Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 103956 times)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2019, 00:38:37 AM »
WONDERFUL PICS DESLEY THANKS FOR POSTING

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #377 on: May 07, 2019, 18:17:43 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #376 on: May 07, 2019, 16:28:40 PM »
Coco was very brave last night - she wasn't really this close, I've cropped it to help with the size. Today went in to find Chanel under the rocking chair, never seen her there before but she then started playing! And for good measure, a cute pic of Lucy I took on Sun
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #375 on: May 04, 2019, 17:46:29 PM »
I left the door open again last night, got up 3 hours later to go to the loo, no sign of Coco in the room, couldn't see her on the stairs, but when I was leaving the bathroom she flew across the landing and back in the room. I got up another 2 times and no sign of them being out again, but I didn't shut the door till 6. Lucy was very grumpy with them at 7.30 though, growling and hissing at the door!
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #374 on: May 03, 2019, 20:14:39 PM »
WONDERFUL DESLEY

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #373 on: May 03, 2019, 16:08:39 PM »

Desley, that's amazing progress.  I wouldnt be too downhearted about Chanel.  When Coco goes out on her forays, she'll report back to her, and it'll help to build Chanel's confidence.  This is just great!   ;D

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #372 on: May 03, 2019, 15:28:17 PM »
That is good Desley. :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2019, 13:35:51 PM »
Well, had a bit of a breakthrough last night, Coco was interested in the door when I gave them their supper, so I left it partly open when I went to bed. Got up an hour later to go to the loo, popped my head round and found Chanel looking a bit worried, but couldn’t see Coco – this is where I found her! I have slightly cropped this pic, she was a lot further away from me, but am impressed she stayed there long enough for me to go back for my phone and take a pic! Woke up again at 3, they were both in the room, but Chanel was still cowering a bit near the tray, so I shut the door and then I heard her move. So a bit of a dilemma, Coco is clearly ready, but Chanel is still unsettled by it and doesn’t relax till it’s shut. Will see what happens tonight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #370 on: April 05, 2019, 01:16:37 AM »
I AGREE WITH SUE

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #369 on: April 04, 2019, 15:08:14 PM »

For what it's worth, I think you've made the right decision. 

A fractionally open door arouses curiosity without creating the fear of a properly open door. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #368 on: April 04, 2019, 14:16:34 PM »
Desley we have 1 inch aviary netting on our upstairs windows on a wooden frame held in to the wall with bolts so it gives them plenty fresh air but no escapees, its down in the winter when the windows are on the security lock gives fresh air but not the freezing we would get up here
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #367 on: April 04, 2019, 13:32:27 PM »
I’ve decided against the window being changed – neighbour isn’t happy as she thinks they need the extra fresh air, but the catio was never about that for me. When I looked into the reviews of the safety netting, they are very mixed, with some people saying their cats had broken it in a couple of days. The one that gets the best reviews is one called Flat Cats, which is similar to mosquito netting secured from the inside with double sided Velcro, and they do that for top opening windows, it wouldn’t work for a tilt and glide window. The girls may have been quiet with the workmen, but Coco was quite bothered last night and wouldn’t even come for her supper like she normally does. I am just going to keep trying with the door occasionally, as they do still show interest if I don’t fully shut it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #366 on: April 03, 2019, 17:56:32 PM »
I agree with Sue. It is such a shame that the catio had to go but this doesn't sound like a worthwhile alternative  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #365 on: April 03, 2019, 13:57:28 PM »

Given your original aims with the catio Desley, I'm not convinced it's worth the additional hassle and expense. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #364 on: April 03, 2019, 13:05:05 PM »
Well, the window man came today (typically, the girls were good and didn’t even hiss!! Seems they reserve that for me!), he can change the bottom part of the window to a tilt and glide, but opening right to left, so it would be more like a door, which would enable mesh to be put on the outside so they could get fresh air, but I’m not 100% convinced about it – my neighbour is all for it, but I’m concerned it will be confusing for them, they will get fresh air, but not extra space which was the idea of the catio. I’m waiting for a price, but if I decide to do it, it could be done in the next two weeks, he’d want it doing when the catio comes down
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #363 on: March 31, 2019, 18:36:39 PM »
Window person is coming on Wed to measure up and see what options there are for them to get fresh air, and came across this, could be a good alternative

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323447082070
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #362 on: March 27, 2019, 19:15:33 PM »
What an utter PITA. Sorry Desley. :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #361 on: March 27, 2019, 17:26:56 PM »

Oh Desley, I suspected they might veto it too, but am so sorry they did.  It was a cracking idea. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #360 on: March 27, 2019, 13:09:07 PM »
Council came back and said that it would require planning permission so neighbour rang them, and due to the fact I live on a back to back street, nothing would be acceptable. She spoke to someone different who knew the case as it was the talk of the office!! Builder now speaking to his window supplier to see if there is some way of adjusting the opening so we could have mesh on the inside so they can get extra fresh air. Builder is also going to try and salvage the shelves in the catio and put them inside the house – the two small ones at the side of the window for sunbathing, and the larger ones near the den to give Chanel extra levels to jump on when playing.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #359 on: March 26, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »
Such a hard decision Delsey  :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2019, 17:40:46 PM »
POOR COCO

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2019, 13:04:12 PM »
I checked it again yesterday with my neighbour and we are sure we aren’t in the conservation area, but checking the planning portal for windows, a new bay window requires permission, so guessing this would too. So dilemma is to go for pre-planning at £101 in case they refuse, but if they agree, will then have to go for planning at £202. Each stage should take up to 8 weeks, so there is an extra time element involved too. Coco upset me yesterday, she actually asked to go outside, it’s the first time I’ve heard her miaow.  :(
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #356 on: March 24, 2019, 20:15:13 PM »
Plans are very easy to misinterpret. :hug: :hug: :hug: I hope it isn't a conservation area for the girls sake.

Same here.  So disappointing after all your efforts.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2019, 15:45:53 PM »
Plans are very easy to misinterpret. :hug: :hug: :hug: I hope it isn't a conservation area for the girls sake.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #354 on: March 24, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »
Thanks Tab - I will double check the plan I found on the council website this week, I thought the factory was included but these 5 streets weren't, but maybe I misinterpreted it.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2019, 16:19:42 PM »
It's a shame about the catio but thinking about it you may well be in the heritage area. I know barehill is as the houses are of historical interest as they were built by the co-op and are interlocked so going down the row you get front room of one then kitchen of next etc. There are rules on what can be done externally so that could be the problem.

I hope they all continue to relax and get along more

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2019, 15:35:56 PM »
Well, second attempt at Plan B didn't go too well, when I went to give them their supper I didn't shut the door fully, Chanel ran to it, and Lucy was on the landing and growled at them, both girls jumped! I woke up 5.30 and thought I'd check on them, they were both huddled on the brown scratching post, Coco was very hissy and growly at me, so I shut the door and at breakfast time she was slightly better with me, so not sure they are ready yet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2019, 13:47:52 PM »
Good luck, both with Plan B and the council. :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
Looking at the dimensions, I'm not sure they would be able to sit up in it, but it would give them something. I am going to speak to the council, definitely don't want to end up in this position again. Am going to try plan B again tonight, the rainbow cord stopped the door shutting when I came in to give them their breakfast, and Chanel went to investigate so she clearly has got over last week
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2019, 02:07:43 AM »
HOPE IT WOULD WORK BUT BEST TO CHECK WITH COUNCIL FIRST

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #348 on: March 21, 2019, 20:17:46 PM »
That looks great Desley! I wouldn't think you should need planning permission - but I wouldn't have thought you would need it for the catio and I was clearly wrong on that score!  :-[

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #347 on: March 21, 2019, 19:04:04 PM »
I think that looks like a workable solution Desley, if it doesn't need planning, obviously check with the Planning Dept first, it may not be as big but would still give them an outside space. ;D Good find! :wow:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2019, 13:06:37 PM »
A friend has found this for me, think this could be a good solution – as it installs from the window, not sure if I would need permission or not? Obviously not as big as they have, but better than nothing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264220355880?ul_noapp=true
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 13:07:10 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #345 on: March 19, 2019, 13:25:33 PM »
That is a good way of describing it! My vet was surprised that Lucy can use teeth and claws to let me know she isn’t happy, but without breaking the skin, can’t remember what term she used, something about a threshold though. I’m definitely considering it, part of me thinks trying again but slower may work, but part of me wonders if they really want it at the moment. Was very naughty last night, Lucy was sleeping just outside their door while I was in with them, so I pushed her in as I was leaving – Chanel was on the floor near the cupboard, Coco was on the windowsill. Lucy hissed at Chanel, but neither of the girls reacted, I ushered Lucy back out, and she wasn’t worked up enough to draw blood on me, she did allow me to pick her up and praise her. Was looking at the new Cat Gallery brochure, and they have a cool looking shelf and ladder system for £49, I am going to ask the builder if two of the shelves can be salvaged and put in the room instead. Neighbour thinks we should keep some of the mesh to put inside, so they can have more fresh air, but I’m not sure if that will make it worse for them. It would allow me to open the window more in case we get hot weather again, but last year was the only time in 14 years it’s been an issue, and I can prop the door open a tiny bit overnight now.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #344 on: March 19, 2019, 10:32:52 AM »

The Paw of Correction.  Love it.   :evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #343 on: March 19, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »
Sky wields the 'paw of correction' liberally - but always without claws. She is very clear on what she will, and will not, allow!  ;D

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #342 on: March 18, 2019, 20:50:03 PM »
ROFL A WHACK WITHOUT CLAWS IS GOOD INTERACTION, SHE LOOKS SERIOUSLY RELAXED

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #341 on: March 18, 2019, 14:31:35 PM »

I did have a sneaky stroke of her tail, she looked at me and whacked me, but without any claws!

Demmed cheek!!   :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, DESLEY, I THINK I'D GO WITH THE DOOR OPEN JUST A CRACK FOR THE TIME BEING.  THEY CAN THEN CHOOSE HOW MUCH THEY WANT TO PEEP OUT (OR NOT) AND THEY WON'T FEEL SO EXPOSED TO THE POSSIBILITY OF INTROODERS LEAPING ON THEM.   :shify:  Sorry about the capitals, there.  trouble wiv me keybpard!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #340 on: March 18, 2019, 13:43:44 PM »
Luckily I’m used to cats choosing which part of the house they want to live in, at least I’ve finally got away from having cat food on the bed! And I’m used to going at their pace – a friend said that I should carry on leaving the door open, but Chanel was too petrified, wouldn’t come out from the side of the litter tray till I’d shut the door. She did finally investigate the door again at supper time, so I may consider propping it just a little bit open, but going to do that when she seems more ready, there is no need to rush. Coco has been great, one of them had been sick during the afternoon, which I thought was her as she was quiet and didn’t eat much tea, but then she did this! She was a lot more relaxed this morning, I was able to walk past her without being hissed at or her running, I did have a sneaky stroke of her tail, she looked at me and whacked me, but without any claws!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #339 on: March 18, 2019, 07:21:11 AM »

Am so sorry about the Catio Desley.  It's a real shame, given how much they enjoyed it. 

I think as Liz has said, cats can continue to surprise us as the years pass, and things we thought would be unimaginable suddenly happen.  I hope that will be the case for Coco and Chanel, too.  I love the photos.   :Luv:

Link to CatChat