Author Topic: To rescue or not to rescue.....  (Read 3230 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: To rescue or not to rescue.....
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 15:31:42 PM »
I just cat proofed my garden using Protectapet for less than £500 using their DIY kit. Took a day and two dedicated folk but it's really good and even Basil hasn't managed to get past it yet. Neighbours' fish and flower beds safe from my cats. My cats safe from everything.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: To rescue or not to rescue.....
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:57:05 AM »
Hello Mitramonday, and welcome back. 

Lovely to hear that you're now settled into your new home and considering re-homing a rescue cat.

In terms of your neighbour's cats, my advice would be that I would really pay attention.   If one or more of her cats is very territorial, it could create real problems for any cat you choose to adopt. 

One of my own cats is quite proprietorial over his patch, and even though he's neutered, he's got himself into scraps defending his lazy acres.  Last year, in a "Johnny Cash" type spat, he lost part of his ear after a bite turned nasty.  I have no idea how the other cat fared. 

We also have neighbours who have cats, with whom ours get on tolerably well, but conversely, our smallest girl cat is regularly bullied by one of our neighbour's young hooligans,  As a consequence she's very wary about when she goes out, and prefers to go out when Moray (her big bro) is out with her.  Moray doesnt take any prisoners when it comes to anyone picking on his housemates.  He knows it's wrong to pick on gurls.   :sneaky:

Is there any way you could cat-proof your garden, so any new cat you acquire can have the run of the outside space in safety?  Alternatively, could you consider giving a home to a purely indoor cat?  I know you will be thinking:  "all that lovely space - what a waste....."  but it might be the better option.

It's good of your neighbour to have been so straight with you, as it can be a real issue.  At least she acknowledges the potential for, at best, an uncertain situation. 

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
To rescue or not to rescue.....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 22:32:33 PM »
Hello all....it is nearly 4 years since I posted on here! I had to re-home my beloved Percy (thankfully, to a good friend) due to re-location for a job. Now, I have moved again into my own home and would dearly love to rescue another young cat now that I am settled in. However, here's the rub... although I have a garden, which itself backs onto allotments, which then back onto woodland (a veritable heaven for a cat?), my new next-door-neighbour has five cats of her own and she has 'dished the dirt' on one of them. Apparently, he used to fight with the fur babies of the previous occupier of my house, and - despite being spayed - he still sprays to mark his territory (as I can already attest to, on my refuse sacks!).
So...would I be laying any new member of my family open to being victim to this bullying? I hate to think I may not be able to rescue another fur baby - I have a lot of lurve to give  :) :Luv2: but I would be so upset if they ended up being victimised.
Any advice, peeps?

Link to CatChat