Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 103933 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #498 on: March 10, 2020, 16:05:42 PM »
What lovely bookends. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #497 on: March 10, 2020, 13:27:22 PM »
I am really pleased, but aware I need to reign myself in a little bit! Both ate some of their supper biscuits off my hand last night, it was funny though, I always put Chanel’s down first, so Coco was sat gazing wondering where hers was and why things were being done differently! It was their night out last night, I got up and went in the bathroom, looked towards their door and found them sat looking like a pair of bookends! Coco was just inside the door, Chanel just outside it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #496 on: March 10, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »

I agree.   To see the incremental steps by which their courage grows is so rewarding.  You should feel immensely proud, Desley.  I feel proud of you    :) :evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #495 on: March 10, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »
You really are doing well with them Desley  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #494 on: March 09, 2020, 13:06:11 PM »
Really pleased last night, Chanel actually ate part of her supper biscuits from my hand, and this morning she came and rubbed my legs while I was dishing out breakfast, can’t remember the last time she did that, and ate a couple of her breakfast biscuits off my hand. It was funny last night, Coco was watching her with a puzzled look, as it’s normally only Coco who will eat off my hand.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #493 on: March 08, 2020, 20:04:04 PM »
I just have to watch myself for pushing her too much now, or it might be another 2 years! I think she wants it, but wary because of Coco's reaction, last week I was letting her sniff my finger and Coco drew blood on me
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #492 on: March 08, 2020, 19:50:17 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

It's all steps forward. why rush it?   She's making huge progress so just revel in it  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #491 on: March 08, 2020, 17:38:38 PM »
Had a little breakthrough today, look what Chanel has just let me do!  :Luv:I gave her some treats as a reward and she ate them off my hand, which is a rarity. I'm fully aware she may be wary of me and not allow this again for a while, but so proud, especially as she has been hissing more recently, including this morning!
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #490 on: February 26, 2020, 13:43:50 PM »
Hmm, appears I forgot to reply! There were two reasons I stopped in the early days, firstly was because she went so rigid it was clear she wasn’t enjoying it, and more importantly, she had started to cuddle more to her mum by then, and Coco was still popping and drawing blood then, as well as being very protective! I think that is partly why she was put off, as the first few days, after Chanel had drawn blood, she would relax and purr.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #489 on: February 12, 2020, 17:51:06 PM »

Malt used to run away from us when we tried to stroke her, but we kept on with it.  She got more and more brave.  Whether or not you appreciate It, you're making steady progress.   ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #488 on: February 12, 2020, 13:28:57 PM »
Well, I could stroke her for the first few days, it’s just a shame the only time you can stroke her is when she is scared! She doesn’t relax when you stroke her though, but at least this time she hasn’t been wary since.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #487 on: February 12, 2020, 07:10:21 AM »
Could you imagine head to tail strokes when you first got them? You really are performing miracles with them Desley. It may be fairly slow progress, but it's progress just the same. :wow:

Lovely pics too, :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #486 on: February 10, 2020, 13:38:41 PM »
I was a bit naughty with Chanel yesterday, but she doesn’t seem to be wary of me after like she normally is, so hopefully we are making a bit of progress with touching – I needed to mop yesterday and she turned into ‘flat cat’ and when she is like that you can do anything, so I stroked her from head to tail, she has such lovely fur. I hope that if I do it occasionally, at some point she might feel a bit of comfort from it and they always get treats after I clean their room, so a bit of positive association.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #485 on: January 26, 2020, 19:26:43 PM »
that top picture is beautiful  :Luv2:

My friend said it's like she's asking to play!
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #484 on: January 26, 2020, 19:26:02 PM »
More improvements this week, sat down with the light on, Chanel happily came down, was very curious about the TV, had a good explore, and then at one point I was laid on the sofa and I felt something behind me, which made me jump - Chanel had decided to jump on the back of the sofa to get on the windowsill! Was impressed at her bravery, even if it did make me jump! When I went to go up to bed, I could see a cat at the top of the stairs, but was convinced Chanel was on the sofa, switched a light on to realise she was, it was Coco at the top of the stairs. First time I've seen her out since I've been sitting downstairs, she looked a bit panicky like she hadn't realised where I was. She let me get part way up before running back in the room, but then did eat some of her supper biscuits off my hand, twice in one week, a rarity these days!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 19:28:36 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #483 on: January 20, 2020, 17:58:29 PM »
One of the comments on CC is interesting: “Could it be you that’s let go a bit and freed them up to get brave’?

