Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
I'm used to cats not liking new things, Lucy still doesn't like my rug, over 12 months later, just shocked at her reaction to something that wasn't near her (although that's a regular occurrence with Lu too!)she had a similar reaction last night when I scooped poo. Thu night was good, they were both behind the chair,
mum didn't pop when I got near, so I ended up laying on the floor moving my hand closer - bit disconcerting as she was growling and hissing but ears weren't back. Chanel has quite a few tabby strips where her points are paler, is that normal for colour points? They also don't have blue eyes.
Please spay your cat

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: buttonchops, jeronimo, symphony, tenini, montymunchkin
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 21:51:10 PM »
sounds as if there just coming along just fine, a mop next they usually like to chase them  ;) ;)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray, Malt & Barley + my beautiful lost boys - Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 06:59:38 AM »
Ah yes - the introduction of "new stuff."  Everything gets treated with huge suspicion.   :shify: :shify: 

We got caught out like that a number of times. 

Even Moray, when we bought the Tru-pet grooming glove freaked out at first seeing it, and yet he loves to be groomed with it now. 

When we got the Gurlies it was in the week or so leading up to Bonfire Night, and we thought we'd lost them in a closed room.  I don't know to this day how they did it, but I'd only left them, for half an hour, and they managed to get the sliding wardrobe doors open, winkle themselves inside an overstuffed wardrobe, and get the door pooey after them!   :-:

Cats are ever resourceful, yet capable of huge changes of mind-set.   How was last night with them?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 20:07:36 PM »
Thanks Sue. Had an odd moment with Coco earlier, I figured as she was in the top box that I could sweep the floor, a few minutes later a growling blur flew past me, was a bit scary for a moment. Got some of the calming treats when I ordered some more Calm
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray, Malt & Barley + my beautiful lost boys - Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 17:42:58 PM »
 ;D ;D  Desley that's great progress.  I'm sorry, but I'm with you rather than your neighbour.  With scared and/or feisty cats, grabbing is an absolute NO!   Your approach is by far and away thew better one - they need to know that bad things wont happen when you're around - that you're the bringer of lovely treats, and playtime and calm chilling out time. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 15:51:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm so pleased at how well she is doing. Coco is sitting out in the open more and doesn't look as stressed, not sure if it is the Feliway or the RC Calm. She has found a new hiding place, it's slightly easier to see her which is good. My neighbour thinks I should try and grab mum to get her used to being handled, but I'm not a fan of doing that to kittens, have never done it to an adult, would rather they get used to my presence, then use food. Another breakthrough last night, cornered Chanel and held her, after a few mins, she struggled away, drawing blood in the process!! Then she went in the dome bed, I put my hand in to give her a treat, she swiped me twice before realising I had food!! Gave her one bit, then refused to give her the other till she purred, but I managed it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 15:10:01 PM »
looks good, in more ways than one!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 15:03:33 PM »
Here is Chanel in the open
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
What news, Desley? 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 14:06:59 PM »
Yes, it is all encouraging – supper last night went pretty much the same, except that when Coco moved off the den, she didn’t rush into hiding, she seems to think behind the chair is hiding!! I did hope last night that as she will stay in the open, she has the potential, as she hisses and growls, but doesn’t fly off immediately, and stayed watching while I was talking to her. They still aren’t eating during the day though. I do enjoy the sense of satisfaction you get from timid cats, although not sure I’ve ever had a purr so quickly!! We’ve had my neighbours rugrats a year now, and they are still improving on a daily basis.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 06:45:57 AM »
That's so encouraging.   ;D ;D  I remember how excited we'd get when we first brought the gurlies home and some tiny communication barrier would be overcome.   

I still recall the day that Malt crawled underneath my dressing gown, which I'd laid over my tented knees, and went to sleep nestled against my thigh.   :Luv: :Luv:  She was the first to make that move. 

They still manage to surprise and delight us two years further on.  Am really hoping these two can be cracked and brought round.   :) :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 20:56:37 PM »
I've got a good feeling about Chanel, I keep getting curious looks from her. Tonight I dangled the da bird toy out, she put half her head out of the box while I was reading to them, I did get her out playing! But reluctant to take her webbox stick from me, but came out for it
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 17:48:04 PM »
  Well done Desley.   :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 13:18:36 PM »
Thanks Dawn, am doing a Zooplus order at lunch, so will see if they sell them. Popped in last night after giving them some supper, Coco stayed on the scratching post in full sight, admittedly growling a lot. Chanel was in the box, I managed to stroke her and got her purring again (at least she only kept hissing, there was no more swiping)
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
I have used the Beaphar Calming Cat Treats

and of course am a big fan of rc calm!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 19:45:11 PM »
Ooh, do you have the name of the treats Lyn? Well, I ignored the hissing and swiping, and managed to get Chanel to eat some cat tuna from my hand. Slightly concerned that she is swiping a bit earlier now, like she is picking up mums bad habits
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie and Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky and Cleo, forever loved.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 18:04:21 PM »
They are both very beautiful  :Luv2: I'm sure some patient love can only help, even if slowly. We have some calming treats for Sky, they contain valerian and other herbs, and she has just 2 a day. I think they might help a little but it is hard to say because she is so much more settled anyway.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
it is, and I'm not bothered by the fact she has been reluctant since, I know it's normally one step forward, 2 back. She's swiping more, so slightly bothered by the fact mum is rubbing off on her. That patch is from where she was spayed
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »
Well done, Desley.  Even a baby step is giant step with cats like these two.  Is that a scar on Coco' s hind leg?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 09:14:21 AM »
had a good moment with Chanel yesterday, I got her purring for a few minutes before she scared herself and hit me! Had nothing but hissing since. Coco was exploring more last night, so I have a full pic of her, she ended up sitting who's the chair while I was sat on it, and growled everytime I checked she was there.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 13:09:33 PM »
Well, the decision not to eartip had nothing to do with looks,we hadn't seen her by that point. It will takes while, and judging off Chanel, quite a bit of blood drawn, but I like the challenge. Sue, I'm going to see if the feliway helps where it is first. Zylkene would be tricky as Coco doesn't like wet, but I have 1kg of RC Calm biscuits left, so giving her those
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »

Wow they look uber posh kitties Desley.  Very pretty  :Luv2: :Luv2:

The youngster looks quite unusual in a stunning way and can well understand why you didn't want to clip ears.

Very much hope you are able to bring mom and baby around but think it's gonna take a while?

Groucho's eyes .........  swoon

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 06:55:20 AM »
Beautiful pair, Desley.  If it's possible, could you put the plug-in in their room?  And Zylkene mixed in with their food?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 20:01:00 PM »
Yep, certainly a challenge Lyn! Got home to find them cuddled up together, which could be a bad thing as mum pops at you if you get too close. The feliway is on the landing at the side of the cat room door, so it must get in there. Got this, but mum flew at me
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie and Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky and Cleo, forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 17:51:28 PM »
They sound like a bit of a challenge Desley!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 14:35:16 PM »
ooh they sound lovely, I hope for their sake they will let you work your magic!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 14:13:18 PM »
Look forward to seeing the pics Desley, and to hearing how you get on with them both

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 13:45:18 PM »
3 weeks ago, we were asked to take in a ragdoll, she had been hanging round someone’s workplace. She was trapped, and taken straight to the vet for neutering etc. The vet did ask if we wanted to eartip her, as they felt she might need a farm home, but we wanted to give her a chance first. She isn’t a ragdoll, but is a seal colourpoint, we don’t think Siamese, as she is a bit too chunky for that. She wasn’t doing well in a pen situation, so we have shuffled things round to put her with an indoor fosterer, to see if she can come round. Just as we were arranging this, the person who had asked us to take mum asked us to take the kitten she had kept, as she was too wild. We decided that as mum was being moved, we’d arrange for the kitten to be neutered that day, to both go to the fosterer and be worked on together. The kitten is also a seal colourpoint, but fluffier than mum, we think about 3-4 months.

So far, they are hiding in different boxes in the room, mum (Coco), has hissed, growled and swiped when I went to put the food a bit closer to her, kitten (Chanel) was allowing fusses last night, but this morning has been hissing and swiped at me when I ignored the hissing.

Pics to follow
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat