Author Topic: Meet Lukas  (Read 8314 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Meet Lukas
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 07:14:23 AM »
Very happy to hear that both Domino and Lukas are doing well. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2018, 22:03:46 PM »
A bit of confusion here. It is Lukas that is still on Metcam. Domino only had it for a few days following his dental. Anyway, as far as I can tell, Domino hasn't had an upset tum for a couple of days now - if fact, no poos in the tray. Either he hasn't been or he went over the back.

But yes, can only imagine the discomfort Domino was going through. We had noticed that he has been swallowing quite a lot recently. That seems to have stopped.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
Wow, he’s clearly doing well to put that amount of weight on Mark!! Bet he is glad to be without that canine. I notice on the other thread you mention he’s still on Metacam, that could be upsetting his stomach. Good luck with his check up. 
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
Ouch - I bet that was giving him jip Mark, even if he didn't show signs outwardly.  He'll feel so much more comfortable now.  Hope you can get to the root cause of the upset tummy he has.   :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 01:02:56 AM »
Just a quick update. He seems to have recovered well and is back for a 2-week check upon Monday. He has had the runs a few times, even last night, despite finishing meds last week. I will mention it when I go back.

It turned out that he needed quite a lot of teeth out, including all 4 canines. One that was whole last year was sheared to the root. Jane said sometimes cats misjudge a jump and hit their chin, which can result in the canines smashing against each other and breaking. The odd thing is, she said it must have happened months ago as there was a tartar build upon them. I don't remember him coming in at any time seeming to be in pain or distressed, so no idea when it happened. He had quite a few rotten teeth too.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:07:23 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »
Sorry that Dom needs a dental, but a good deal by your vet really. Mine are fantastic, never known one do so much for charity, they even home some animals them self!
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 10:46:20 AM »
Yes. There are a lot of good 'uns around. The trouble is, their hands are tied most of the time and it has to be done 'by the book' Your situation sounds similar. Vet close to retirement and selling the practice etc. One thing we don't have here is overnight. There is a Vets Now about 6 miles away. Better than nothing and hopefully won't be needed. The old vet was really good with Laz. He used to insist on (free) 6-weekly check-ups for his BP etc. They also unblocked him several times due to his megacolon 'on the house'.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 10:34:04 AM »

Glad I saw it first  ;)  Now packing my bags and cat carriers and moving south ... it is south isn't it Mark? I'll demand same deal for all 7 of the hoard when I arrive or there'll be trubble  >:( :evillaugh:

Sorry that Domino has to have a dental Mark but it's great that your practice has a scheme that provides a limit to such costs as I know well how vet costs can spiral.

I have been at our vet practice since 2006.  I moved there after a bad pts experience with Gandolf at former practice that had been taken over by a chain.  Same chain took over my current practice a year or so ago.  Head vet went semi retired and then retired at Christmas  :'( :'( :'(  He saw me through hell during Boris' final 4 months.  He was my rock and lost count of free consultations and reduced price deals he gave me over the years.  When I collected Freddie from RSPCA in 2006 he needed most of his teeth extracted but I didn't want RSPCA doing it.  He charged me £120 which was knock down price even then.

The prices charged by the current chain have increased it must be said BUT I now have 24/7 vet hospital cover so they have access to medical records in an emergency.  There are two female vets who I've got to know and like with our beautiful Billy in his final months last year.  They handled him incredibly well.  One of them goes on holiday to offer her services free in wildlife sanctuaries in far flung places.  I have however had to face the prospect of full charges now that my rock has gone  ... or so I thought.

Imagine my surprise to have been given another freebie last week for a lengthy consultation for the stray ginger Jaffa who I've been funding treatment for flea allergy dermatitis this last 6 months (helped out by freebie consults and even free flea treatment that former head vet went rummaging for).  At the end of the day most vets are going to be a little generous on occasion to good clients not least because it's good for business.  But ya know....... I reckon most vets are going to be good people to want to go into that profession in the first place  :)

Fingers crossed for Tuesday's check up  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »
Yes SUe. I decided to delete my last message. I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Yes, still hefty. With meds and other stuff like neutering he has still cost well close to £500 so far  :Crazy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 06:55:19 AM »
Ouch!  It was great of your vet, but still a hefty bill.....

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 01:41:28 AM »
He won't be loving me on Tuesday when he goes for his 2 week check up!  :scared: - I will be a  :censored:  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:52:28 AM by Mark »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 20:17:49 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Sounds like he loves his Daddy and his new life very much.   :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 19:50:14 PM »
Thanks everyone. I went up for Lukas time earlier. I lie on the bed up there and he can't get on my chest fast enough  :Luv2: - I managed to have a very quick look in his mouth when he yawned in my face - from what I could make out, it all looks good. A bit of redness where the teeth were, but everything else looks pink :) - fingers crossed.I will be paying him a visit shortly (when the chicken comes out of the oven  :innocent: )

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 18:44:05 PM »
Am so chuffed Mark.  Bless his paws..... :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 14:01:58 PM »
Such good news Mark. :wow:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 12:26:27 PM »
How brilliant  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 23:23:48 PM »
Thanks everyone, by Wednesday morning, he was already quite forgiving and by the evening, he was cuddling up on the floor purring his head off and eating for England. He was a bit slobbery at first, but now he can eat anything. He was chowing down on some chicken earlier. He seems happier than ever. As the vet said, he would have been in pain before the Calici as some of his teeth were diseased right into the  root. I think she is right that we could see a complete turnaround in his character. He doesn't even hiss at me now. He chirrups and head butts me  :Luv2:

Taken on the morning following his dental.

His fur was pretty crusty still and he is looking much better than this already.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 22:26:25 PM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 13:41:24 PM »
Aww, am sure he will forgive you
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 08:38:06 AM »
glad he is all fixed up mark, hope he comes round quickly  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 05:39:12 AM »
  Poor Lukas.  He'll  forgive you Mark, especially when he realises how much more comfortable  he is.   ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 22:05:06 PM »
Just a quick update to say that Lukas had most of his teeth out, including one of the canines, that was diseased. He is upstairs recovering and isn't talking to me at the moment -poor boy.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 15:27:42 PM »
I am in the same position with Misa, Mark, it doesn't help that for four days last week I was dragging him out from under the chest of drawers twice a day to give him AB's. This time I have been putting his AB's in tuna, a bit expensive as the other two have to have it as well, but so much less stressful for both of us.

He actually came out to see me briefly today, so baby steps.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »
Fingers crossed coming home with less pain will make a difference
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 01:54:17 AM »
Sarah (Camdengirl) said the same thing. It didn't happen the last time I took him to the vets. It has taken 3 weeks to get him back to trusting me.. Hopefully he will just be glad to be home afterwards. It has to be done anyway and hopefully this time next month he will be a happy cat with no more pain,

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
I can imagine you are dreading it Mark, I often find that a vet visit cements that they are safe with you though, hopefully that will be the case with Lukas
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 01:08:06 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'm dreading having to put him through it. I have been gradually gaining his trust again. A very slow process and I expect it will be a while before we get it back again. Only 11 days to go. I'm just glad that I have a vet who I trust 100% and who genuinely loves cats and is up to date with the latest research

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 17:45:46 PM »
A very hansum lad who has clearly landed right on his paws with you Mark  ;D

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 22:35:32 PM »

He's gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 17:46:33 PM by hollycat »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 23:06:38 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think we are only doing what most of us would have done.  :shy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 08:47:32 AM »
He's a very lucky boy to have ended up with you Mark
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
Hey Lukas - congratulations on getting your Furrever Home for Christmas.   ;D

Mark - you're a legend.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 23:31:23 PM »
The thing is, we would never know if it helped, or if taking the teeth out alone did it, but it makes sense to give it our best shot.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 07:22:29 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: Praying that the Interferon does the job for Lukas. The no longer stray. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 21:47:41 PM »
One person mentioned injecting it into their cat's mouth, but the vet said is is more effective injected directly into the gums. The teeth alone may well work, but it is a case of improving the chances of success. An additional £140, but hopefully worth it. He will have cost in excess of £1000 by the time we are done. Trust me to land with an expensive stray!   :scared: - although we do have a history with him.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 13:38:03 PM »
Ah, didn't notice that, thanks Paula - fingers crossed the Interferon does work. I have known people administer it at home themselves.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 13:32:47 PM »
Hopefully he sails through the op and the Interferon does the job Mark. :hug: :hug: :hug:

There is a p.s. on Marks first post saying the test had come back positive Desley.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 13:35:00 PM by Judecat (Paula), Reason: Additional text »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 13:16:37 PM »
Fingers crossed for him - is he definitely calici? I thought interferon only worked in those cases?
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
Thanks all. He is booked in for 9th Jan for his major dental. The vet is also going to inject Interferon into his gums while he is under. She thinks it will improve the chances of success. Poor boy. I hate the idea of putting him through it, but as Jane the vet says, we can only hope it works and if it does, it will be the end of mouth pain for him.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 14:40:49 PM »
Well done Mark another little life saved. :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 14:18:43 PM »
oh mark he looks lovely, glad he is making use of your spare room!  hopefully he will calm down and decide he doesn't want to leave in the spring  :hug:

Link to CatChat