Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 18351 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #440 on: October 30, 2019, 13:08:57 PM »
Thanks Tab, we'll have to sort out a time for you to come and meet them in the flesh - ironically they rarely hiss at new people.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #439 on: October 29, 2019, 16:19:30 PM »
It's good to read an update for them. It sounds like they are doing well

Online dawnf

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: tilly, star, willow
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2019, 13:44:26 PM »
they look great, dry cuticles are what lets mine down  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #437 on: October 29, 2019, 13:17:06 PM »
Thanks for the nail compliments – there is actually a different colour on my ring finger, and some of the nails on my other hand are longer!
Please spay your cat

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie and Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky and Cleo, forever loved.
« Reply #436 on: October 29, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Well done Desley!

Yes, a really nice nail colour and I am well jeal of those long nails!

Online dawnf

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: tilly, star, willow
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2019, 13:25:06 PM »
such a pretty girl!  nice nail colour too!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2019, 13:20:39 PM »
Had another positive moment with Coco last night, she was on the floor when I went to give them their supper, so I sat on the floor in front of the door and tapped my fingers on the floor, which intrigued her enough not to run. After about 5 mins, she got this close, you could see she was tempted to come further, but then she changed her mind and went. She did eat part of her supper off my hand for this first time this week though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 13:22:04 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie and Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky and Cleo, forever loved.
« Reply #433 on: October 23, 2019, 15:00:59 PM »
Lovely photo again Desley! And the 'double decker' bed sounds great ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #432 on: October 23, 2019, 13:17:40 PM »
And typically, as you decide they don’t use something so you can throw it away, you walk in to find this! They are getting a new bed for Christmas, it’s a two tier wicker one that will be stood on the floor in front of the radiator, hopefully they will eventually use it, think I’ll have to put some old bedding in it initially.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #431 on: October 05, 2019, 17:06:54 PM »
I had another first from Chanel today, she was sitting in the bed looking kind of relaxed when I went in this morning, first time since I have been opening the door. Am going to get a new activity centre for the front room, see if it gives them something to stay downstairs for. Just need to take some stuff to the charity shop to create space first.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #430 on: October 05, 2019, 07:42:58 AM »
THEY ARE DOING SO WELL THANKS TO YOU DESLEY

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray, Malt & Barley + my beautiful lost boys - Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #429 on: October 04, 2019, 18:01:41 PM »
 ;D ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2019, 13:14:10 PM »
While they are still not eating 100%, last night Chanel played with me, which she hasn’t done for months, and I’ve had lots of purring. When I walked in to sit with them last night, she was eating, so I sat on the floor, she stopped eating, but then came to see if I had anything interesting, then realised I’d left something on the floor near her tea for her, so had to stay on the floor for a bit! Clearly going away has done something, they have been a bit more interactive the past two days, both have played with me and Coco ate off my hand last night for the first time in weeks!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray, Malt & Barley + my beautiful lost boys - Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #427 on: October 02, 2019, 14:54:42 PM »

Couldn't have put it better myself, Desley.   ;D

For some cats, the greatest tool to building trust is to prove to them (time and time again) that we will walk away and leave them alone

[/size]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #426 on: October 02, 2019, 13:12:37 PM »
Well, I should have held off posting, they were much more relaxed last night, so managed to get a pic of them both together without them either hissing or moving! In fact, got this really sweet pic of Chanel and she did then sniff my hand. This morning Coco actually came and sat on the den while I was checking my phone, showed a bit of interest in my fingers, so I got her rainbow cord and she actually played for a few mins, while Chanel was on the windowsill purring!

Not sure it is safe to say no one else would have given them that chance, no one else got that option. As my neighbour pointed out when I had a similar conversation last night, we can’t always see things as we are close to the situation. Someone from CC has said this, which I probably know, but needed reminding, daft as part of it I do with Lucy! I’m not good at leaving them alone mind, which is probably part of the problem, they start relaxing and then I start trying to touch them!

“The important thing is to let go of our ambitions for them and see them as they are. Are they happy? Are they better off than they were? Can they relax in their environment? We expect a happy relaxed cat to want and love affection from us, but sometimes a happy relaxed cat is one that isn’t touched. For some cats, the greatest tool to building trust is to prove to them (time and time again) that we will walk away and leave them alone. When they really know that, then they can risk venturing closer, but we give them that choice by respecting the choice they make.

