Author Topic: Any suggestions to be added to Our Health guide sections post here :)  (Read 28733 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Any suggestions to be added to Our Health guide sections post here :)
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 16:15:03 PM »
Perhaps a section on ear removal due to skin cancer and tail amputation

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gizmo the Persian, Bubbles and Ali the salukis, all rescues!
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 17:23:26 PM »
Nutri-plus Gel!

I was just reading about cats with tooth problems, or not eating and thought I should post a bit about the use of Nutri-plus gel.  To quote the package it is a "Dietetic Complementary Feed for cats and dogs -Nutritional restoration and convalescence."

I used this for years and it worked a treat when Widget had the tooth extractions and subsequent abscess.  It certainly relieved my mind when she didn't feel like eating because of the sore mouth etc.

It is available on line and if you look for it you can find it with free shipping and next day delivery.  It is made by Virbac Animal Heath.

Hope this helps some of you.  Oh, if your cat is just turning his/her (sorry my cats and yours are not ITS to me) nose up to their food it also works great as an appetite stimulant.

Love yas
da Suz  (by the way I was "da Suz" long before there was "da bird" so don't think I'm stealing it lol.  I'm half-Italian so it sort of fits! :naughty:
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for one good man or woman to do nothing!  Don't be that one person, stand up and be counted even if you have to take chances and put yourself on the line.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 00:48:21 AM »
This sounds interesting.........instructions please  ;D

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 16:56:20 PM »
To be honest it is very like the 'comfy collar', although it's not inflatable, which is probably a good thing with cats, nor does it depend on velcro to keep it in position - i'm not sure how that would fare with a really determined cat.
Comfy collars are not expensive, but the problem is you don't know that you need one until you REALLY REALLY need it and when you do need it you need it RIGHT NOW! :rofl: you don't want to be waiting 3 or 4 days for the postman to deliver it as by then you wont need it anyway and you'd be far better off spending your money on a of bottle of wine :rofl:.
If you are a handy sort of person (or know someone who is) and have the bits and pieces needed anyway its great to be able to whip one up in an emergency - if you have to go out and buy stuff especially then it would probably work out cheaper to buy a proper one.

Here are the 'Ingredients'

1 length of 2inch diameter tubular pipe insulation,
Short Length of hosepipe
1 thick shoelace
Gaffer or other electrical tape.

The other good thing about making your own is that you can make it exactly the right size for your own cat.
Instructions to follow.......
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 15:29:47 PM »
I think thats a great idea Lorna and it will help many  ;D

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 14:20:36 PM »
I think thats a brilliant idea and so good of you.  I'm really impressed with Sock's collar (and love the hearts on it). My Rosie (RIP) was terribly distressed when the vet put her an Elizabethan collar on after her op for mammary cancer and I had to take it off after one night because she was going mad.  Fortunately she calmed down then and didn't do a Socks with her stitches.

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 14:13:33 PM »
Following my recent trouble with Socks after she was spayed, I wondered if you would like me to post a step by step guide with pictures showing how to make an alternative to the traditional Elizabethan collar to be included in the Heath section?
I would be happy to make another one taking pictures as I go along.
Lorna x
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »
Yes, I hope that you could highlight in a sticky the danger of cats chewing on clothing and materials.

My little chequie died of a choking cancererous growth in her oesophagus caused by chewing on her comfort blanket which was washed in washing powder and fabric softner. I did not realise that fabric softner alone had seven carcinogens in it. In the end she could neither eat nor drink nor breathe.
sara.

Hi Sarasara,

Sorry to hear about yourchequie, we do have a link about fabric eating (wool sucking) etc in the behaviour guides section, not sure whether it mentions the chemicals from them though, something to look at including

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,14322.0.html

We do also have a link about poisons in the home:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4807.0.html
Thanks Janey. It's just that I felt a general warning to peeps about cat licking and sucking particularly to those who have got new kittens might save lives. I forgot to mention the dangers to cats of licking their owners; Particularly ladies, as they ingest not only bubble bath or soap detergents but bodysprays, moistourisers etc.

Yep good point, hope you don't me asking  :shy: did they prove it was the carcinogens in the products?
She did not have an autopsy but an x-ray showed a horrible lump like a bottle cork blocking the point between the oesophaphagus and the stomach pipe. It seems that there are not seven carcinogens in fabric softner but one according to this link (I have not researched washing powder)
http://www.nowpublic.com/health/fabric-softener-toxic-baby-beware-dryer-sheets-carcinogens
Unfortunatly I am soon going out so I did not have time to check other links.
My assumption from experience is that cat sucking and licking is usually caused in kittens taken too early from mothers and should especially be noted in rescued and deprived kittens. Kittens who have had bad experiences may have a mental factor attached.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:11:54 AM by sarasara »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »
Yes, I hope that you could highlight in a sticky the danger of cats chewing on clothing and materials.

My little chequie died of a choking cancererous growth in her oesophagus caused by chewing on her comfort blanket which was washed in washing powder and fabric softner. I did not realise that fabric softner alone had seven carcinogens in it. In the end she could neither eat nor drink nor breathe.
sara.

Hi Sarasara,

Sorry to hear about yourchequie, we do have a link about fabric eating (wool sucking) etc in the behaviour guides section, not sure whether it mentions the chemicals from them though, something to look at including

Thanks Janey. It's just that I felt a general warning to peeps about cat licking and sucking particularly to those who have got new kittens might save lives. I forgot to mention the dangers to cats of licking their owners; Particularly ladies, as they ingest not only bubble bath or soap detergents but bodysprays, moistourisers etc.

Yep good point, hope you don't me asking  :shy: did they prove it was the carcinogens in the products?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:18:25 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »

sara.

Hi Sarasara,

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 19:46:18 PM »

sara.

Hi Sarasara,

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 20:05:38 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 19:23:18 PM »

sara.

Offline cazanna67

• Adult Cat
The use of dettol in the home
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »
As you know, there are different types of dettol now, but the one that is harmful to cats is the brown colored one.
 :sick:

The other types can be used but, have to allow the floor to dry first.

Dettol have only just placed this on there bottles, i know because id been using the brown one for a long time. luckily

all are ok... ;D

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re the neutering issue. One aspect rarely dealt with is the discomfort MEN feel about neutering tomcats. They seem to think it "spoils their fun" (man crosses his legs as he says this!). It is important IMHO to address this. It's easy for us women to laugh it off, but it prevents many male cats being neutered.

I don't recall seeing a website specifically targetting men about the importance of having a cat neutered and how this doesn't detract from the cat's quality of life.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
What about feline hyperesthesia?

ccmacey

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 01:20:56 AM »
I think this site is good, got some catty things lol

http://www.wikihow.com/Pet-a-High-Strung-Cat

Gives tips on how to bathe kittens, cut nails etc  ;)

One of the paragraphs from "how to recognise a cats scense of humour"

Accept your fall from grace. Do you ever try to walk and your cat keeps getting under your feet, while they are herding you towards their cat food? Well, the only thing that you can do is walk carefully and do not trip. If you should trip on your cat, don't be surprised if you get an evil look, as if you did it on purpose (even though it was the cat lacing around and through your legs as you attempt to walk across the living room).

:evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:30:01 AM by ccmacey »

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Any suggestions to be added to Our Health guide sections post here :)
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 11:39:01 AM »
 :rofl: yeah it has grown so much since Nov  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 14:10:15 PM by Tan »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Any suggestions to be added to this section post here :)
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 16:46:05 PM »
ta tan, this forum is getting too big  :evillaugh:

you'll need to put an entry in google maps for us to find our way around  :rofl:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 23:04:17 PM »
Yeap hun it was hiding on page two - Link is ere  :Luv: http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4802.0

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 18:02:12 PM »
Ive just had a quick squint through thread titles and i saw one on indoor cat and window screen but didnt see one on cat proof fence..have i missed it or is there a link somewhere else ?

I was going to post the relevant links to someone.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 21:21:17 PM »
This is a good link debunking myths surrounding neutering.  Not sure whether it duplicates what is already there but it's brief and informative.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/myths_and_facts_about_spaying_and_neutering.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 15:08:23 PM »
I shall do some more googling, comps gone all slow since i installed the new printer  >:(  so havent had the patience yet! 

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 18:11:08 PM »
Sonya thats great thanks will add your stuff  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: keep em coming cause the more we can provide the better understanding of cats peeps can have  ;D

I have learnt sooo much from reading and from you lot and CC forum and realised there is always a reason why our cats do things and sometimes we don't ask why but think they are just being naughty. To the cat they are doing a completely natural thing so understanding their natural behaviour helps both cat and human.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 20:16:29 PM »
Give your indoor cat some oudoor space

Some links for makers of runs as an alternative to fencing the garden
www.bransby-bunny.co.uk
www.forshamcottagearks.com
www.grangepetcentre.co.uk
www.lindee-lu.co.uk
www.pedigreepens.co.uk
www.penthouseproducts.com

Have never used the above sites, they came from a cat magazine.

I'll stop now before you shoot me  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 19:58:55 PM »
Help im allergic to the cat:
Info on petal cleanse as messy beast doesnt name the product available
http://www.healthy-house.co.uk/products/petal_cleanse.php

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 19:47:15 PM »
Diarrhoea thread
The title has a type, missing an 'o'  ;D

Maybe remove the cottage cheese/yoghurt in the diet list as some people may think that you just feed yoghurt which for a lactose intolerant cat would make the diarrhoea worse!  Also a mention about onions in baby food would be good.
Oh iv not heard of using bread either.  :shy: :-[

Edit to say you could add white fish into the list, the fillets that you buy frozen in Tesco etc.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 19:48:09 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 19:29:27 PM »
You could link to this site in the declawing thread http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 22:56:21 PM »
Hi hun haven't deleted them they are good but needed to separate from the serious stuff. They are here http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4778.0

:Luv:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 22:01:27 PM »
Tan, have you deleted the links to the humorous versions of your educational videos? Would like to find them to save in bookmarks - forgot first time. If you've moved them, could you tell me where they are please.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 21:43:10 PM »
cor blimey - you've been busy, Tan!  Looks great. 

Not sure where would be the best place for it (behaviour problems?) but messybeast has some great information

http://www.messybeast.com/catarchive.htm#health
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 21:45:21 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Any suggestions to be added to Our Health guide sections post here :)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 15:28:44 PM »
All the other threads in this section will be locked from posting so they only contain the info and links to the subject. We want to build this up to a good section with lots of info for anyone to read and to help understand our beloved cats more, their natural behaviour and why they so the things they do, so if anyone has any suggestions of info for this section, please post here.

Thanks
Tan
 :Luv:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 14:09:51 PM by Tan »

Link to CatChat