Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 103959 times)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #338 on: March 18, 2019, 00:28:20 AM »
POOR CHANEL GETTING SO SCARED, COCO LOOKING GREAT

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2019, 20:26:53 PM »
I agree, it is a real shame that the catio has to go  :(

It does look as if Coco and Chanel are happy in their room, at least for now. Sky is the shame, she did go out a few times when we first had her but, since she was ill, she shows no sign of wanting to leave the bedroom! :-[

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2019, 16:16:37 PM »
That's a shame, especially as Coco and Chanel enjoyed it so much. Lovely that they are still coming on though. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2019, 15:14:13 PM »
no, they have said it wouldn't be given, apparently it isn't in keeping with the character and appearance of the street - although suspect it is the height that is an issue.

I do hope in time they do want to come out Liz, but I'll leave it till they start asking after this attempt - they didn't eat a full meal till supper time and it was heartbreaking to see Chanel so petrified. They were playing by teatime though, and got some lovely pics of Coco, who was the one unfazed by anything. I suspect if they'd been homed in a 'normal' house, they would be the kind of cats who would choose to live in one room, clearly they can't cope with more than that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2019, 14:54:40 PM »
Why wouldn't they give retrospective PP? Is it the elevation? I know from the conservatory that anything less than 3m X 3m doesn't require it, but that was single storey as far as I am aware.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »
I'm really sorry about the catio (time and expense too!) - could you not apply for retrospective PP - or have you been told it would be refused?

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2019, 22:56:04 PM »
So sorry about the catio Desley. :(

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2019, 22:21:57 PM »
SO SORRY ABOUT THE CATIO, THEY LOVED IT SO MUCH

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2019, 16:20:09 PM »
Desley it does take time for them to take the plunge and leave their safe room, took our Harper nearly 2 years and he now comes down stairs to the familyroom on the inside only side of the house and occasionally the diningroom but lives with his mates in our upstairs study but he can now be stroked and comes to see me at feeding time - this has only taken 9 years so time is on your side :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2019, 15:41:09 PM »
Not sure I'll try that again for a while, Chanel seems curious about the door, but clearly they are happier in here than I thought.

I think I must have missed something.  What did you try Desley that caused such upset?

Opening the door for them to have access to the rest of the house!!
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2019, 15:40:32 PM »
Well, the girls do seem to have forgiven me, Coco at least doesn't seem fazed by it. I did spray some Pet Remedy though, and now Chanel is at least sat in one of the beds and not with her mum! In the stress of this morning, I forgot to say I had a really good evening with them, Coco was very relaxed and was even running after a toy I threw her! Someone on CC said that it proves adopting them was the right thing, imagine the stress moving and potentially separating them would cause!

The catio unfortunately has to go on Fri - the builder was wrong about it not needing planning permission (I did check, but couldn't find a category that covered something like this), so they have said it is unacceptable. As gutted as I am to do it to them, at least it has happened early on, so they haven't had that long to get used to it, and without it I wouldn't have considered adopting them, so I am trying to think everything happens for a reason. And it made me look at a way to give them more space, even though it turned out they don't actually want that. At least I have tried
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2019, 15:36:04 PM »
Not sure I'll try that again for a while, Chanel seems curious about the door, but clearly they are happier in here than I thought.

I think I must have missed something.  What did you try Desley that caused such upset?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2019, 10:17:27 AM »
Desley, I'm sorry that the girls have been upset   :( However, it does sound as if they settle again relatively quickly, so I don't think any lasting harm has been done  :hug:

What is the problem with the catio? It would be a real shame if it has to go  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
Well, that didn't go at all like I expected! I ended up popping back in 2 hours later, poor Chanel was cowering in a corner, I went to speak gently to her to calm her down, and she was that petrified she let me stroke her, although Coco was growling at me! When I got up this morning, Coco was in her usual place, but Chanel was cowering at the side of the litter tray! After I shut the door she came and sat at the side of the tray, but was very wary. Then I noticed they hadn't even eaten all their supper, don't think that has ever happened before! Just sat with them now, Chanel is quite unsettled. Not sure I'll try that again for a while, Chanel seems curious about the door, but clearly they are happier in here than I thought.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #324 on: March 10, 2019, 11:01:47 AM »
.....we are having catio issues and they might lose it at the end of the month, which is going to affect the life I wanted to give them.....

