Cat General > Our cats stories

Meet Lukas

<< < (9/9)

Sonya(Buttersmum):
So glad Lazalike has found someone like you and trying to hunt for food with his mouth like that poor puddytat  :( Sounds like he's already settling in nicely. Hope he's feeling much better soon

Mark:
His name is Lukas now. When I took him to the vet last week, he had gone from 4kg to 5.4kg in 4 weeks. I'm just glad that he came to me for help when he was desperate.Not sure what to do with him yet, but he seems quite content up there in his heated suite with endless food :) - He is still quite skittish and I can risk him running off (he knows how to use the flap) so he will be up there for at least the winter.

Sue P (Paddysmum):
Mark, bless you for helping this poor little lad.  Am hoping he'll decide he likes life in the attic suite much more than life on the streets.  He has a certain charismatic look.  He must be feeling so much more comfortable now his teeth are being sorted. 

Judecat (Paula):
Oh Bless! He looks like he is talking to you in the second pic. Well done on catching him and taking him in. :hug: :hug: :hug: Is he still Lazalike or will you be giving him his own name? Although I quite like Lazalike. ;D

Off to Google Calicivirus now.

Mark:
There has been a cat around for several years who was always after food. It often didn't show up at weekends, but other times, appeared a couple of time a day. We assumed it was owned, but no very well cared for. Its fur was always matted. We called it Lazalike (as it is black and long-haired like our Laz) about 8 or 9 weeks ago I noticed it had a problem with its mouth and was struggling to eat. It got so bad that it would try to eat even soft food, but flinch, yelp and run off. I tried catching it without any luck, but in the meantime, I liquidised pate food with water to feed it 'cat food soup'. I borrowed a trap, but it wouldn't go anywhere near. I tried grabbing it one day, but ended up badly bitten and scratched, with swollen infected hands (I was on antibiotics for a week). I remembered that it wandered into the house a few times earlier in the year and always made a beeline for catnip toys (we put a stop to it coming in after it started spraying) so I ordered a yeoww banana and managed to enice it in the house. The first time, it bolted out of the cat flat, so I waited and tried again (by this time, it was in a bad way and it was skind and bone :cry: ) and locked the flap before enicing it it with the toy. I threw the banana into the shower room and the cat followed, so I closed the door. I had already set up a tray and a tent with a bed in + a water bowl and liquidised food. I took it to the vet the next day. It had a badly infected mouth. It was kept in for the day and was neutered (it turned out to be a boy) clipped, given a metacam jab and started on antirobe. The vet sent off bloods for FIV and FeLV tests, which she was amazed, were both negative. She thinks there is a chance he may have Calicivirus, which we will be testing for and he may need to have most of his teeth removed, but we have been giving him time to settle as he is still very hissy and skittish (he has our attic suite with his own bedroom and bathroom :D ) He is like a differnt cat though. He loves nothing better than lying on one of us purring and face rubbing. He is going to be on Antirobe and Metacam for a few more weeks yet, but I will take him back for testing then and take it from there. We can't risk letting him out of the room yet in case he makes a bid for freedom, although he seems quite happy and contented in the warm with a soft bed and plenty to eat :D

PS - when I was trying to find out if he was owned, it turned out that he just had another feeder.

Latest news is that his Calici test was positive, so the next step is for him to have most of his teeth out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version