Author Topic: Car accident  (Read 21339 times)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
Re: Car accident
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2017, 20:55:23 PM »
Thank you all for your wishes and vibes. Frankie is still doing well but the leg movement seems to have plateaued. He's taken to put the front of the left thigh onto the back of the right and hops along. I'm starting to get concerned, I know it's early days but still.

Today I was copied into an email from my vet to the insurance company with a list of injuries. There where 15 in total. We were only really told about his pelvis and maybe that he could be blind in one eye. I honestly had to leave the office for a few moments and catch my breath as it is heart breaking. Poor little guy has lost vision in the eye, he severed the optical nerve and it says that he has no vision. Then there are a few broken ribs. broken cheek, cracks in his right/'good' leg, chunk missing from his shoulder blade - which you can actually feel. Just to name some of them.

Am cuddling my little man tightly at the moment...although he wants to go for a sniffing adventure :P

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
Topping up the Frankie snoozles and the "get well soon" vibes.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2017, 13:33:46 PM »
We sympathise.  :hug:   I can think of so many Purrs members who, along with their cats, have faced this challenge for one reason or another over the years.  In many ways I think it's harder for us cat slaves, because we see the piteous looks, and it breaks our hearts.  The temptation is to give in, and let them out, but then we also suffer the worry and agony of thinking "will it be okay?  Will he/she do something which sets them back again."

I think plenty of cuddles are the order of the day, and grit your teeth for the remaining few weeks.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2017, 13:19:23 PM »
It is hard, but you just have to think of the bigger picture
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2017, 13:14:14 PM »
It was honestly the sweetest, funniest little look I've ever seen. Last night he walked over to the sofa and meowed for a pick up so I popped him on my knee. He was there for half an hour just asleep and purring, melted my heart.

I guess Frankie is just going to have to wait for a few more weeks, its just so hard on him when he just wants to be anywhere other than in the evil cage. Especially since he hates being so close to the litter tray in there. We clear it as soon as he goes but it's just not enough for him. He's always been fussy with the tray :p

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
Very glad to hear that Frankie is doing well  ;D

Me too Sassybot, Bless his little paws, marching on all feet to his dinner bowl. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2017, 16:50:39 PM »
Very glad to hear that Frankie is doing well  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2017, 14:05:59 PM »
It's so encouraging that when he's out of the crate he's trying to use his leg, but without doing anything reckless.  Bless him - would love to have seen his "determined dinner" face.   :evillaugh:  He's one brave little Sodja  ;)

Everything crossed his recovery continues to go well.  :hug: :hug:  Keep us updated.   :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2017, 13:39:10 PM »
Aww, glad he is doing well. The vet may allow it if it is close to 6 weeks - they are strict on the 6 weeks, as if they do anything daft in that time, it can cause permanent issues. I would imagine he will have a lot of muscle loss, Lucy did, and she only had room rest.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2017, 13:34:11 PM »
He's doing really well Sue. I was getting really concerned about him not putting the leg down when walking, but I think he actually just needs a bit more freedom to try. In the crate he doesn't put it down, but the last few nights I've let him out for a bit longer and you can see that the longer he is out the more he is using it. Last night he had been so well behaved whilst out (half an hour and he spent 28 minutes of that curled up on the floor with me) that I left him out whilst I made him dinner. Silly little thing realised what I did and came marching on both legs into the kitchen and stood next to where his bowl normally is. It was so funny. You could see the determined look in his face.

Going to chat to the vet about letting him out the crate when we're in the room as it's been what, five nearly six weeks now. If he was jumping around like a loon I'd be chucking him back in but he's not and whilst he's in the crate he isn't trying to walk on the leg.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2017, 07:14:36 AM »
How's Frankie getting on, Sassybot? 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2017, 21:42:21 PM »
Poor Frankie, but for the best
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2017, 21:30:27 PM »
A temporary set back.  A necessary one but as you say, counting down the days xxx

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2017, 21:30:07 PM »
Poor Frankie! It's so hard when we can't explain what is happening and why  :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2017, 19:40:14 PM »
Bit of bad news today, vet wants to restrict his time out the crate :(

Last night he jumped up on the sofa rather than coming close and meowing for a pick up. His new found confidence plus the odd pain he is getting in his paw have resulted in restriction to no more than ten minutes a day. Vet said that a) he can't be trusted to not be daft, and b) we need to establish where this odd paw pain is coming from. It's unlikely he has harmed the implant which is a relief but I've got to look out for certain signs because if it's a certain nerve causing the pain then it's not good, especially when you combine it with him walking with his paw tucked under.

Got to take the positives though, in two weeks the implant will be fully secure and he can have a lot more freedom. Plus he is totally out of the danger zone for the crushing syndrome which was a big concern. Not quite sure how Frankenstein is going to react to loosing his little bit of freedom but we'll get through it - t-14 days :p

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2017, 07:25:06 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  So pleased you've been able to get more cuddling in with your gorgeous boy.

Getting him out of the cage if at all possible will be beneficial I think as long as he doesn't start trying to be Action Man.   ;)  Do hope the vet thinks that will be on the cards very soon.

Trixie will need a bit of time to get accustomed to the changes in Frankie since his accident, but I think as his recovery progresses, things between them will settle back down again.   :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2017, 20:51:33 PM »
Aww, that's great news. Do hope the vet let's him have supervised time out
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2017, 16:06:24 PM »
So glad that your lad is doing well and hope the vet allows hjim a bit more freedom  ;D

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2017, 14:47:35 PM »
Lots more cuddling :) He sat with us on Sunday getting lots of cuddles and seemingly asleep until you stopped tickling and then you got the evil eye haha. The Vet should be calling today and I'm going to ask about letting him have supervised room access as he is stressing out in the cage - he's even been climbing up it! As long as he is not climbing or being cheeky it might be good for him to have chance to stretch the leg out as he barely uses it in the cage. When he's out the more he tries to put it down as he wanders about.

No chance of him and Trixie meeting up any time soon, she snook in this morning when he was having a stretch and she hissed and swiped at him :( Going to have to wait for him to be strong enough as she'll need putting back in her box.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »
How's Frankie been over the weekend?  Any more cuddling?   :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2017, 13:09:39 PM »
That's put a real smile on my face, Sassybot.  So pleased he's been out and you've both had some good cuddling.  It's better than any medicine that is.   :wow: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2017, 21:49:57 PM »
Aww, that's great news
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2017, 21:46:45 PM »
You have a good reason to be happy ;D

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2017, 21:31:09 PM »
Guess who came out for a little walk today <3

Out for ten minutes, walked straight(ish) over to me lay down and demanded cuddles. Got to put both my arms around him and fuss him just like he should be fussed. Feel so so better for some loving. In the ten minutes get had about eight minutes of fussing and the rest he walked slowly from the cage to me then from me to the other side of the room. Proper tired him out but I'm so proud to see him try, he's even putting a little weight on that leg although it's clear he doesn't have much control right now.

Am a happy cat mummy right now

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2017, 13:47:24 PM »
My Stripey used to pace up and down on the side of the bath when I was in - she was like an over-anxious life-guard!  :briggin:

That's too funny! Frankenstein just sits with me and looks at me with his big eyes until I splash him :) He always grumbles but never goes away haha

The metacam was the one they wanted him to come off so I'm not too bothered by it. He seems OK now, think I'd rather him be cautious than be a pain killers and think he was invincible. Going to try and call the vets tonight and see if he can come out the cage for a few minutes a day. Think it would be good for him and for us.

Trixie has become super loving recently. Getting the cutest little snuggles in bed and lots of purrs in the day - still hisses at me at feeding time though :p

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2017, 18:11:43 PM »
My Stripey used to pace up and down on the side of the bath when I was in - she was like an over-anxious life-guard!  :briggin:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2017, 15:24:03 PM »
I know.  I think it highlights the differences that veterinary practices operate nationally.   I guess it's like some practices use dissolving stitches, others don't.  Some advocate the use of cones and collars following spay and neutering, and others don't. 

