Author Topic: Car accident  (Read 21352 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Car accident
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2017, 22:13:41 PM »
Just sit on your hands Sassybot, step away from the scissors............. :naughty:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2017, 21:03:51 PM »
The surgeon didn't mention keeping it on afterwards, but then he didn't leave the vet's with it on :p

There are only three left (technically only one that's doing it's job, the other two are loose) and the wound is perfectly fine tbh. It's tempting to snip them now and let him be a bit happier without the cone. Must resist though, over night can make all the difference.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2017, 20:14:43 PM »
I've never known a cat need the cone after stitches have been removed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2017, 19:54:08 PM »
The remaining three stitches come out tomorrow - thank goodness! Cheeky thing can't be trusted without the cone on for a moment. He's been getting clearly bored so I've rigged his fave toy to dangle from the top of the crate for a few minutes.

After stitches come out, does anyone know if he still needs the cone on to stop him licking? My understanding was that by the time the stitches are safe to come out the risk of infection and damage was low but I'm not too sure.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2017, 14:24:50 PM »
So glad to hear that things are going well  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »
So pleased he is doing so well, it is amazing how well they recover from things. Fighting you over meds is a good thing. Can’t believe he’s got more stitches out though!! Glad Trixie is settling down a bit too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2017, 22:34:54 PM »
Bless. :Luv: It sounds as if he is doing really well. Their recuperative powers are amazing.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2017, 22:20:56 PM »
Evening all :)

Little fella keeps improving every day. Today he is trying to walk with the leg extended and even put some weight on it for a few moments whilst he used the tray. He's also started really fighting us when we try and get the pain killers down him, have decided to drop the lunch time one tomorrow and see how he gets on as the vet said he may not need it. He's also managed to pull some stitches out despite the cone which is impressive - down to two now and they come out on Friday.

This evening Frankie actually sniffed at the cage and meowed (briefly) to get out. Not looking forward to when he is more mobile but still has to be kept in the crate. Going to be noisy.

Trixie came for mega snuggles last night, was so comforting to a) get kitty snuggles and b) see her a bit happier. She's still hissing and swiping at me sometimes but it's mostly food related so I can cope with that. Have concluded that upping the amount of treats they can have sorts them both out
 :p Before she was side galloping at the cage then running off when he looked at her. When she gets upset and meows Frankie does little calls that seem to calm her down which is so sweet  :Luv:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2017, 05:43:33 AM »
My goodness, Frankie's a little trooper!!!  How is Trixie?  Is she settling any better now Frankie's home?

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2017, 22:48:51 PM »
It does sound as if he is improving. Bless you all. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2017, 20:00:16 PM »
So I've just seen Frankie walk for the first time :)

I knew he had been doing it because he had been using the litter tray but he's being super sneaky. Noticed him trying to see if he could stretch to the tray, then when he couldn't he got up and hopped over. He's holding the left leg scrunched up (think flamingo) and hoping on the right leg. He did try and scratch the litter with the left leg after he 'went' but it must have been too hard. I've seen him stretch the leg out to clean it so he can do it, it must just been too sore or stiff to move like that whilst in a different position with weight on it.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2017, 17:13:46 PM »
Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that your boy is doing well - even if it does lead to a bit of nortiness  ;D

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2017, 10:52:47 AM »
It's good to hear Frankie's progressing well. Poor thing must be bored and confused, I'm sure he'll perk up come the weekend.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2017, 05:43:53 AM »
 :shify:  Ain't nobuddy getting ma floofy cat.   :shify:

Bless Frankie.  He's probably bored but does sound like he's getting steadily better each day.  Roll on the weekend, eh?   :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2017, 23:53:42 PM »
So sorry, not caught up for a couple of days. It sounds as if norty Frankie is doing very well. Trixie is a lovely flooffy girl as well. :Luv: If she ever goes missing you can track her down to Worthing, along with Suzanne's Mosi. :naughty: I do love flooffy cats. :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2017, 20:33:46 PM »
Naughty boy, pulling at his stitches. Glad he is doing well though
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2017, 20:19:15 PM »
Hey, sorry it's been a busy few days! Am desperate for a break as this year has been relentless.

Frankie is doing well but is in the dog house. He managed to get out of the cone of shame and chewed out most of the stitches  :censored: The cone of shame has now been upgraded so it clips onto his collar and he is looking super sorry for himself. Luckily the wound is healing fast and doesn't need extras as long as we can keep him off it. I'm guessing its a combination of boredom and the cut starting to itch as it heals but I can't wait for the end of the week; remaining stitches come out and no more pain killers.

He's still using the tray but I haven't seen him do it so no idea how he is getting about. A positive is that he has started pushing himself up to change positions where as previously he was just wiggling. He even sat up for a few minutes earlier. Every day there have been small improvements so I'm quietly hopeful that we will get him walking to some degree. Once his stitches are out I'm going to start massaging and manipulating the leg so that's an extra reason to look forward to the end of the week.