This is something I’ve probably not realised “Whatever the root of Chanel and Coco’s fears, they believe their response is the only thing that has kept them safe and alive so far, so for them to be where they’re at now is already a huge achievement and likely for them a happy place”.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #425 on: October 02, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »

Desley, don't be downcast.    :hug:

We were looking back on some old photos the other day, and saw piccies we'd forgotten about where the kittens - yes, they were little - had draped themselves across our knees and fallen asleep.   :Luv:

They never do that these days, but they're both confident and comfortable, and so are Coco and Chanel.

I've said it before, but you've given them that.  You.  No-one else, cos no-one else was interested.  Can you imagine how their lives may have been if they hadn't found a safe haven with you?   :-:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #424 on: October 01, 2019, 21:06:26 PM »
THEY ARE STILL GORGEOUS AND SUSPECT THEY MISSED YOU BIG TIME

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #423 on: October 01, 2019, 13:22:17 PM »
Bit late with this, as I was on holiday for the actual anniversary, but the girls have been with me for 2 years now! Not sure there has been all that much improvement if I’m truthfully honest. The popping seems to have stopped (I’ve probably jinxed myself now!), but still get hissed at by Coco daily, mainly for scooping the litter tray, I wish she would learn that I don’t get that close and I have no interest in going near her when doing it. She has stopped coming to eat her supper biscuits off my hand which is a bit sad, and neither have played with me for months, it’s like now they have access to the house every other night, they don’t need me anymore. I’m glad they are still close though, but that bond is obviously why neither bother with me, they have enough with each other. I was contemplating letting them out every night now I’ve been on holiday but something spooked Coco while I was away and she hid somewhere in the house the last night my neighbour let them out, my neighbour spent an hour and a half searching, went home for an hour and when she came back Coco was back, so as we don’t know her hiding place (I have a suspicion, but if she hid there, she was delicate enough not to disturb any ornaments!), I’m a bit wary of changing the routine too soon. They still seem indifferent to me being back, the only obvious sign they haven’t been happy is they haven’t eaten well, but that hasn’t improved yet either.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #422 on: July 23, 2019, 13:09:25 PM »
I tried a suggestion from CC when I let them out Sun evening, and didn’t fully shut Lucy in my room before opening their door, not sure whether she came out to steal the dreamie I’d thrown for Chanel or she got bored of waiting for me, but I heard a growl while brushing my teeth! They were just both looking at each other from their respective doorways, herded Lucy back in (impressively again with no blood drawn) and told Chanel she was a good girl. Not sure I’ll do it very often, don’t want to put Chanel off, hope the opportunity arises one weekend to let Lucy out of my room while Coco is still out and sit with them for a few mins.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #421 on: July 21, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »
      I can't understand why she would be jealous               

Think about it, Desley.  You've said it yourself.  Lucy's the cat she can't crack.   :-:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2019, 17:44:17 PM »
I can't understand why she would be jealous, but it makes sense. Lucy doesn't help by giving out mixed signals, and neighbour can't seem to grasp that Lucy rubbing legs is her idea of a stroke and rarely wants you to touch her in return. Maybe she is that used to reading cats that she gets frustrated not being able to read Lucy
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #419 on: July 19, 2019, 17:29:51 PM »

Well, as a pure outsider looking in, I suspect your neighbour is a little ambivalent towards Lucy (being tactful here  :evillaugh:) and is also possibly a tad jealous of the progress you do make, so feels the need to comment to cast doubt on your Judgment, and make you feel inadequate compared to her.  Dont play along.   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #418 on: July 19, 2019, 16:34:06 PM »
I'll try Sue, it's just hard when it only seems aimed at Lucy, she got hissed at by both her and Coco when I was away, Coco was an angel, Lucy was a witch! She does understand a lot about behaviour though, which is the odd thing. And then I have to keep agreeing with her about how well hers have turned out, but she doesn't seem to be able to do the same for Lucy
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #417 on: July 18, 2019, 20:17:29 PM »
Desley there is no right or wrong its what works for you and the girls

My lot the freaky bunch usually retire upstairs to our bedroom and won't come down stairs till the nasty invaders have gone and when the inlaws were here in June my poor Molly Bengal took one look and spent 3 days behind our bedroom curtains, fortunately she does follow with her stomach and she came out about 3am when she announced she would eat the biscuits in our bedroom

We have ferals who are indoor/outdoor, the ones trapped as older cats are house cats by their choice and some who won't live on the inside but stay in our cat garage or the utilityroom which is open 24/7 all year
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #416 on: July 18, 2019, 17:37:58 PM »

Yes, that resonates with me, Desley.

When our great grandkids come to visit, they shout and grab and run and the girls loathe it.  They take off and stay out, and I hate it.    They're used to relative quiet living with us.  And like you, the cats come first in our house.   

"Experience" doesnt always make for knowledge - sometimes it means repeating the same mistakes again and again, and learning nothing. 

Bear that in mind, next time your neighbour makes a thoughtless comment about the way in which you do things, and turn a deaf ear.  You know the girls like no-ne else does.   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #415 on: July 18, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
Yes, I’m impressed with how things are going, not only is Lucy just hissing and running away from them, but while she may have kicked up a fuss when I took her back upstairs, she didn’t draw any blood, which is a major improvement, redirected aggression towards other cats outside the house and drawing blood on me was the main reason for making her an only cat. I’m also amazed how well Lucy copes with being shut in my room with me, she has issues with shut doors, which I assume stems from so long in rescue. My neighbour got this pic last night, both were on the windowsill before she got the camera out – she’s convinced this is Chanel, but it looks like Coco to me.

Yes, it does upset me Sue, especially things like ‘it’s Lucy’s fault, she’s too used to getting her own way’ – I did point out that it’s not her fault, she is also having to adjust to things and it’s not been all that long. At the end of the day, she was here first, so I Can’t do things that benefit the girls but are detrimental to her. I know I've said this before, but I'm still baffled by her attitude towards Lucy when she has got 10 years of rescue experience and lives with 3 semi-ferals, who you might not realise are, but doesn't take much to spook them, like when she cheered at the tennis on Sun, both girls flew upstairs. Whatever happened to Lucy when she was younger means she has a lot of semi-feral tendencies and 'letting her get her own way' is the best way of treating her, it gives her the security she needs to be more 'normal'.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:58:32 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #414 on: July 18, 2019, 06:35:31 AM »

I agree with Gill.  I don't think yuor neighbour really understands the complex nature of the relationship you have with those cats.  She's entitled to her opinion, of course, in the same way as ancient mariners believed the world was flat.  You don't have to listen to her (though I imagine it must be a tad irritating and more than a little upsetting at times, when you're already feeling annoyed at upsetting the equilibrium by accident).

Personally, I feel you're doing a great job in rehabilitation all 3 cats.  No-one ever said it would happen overnight.  You don't expect it to happen even over a prolonged period of months/years, but nontheless, it is gradually becoming easier for the cats to tolerate each other's presence, and yours, and that can't be rushed.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #413 on: July 17, 2019, 20:23:35 PM »
YOUR NEIGHBOUR IS WRONG YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT, GO COCO CHAEL AND LUCY

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2019, 13:19:39 PM »
Coco and Lucy met each other again yesterday morning, Lucy flew out at 5 when I got up for a drink, saw Coco on the stairs, tried turning back to go to the bedroom, but the door had shut behind us, so she raced down the stairs hissing, Coco flew into the kitchen, then had to peel a hissing Lucy off her heated bed to drag her back upstairs. Chanel was already back in the room. Hope it doesn’t put Coco off, she looked quite sweet curled up sleeping on the stairs. She was very chilled last night when I sat with them, I had a conversation with her while she was gazing at me, with her eyes flicking like she was processing it! Lucy wasn’t very quick to forgive me though, and I don’t like the idea of her being scared in her own home. The consolation is that while lots of hissing and running, no aggression again. Neighbour wasn’t helpful, saying if I hadn’t done x/y/z it wouldn’t have happened, and that it was Lucy’s fault for rushing out, she’s too used to getting her own way! I woke up early on Sat and they were both still out, but seeing me made them fly back in their room, so even though they are relaxed around me in the safety of their room, they aren’t in the house, I hope that reduces with time, but it’s tricky figuring out a way to let them see me more, I get Lucy in my room before brushing my teeth now so they can see me pottering, but only Chanel contemplates leaving the room then, so I keep dreamies in the bathroom to throw on the landing for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #411 on: July 07, 2019, 18:53:44 PM »
MISSED MY FIX OF COCO AND CHANEL GREAT PICS

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #410 on: July 07, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
Well, integration isn't actually my aim, I think they all have too many different needs for that, with the layout of my house, the aim is just to give the girls as much space as possible. One of them had knocked one of the beds on the floor yesterday, so this is what they were doing while I was sitting with them!  :Luv:
Please spay your cat

Online Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #409 on: July 06, 2019, 20:32:16 PM »
I still think you are doing amazingly well integrating all all the girls, you always knew it would be a long, slow process, it is, but I think here is light at the end of the tunnel. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #408 on: July 06, 2019, 18:13:46 PM »
I think I go Tue to Sun Paula, but not 100% sure about that.
Messed up again yesterday morning, Lucy ran out of the room and got partway down the stairs before realising the girls were at the bottom. She ignored my plea to come back up, and ran towards them hissing, so Chanel flew, but Coco stood her ground hissing back and fluffing her tail, at which point Lucy decided to run back up to the safety of my room! Then tried coaxing the girls upstairs, Coco carried on hissing, then went round me, Chanel ended up in the kitchen. Once safely back, I gave them all dreamies, which didn't really pacify Coco, I just managed to stop Lucy from hiding under the bed, got back in bed, as this was all before the alarm went off, Lucy forgot she wanted to go downstairs and came for a cuddle till the alarm went off. Coco was still wary at breakfast time, unlike Chanel, but by teatime, I managed to get this pic, which is a rarity, she normally moves when I get the phone out!

Please spay your cat

Online Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #407 on: July 04, 2019, 20:12:33 PM »
I am sure you have probably said Desley, but how long are you in Jersey for? It definitely sounds like a plan. ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2019, 17:31:34 PM »

Sounds like a sensible plan, Desley

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #405 on: July 04, 2019, 13:11:02 PM »
She lies like that and in the position on her birthday pic most days, not normally purring, but think I’ve heard her purr every day this week. Was having a chat with my neighbour, we are going to keep them at every other day till after I come back from Jersey as we don’t know how well Lucy will tolerate being shut in my room without me, if we do M/W/F that week, she will only have to coax Lucy into my room twice. I’m also going to give her her supper in my room every night in the hope she’ll just accept that when my neighbour goes in to feed them! To be fair, she has started automatically going to my bedroom at supper time, but neighbour isn’t convinced she’ll do that for her. Lucy would happily eat her breakfast upstairs too, might start doing that.
Please spay your cat

Online Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #404 on: July 03, 2019, 18:23:39 PM »
 :wow: :wow: :wow: Slowly, but surely getting there. I am so happy for you all. :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #403 on: July 03, 2019, 13:37:15 PM »

Look at that!!!!    ;D ;D ;D  Blimey, Desley!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #402 on: July 03, 2019, 13:08:42 PM »
I always knew Chanel was going to get darker, with being a kitten when they first arrived, but surprised at how dark Coco has got. Funnily enough, despite it being nearly 2 years, you can still tell where both were spayed. Had a little breakthrough with Chanel last night, she was sat in one of the beds when I was scooping the tray and I told her I’d love to touch her leg, started waggling my finger while getting it closer to her, despite Coco hissing from the next bed, she looked surprised when I got to her fur but didn’t move, so I got to touch her skin before she decided that was enough and jumped down, so I got her a treat. She was funny again this morning, rolling over, showing her belly, purring at me, edging closer to me – sniffing fingers is acceptable, but I tried to stretch out to touch her paw – she moved back, but then carried on showing her belly and purring! Coco was just watching this, a bit hissy at first and then more curious, so they both got a treat, but Coco hit hers off my hand. Yes, their looks were a big issue in me putting them up for adoption. I am pleased at how relaxed Coco can be with me in the room, although even asleep she can sense me moving to peek at her, so don’t get many pics of her in relaxed mode.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #401 on: July 03, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »

You see in that photograph two relaxed cats.  That's an achievement in itself.  As Paula said, someone could have adopted these two on looks alone, not understanding their need for special handling.  That could have resulted in them being passed from pillar to post, being abandoned or worse. 

Link to CatChat