I don't think it's anything Sassybot needs to be concerned about, unless Frankie deteriorates or shows signs of increasing pain and immobility.   One of my lost boys, Flynn, used to love to come and sit on the edge of the bath when I was bathing, and play with the bubbles. Until the day he fell in.  As he scrambled out, he dug his claws in to my leg for purchase, and I still to this day bear the slashing scar across my thigh.  Something to remember him by, bless his beautiful paws.   He had the smiliest face I've ever seen on a cat.   :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2017, 13:43:35 PM »
Lucy was given it despite her pre-op bloods showing very early kidney failure, because of the anti-inflammatory element.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2017, 13:37:27 PM »
There is some concern about the use of metacam over a period of time due to possible renal complications, so maybe the vet was just being very cautious in Frankie's case.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2017, 13:22:58 PM »
Lucy had to be in the kitchen as she needed room rest, and I have an open plan front room. She was quite good in the beginning and didn’t fuss too much, but after the painkillers were stopped, and she was more alert, that was quite hard, and she was allowed supervised access in the front room, so I was so constantly on edge wondering where she was, what she was doing that I found it really draining. The reason she was on Metacam for longer was because it is an anti-inflammatory as well, so helps with the inflammation round the operation site, which is why I’m surprised he doesn’t have any. I know what you mean about missing things – I’m going to rearrange the bedroom this week so she can start coming back to bed, I’ve really missed that (her op was just before Easter!) - didn't miss her trying to scavenge my tea though!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2017, 20:48:49 PM »
I'm also surprised about the short period of medication, although it's good to see him more with it. The meds were clearly knocking him out. He's moving a bit more today and is trying to walk properly

Frankie is in the living room so we can talk to him and he can have more company, plus we can lock Trixie out at night. Sadly he can see us and is calling for cuddles if my OH and I cuddle up :(

Not sure this thing has affected me in the same way as Frankenstein but it's not right being without him. He always follows me into the shower (purr-vert) and it's actually quite lonely when I go on my own now. Must admit I don't mind him not trying to sit on my knee when I'm on the loo though!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2017, 13:02:02 PM »
It certainly does Sue, I didn’t appreciate how much till Lucy’s surgery (mind you, didn’t help that the vet was very vague when I asked about recovery – 1 week in one room, then we’ll see – she spent part of the day/night in the kitchen for 6 weeks!!)

I'm surprised they didn't advise to carry on with the Metacam after the painkillers were stopped, Lucy had it for a few weeks after
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »
Recovery time will take an equal toll on you both, as much as it does on Frankie.   :hug:

:gpoint:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2017, 05:39:30 AM »
Recovery time will take an equal toll on you both, as much as it does on Frankie.   :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2017, 20:19:18 PM »
He's much happier without the stitches and isn't paying the wound anywhere near as much attention which is great. He is also off pain killers now and whilst it's nice to see him more alert its clear that he is uncomfortable. He's less willing to get up and move and hes holding it rather than stretching it out when he tries walking. He can stretch the leg as he does it to clean it, it must just be super sore to walk on.

My OH and I take turns sat next to the crate with him and tickle through the bars. Think he appreciates it but I'm desperate for a massive cuddle.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »
Morning Sassybot.  How's Frankie doing now the stitches are out?

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2017, 23:24:28 PM »
Don't know any cat (or dog) that wouldn't be. :hug: :hug: :hug: Glad that Frankie is doing so well. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2017, 20:52:06 PM »
Am sure he will be much happier without the cone
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2017, 20:22:35 PM »
I was good and left the alone. Have just taken them out (not vet visit needed) and he was a good boy. Watched me do it with no fuss at all. Gave the area a little sniff then ate his dinner. Seems happier to be without the cone :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2017, 14:11:21 PM »
Hope the vet appointment goes well today!

Link to CatChat