As we speak he is 'making biscuits' on the blanket in the crate <3

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
Morning Sassybot.  How are your furry family this morning, and how did the weekend go?  I believe you were on your own, as your OH was enjoying a weekend away.  Hope all is well.   :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2017, 23:51:21 PM »
SO PLEASED TO HEAR HE IS SAFELY HOME :hug:

ALSO GLAD TO SEE HE HAS HAD A FURRY VISITOR :Luv:

WISHING HIM ALL THE BEST :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2017, 23:15:13 PM »
Noodles ?  Shudda  read snoozles

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2017, 23:08:59 PM »
Awww, brave ikkul solja!  :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2017, 18:06:11 PM »
Bless his heart.  There are idiots everywhere.

Yes, I thought the reintroduction might be a little tricky but sounds like it's actually gone well, all things considered.

The puppy pads are a great idea.  If his tummy been shaved they can get urine burn on their skin so that will help keep him drier. 

They're both beautiful cats.    :Luv2:

I suspect when he's mended he will want to go out again, but as you say, he may have more caution. 

You must be so pleased to have him home, but anxious too now he's on your nursing watch.   :hug: :hug:  Don't forget zylkene as well as the plug ins.

Sending noodles for Frankie. Xxx

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2017, 17:25:19 PM »
He's always been super cautious that's why my neighbour saw it happen; she had a friend over and stopped to say 'watch this' as Frankie went to cross. It's just a shame some people think doing 60 in a 30 around blind bends is acceptable.

More importantly, Frankenstein is home <3 He was super brave in the car and didn't fuss or cry. We had a little accident when he first came home. The plan was to leave him in the carrier for a bit to get used to smells before transferring him to the crate. My OH had locked Trixie out of the front room but she was making such a fuss and noise it was dreadful. Ended up putting Frankie in the crate but he freaked a little and fell over, cried out (his painkillers must have been wearing off as the last lot was at lunch and it was 6ish by then) and had a pee everywhere. Calmed him down but because she could hear him Trix renewed her efforts to get in. Suddenly Frankie must have realised and started calling back to her, cute little reassuring chirps  :Luv2:

Anyway, let Trixie come in but I think a combination of big old cage, weird smelling Frankie and the stress of the last few days must have got to her as she was hissing every time she walked past and going for Tim and I if we went near the cage. Bought a plug in thing today and it seems to have calmed her down which is a relief. She came down after her late afternoon nap, investigated the cage then came over to me for a tickle. Wonder if this plug in will help her early morning scratching?

Frankie is taking his meds really well and is vanishing any food we put down for him. He's moving the leg which is amazing but there is no strength in there so he cant really work. As a result he's essentially peeing where he is lying, his poor fur is covered in it but there isn't much we can do without stressing him out. Got some puppy pads down which will hopefully soak it up next time it happens. He didn't seem keen on me this morning (I've been playing nurse so not surprised) but I got chirps and kisses this afternoon. He seems much brighter today than last night but he is so snoozy.

He was a little naughty in the night and pulled the plaster covering the wound off. Am pretty impressed as the vet said in a week I'll need to use olive oil to take it off.

I know he is poorly so I shouldn't tease him but he does look so daft with no fur! They have shaved half way down his leg so he looks like he's got a fluffy slipper on too  :evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2017, 16:48:40 PM »
When we brought Chivvy home after his accident, the vet said he would probably be much more cautious if he was able remember what had happened. Our problem was that he had cleary sustained a head injury, as evidenced by his broken jaw, so he might well have had amnesia of the time around the event. I hope Frankie remembers just enough to make him cautious in future!

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2017, 14:54:08 PM »
We used to live in on the outskirts of Manchester City and Frankie never came close to an accident. That's where he got his 'look left look right' routine from.  Now we're in the countryside (ish) you get some right idiots speeding. A little bit of me is hoping he doesn't want to go out so much after this but I know that even if he loses his leg he'll still want to go out.

Only a few hours to go, am getting a bit nervous about getting him home. He cries like crazy on car journeys.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
yes our cat when we lived in our flat in London roamed free day and night for 14 years!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »
There's no easy answer to that one, alas.  Where we used to live, we had a busy main road out the front, and a Metro line directly to the rear.  We moved to this house for the cats, and it's semi rural with a huge field out the back.  The road however is a rat run twice a day, and that's the difficulty.  It's also become so much faster and busier in the 16 or so years we've lived here, so you can move to a quiet area and it can become much busier than you anticipate.

Cats' habits are to traverse roads and hedgerows, and even country cats fall prey to the roads miserably regularly.  The most successful cats at surviving traffic have been shown to be cats who live in cities and large conurbations.  They become streetwise, and often use parked cars to shelter from traffic.  Still a terrifying thought. 

Cat proofing my garden would be my preferred option, but at our current house it's not feasible,  and OH isn't in favour, as he believes cats should roam at will.  I can see his point, but I'd still prefer the middle way.

Anyway.  Hoping that the next hour and a half passes swiftly for you and Trixie and your OH.  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2017, 08:16:53 AM »
we cat proofed the garden after looking lovely algie on the road, I know not everyone agrees with it but we feel happier and the cats get to see the outside world albeit a smaller world than they otherwise might

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
Oh gosh how terrible for you both :( What is worse is that it's not the law to stop if you hit a cat which just isn't fair - how are dogs any better animals?

We were looking to buy our first home and move soon but this has spurred us on. When we first saw our house it was in the evening and the again on a Saturday morning. I asked the estate agents if the road was busy because of Frankie and she lied and said it wasn't. Day after we moved in we were talking to our neighbours who informed us that the previous occupant had moved because two of her cats had been killed by people speeding. What are you meant to do though? Costs a small fortune to move even between rented homes and Frankie is an outdoor cat, he doesn't go far but he does like outside so we couldn't keep him in. This road would be a lot safe if people did the speed limit but they don't and I'm actually worried that it will be a kid next as there is a school not a three minute walk down from us. But anyway, rant over :p

I'll let myself get excited about him coming home when they confirm it for certain at 10am. Until then I'm trying not to :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »
Oh Cloveart, I can imagine.  We've lost 5 cats to road accidents, and whatever the circumstances, it's always highly distressing.

Sassybot, am thinking whilst it's a shame you won't get to go to the Airshow, having Frankie home will mean a world of difference to all of you, and especially Trixie, who's been missing her companion.  How lovely that she's also a suckler.   :Luv: :Luv:

I'm guessing today will feel a bit like Christmas Day in your house.  :) :hug:

Now Frankie - lissen gud.  Ma babies are saying yoo gotta be gud, an not does too much.  Gots ter taek it eezee, ok?  :-: :-:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzie and Tiggie
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2017, 21:27:22 PM »
I've arrived late, but I'm thinking of you and your kitty.

As a child, we (my family) had a cat killed by a motorist. An elderly lady on the opposite side of the road would, completely unnecessarily, put food out for the neighbourhood cats. They were tempted to cross the dangerously fast road and were hit by cars. She probably meant well, but if only she had known what she was doing. Forty odd years later and I still haven't recovered.
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2017, 20:36:12 PM »
Really pleased to hear Frankie is coming home tomorrow :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2017, 19:21:17 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense, although doesn't always stop them - Buster needed cage rest when he had his kidney removed, they did some exploratory stuff at the same time so his wound was from belly button to groin, and every night he stood on his back legs trying to dangle from the top of the cage!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2017, 16:22:28 PM »
That's great news, I'm sure he will be much happier when he is home - if possible, two cages linked would be better for him

I asked if we could and they've said just the one. After two/three weeks he can have 15 minutes room access. Then we build it to an hour. Then at about four weeks he can have room access when we are home (no stairs obs). He's got to realise that the cage is for not moving in apparently and the more room you give them the more active they'll try and be.

Found out that he is quite placid with most people at the hospital but hisses at the two nurses with strong scouse accents.The only person he has met with a scouse accent is my mum and I can't wait to tell her :D  :rofl:

Thank you all for your support. This has been a truly horrible week and knowing people are there and care has really made it a bit easier.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2017, 14:09:56 PM »
That is such good news, very happy for you all. :Luv: :wow:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2017, 13:38:38 PM »
That's great news, I'm sure he will be much happier when he is home - if possible, two cages linked would be better for him
Please spay your cat

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2017, 13:35:16 PM »
Fantastic news, way to go Frankie!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2017, 13:07:36 PM »
great news that he is coming home, hope they both settle quickly and he gets back to himself soon

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »
Guess who is coming home tomorrow :D

Got to call up at 10am tomorrow just to make sure he hasn't had a funny turn or anything and to arrange a time, but the note from the vet was super positive. Frankie is doing very well, very bright and alert, really good pelvis alignment when he moves himself. He's found his hunger (though only taking food from the same nurse) and they are certain he is peeing voluntarily which is fab. Vet said he is clearly very unhappy with his surroundings and is still calling for us so the best thing is to get him home as soon as it is safe so he will start relaxing. Am so excited!

We used to have a little golden beauty of a cat (okay, he was quite big really) and from being a kitten, he used to suckle on my right ear lobe.

Our other cat does similar, she climbs on my chest and licks and nibbles at my neck - have even had a hickey from her! Trixie is still very down; she wanders from room to room most of the day and night although the calling isn't as frequent. She has had us up most mornings at about 4am scratching at the carpet near Frankie's bed which is super sweet but super annoying. Am making her a puzzle feeder tonight and will check that link out for more ideas. Hopefully even though he can't play, having Frankie home will calm her down a a bit as she's a bit of a nightmare right now,

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
Morning Sassybot, I hope Frankie continues to "recover nicely" from the op and that he's home soon. Also hope you've managed to get some sleep!

Lots of healing purrs and snoozles from us. :hug:

Link to CatChat