Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 103937 times)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #458 on: December 23, 2019, 21:45:38 PM »
THEY TRUST YOU DESLEY

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #457 on: December 23, 2019, 17:53:02 PM »
I had another sweet moment with them earlier, popped in for something and Coco was huddled looking very fed up, so I sat down and had a chat with her, you could see her starting to relax and then she shuffled herself to put her paws under her and put her ears back in a normal position, nice that on some level I can make her relax.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #456 on: December 23, 2019, 13:49:31 PM »
Desley its is the little things that help make the bigger steps and they have come a long way - we end up with cardboard boxes in new beds and their old grotty blankets and maybe in 6 months time they may go near one of those new things they did not require as in their minds the oldies were fine

Every little thing does help in the process it just sometimes takes years rather than weeks  :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #455 on: December 23, 2019, 09:29:02 AM »

:hug:  Desley - They're not the "little" things - to Coco and Chanel, they're massive things.  Enormous!   We have to get inside a cat's psyche to understand how fearful even ordinary things can be.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 14:29:34 PM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #454 on: December 23, 2019, 09:22:20 AM »
My neighbour said something similar on Sun when I said I didn't feel like they had really come on much, I do enjoy the little things, like Coco eating off my hand last night and getting a bit close and touching me with her paw, and Chanel rubbing my legs this morning as I was late feeding them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #453 on: December 23, 2019, 06:17:48 AM »
I think that if you read the first pages of this thread again, you'd see just how well you have done with Coco and Chanel. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #452 on: December 22, 2019, 11:23:15 AM »
 :wow:

Lukkin gud, Desley 

And Liz, Lima is exactly the sort of scenario that sprang to mind.   :) :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #451 on: December 22, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
This years new bed, how long do you think it'll take for them to use it? I have put blankets over the beds it came with
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #450 on: December 19, 2019, 18:02:21 PM »
Now ladies I have a very friendly Sammy feral only took 10 years and his brother Harper now lets me stroke him at feeding time and that took 11 years and the late Miss Annie feral so you may have to wait a little longer :)

Also treats like roast beef, chicken, turkey etc also make them more friendly even Master Blue who is 13 has stopped hissing at me at treat time the rest of the time I am nasty evil Mummy :)

The late Lima feral took 10 years to sit in the same room as me and at the end of his life deaf and blind in 1 eye Mummy was the best thing since sliced bread :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #449 on: December 19, 2019, 14:53:54 PM »

So many possible exist, Desley.  Keep an open mind. 

I firmly believe that one day we might be able to pick up our gurlies.  If it's when they're mature old biddies I won't complain - it'll still be amazing.   ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #448 on: December 19, 2019, 12:45:59 PM »
I'm not convinced Lyn, but they are what they are, and if they never feel happy in the house 24/7, then we'll work round that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #447 on: December 17, 2019, 21:59:20 PM »
They have come such a long way Desley, I'm sure you will win them over eventually ;D

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #446 on: December 17, 2019, 18:21:14 PM »
THEY ARE DOING SO WELL, WISHING THEM AND YOU A GREAT CHRISTMAS

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #445 on: December 17, 2019, 13:34:46 PM »

I genuinely believe it will come with time, Desley

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #444 on: December 17, 2019, 13:23:20 PM »
I know, so wish I could touch her! I was trying to get her attention last week and ended up prodding her as she was distracted, her fur is so soft! And I did it again last night, but she didn’t react too badly, and then did accept some treats and happily sniffed my hand, hopefully she realised it was nice, as I did have a conversation with her after. 
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #443 on: December 16, 2019, 14:30:23 PM »
not only very cute but soooo beautiful  :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #442 on: December 16, 2019, 14:28:42 PM »

Oh Desley.....    :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #441 on: December 16, 2019, 13:37:32 PM »
Chanel was being funny yesterday, they had knocked one of the beds over, and I normally put it back when I clean their room on a Sun, but didn’t yesterday, as Coco was sat where it lived, so this is what Chanel was doing when I was supposed to be reading to them, ended up not as I was sharing pics instead! One to look at when I have doubts that keeping them was the right thing to do, a friend said last night I give them everything they want, although not always sure they’d agree with that. I didn’t get up that early this morning, but Coco wasn’t back, I popped downstairs to find she was on the sofa, I tried to kneel to have a chat through the stairs, but that freaked her out. Decided to do what I do with Chanel, nip to the bathroom then potter on my phone while waiting, but the only thing that achieved was Chanel deciding to go and find her mum! So I had to go downstairs and convince them to go back up, Chanel was easy, but Coco was in the kitchen, although Chanel was cheeky and was waiting on the landing for me to go back up! Nice that they are getting more confident though. Last week I was a bit upset as Chanel doesn’t seem to relax in the morning till I shut the door, but then realised that was actually quite a good thing, while they are still happy in there, I don’t have the dilemma of them wanting more than I can give them. Next year I do need to try every night, not sure how much Lucy will like that though, she doesn’t always come to bed with me when she doesn’t have to! I’m off over Christmas so will be able to give them more time out. Will be interesting to see what they think of their new bed, I think I’ll have to put some blankets in it to help it smell like my house.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #440 on: October 30, 2019, 13:08:57 PM »
Thanks Tab, we'll have to sort out a time for you to come and meet them in the flesh - ironically they rarely hiss at new people.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #439 on: October 29, 2019, 16:19:30 PM »
It's good to read an update for them. It sounds like they are doing well

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2019, 13:44:26 PM »
they look great, dry cuticles are what lets mine down  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #437 on: October 29, 2019, 13:17:06 PM »
Thanks for the nail compliments – there is actually a different colour on my ring finger, and some of the nails on my other hand are longer!
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #436 on: October 29, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Well done Desley!

Yes, a really nice nail colour and I am well jeal of those long nails!

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2019, 13:25:06 PM »
such a pretty girl!  nice nail colour too!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2019, 13:20:39 PM »
Had another positive moment with Coco last night, she was on the floor when I went to give them their supper, so I sat on the floor in front of the door and tapped my fingers on the floor, which intrigued her enough not to run. After about 5 mins, she got this close, you could see she was tempted to come further, but then she changed her mind and went. She did eat part of her supper off my hand for this first time this week though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 13:22:04 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #433 on: October 23, 2019, 15:00:59 PM »
Lovely photo again Desley! And the 'double decker' bed sounds great ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #432 on: October 23, 2019, 13:17:40 PM »
And typically, as you decide they don’t use something so you can throw it away, you walk in to find this! They are getting a new bed for Christmas, it’s a two tier wicker one that will be stood on the floor in front of the radiator, hopefully they will eventually use it, think I’ll have to put some old bedding in it initially.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #431 on: October 05, 2019, 17:06:54 PM »
I had another first from Chanel today, she was sitting in the bed looking kind of relaxed when I went in this morning, first time since I have been opening the door. Am going to get a new activity centre for the front room, see if it gives them something to stay downstairs for. Just need to take some stuff to the charity shop to create space first.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #430 on: October 05, 2019, 07:42:58 AM »
THEY ARE DOING SO WELL THANKS TO YOU DESLEY

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #429 on: October 04, 2019, 18:01:41 PM »
 ;D ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2019, 13:14:10 PM »
While they are still not eating 100%, last night Chanel played with me, which she hasn’t done for months, and I’ve had lots of purring. When I walked in to sit with them last night, she was eating, so I sat on the floor, she stopped eating, but then came to see if I had anything interesting, then realised I’d left something on the floor near her tea for her, so had to stay on the floor for a bit! Clearly going away has done something, they have been a bit more interactive the past two days, both have played with me and Coco ate off my hand last night for the first time in weeks!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #427 on: October 02, 2019, 14:54:42 PM »

Couldn't have put it better myself, Desley.   ;D

For some cats, the greatest tool to building trust is to prove to them (time and time again) that we will walk away and leave them alone

[/size]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #426 on: October 02, 2019, 13:12:37 PM »
Well, I should have held off posting, they were much more relaxed last night, so managed to get a pic of them both together without them either hissing or moving! In fact, got this really sweet pic of Chanel and she did then sniff my hand. This morning Coco actually came and sat on the den while I was checking my phone, showed a bit of interest in my fingers, so I got her rainbow cord and she actually played for a few mins, while Chanel was on the windowsill purring!

Not sure it is safe to say no one else would have given them that chance, no one else got that option. As my neighbour pointed out when I had a similar conversation last night, we can’t always see things as we are close to the situation. Someone from CC has said this, which I probably know, but needed reminding, daft as part of it I do with Lucy! I’m not good at leaving them alone mind, which is probably part of the problem, they start relaxing and then I start trying to touch them!

“The important thing is to let go of our ambitions for them and see them as they are. Are they happy? Are they better off than they were? Can they relax in their environment? We expect a happy relaxed cat to want and love affection from us, but sometimes a happy relaxed cat is one that isn’t touched. For some cats, the greatest tool to building trust is to prove to them (time and time again) that we will walk away and leave them alone. When they really know that, then they can risk venturing closer, but we give them that choice by respecting the choice they make.

This is something I’ve probably not realised “Whatever the root of Chanel and Coco’s fears, they believe their response is the only thing that has kept them safe and alive so far, so for them to be where they’re at now is already a huge achievement and likely for them a happy place”.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #425 on: October 02, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »

Desley, don't be downcast.    :hug:

We were looking back on some old photos the other day, and saw piccies we'd forgotten about where the kittens - yes, they were little - had draped themselves across our knees and fallen asleep.   :Luv:

They never do that these days, but they're both confident and comfortable, and so are Coco and Chanel.

I've said it before, but you've given them that.  You.  No-one else, cos no-one else was interested.  Can you imagine how their lives may have been if they hadn't found a safe haven with you?   :-:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #424 on: October 01, 2019, 21:06:26 PM »
THEY ARE STILL GORGEOUS AND SUSPECT THEY MISSED YOU BIG TIME

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #423 on: October 01, 2019, 13:22:17 PM »
Bit late with this, as I was on holiday for the actual anniversary, but the girls have been with me for 2 years now! Not sure there has been all that much improvement if I’m truthfully honest. The popping seems to have stopped (I’ve probably jinxed myself now!), but still get hissed at by Coco daily, mainly for scooping the litter tray, I wish she would learn that I don’t get that close and I have no interest in going near her when doing it. She has stopped coming to eat her supper biscuits off my hand which is a bit sad, and neither have played with me for months, it’s like now they have access to the house every other night, they don’t need me anymore. I’m glad they are still close though, but that bond is obviously why neither bother with me, they have enough with each other. I was contemplating letting them out every night now I’ve been on holiday but something spooked Coco while I was away and she hid somewhere in the house the last night my neighbour let them out, my neighbour spent an hour and a half searching, went home for an hour and when she came back Coco was back, so as we don’t know her hiding place (I have a suspicion, but if she hid there, she was delicate enough not to disturb any ornaments!), I’m a bit wary of changing the routine too soon. They still seem indifferent to me being back, the only obvious sign they haven’t been happy is they haven’t eaten well, but that hasn’t improved yet either.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #422 on: July 23, 2019, 13:09:25 PM »
I tried a suggestion from CC when I let them out Sun evening, and didn’t fully shut Lucy in my room before opening their door, not sure whether she came out to steal the dreamie I’d thrown for Chanel or she got bored of waiting for me, but I heard a growl while brushing my teeth! They were just both looking at each other from their respective doorways, herded Lucy back in (impressively again with no blood drawn) and told Chanel she was a good girl. Not sure I’ll do it very often, don’t want to put Chanel off, hope the opportunity arises one weekend to let Lucy out of my room while Coco is still out and sit with them for a few mins.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #421 on: July 21, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »
      I can't understand why she would be jealous               

Think about it, Desley.  You've said it yourself.  Lucy's the cat she can't crack.   :-:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2019, 17:44:17 PM »
I can't understand why she would be jealous, but it makes sense. Lucy doesn't help by giving out mixed signals, and neighbour can't seem to grasp that Lucy rubbing legs is her idea of a stroke and rarely wants you to touch her in return. Maybe she is that used to reading cats that she gets frustrated not being able to read Lucy
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #419 on: July 19, 2019, 17:29:51 PM »

Well, as a pure outsider looking in, I suspect your neighbour is a little ambivalent towards Lucy (being tactful here  :evillaugh:) and is also possibly a tad jealous of the progress you do make, so feels the need to comment to cast doubt on your Judgment, and make you feel inadequate compared to her.  Dont play along.   :hug:

Link to CatChat