit disappointed but Midnight has only been on felimazole for 4 weeks and I have no idea whether the results could be expected to be better than they are in this time frame.  Rates over last 6 months have been: 

December 2017 (on vidalta 15 mg) 46.6
March  2018 (increase of vidalta 25 mg) 65.3
May (on felimazole 10mg) 54.3

Kidney results are more worrying. The urea  level has come down from 25 in March (not sure what to though)  but apparently this is not such a great indicator for anything and the vet is more interested in the creatinine result. This has gone from  127  (March 2018) to 196 (now) (and was 89 in December 2017) which is apparently now stage 2 kidney failure. This is disappointing as I do not believe there were any worrying indicators in December bloods.   Any thoughts on this - are there any help forums for kidney failure. I have no idea how bad this is - I thought some cats lasted years with kidney failure - all seems to have come on very quickly.

Thanks very much.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
These are links (hopefully) to the data sheets for Vidalta and Felimazole.  I only post these as they may spark questions for you to raise with your vet.  Liz has a lot of experience with HyperT.

Sadly poor kidney function does complicate the condition. 

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-449701&template=template_printview

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-456259&template=template_printview

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Ask if you can change to Felimezole it seems kinder but Hyper T does sadly mask a poor kidney function which is manageable - we have had 5 Hyper T's and fund Complivit food supplement is a great way for weight gain added to wet food, a lot of wet food diet and less biscuits can help as well
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa

Firstly  :welcome:  to Purrs but am so very sorry you've had to join us for such a reason  :hug: :hug: :hug:  What's your boy's name?  Incognito?

I have no veterinary experience but renal parts of blood test are urea and createnine (I understand createnine the more important indicator of the two) and yes you are right that overactive thyroid can help kidney function and sometimes vets may prefer to aim for slightly higher than normal thyroid function to assist a cat with poor kidney function.

HyperT just on it's own is a very complicated condition as it governs the major organs so I send sincere sympathies that all this is going on.  I too would share your confusion about him putting on weight when the blood test shows thyroid and kidneys getting worse.  Has anyone suggested an X ray? 

If you haven't already, I would request a consultation with the head of your vet practice to seek further guidance. 

Apologies that our website had a glitch for some reason and we've been offline for a while.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:12:48 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline fairy100

• Kitten
  • Slave to: incognito
Help please - hyperthyroid cat, vidalta and now early stage renal failure
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 00:29:01 AM »
Looking for advice please as so confused and only want what is best for precious cat who has recently become part of our family. Will try to make this simple - I have blood test results here but cannot read/ understand them.

Hyperthyroid old cat (nearly 15 years) who has been on 10mg vidalta since March 2015. Increased to 15mg Vidalta in March 2017.

Cat had full medical check at end 2017 - very skinny,  continuously crying for food and increased heart rate. Thyroid fuction was at 46 (ideal range 7.5- 55) so increased to 20mg Vidalta which has been taking for 50 days. 

Recent check up - good news is he has put on 10% body weight in 7 weeks and does not cry for food now BUT thyroid levels has gone up, goitre bigger than it was which suggests Vidalta not working as effectively and which should mean he would not put on weight but he has and vet cannot explain this. Heart rate has gone down, goitre is bigger then it was and bloods show signs of early renal failure (which part of the blood test is this?), some teeth need removing and vet can now hear a slight heart murmur -  none of which were apparent on examination 7 weeks ago   :(

I am very confused. It seems hyperthyroidism can mask renal failure as the increased blood pressure it causes can hide poorly functioning kidneys. However am confused as blood results suggest that hyperthyroidism is worse (level has gone up) but (a) cat has put weight on and (b) renal damage apparent now but was not in blood tests 7 weeks ago  which should not be the case if hyperthyroid is worse (as blood pressure should be higher and masking renal damage but it is not).

Vet wants to up the vidalta to 25 mg now but I am not sure that makes sense if it is becoming less effective? Need to consider hyperthyroid, early renal faiure (diet?) and to a lesser extent teeth issue.

Please can someone advise -  we love him and are very confused. 

Link to CatChat