Author Topic: Getting claws stuck  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Getting claws stuck
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 23:20:27 PM »
How often did Cleo need to have her claws clipped?

You know, I don't really remember! It was prolly every 2-3 months. Not that often really but I have never needed to do it for a cat before.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 15:16:13 PM »
Merlins 'poorly paw' claws seem to grow very quickly, about every 4-6 weeks they almost touch his foot, like Kay, I also use scissor type ones.

I would try and incorporate fussing to include paw touching, that way they become desensitised to having them touched and clipped. That is what I did with Merlin anyway, I haven't really had him that long, a bit over a year, I think, but I started off with stroking the top of his paw, then the underside without doing anything to it. His paw is very sensitive anyway due to the damage done to it when he lost his pads and two claws, but he will allow it. (With a long suffering expression ;))
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 23:28:32 PM »
How often did Cleo need to have her claws clipped?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 21:40:27 PM »
Cleo didn't go out much and needed her nails clipping quite often. She had very fluffy 'toe tufts' and it was really difficult to actually find her nails - so, after one attempt where everyone got upset and Cleo was sick, we used to get it done at the vet's. She was signed up for their annual scheme (which included booster vacs, worming, flea treatment etc) so it didn't cost us anything extra.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 18:31:03 PM »
Unfortunately he doesn't sit on my lap very often and doesn't like being picked up. So it's not going to be easy!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 13:17:46 PM »
the claws on some cats curve more than others - Trigger had one that pierced his pad once - I used to clip the very ends with a pair of the scissor type clippers, when he was lying down asleep - I only did one or two at a time and only the front ones

if you want them done at the vets, a veterinary nurse should be able to do them, and that would cost less than the vet
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 05:07:05 AM »
I only use mine on Merlin's poorly paw. Mine are all outdoor cats so wear their own claws down, mostly on next doors fence. :naughty: It was only a cheap set from our local pet shop, about a fiver, but perfectly adequate.  I don't know if Xander is a lap cat? but I wait until Merlin is draped across me and just very gently and quickly nip the ends of the claws (his grow back into his foot). You can't be hesitant, but you must be careful just to take off the very tips.

Cats have a blood vessels going to about two thirds if the way down their claws, if you sever it, it will bleed like mad.  Luckily their claws are white and you can see it. I have been known to use a big pair of toe nail clippers as well.

I do make a point with all of them to fuss them including touching their feet so that if they get burrs (soldiers buttons, as Sue calls them) etc. I can remove them without too much drama. Merlin is not fond of having them done, but he only has three left on that foot, sometimes I have to wait and do them seperately, but it is more the noise of the clippers than anything.

Gill's cats have corrugated cardboard scratchers that they use a lot and are flat, don't take up much space. They seem to help, I haven't dared to try and clip their claws though, I think Gill takes them to the vet to have them done professionally. If you are at all unsure that is the course of action I would take.

I hope that helps. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 14:13:43 PM »
Thank you. He's only 6 so not that old. He gets his claws caught in the furniture all the time and then he gets one claw free his other gets stuck. I feel sorry for him as it must be annoying and painful sometimes. Also I'm not too happy about the ruined clothes! I think I will get another scratching post, I've seen one that's flat and can be used as a bed. I'll get the vet to trim his claws and see if I can do it for him in the future. Do you have any recommendations for clippers?

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Yes, same here - sometimes as cats grow older they have trouble retracting claws, so if Xander is a more mature kitty, then clipping may be the only answer.  Poor little scrap.   :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:05:34 AM »

Only think I can think of is having his claws clipped ... sorry Xander  :( :hug: :hug:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
Getting claws stuck
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
Does anyone have any advise about cats getting their claws stuck in things. Xander has always had this problem but it seems to be getting worse, he just got his claw caught in my skirt and ripped it. This is happening quite a lot and it also seemed to hurt him as he let out a small  cry. My cats are indoor only and have a big floor to ceiling scratching post. Buffy doesn't seem to have this problem but she uses the door frames as well! They have to go to the vets next month for their boosters so might ask about clipping his claws. The problem is he is nervous he hates going to the vets and I couldn't clip his claws as he wouldn't let me.

Link to CatChat