That's really sad Desley.  Can I ask why?  :shy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #323 on: March 07, 2019, 13:53:55 PM »
I’m just glad I was in a position to be able to adopt them, although we are having catio issues and they might lose it at the end of the month, which is going to affect the life I wanted to give them, but I’m working on shutting Lucy in with me at night so that they can have more space, I’ve made that commitment to them now. Poor Barley, it really doesn’t take much to spook them. The vet was asking how Lucy is at home and I said that as long as you treat her like a semi feral, and accept her quirks, she’s a lovely cat. Paula, unfortunately the majority of the ‘management’ are dog people so certainly don’t understand semi-feral cats. The irony is they were last seen in a filing cabinet, when I was looking for the boys, which was never found, so I had to scan them! The manager has damaged her cruciate ligament and the assistant is also ill, so think everyone is running round trying to keep on top of the essential stuff at the moment. But that doesn’t excuse the fact it should have been sorted at the time of adoption.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2019, 19:07:55 PM »
You would think that people from a cat charity would have more idea, and how come the Manager has to do it, surely that info should either be available on a computer system or in a filing cabinet able to be accessed by all. It just sounds like a dose of 'lazy' to me Desley. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I hope your shoulder isn't too sore Sue and that Barley has recovered from her scare.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 16:24:30 PM by Judecat (Paula) »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2019, 15:04:14 PM »

Dear God!!   Maybe you'd better give them back now!  (If only you cold handle them...... :doh: :doh:)

I admit to my own anxieties about being unable to get the gurlies to the vet, but even yesterday, Barley freaked out.  She was having a cuddle with me, when OH walked quietly past with a coat in his hand.  She was off me like a shot, neatly raking my shoulder as she fled the coat monsta.   :doh: :doh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #320 on: March 06, 2019, 13:44:10 PM »
Had a message from one of the trustees telling me all I needed to do to sort out the microchips was go online and change them, using my adoption form as proof of ownership (odd, when I was with CP, we had to fill in a special form and provide our charity code to change ownership), but pointed out I don’t have the microchip numbers to do that (and I’m not 100% sure which company they use!). Was told that the manager was having some health issues, so it would be quicker to pop them to the vet and get them scanned than wait for them to find the paperwork. Pointed out these are semi-feral cats (didn’t say I had my own scanner so could have already done that myself!). Reply was ‘can’t you handle them, how do they get vet treatment’ – at which point I stopped answering!  I might actually be able to scan Chanel, she does walk past me a lot when I am sat on the chair, but no chance with Coco.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #319 on: March 04, 2019, 13:40:35 PM »
Had an interesting moment on Sat, I hadn’t fully shut the door when I gave the girls their supper, and Lucy popped her head round cos she heard food. She did hiss at Chanel, but then walked away and I didn’t get any redirected aggression, so I gave her an oral biscuit. Neighbour said that maybe I’m in a position to start introducing them, which I’m not convinced about, but she suggested giving them the run of the house at night. Two main issues with that are getting them back in the morning – Chanel is food orientated enough to follow me for food, not convinced by Coco. Other issue is Lucy – she doesn’t like shut doors, and the bedroom door only gets shut for vet visits, so not sure how well shutting her in my room overnight will go. I have been feeding her supper on the landing for months, so am going to try putting her supper in my room this week, then try shutting the door at weekend.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2019, 14:11:14 PM »

I wouldn't have said chubby.   I think cats of their breed type (whatever that may be) often have very plush, dense coats, which can make them look chunkier than they are.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2019, 13:14:57 PM »
Well, Chanel could certainly pass for a ragdoll, but Coco is short haired, so couldn’t (although was reported as a ragdoll). Their eyes aren’t traditional for any of the colourpoint breeds, they are only blue in certain lights, the rest of the time they are yellow. Another relaxed moment with Coco last night, she was cleaning her back leg till she saw me pick up the phone, then decided to ‘pose’. Sent this to a friend who said she is getting chubby, I think it is just the angle of the pic personally. Unfortunately then my neighbours lodger banged on the door, all 3 cats freaked out, but I went back and read to the girls and they calmed down a lot. She ended up in an awkward position when eating her supper biscuits off my hand and touched me twice with her paw. I did try getting Chanel to come closer by putting the Da Bird toy near my feet, but it just stops her playing.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #316 on: February 25, 2019, 22:53:48 PM »
I DONT THINK THEY HAVE SIAMESE IN THEMBUT POSSIBLYRAGDOLL BIRMAN OR DAM CANT THINK OF THE OTHER ONE

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #315 on: February 25, 2019, 13:37:31 PM »
Yes, last week has made me feel really positive about them, the only downside is they do keep showing an interest in the door, but both know their name and move when you call them. Couldn’t get Coco in till 6 last night, I tried twice from 4, and both times she looked at me and jumped in the catio. Chanel is funny, if she is out and I sit on the chair, she comes in and asks to play – in the morning I try and ignore her to get her to go back out in the fresh air. I am wondering if they just have colourpoint in their background rather than Siamese, I stood on Chanel’s tail last night, and she didn’t make a noise! They certainly don’t have the Siamese vocalisation, although at meal times Chanel can get a bit whiny. You’d think it isn’t all that long ago Sue, but I’ve had them for 17 months now! My friend who has two dogs on foster for the charity had to speak to the manager today, so has asked for me, apparently someone will get in touch!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #314 on: February 25, 2019, 06:45:01 AM »

Desley, I'm so glad you decided to take these two on.  Just look at them.   ;D  Doesn't seem so very long ago that all you would see was a pair of eyes from some hiding place. 

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #313 on: February 24, 2019, 17:52:32 PM »
GREAT THINGS HAPPENING, IT WILL TAKE TIME BUT THEY WILL GET THERE

YOU COULDNT HAVE DREAMED OF THIS A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO

WELL DONE

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #312 on: February 24, 2019, 15:56:56 PM »
She does look a tad awkward on top of the cat scratcher. :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #311 on: February 24, 2019, 14:47:33 PM »
Have had a really good week this week with them, feel a lot more positive that keeping them was the right thing to do, and I think a big part of that is having more time with them due to quitting my voluntary work, not sure it would have worked as well otherwise. Tue night I popped back in after feeding everyone and didn't fully shut the door, Chanel went to it, and Lucy was on the landing, so growled and hissed at her - Chanel didn't react in the slightest, but makes me feel like integrating them isn't going to happen any time soon. Wed my neighbours granddaughter came round, Chanel took one look at her and ran in the catio, Coco hissed at her, but she is used to being hissed at, so she carried on walking towards her, so got growled and popped at! Thu night Coco went near the door, laid on her side and then when I called her name, she glanced at me, which I got a pic of, and that made me feel so positive. I did leave the door slightly open that night too, and she went to investigate, but she does respond to her name. After lying on her side, she got playful in a mad way and jumped on the small scratch post, and then wasn't sure what to do, Chanel thought that was a good game and kept batting her legs/tail! Last night she felt relaxed enough again to lie on her side, then decided to clean her bits, which while a good sign, I could have done without!
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #310 on: February 15, 2019, 19:20:05 PM »
Yes, they have come on well, and there is always time for a cuddlebug to come out, although I wouldn't be surprised if Coco comes round better than Chanel
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2019, 17:23:22 PM »
I think they have come on amazingly well, still time for a cuddlebug to appear! :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
That’s nice to know Tab, I was off on Wed, had a few bits to do so went out twice and neither time saw them out! 
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2019, 15:50:18 PM »
I went passed yours on Monday and the girls were both in the catio looking relaxed and happy.
They do seem a lot more settled

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2019, 13:02:06 PM »
I think I made her feel better too Sue!! I’m not sure how long she had to keep hers confined, although she had the advantage of having already established a relationship with them by feeding them – although she still can’t pick them up 7 years later! It’s nice for someone to meet them in the flesh and comment that they look content – it is a lot more work and effort than just adopting two ‘normal’ cats and being able to have them all loose in the house, but don’t think it would have worked, or indeed been fair, if I’d continued volunteering, I’ve even noticed a difference in Lucy. Still wish I wouldn’t get hissed at everytime I scoop the litter tray mind, and slightly frustrating they don’t hiss at visitors, but then Lucy hisses most days (not always aimed at me, she still hisses when I open the front door, just in case there is a cat there!). Had a lovely moment with Chanel this morning, she was rolling round gazing at me purring, but then jumped up as if she realised she was relaxing too much! I think if we can ever break that fear, she’ll be a cuddlebug.  Yes, I should probably contact the charity.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2019, 06:42:11 AM »

What I love about your neighbour's friend's observations, is that she is a step removed from your particular situation, yet fully understands what it means to take on cats with issues.  You invest so much in your girls, on a daily basis, and sometimes it's easy to be blind to progress.    And because your neighbour's friend knows how things tick, she's able to see just how far you've come.  And I think that progress will continue steadily over the months and years ahead.   :) :)

For what it's worth, I'd still approach the charity about the microchip changes.  if they then ask for the adoption fee, you can point out why you believe that would be inappropriate, having regard to all of the circumstances..   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2019, 17:54:12 PM »
Well, she'll be 2 in June. So Coco could be as young as 2.5 but think older. Chanel being her daft self
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #303 on: February 12, 2019, 20:05:32 PM »
I LOVE YOU TELLING US ABOUT THESE TWO.

ONE IS TWO, WOW I THOUGHT THEY WERE BOTH YOUNGER

DO I REMEMBER THAT THEY ARE MOTHER AND DAUGHTER

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #302 on: February 12, 2019, 13:08:35 PM »
One of my neighbours friends came round on Sun to pick up some food that my spoilt brats wont eat, hopefully hers will! She is like me, ended up with more cats than she wanted as she was feeding cats at her work, then when they shut the factory, she got CP to help her trap them, and had them in her spare room to introduce them gradually, although her existing cats are a lot friendlier than mine so didn’t have to confine them quite as long. When I said that it wasn’t my choice to keep these two, as it broke my promise to Lucy, she said ‘but sometimes needs must, and they seem content in here’, which I was pleased about. Bizarrely neither of them ran away, even though Chanel was in the open on the floor, and neither hissed, although Coco’s body language wasn’t great, she was laid in a really odd position with her ears flat. She gave them two treats each, which they ignored but had gone by the time we got back from shopping. Then I was telling her about Lucy, and she was in awe at how in tune with my cats I am, and the things I’ve done for them. She didn’t say much about the catio, although she already knew about that, but she was really impressed with the den. I think the combination of that and the catio is the reason it is working as well. Was looking for a new litter scoop in the wardrobe last night, and realised that now I’m not fostering, I don’t need the amount of stuff that is in there (beds, blankets, trays, scoops), so I think I might sort through it all and take it to the charity Lucy is from, or even split it between them and the charity the girls are from. It did dawn on me while I was sweeping their room on Sun that the charity never came back to me about the adoption fee, although that makes it a tad awkward as I also haven’t had the microchip details. I also like the fact that while Chanel was born outside and has human trust issues due to that, she came in early enough that even though she is 2 this year, she is still very kittenish and playful, whereas Coco is still unsure what play is, although she is getting better, she even attempted to play with Da Bird last week, that normally scares her – wish I had an idea how old she is.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2019, 10:00:05 AM »
I make her eat part of her supper off my hand every day, I used to make her it until she'd had enough, but now I just do the first handful. Chanel is still wary of eating from my hand
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2019, 09:38:16 AM »
I did notice when Coco was eating off my hand the other day

:Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #299 on: February 10, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
Yes, they are doing well - I had to take the grooming mat back as it was too small for the den and too large for the shop bought scratch post, so bought one of the arches, they were half price. She has gone through it both with and without toys, but not convinced her fur is getting close to the brushes. We are trying the second litter, I wasn't sure at first as it is a very dark grey, but it is a fine sand like litter and it doesn't seem to be tracking that much - or if it is, I can't see it or feel it. These seem to be like Lucy, will just use the tray regardless of what litter I put in it. I did notice when Coco was eating off my hand the other day that she has blondish hairs running through her tail.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat