Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 104498 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2017, 20:26:43 PM »
Used the 'tickling stick' again this morning, Coco bit it a few times but went from lying with ears slightly back to sitting with her ears normal. Chanel however looked incredibly uncomfortable, and moved away, yet in the beginning I had her purring. I'm thinking to stop pushing her, she will happily sniff my fingers and eat from my hand.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2017, 02:03:53 AM »
THANK YOU DESLEY...............HAD THEM THE WRONG WAY ROUND NAMEWISE ALTHOUGH GOT MUM AND KITTEN RIGHT LOL. YOU CAN SEE WHY I WAS CONFUSED  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2017, 09:41:44 AM »
Coco is mum, she's the sleek one, Chanel is the kitten and fluffy, and both are girls.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2017, 00:59:37 AM »
OK I AM CONFUSED WHICH CAT IS WHICH  :-[ :-[

WWHICH IS THE MOTHER AND ARE THEY BOTHE FEMALE?

I THOUGHT I KNEW THE ANSWERS TO MOST AND THE OTHERS WOULD BECOME CLEAR BUT NOT :-[ :-[

I THINK IT WOULD BE LOVELY TO KEEP THEM TOGETHER AND IF I DIDNT HAVE 3 ALREADY I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THEM

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2017, 19:49:54 PM »
Well, I might have had a bit more blood drawn, but a good time. She's more responsive to being touched by the stick than Chanel, so may have had a home. When she Hits, it's definitely a fear reaction rather than aggression
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
Well, we did have a discussion yesterday about splitting them up, I do think Coco is benefiting from Chanel, although not sure how much She's eating as Chanel has hollow legs! Then this happened last night
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2017, 14:56:25 PM »
Making progress Desley, slow but sure. ;D :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2017, 09:43:17 AM »
Now I have taken the carrier out, Coco is settling so not giving them the scratching post back. Got very close to Coco without growling last night, Chanel pinched the biscuits from my hand though. Made Chanel have a stroke again this morning, she was less amenable, but happily ate some of her breakfast from my hand and I got some strokes then
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 22:18:31 PM »
Who cares? They are both stunning cats. :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
Well, that went a lot better than I expected - I chased her round the room a few times, then she went in the top box - when I went to put my hand in, she swiped my arm, so I have two little claw marks. I then decided to wrap her in a blanket, but when I turned round to get one, she ran out and ended up in the igloo bed, so I picked it up at an angle, and put it in the carrier!! When we got to the vets, we just pulled out the igloo bed, and she was the meekest I've ever seen her, so we just peeled the bed back enough to get at her neck, and injected her, then used a pill popper for a wormer all the time letting me stroke her. Last night I hand fed her her full pouch of Whiskas, that was interesting, as she likes food in gravy. I decided to try and pin her for a stroke again this morning, she was less resistant, and ended up on the top den, so Coco was watching her have a stroke, then she stayed there while I got her a treat, and took those from my hand. She may have some ragdoll in her, she has lovely silky fur. In the flesh, their eyes look yellow but a lot paler than Lucy's, and occasionally see a blue tint in Chanel's - I did think all colourpoints had blue eyes though
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2017, 05:26:48 AM »
I think they could be Himalayan cats.  Due to the Persian breed characteristic, they can have amber, green, gold or blue eyes.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 00:00:29 AM »
IN REPLY NUMBER 5 THEY BOTH LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE BLUE EYES TO ME  :scared: :scared:

AND YOU ARE RIGHT BLUE EYES OFTEN COME UP RED IN PHOTOS. OR TINGED RED IN THE SUN

THEY DEFINATELY ARENT BIRMANS AS BIRMANS HAVE WHITE FEET, SEE LUPIN. THE KITTEN IN ONE OF PICS HAS THE CLASSIC LAZY CAT LUPIN POSE WITH THE FEATHER  :evillaugh:

TO MAKE LIFE COMPLICATED RAGDOLLS ARE NOW BEING BRED WITH WHITE FEET TOO GRRRRRRRRR

AT THAT POINT THE ONLY DIFFERENCE I CAN SEE BETWEEN THE 2 IS THEIR NOSES, BIRMANS HAVE A LITTLE ROMAN NOSE..............THINK ITS A ROMAN NOSE BUT RAGDOLLS HAVE A NORMAL CAT NOSE.......STRAIGHT?

THE MOTHER DOESNT HAVE A RAGDOLL TAIL  AND NOT THE FUR EITHER WHICH SHOULD BE LIKE THE KITTENS.

IAHE NOT BEING ABLE TO NIDENTY A CAT  :-[ :-[

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 19:30:45 PM »
What colour are their eyes Desley? I assumed (and you know where that gets you :shify:) that they both had blue eyes given the rest of their colouration.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
Well, I’ve had more blood drawn from Lucy than the fosters this week Paula, and I was only stroking her!! Have had a mixed reaction since taking away one of the hiding places, Coco initially seems really stressed and hissy, but then often settles and while not fully relaxed, she does lie in the open watching me, despite there being 3 more hiding places that she could go in. Chanel hisses, but then sits and gazes at me to either feed her or play with her, and she’s very responsive, so you can tell she’s just copying mum. She will happily sniff my fingers, and eat biscuits from my hand, but not interested in being touched. I did wake up to the sound of playing though, so she’s acting like a normal kitten.

Certainly could be ragdoll in there Gill – mum was a stray, so who knows who found her. You are the third person this week to mention Birman though. I don’t see the blue eyes, although there must be something as in certain lights they have that red tinge that you do only normally see in blue eyes.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 06:17:42 AM »
Sorry that you keep getting blood drawn Desley.

They are both very beautiful cats. :Luv: :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2017, 02:33:04 AM »
THEY ARE STUNNING DESLEY  ;D

SO THE KITTEN IS THE FLUFFY ONE, I THINK SHE LOOKS LIKE A RAGDOLL ALTHOUGH THE OTHER ONE DOESNT!

MAYBE SHE IS PART RAGDOLL AND WAS ALLOWED TO BREED WITH A RAGDOLL.......WELL KUST A THOUGHT.

WHEN I FIRST SAW THE BLUE EYES AND HEAD OF KITTEN I THOUGHT BIRMAN, BUT NO WHITE FEET.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »
Yes, you can guarantee on a cat for moving at the wrong time. I have unfortunately upset them - I needed to move the scratching post you see them in, as it would be too awkward to grab Chanel for her boosters, mainly because Coco is also in there, and will probably draw blood on me. I was going to leave it a bit later, but when I went in at suppertime, Coco was on the den, so I took my chance. Went in this morning to a very stressed Coco (there are two boxes on the den, and an igloo bed in there), which was making Chanel hiss, but you could tell she was copying, by her body language.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 21:28:29 PM »

Fabulous pic Desley  :evillaugh:  Sorry but it IS really .... err unusual  :evillaugh:  love it  :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 20:59:13 PM »
Another first - well 2 actually, it's the first time we've seen her eat wet food! I would have cropped my foot out, but shows perspective

Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 21:37:01 PM »
Oooh er, I was too bored today, when I should have been doing stuff, and bought 6 of those crinkly balls, 3 for mine and 3 for Gills. I was just  :tired: :naughty:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 18:15:10 PM »
Most relaxed I've seen Coco during the day. Had Chanel taking treats from my hand again, but she isn't happy if I try and touch her
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »
It's not been discussed, but the boys were here 6 months, and we've had a dog for 2 years, so am sure they will get as long as it takes. I just hope it's the right thing for Coco, a couple of years ago we took in mum and kittens, mum was very quiet so we thought she was homeable, when we took her for second vacc the vet disagreed, we found her a home where she was safe if she wanted to go out, they kept her in for about 7 weeks before she showed signs of wanting to go out and was never seen again
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
Do you mean how long I've got to bring them round R?

Yes that's what I meant Desley.  It would be lovely to think they could be rehomed together but that's not always best.  I know Dinah wouldn't have given a hoot to have been rehomed away from her family.  Despite being a fab mom for 12 weeks or so (even allowing an orphan to join her gang and suckle), she dumped Ruby and Millie on us as soon as she was able to and showed no interest in them ever again.  We thought we were doing her a favour but I often wonder if she would have much preferred to wave them farewell  :-:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:39:53 AM by Rosella moggy »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »
Yes, they are, especially when you consider it's only been just over 2 weeks and both had an unsettled few weeks prior to coming here. Coco has drawn blood twice while trying to offer her treats, my neighbour just suggested I used chicken instead!  :shocked:

My initial plan is to get Chanel homeable, then go back to the rescue for adoption, I don't think it would be feasible to find a home for both of them, as I don't think they will be ready at the same time, and I suspect they will need different homes. I think Coco will be harder, it's a shame Lucy is so intolerant, or she could have stayed here
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
I think, bloodloss notwithstanding, that they are coming on quite well. Softee softee catchee monkey, or cats in this case, I can't believe your neighbour thinks that grabbing them is a good idea. :doh:

They are really beautiful cats Desley, once you have worked your magic I can't see you having any difficulty finding homes for them. Will they be rehomed as a pair?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
Yes, it is tough to know if they would do better, but then Coco is watching Chanel play, but if I put Da Bird near Coco she pops at it, so I think it is helping her. I sat on the floor again last night (sciatica doesn't like that!) and I could see Coco watching me. This was when I went in at supper time last night.

Do you mean how long I've got to bring them round R?
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:52 AM »

Hopefully Chanel will teach Coco that you're safe in time.  It's great that she isn't following her mom's lead being so wary. 

How long do you expect to be able to give them Desley?  I do wonder if Chanel would do even better being away from mom?

Which in turn makes me wonder if Coco might be forced into being more friendly if she weren't allowed to hide being her daughter.  Such a tough one to call.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 20:15:35 PM »
Seemed to have a bit of a breakthrough last night, had been playing with Chanel and trying unsuccessfully to get her to take a treat stick from my hand, then my neighbour interrupted us. When I went back in, Coco had come out and was behind the chair, so I ended up sitting on the floor. Got Chanel to come part way towards me, then I started tapping my fingers on the floor to get her interested (I know you aren't supposed to encourage playing with hands, but I find it helps with kittens), and she could smell some houmous on my fingers so started licking them!! I got a full treat stick into her, part taken from my hand, part from the floor at the side of me, and part from my knee!! This pic was taken last night, if you zoom you can see Coco behind the chair

This afternoon, I swept the cat room, I thought I was only going to manage part of it as they were in the scratching post, but I was able to sweep in front of it without being popped at. Tried sitting on the floor again tonight, Chanel wasn't interested, but I could see Coco watching me. My sciatica doesn't quite appreciate it though!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 20:19:55 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 13:16:04 PM »
Interesting evening with Chanel, she was reluctant to come out for Da Bird as I was trying to stroke her with it, so thought I’d see what she thought of the lazer pen – she was racing round the room for it, but got so fixated on it, she wouldn’t even sniff at the treat I was offering her, instead trying to find out where the dot had gone!! Tried to end it on a toy, but she still couldn’t grasp it. Tried to offer Coco a bit of a treat stick, and she drew blood again. Went in at supper, and forgot to check where Coco was, she was behind the chair when I sat on it, she flew out, but couldn’t get behind the bed, so she ended up on the den – she didn’t fully relax, but she watched Chanel play, and actually let me put some food close to her. Chanel is finally eating all her breakfast practically as soon as I put it down, but tea doesn’t go down as quickly. They have been here 2 weeks today, and I’m still unsure about whether Coco can come round, although I was a bit happier last night when she let me pick up bowls, fill them and put them close to her.
Please spay your cat

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: buttonchops, jeronimo, symphony, tenini, montymunchkin
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 13:02:07 PM »
I have no idea re the fur markings or the color of eyes maybe a color point site can help, they are very beautiful anyway.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
I'm used to cats not liking new things, Lucy still doesn't like my rug, over 12 months later, just shocked at her reaction to something that wasn't near her (although that's a regular occurrence with Lu too!)she had a similar reaction last night when I scooped poo. Thu night was good, they were both behind the chair,
mum didn't pop when I got near, so I ended up laying on the floor moving my hand closer - bit disconcerting as she was growling and hissing but ears weren't back. Chanel has quite a few tabby strips where her points are paler, is that normal for colour points? They also don't have blue eyes.
Please spay your cat

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: buttonchops, jeronimo, symphony, tenini, montymunchkin
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 21:51:10 PM »
sounds as if there just coming along just fine, a mop next they usually like to chase them  ;) ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 06:59:38 AM »
Ah yes - the introduction of "new stuff."  Everything gets treated with huge suspicion.   :shify: :shify: 

We got caught out like that a number of times. 

Even Moray, when we bought the Tru-pet grooming glove freaked out at first seeing it, and yet he loves to be groomed with it now. 

When we got the Gurlies it was in the week or so leading up to Bonfire Night, and we thought we'd lost them in a closed room.  I don't know to this day how they did it, but I'd only left them, for half an hour, and they managed to get the sliding wardrobe doors open, winkle themselves inside an overstuffed wardrobe, and get the door pooey after them!   :-:

Cats are ever resourceful, yet capable of huge changes of mind-set.   How was last night with them?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 20:07:36 PM »
Thanks Sue. Had an odd moment with Coco earlier, I figured as she was in the top box that I could sweep the floor, a few minutes later a growling blur flew past me, was a bit scary for a moment. Got some of the calming treats when I ordered some more Calm
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 17:42:58 PM »
 ;D ;D  Desley that's great progress.  I'm sorry, but I'm with you rather than your neighbour.  With scared and/or feisty cats, grabbing is an absolute NO!   Your approach is by far and away thew better one - they need to know that bad things wont happen when you're around - that you're the bringer of lovely treats, and playtime and calm chilling out time. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 15:51:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm so pleased at how well she is doing. Coco is sitting out in the open more and doesn't look as stressed, not sure if it is the Feliway or the RC Calm. She has found a new hiding place, it's slightly easier to see her which is good. My neighbour thinks I should try and grab mum to get her used to being handled, but I'm not a fan of doing that to kittens, have never done it to an adult, would rather they get used to my presence, then use food. Another breakthrough last night, cornered Chanel and held her, after a few mins, she struggled away, drawing blood in the process!! Then she went in the dome bed, I put my hand in to give her a treat, she swiped me twice before realising I had food!! Gave her one bit, then refused to give her the other till she purred, but I managed it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 15:10:01 PM »
looks good, in more ways than one!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 15:03:33 PM »
Here is Chanel in the open
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
What news, Desley? 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 14:06:59 PM »
Yes, it is all encouraging – supper last night went pretty much the same, except that when Coco moved off the den, she didn’t rush into hiding, she seems to think behind the chair is hiding!! I did hope last night that as she will stay in the open, she has the potential, as she hisses and growls, but doesn’t fly off immediately, and stayed watching while I was talking to her. They still aren’t eating during the day though. I do enjoy the sense of satisfaction you get from timid cats, although not sure I’ve ever had a purr so quickly!! We’ve had my neighbours rugrats a year now, and they are still improving on a daily basis.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat