Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 104443 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #418 on: July 19, 2019, 16:34:06 PM »
I'll try Sue, it's just hard when it only seems aimed at Lucy, she got hissed at by both her and Coco when I was away, Coco was an angel, Lucy was a witch! She does understand a lot about behaviour though, which is the odd thing. And then I have to keep agreeing with her about how well hers have turned out, but she doesn't seem to be able to do the same for Lucy
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #417 on: July 18, 2019, 20:17:29 PM »
Desley there is no right or wrong its what works for you and the girls

My lot the freaky bunch usually retire upstairs to our bedroom and won't come down stairs till the nasty invaders have gone and when the inlaws were here in June my poor Molly Bengal took one look and spent 3 days behind our bedroom curtains, fortunately she does follow with her stomach and she came out about 3am when she announced she would eat the biscuits in our bedroom

We have ferals who are indoor/outdoor, the ones trapped as older cats are house cats by their choice and some who won't live on the inside but stay in our cat garage or the utilityroom which is open 24/7 all year
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #416 on: July 18, 2019, 17:37:58 PM »

Yes, that resonates with me, Desley.

When our great grandkids come to visit, they shout and grab and run and the girls loathe it.  They take off and stay out, and I hate it.    They're used to relative quiet living with us.  And like you, the cats come first in our house.   

"Experience" doesnt always make for knowledge - sometimes it means repeating the same mistakes again and again, and learning nothing. 

Bear that in mind, next time your neighbour makes a thoughtless comment about the way in which you do things, and turn a deaf ear.  You know the girls like no-ne else does.   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #415 on: July 18, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
Yes, I’m impressed with how things are going, not only is Lucy just hissing and running away from them, but while she may have kicked up a fuss when I took her back upstairs, she didn’t draw any blood, which is a major improvement, redirected aggression towards other cats outside the house and drawing blood on me was the main reason for making her an only cat. I’m also amazed how well Lucy copes with being shut in my room with me, she has issues with shut doors, which I assume stems from so long in rescue. My neighbour got this pic last night, both were on the windowsill before she got the camera out – she’s convinced this is Chanel, but it looks like Coco to me.

Yes, it does upset me Sue, especially things like ‘it’s Lucy’s fault, she’s too used to getting her own way’ – I did point out that it’s not her fault, she is also having to adjust to things and it’s not been all that long. At the end of the day, she was here first, so I Can’t do things that benefit the girls but are detrimental to her. I know I've said this before, but I'm still baffled by her attitude towards Lucy when she has got 10 years of rescue experience and lives with 3 semi-ferals, who you might not realise are, but doesn't take much to spook them, like when she cheered at the tennis on Sun, both girls flew upstairs. Whatever happened to Lucy when she was younger means she has a lot of semi-feral tendencies and 'letting her get her own way' is the best way of treating her, it gives her the security she needs to be more 'normal'.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:58:32 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #414 on: July 18, 2019, 06:35:31 AM »

I agree with Gill.  I don't think yuor neighbour really understands the complex nature of the relationship you have with those cats.  She's entitled to her opinion, of course, in the same way as ancient mariners believed the world was flat.  You don't have to listen to her (though I imagine it must be a tad irritating and more than a little upsetting at times, when you're already feeling annoyed at upsetting the equilibrium by accident).

Personally, I feel you're doing a great job in rehabilitation all 3 cats.  No-one ever said it would happen overnight.  You don't expect it to happen even over a prolonged period of months/years, but nontheless, it is gradually becoming easier for the cats to tolerate each other's presence, and yours, and that can't be rushed.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #413 on: July 17, 2019, 20:23:35 PM »
YOUR NEIGHBOUR IS WRONG YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT, GO COCO CHAEL AND LUCY

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2019, 13:19:39 PM »
Coco and Lucy met each other again yesterday morning, Lucy flew out at 5 when I got up for a drink, saw Coco on the stairs, tried turning back to go to the bedroom, but the door had shut behind us, so she raced down the stairs hissing, Coco flew into the kitchen, then had to peel a hissing Lucy off her heated bed to drag her back upstairs. Chanel was already back in the room. Hope it doesn’t put Coco off, she looked quite sweet curled up sleeping on the stairs. She was very chilled last night when I sat with them, I had a conversation with her while she was gazing at me, with her eyes flicking like she was processing it! Lucy wasn’t very quick to forgive me though, and I don’t like the idea of her being scared in her own home. The consolation is that while lots of hissing and running, no aggression again. Neighbour wasn’t helpful, saying if I hadn’t done x/y/z it wouldn’t have happened, and that it was Lucy’s fault for rushing out, she’s too used to getting her own way! I woke up early on Sat and they were both still out, but seeing me made them fly back in their room, so even though they are relaxed around me in the safety of their room, they aren’t in the house, I hope that reduces with time, but it’s tricky figuring out a way to let them see me more, I get Lucy in my room before brushing my teeth now so they can see me pottering, but only Chanel contemplates leaving the room then, so I keep dreamies in the bathroom to throw on the landing for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #411 on: July 07, 2019, 18:53:44 PM »
MISSED MY FIX OF COCO AND CHANEL GREAT PICS

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #410 on: July 07, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
Well, integration isn't actually my aim, I think they all have too many different needs for that, with the layout of my house, the aim is just to give the girls as much space as possible. One of them had knocked one of the beds on the floor yesterday, so this is what they were doing while I was sitting with them!  :Luv:
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #409 on: July 06, 2019, 20:32:16 PM »
I still think you are doing amazingly well integrating all all the girls, you always knew it would be a long, slow process, it is, but I think here is light at the end of the tunnel. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #408 on: July 06, 2019, 18:13:46 PM »
I think I go Tue to Sun Paula, but not 100% sure about that.
Messed up again yesterday morning, Lucy ran out of the room and got partway down the stairs before realising the girls were at the bottom. She ignored my plea to come back up, and ran towards them hissing, so Chanel flew, but Coco stood her ground hissing back and fluffing her tail, at which point Lucy decided to run back up to the safety of my room! Then tried coaxing the girls upstairs, Coco carried on hissing, then went round me, Chanel ended up in the kitchen. Once safely back, I gave them all dreamies, which didn't really pacify Coco, I just managed to stop Lucy from hiding under the bed, got back in bed, as this was all before the alarm went off, Lucy forgot she wanted to go downstairs and came for a cuddle till the alarm went off. Coco was still wary at breakfast time, unlike Chanel, but by teatime, I managed to get this pic, which is a rarity, she normally moves when I get the phone out!

Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #407 on: July 04, 2019, 20:12:33 PM »
I am sure you have probably said Desley, but how long are you in Jersey for? It definitely sounds like a plan. ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2019, 17:31:34 PM »

Sounds like a sensible plan, Desley

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #405 on: July 04, 2019, 13:11:02 PM »
She lies like that and in the position on her birthday pic most days, not normally purring, but think I’ve heard her purr every day this week. Was having a chat with my neighbour, we are going to keep them at every other day till after I come back from Jersey as we don’t know how well Lucy will tolerate being shut in my room without me, if we do M/W/F that week, she will only have to coax Lucy into my room twice. I’m also going to give her her supper in my room every night in the hope she’ll just accept that when my neighbour goes in to feed them! To be fair, she has started automatically going to my bedroom at supper time, but neighbour isn’t convinced she’ll do that for her. Lucy would happily eat her breakfast upstairs too, might start doing that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #404 on: July 03, 2019, 18:23:39 PM »
 :wow: :wow: :wow: Slowly, but surely getting there. I am so happy for you all. :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #403 on: July 03, 2019, 13:37:15 PM »

Look at that!!!!    ;D ;D ;D  Blimey, Desley!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #402 on: July 03, 2019, 13:08:42 PM »
I always knew Chanel was going to get darker, with being a kitten when they first arrived, but surprised at how dark Coco has got. Funnily enough, despite it being nearly 2 years, you can still tell where both were spayed. Had a little breakthrough with Chanel last night, she was sat in one of the beds when I was scooping the tray and I told her I’d love to touch her leg, started waggling my finger while getting it closer to her, despite Coco hissing from the next bed, she looked surprised when I got to her fur but didn’t move, so I got to touch her skin before she decided that was enough and jumped down, so I got her a treat. She was funny again this morning, rolling over, showing her belly, purring at me, edging closer to me – sniffing fingers is acceptable, but I tried to stretch out to touch her paw – she moved back, but then carried on showing her belly and purring! Coco was just watching this, a bit hissy at first and then more curious, so they both got a treat, but Coco hit hers off my hand. Yes, their looks were a big issue in me putting them up for adoption. I am pleased at how relaxed Coco can be with me in the room, although even asleep she can sense me moving to peek at her, so don’t get many pics of her in relaxed mode.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #401 on: July 03, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »

You see in that photograph two relaxed cats.  That's an achievement in itself.  As Paula said, someone could have adopted these two on looks alone, not understanding their need for special handling.  That could have resulted in them being passed from pillar to post, being abandoned or worse. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #400 on: July 02, 2019, 19:00:05 PM »
I was going to ask about that, saw that pic and thought I am sure Chanel is getting darker, but I do have the brains of an ant, so wasn't quite sure if it was just my memory or the camera angle. They certainly are a stunning pair and I am so glad that in  the end you decided to adopt them. I am sure that someone would take them on for their looks, without having the time and patience that you have given, and will continuing to give them, it may feel like baby steps with them and Lucy to you, but looking from outside in, it would seem to be to be gathering momentum. :wow: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Even if you do get hissed at!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #399 on: June 30, 2019, 13:14:09 PM »
Well, Chanel is now 2 years old! She has been less playful this past couple of weeks, which I think is due to getting older, but my neighbour thinks because of having access to the house more. Unfortunately she still hasn't got any better with being touched. On Friday, I made the mistake of letting Lucy out of my room before checking the girls were back in their room, as they always are by that time. Unfortunately not on Fri, Chanel wasn't in the room, she flew up the stairs and then stopped when she saw Lucy! I was very impressed though, Lucy just hissed and looked at her, but didn't attack, and didn't have a go at me for nudging her back towards my room so Chanel could go back in. Before we realised Chanel was out, Lucy had seen Coco in the room and hissed at her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #398 on: June 02, 2019, 15:13:30 PM »
WOW THEY ARE COMING ON WHICH IS GREAT

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2019, 10:22:59 AM »
Well, they are certainly getting braver, let them out before brushing my teeth again, Chanel was the first to the door again, briefly got her out with a dreamie! Got up this morning to find Lucy's rainbow ribbon stick toy was in their room, not sure how they got it upstairs, its really long! Then went in the bathroom to find someone had had a poo on the puppy pad where Lucy's tray normally lives! Coco is getting a lot darker, I even googled it to check it was normal!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:24:18 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #396 on: June 02, 2019, 08:55:47 AM »

Two very relaxed gurlies there, Desley.   :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #395 on: June 02, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »

Beautiful pic Desley  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #394 on: June 01, 2019, 19:10:56 PM »
GORGEOUS PIC

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #393 on: June 01, 2019, 16:32:29 PM »
Yes, I expected it to be a long process, an old poster has just come back on CC, she said that she hopes they come round eventually, my reply was 'it's only been 20 months, still early days!'. I just wish that Coco would stop hissing at me everytime I do scoop or do anything with the litter tray! It is also nice that they are still close, Chanel will be 2 this year.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2019, 21:33:16 PM »
They are definitely coming on Desley, it may be a long process, BUT, they are getting there. Well done you. ;D :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #391 on: May 30, 2019, 17:11:00 PM »
THEY ARE BRAVE ENOUGH TO EXPLORE NOW WHICH IS GREAT, WELL DONE DESLEY

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #390 on: May 30, 2019, 13:37:40 PM »
Let the girls out again last night, managed to get Lucy in my room before brushing my teeth, so opened their door before doing that, Chanel was the first to leave the room, but was a bit startled to see me! I told her if she was brave she would get a dreamie, but I had to get past her first, she went back in the room, so I got the bag that lives on the landing, and threw one for her. Then when I woke up at 3, I needed a drink and I forgot to take a glass upstairs last night, so had to go down and both were in the front room, not happy to see me! Coco went on the sofa, but Chanel went in the kitchen. When I got up this morning they were both in their room, but Chanel was clearly hungry cos she went under my legs with her tail up touching me when I was sat in the chair and then kept rubbing my legs when I was dishing the food out.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #389 on: May 19, 2019, 16:11:49 PM »
THATS WONDERFUL DESLEY AND THEY LOOK VERY CHILLED, GREAT PICTURE

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #388 on: May 19, 2019, 15:28:29 PM »
Another great weekend with them, left the door open last night, got woken up by a noise at 5, got up at 6.30 and found the room empty! Then found this!  :Luv: Then later, when I was sweeping the room, Chanel stayed laid in her bed, paws stretched looking very chilled the entire time, even when I knelt in front of her and told her I would like to kiss her paws! Normally when I sweep the room she flies onto the den as soon as I start! Then after 3 goes, I got her to eat her dreamies off my hand (they have a treat for having the room cleaned)
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #387 on: May 15, 2019, 13:30:06 PM »
Hate may be a strong word Liz, but is appropriate. I decided Lucy was going to be an only cat after she gave me a black eye and nearly blinded me just by seeing a cat outside! At least her re-directed aggression has improved, she doesn’t draw blood on me when she gets annoyed at the girls (she was hissing at them again this morning!), although that could be I don’t get that close to her when she’s annoyed by them. She did get a home before me, but had to be returned because she was making one of the resident cats ill, and a lot of the neighbourhood cats are scared of her, one stopped coming shortly after getting her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #386 on: May 15, 2019, 06:41:44 AM »
Hate is a strong word, ours come to a mutual understanding eventually and then we find them curled up together :shocked:  We have some odd mixes Harmony Bengal and her bit of rough our darling Harper feral, Maddison feral of the 3 legs and her boys Blue, Jet and Turbo, Sammy and Lynx ferals have a bromance going on and Lynx was most put out when Baku feral after 9 months living on the outside decided to come back in to be a housecat and had her eyes in Sammy now they have worked it out we mainly leave them to get on with it and just voice concern at hissing usually Blue feral at the humans :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #385 on: May 14, 2019, 23:13:27 PM »
Oh dear. :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #384 on: May 13, 2019, 13:40:43 PM »
Lucy still hates them unfortunately, I popped back in after giving them their supper last night, so didn’t fully shut the door, Chanel went to investigate and Lucy first growled, then got a bit more intense as Chanel was ignoring it, at which point Chanel flew back. No wonder she is wary of leaving the room.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #383 on: May 13, 2019, 06:55:47 AM »

Apart from the hissing, Coco sounds like Barley.   :evillaugh:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #382 on: May 12, 2019, 22:19:41 PM »
WOWWWWWW THIS IS REAL PROGRESS

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #381 on: May 11, 2019, 15:28:07 PM »
Had another interesting moment with them last night, left the door open again, but brushed my teeth after I opened the door, Coco was sat in the open doorway debating whether it was safe to leave, which was a lovely sight. Then I nearly messed things up, I realised when I got in bed my fitness tracker had come off, so thought I better look for it, Coco was on the stairs, so got very hissy, but rather than up past me she went down instead, then got scared when realised I was following her, and flew round, and on the sofa. When I went back up, I did throw a dreamie down the stairs for her as a well done. When I got up for a painkiller at 5.45, they were both in the room, I shut the door then heard Chanel playing.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2019, 13:13:00 PM »
Yes, they really are coming on, Chanel was in such a bonkers playing mood yesterday morning, was lovely as she had barely played with me on Mon. Coco was a bit jumpy though.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2019, 06:38:06 AM »

They're really making strides, aren't they Desley.  Love the photo of Lucy, too. :Luv:

Link to CatChat