Very good point.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #482 on: January 20, 2020, 16:13:42 PM »
that top picture is beautiful  :Luv2:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #481 on: January 20, 2020, 15:04:20 PM »
I THINK YOU DOING FINE AND THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN TO MOVE ON

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #480 on: January 20, 2020, 13:32:30 PM »
One of the comments on CC is interesting: “Could it be you that’s let go a bit and freed them up to get brave’?
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #479 on: January 20, 2020, 05:14:53 AM »

They're really making steady progress, Desley.   :wow:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #478 on: January 20, 2020, 04:38:01 AM »
GREAT PICTURES AND THEY ARE SO GORGEOUS, THOUGHT IT WAS LUPIN WITH THE FAT TAIL

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #477 on: January 19, 2020, 14:35:00 PM »
Tried sitting downstairs with the light on last night, Chanel was down within seconds! Not fazed by the light or seeing me, although she did show a lot of interest when a ferret was on the TV! She did have to be told off a few times for scratching the sofa, but did ask me to play with her. Coco was in the front room this morning, let me walk past to go to the kitchen, but when I'd made my tea, I found Chanel on the stairs and Coco nowhere to be seen!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 18:26:37 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #476 on: January 15, 2020, 13:34:35 PM »
Maybe it’s a combination of me being around more, more time out and I’ve got back in the routine of reading bedtime stories to them, Coco loves being spoken to, but she prefers me reading to having a chat with her, as if I’m chatting to her, I turn round to look at her, if I read I don’t! She was brave again this morning, they were still downstairs, she turned to run, but then I sat down so she stayed on the other sofa just watching me potter on the phone. I think it helps that I don't switch the light on! I’ve been lucky again this week that my mistake hasn’t ended up in fur flying. As much as Lucy was supposed to be an only cat, it is working, even though I do sometimes think that someone with more time/space would have been good for them. I think Lucy is accepting of them as she knows they are staying but she isn’t forced to interact with them, and luckily they are nowhere near ready to have more time out, and they haven’t got the vocalisation of the Siamese.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #475 on: January 15, 2020, 11:41:44 AM »
Being around makes a difference also them being allowed to be out of their safe place, we have done a lot of the not looking game and on the whole it has worked, ours will be all over the house then when its 05.30am the house cats go back to their side of the house and the others are for making the great escape, thanks to our familyroom we can split the house in 2 then open the door to let everyone mix in the evenings and of course overnight
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #474 on: January 15, 2020, 06:46:33 AM »

Lyn - we do that with Barley!  We call it "the not lookin" game.   :evillaugh:  And it does work. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #473 on: January 14, 2020, 21:00:35 PM »

My money is on you being around more. 

Yes, I agree.

Many is the time that I have walked backwards towards Sky. It seems that she doesn't worry if he can see my back, presumably because it doesn't really compute that I am still approaching her!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #472 on: January 14, 2020, 18:32:06 PM »

My money is on you being around more. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #471 on: January 14, 2020, 13:17:31 PM »
Yes, I think they've had the lightbulb moment, but a friend and neighbour think it's the 'playing out' that has changed them. I wonder if it was me being around more at Christmas
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #470 on: January 13, 2020, 19:18:32 PM »

That's so good to read, Desley.   Amazing how sometimes it's like a switch tripping an amazing response.   ;D

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #469 on: January 13, 2020, 14:00:03 PM »
WONDERFUL PICTURES AND WOW HAVE THEY COME ON

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #468 on: January 13, 2020, 13:08:22 PM »
Feels like we are just going from strength to strength this year, not sure if something has just suddenly clicked with them. I think I disturbed Coco playing yesterday, popped in for my kindle and she was near the door, then when I was in the bath I could hear playing. This morning neither were back in their room, I got to the step above Chanel before she moved (I deliberately only switch the landing light on, to avoid spooking them, had the sense to take my phone this time to use as torch), couldn’t find Coco so decided to go in the kitchen to get their food bowls, came back in and saw a cat on the stairs but assumed it was Chanel until the cat ran and realised there was no fluffy tail! I spoke and she actually stopped running and looked at me. She moved to the top of the stairs as I went up, but I walked really slowly and she stayed until I was only about 4 or 5 steps away. Downside was I hadn’t seen Chanel sneak back out, so I shut their door, and opened mine, must have been in 5 mins before I realised there was only one cat! Lucy was just sat on the stairs and Chanel was on the front room floor, but Lucy fortunately ran back into my room, which meant I could get Chanel back in. She mustn’t have been that stressed, I heard playing noises 5 mins later. Actually, the toy you can just about see next to Coco is one of their Christmas presents that Chanel took out and put on the landing!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 13:09:30 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #467 on: January 10, 2020, 12:42:09 PM »
Good start to the year with them, when it was their night out on Sat, I didn’t feed them first, left the landing light on and then sat in the dark with just the TV on, Chanel came down really quickly. She was intrigued with the TV this time, and did sit on the rug near me for a while. When I went to go up, she flew up before me, but then I sat and read/chatted to Coco for a bit, when Chanel realised I was sitting down, she turned round and left the room again! This week I’m going to try just leaving the door open and sitting with the light on. It was their night out on Mon, when I got up on Tue, neither were back, I found Coco on Lucy’s heated bed! Told them it was time to go back, and went upstairs to potter, but neither followed me, I had to move the curtain to get Coco to come back up – unfortunately I didn’t have my camera on me. My neighbour thinks I need to get them one of their own, but it’s not that easy in their room, plus they still aren’t using their new bed – I put it on a different angle when I cleaned on Fri, didn’t do anything. Will post pics over the weekend, although tonight I'm trying sitting with the light on.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #466 on: January 01, 2020, 21:48:45 PM »
YOUR NEIGHBOUR IS RIGHT, THEY ARE COMING ON BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #465 on: January 01, 2020, 16:22:11 PM »
Tried something new last night, I let the girls out, then sat in the front room in the dark with just the TV on. Chanel came investigating, so realised this would go better with a toy, so dug Lucy's Da Bird out, which made her come into the front room, although she didn't seem to like the TV! Coco didn't appear, but I didn't really expect that. They also got all morning out, when I got up the second time, Chanel was back downstairs, let me get quite close before running away, then when I was going back upstairs after making coffee, she was lying at the top of them looking like flat cat, but again let me get quite close before running. Will definitely try that again.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 16:26:37 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #464 on: December 25, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
Thanks - was talking to my neighbour yesterday, she said she cant understand why I can't see how well they have come on, but I don't think it is that easy to see when you are with them all the time. You are right, Lucy isn't the easiest cat but she seems to be mellowing with age!
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #463 on: December 24, 2019, 17:37:53 PM »
Desley, you are doing wonderfully well with all three cats. Lucy isn't the easiest either. :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #462 on: December 24, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »

Tsk Desley.  That's not the spirit!   ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #461 on: December 24, 2019, 08:34:04 AM »
I wouldn't go that far. When I was wrapping presents I found some twine that I had bought the other year, I've cut some into lengths for them, they like those toys, hopefully they'll like the bought ones just as much!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #460 on: December 24, 2019, 08:31:34 AM »

Your Christmas miracle.....  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #459 on: December 24, 2019, 08:23:08 AM »
Was really pleased with Lucy last night, she was lying on the landing in front of the girls door, so I opened it, she walked straight in, hissed at them, then walked out and came to me for a fuss - at one point even hearing another cat was likely to result in her drawing blood on me, so while she still doesn't like them, she clearly is accepting them more. Chanel wasn't back in this morning, so I didn't shut my door properly to find her, so she went and checked out my door, obviously got hissed at, but Lucy wasn't too bothered by it.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat