Author Topic: New Behaviour.  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: New Behaviour.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 06:36:52 AM »
My thoughts are that you're still concerned about Coco.

Your instinct is telling you her behaviour is different, and she appears not to be at ease.  I'd heed that instinct.

I'd say a further visit to the vet wouldn't hurt. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 20:36:06 PM »
Maybe vet sooner rather than later may be a good idea. I have never heard of scent glands weeping before. Not that I am an expert.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 16:09:53 PM »
Sue has made the best response, but sometimes cats just change. I would follow what Sue said, make any changes of eating or toileting in a notebook, including furballs being eliminated, and maybe talking to your vet after the weekend if she is no different. If she isn't in distress that should be soon enough. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I have no idea what has happened to Pippa, I haven't seen her since this morning, but she does disappear for hours, so I am trying not to worry. (Yeah right) Why do we love these strange, independent animals so much?

She coughed up another two fur balls this morning and two yesterday. I have also noticed that instead of lying at the bottom of my bed she likes to lie near my face. The scent gland on the right side of her face is wet as well.         

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 20:58:01 PM »
Sue has made the best response, but sometimes cats just change. I would follow what Sue said, make any changes of eating or toileting in a notebook, including furballs being eliminated, and maybe talking to your vet after the weekend if she is no different. If she isn't in distress that should be soon enough. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I have no idea what has happened to Pippa, I haven't seen her since this morning, but she does disappear for hours, so I am trying not to worry. (Yeah right) Why do we love these strange, independent animals so much?

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 17:36:46 PM »
Peardrop, my thoughts are that no-one knows a cat like their devoted slave, and from what you're saying, something is not quite right with Coco.  Particularly telling in my book is your comment that Coco is spending time where she would normally sit when a vet visit is pending. 

Cats are creatures of habit, and she may know instinctively something is wrong which would normally result in a visit to the Vet.  (How else can she indicate this when the problem may not be obvious to the human eye)

You've had her to the vet yesterday, and they couldn't find anything visibly wrong with her, but that doesn't mean to say she's feeling 100% and I think you may have to carefully monitor her behaviour over the next few weeks.  I would also see if you can weigh Coco now, and keep a detailed note of differences in her eating and sleeping habits, her toileting and her general appearance - any lethargy, increased drinking or hiding away are all things to be watchful of.

I'm not saying this to disturb or worry you, but because I think your gut instinct is more reliable than a vet's cursory examination.

As a Mother, something is telling you something is wrong.  You didn't ignore that kind of hunch when your children were little, and you aren't ignoring it now.

I don't think it has anything to do with a loss of affection towards your daughter - and why would there be, as your daughter sounds like a properly devoted cat slave)

Let us know how she goes.   :hug: :hug:

She sleeps a lot through the day because normally she is in and out of the bedrooms all night so her sleeping is nothing new it is just the location that has changed. She vomited up three more fur balls today (she suffers from OCD licking her fur all the time). Although she has wet food she has dried as well and when I shook the bag she came running downstairs like a greyhound and ate it all up. I am a person who likes routine and this is stressing me out although I try to show it.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:38 AM »
willow and star both weren't themselves earlier this week, seems they both had furballs and are back to normal now, I wonder if it could be something similar

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:27 AM »
Peardrop, my thoughts are that no-one knows a cat like their devoted slave, and from what you're saying, something is not quite right with Coco.  Particularly telling in my book is your comment that Coco is spending time where she would normally sit when a vet visit is pending. 

Cats are creatures of habit, and she may know instinctively something is wrong which would normally result in a visit to the Vet.  (How else can she indicate this when the problem may not be obvious to the human eye)

You've had her to the vet yesterday, and they couldn't find anything visibly wrong with her, but that doesn't mean to say she's feeling 100% and I think you may have to carefully monitor her behaviour over the next few weeks.  I would also see if you can weigh Coco now, and keep a detailed note of differences in her eating and sleeping habits, her toileting and her general appearance - any lethargy, increased drinking or hiding away are all things to be watchful of.

I'm not saying this to disturb or worry you, but because I think your gut instinct is more reliable than a vet's cursory examination.

As a Mother, something is telling you something is wrong.  You didn't ignore that kind of hunch when your children were little, and you aren't ignoring it now.

I don't think it has anything to do with a loss of affection towards your daughter - and why would there be, as your daughter sounds like a properly devoted cat slave)

Let us know how she goes.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
Maybe a silly question, but is your Daughter old enough to understand that cats have their own reasons, usually unfathomable to us mere humans for doing things? My Pippa has been acting as if I have been beating her for the last two days, (I haven't) but I have got up now and we have had a lovely fuss session. She has started sleeping behind the sofa again, something she hasn't done for months. No doubt Coco, in her own time will sleep with your Daughter again, in the meanwhile maybe if she gives Coco lots of treats and fusses, if allowed, will help. :hug: :hug: :hug:

No fears on that score my daughter is 32 and treats Coco as if she is a princess (as we all do). :Luv:

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much. My cat Silvie (she is 13) has favourite places to sleep. For about a month or so. THen she decides to move on and camp out somewhere else.  Have moved her blankets around but for the last 3 weeks she sleeps perched on the arm of the settee. :doh:

Another thing she has been doing is sitting on the floor by the side of my bed, she only does this when she has to go to the vets or have medication and as that side is near the wall it is like a hidey hole for her. It is a real worry for me. In the afternoon she would sit in my daughters bedroom with her now she will only stay there if she shuts the door.  :(

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:47:21 AM »
Maybe a silly question, but is your Daughter old enough to understand that cats have their own reasons, usually unfathomable to us mere humans for doing things? My Pippa has been acting as if I have been beating her for the last two days, (I haven't) but I have got up now and we have had a lovely fuss session. She has started sleeping behind the sofa again, something she hasn't done for months. No doubt Coco, in her own time will sleep with your Daughter again, in the meanwhile maybe if she gives Coco lots of treats and fusses, if allowed, will help. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 22:20:36 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much. My cat Silvie (she is 13) has favourite places to sleep. For about a month or so. THen she decides to move on and camp out somewhere else.  Have moved her blankets around but for the last 3 weeks she sleeps perched on the arm of the settee. :doh:

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
New Behaviour.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 16:57:12 PM »
Now Coco has several beds around the house, the fluffy blanket by the window (looking on to the back garden) my armchair with her cushtey and blankie, my duvet at the bottom of the bed, in my daughters room in a lovely fluffy round bed that she was never out of. At night she would stay in my daughters room until she got into bed about 3am (insomnia) and then Coco would come in with me but now she is coming straight into my room and is lying by my face.She is avoiding all her other favourite places and is sitting on the sofa in the front bedroom (my son puts the Tv on for her). We took her to the vets yesterday as she had some soft stools the vet examined her and couldn't find anything wrong but gave us medicine for her tums as she is a lickaholic. Coco doesn't go out and doesn't pine to but we want her to go back in her normal routine as my daughter thinks she doesn't love her any more. She still jumps up her climbing frame and looks at me to tickle her....help

Link to CatChat