Author Topic: Litter Trays  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Litter Trays
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 10:58:14 AM »
I have 2 trays for 2 cats. One tray is in the bathroom and the other is in the corner of the living room. I clean them pretty much as soon as they are used. You may find that if you start out with 3 there is 1 that gets used infrequently so can be removed.   It’s good to have them in separate rooms. Some cats like to use different trays for wee and poo. I have 1 like that whereas the other is happy to use the same tray for both.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »

We have seven cats (I know, I know but believe me some people really do have more  :evillaugh:) in a 3 bed home.

Ours are indoor/outdoor.  We have 5 litter trays (4 large and 1 jumbo size). 1 in hallway, 1 in kitchen near back door, 2 in front bedroom about 10 feet away from each other and jumbo in another bedroom.  Trays are scooped each morning and again as and when during the day when I notice they've been used.

I know the advice is to have 3 trays for 2 cats but, unless there's a real toileting problem for some reason, I would have thought two sufficient.  I would however place them a good distance apart for privacy and remember their sense of smell is excellent (often cats seem to prefer to pee and poo in different trays)  I think if I were starting again with 2 cats, I would maybe think about 1 jumbo tray plus 1 large.  Please don't bother with small litter trays, they're useless.

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to Purrs by the way  :) :) :)  How exciting for you to be on the search for furrever friends  :wow:

Have a peek at our auction as there are some incredibly goods toys to help you settle in newbies

https://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?board=158.0

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:08:45 AM »
And even further North, Westgate Ark (Newcastle Upon Tyne) and Pawz for Thought (Sunderland).  Am sure Liz will be able to supply details of rescues in Scotland - we try and cover everywhere, and pretty much succeed.   :evillaugh:

I think getting more than one cat is a great idea.  Not only will they offer companionship to you and each other, but the more cats you have, the more interplay you have with them.  They will keep you fascinated and laughing with them.   :)   

We have 3 rescue cats, and they're an absolute delight.  :Luv2: I feel we have scope to adopt another two, but unfortunately that doesn't quite fall entirely within our remit. 

Two of ours are "difficult" cats (love them to bits) and we don't want to risk upsetting the delicate balance we've managed to build in gaining their trust.  One of them in particular is still very easily spooked (as in, when you stand up/sit down:  "Don't panic!  Don't Panic!!  PANICCC!!!!  :shify:)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:16:07 AM »
Just thought of something, when your adoptees are used to you and the household, will they be indoor or outdoor cats? My five, yes, I am brave, or foolhardy enough to have eight of the furry little blighters in my care at the mo, are outdoor/indoor cats, I finally got rid of the last litter tray next to the kitchen bin, after it hadn't been used in months.

I have a cat flap that is set to their microchips, I got sick of feeding the neighbourhood cats, in particular the large ginger tomcat that used to come in, eat his fill and then spray his way throughout the house. It wasn't cheap, about £110, but well worth the pennies.

I don't know where you are in the country, but there are loads of rescues up and down the country, Sheila from daawn sowf (Waltham Forest CP)
 and Desley (Paws, Todmordon) from oop Norf, (of the Watford Gap :evillaugh:) that are reputable and I am sure can offer guidance to a good rescue near you if you aren't within driving distance.  From what Sheila is posting there seem to be a lot of kittens around  just now and kittens are more easy to settle in together, even if not from the same litter. Please make sure you get them micro chipped as soon as they are old enough to start going out as well as being spayed or neutered. That way you legally own the cat. Otherwise cats are regarded as wild animals. They are awfully good at losing collars and a collar doesn't actually mean that they are 'owned' by you.

Again  :welcome: :welcome:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 05:49:50 AM »
Some great suggestions there, ladies.  If the cats you adopt get along well, you may well get away well with just two trays.  Right now we have two trays for three cats, all in the same room and only one is in regular use.  Deep litter is generally easier to keep clean, and I've found clumping litter easier to deal with - your cats will let you know if they don't like the type of litter, but most aren't fussy as long as their "facilities" are clean and readily accessible.

Can't wait to hear more about your cat hunt.   :wow:  Very exciting.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:27:29 AM »
I am not anymore, so I do the trays before I go to work, when I get home and before bed. Seems to work though. I think it depends on how well the cats get on, if you rehome a matched pair I can't really see a problem with two deep ones. Unless you get problems.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 00:28:42 AM »
I think it depends very much on how often you can remove 'stuff' from the trays - my two share one big tray which I fill much deeper than the usual recommended 10cm, but I am home all day so can attend to it as and when needed - if I'm away for more than a few hours I put down a second identical tray and put the litter into a plastic bag for next time when I get home

I would myself in your situation put two big trays about a foot apart  but  if the  two cats don't get along, I would put them at opposite ends of the room, and see how they behave

I can't see the need for more than two trays unless cats are roaming around in a very large house
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 00:07:21 AM »
Hi Lazarus and welcome :welcome:

Would it be possible to have two trays in the room with the wooden floor for easy cleaning and another in the bathroom? This would be the best option, although I am looking after a friends cats at the moment, there are three of them sharing two trays in a small box room, so it is possible to get by with two, but they do require very regular cleaning and it does depend on the cats. There isn't room for three trays in there and one of these is a huge one about four inches deep. Both are deeply filled. Three are better if it can be managed.

I hope that this helps.

Again :welcome:.

Take care Honey,

Paula xxx

Offline lazarus

• Kitten
Litter Trays
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 23:56:23 PM »
Hi, first time posting on the forum.

Were a retired couple looking to adopt a pair of kittens/cats from our local cat rescue centre, we did have one cat over 30 yrs ago when kids were young.
Regarding litter trays, for two cats apparently it is recommend to have three litter trays, but not to have them side by side or they will be treated as on big tray.

How much spacing apart would be recommended if all three trays were kept in one room so hopefully cat/kittens will choose separate trays?

Our house is all on the same level, 2 bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom. I was thinking to put the three trays in the spare bedroom (wooden floor) as our bedroom and sitting room is not really suitable place for a litter tray, neither would the kitchen as the two feeding bowls would be in there spaced apart. Would this setup of trays work?

Link to CatChat