Author Topic: Car accident  (Read 21229 times)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
Re: Car accident
« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2017, 17:08:45 PM »
Thanks for your kind words of support. I've only been in the job since May so am having to spin some fibs as to why I'm leaving to potential employers, doesn't feel great.

Frankenstein spent the weekend glued to my side - if Tim sat next to me he got right in between us. Am going to have to knock this behaviour on the head, but he's just so cute  :Luv2:

Need to find him some good toys as he has a lot of energy (Frankie not Tim) that isn't being burnt off now he can't go outside.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2017, 16:37:23 PM »
Sorry Sassybot, I did post yesterday, but it appears to have disappeared. >:( Something along the lines of.

Who said nepotism is dead? :mad2: How ruddy annoying for you, I am sure that you find something far better soon. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Such good new about Frankie :Luv:. Poor Tim though. Ostracised in his own home. :evillaugh:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2017, 18:13:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about your job, but pleased he is doing well
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2017, 15:01:56 PM »
Hi Sassybot,

I am so sorry to hear about your job - although it does sound as if you are better out of it. Here's hoping you find something just right very soon  :hug:

Great news about Frankie though  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2017, 13:03:34 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about the job, but if it's any consolation, sounds like you're better off out of it.   :hug: :hug:

the upside though is knowing Frankie's doing really well on his dodgy leg.   ;D  Maybe not such good news for Tim, if he can't get a look in  :innocent:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
Hi all, sorry for the delay in response, it's been horrible here. Essentially I got a new job a few months back and a few weeks ago my boss took me to one side and told me I either resign or they fail my probation. Obviously I resigned but then I found out that she brought her friend in who had just lost her own job.

ANYWAY, Frankie is doing really well. He will always have a limp but he is walking on the leg. He has been charging around the house after Trixie and even managing to jump up on the windowsill! As I've been home a lot the last few weeks he has become quite protective and gets very jealous when Tim comes home. He even pushes at our hands if we are holding hands! Little terror.

Trixie seems happy to have her brother back, not as stressed and is back to her usual air-head self.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2017, 13:33:58 PM »
Brilliant news Sassybot, is he starting to use his leg a bit more now? :Luv: He really is doing well.

My Sammy used to lie on my pillow at night and play with my hair until she got to my scalp. :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2017, 13:23:06 PM »
Aww, that's great news
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »
 :wow: :wow: :wow:  That's such good news, Sassybot!    Way to go, Frankie Baby!   :Luv:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »
My sister's cat Tia used to comb my hair.  If I sat down, she'd be there in a shot, and would be my hairdresser for as long as I would sit still.

Frankie does similar, he's a proper cheeky head.

We went away Friday/Saturday and came home Sunday. Frankie was out of the cage and happily roaming around. Have taken the cage down now, he really does not need it.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2017, 12:43:48 PM »
Aww, bless Frankenstein – he’s not odd, they all have little foibles, some are just sweeter than others. Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
No, not odd - he's uniquely, perfectly, sweetly and undeniably a one-off and best yet - he's all yours!!!   :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:   I think it's adorable that he plays with your hair in his sleep.  My sister's cat Tia used to comb my hair.  If I sat down, she'd be there in a shot, and would be my hairdresser for as long as I would sit still.   :evillaugh:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2017, 07:58:29 AM »
I've only seen him jump on the windowsill once and he did it so carefully it was almost comical to watch :) He's never really been a cat who likes to climb on things so hopefully that will work in his favour as he recovers.

Vet wants another video of him this time next week and then we'll probably look at taking him for an appointment. In himself Frankenstein seems totally fine, he was playing with my hair in his sleep last night which is super sweet - he's done it since we first met him as a four week old kitten. He does that 'making biscuits' thing in it. When he was small enough he'd climb onto my shoulder and bury himself in it. Now, or at least before the accident, he would just sit behind me and touch it. He's quite an odd kitty really.

Life at home seems to be getting back to normal which is nice. Think over the weekend we'll see about leaving him out when we pop the shops, build up our trust before he gets unsupervised access.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2017, 13:09:44 PM »
I wouldn’t worry too much about him not using his leg too much at the moment, it’s still very early days, and he will have muscle loss, which will improve with more use – Lucy did, and she only had room rest, and was doing ‘naughty’ things like jumping quite early on. I think making an appointment in the next few weeks is a good plan.
Please spay your cat

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
Great to hear how well he's doing - regardless of the left leg!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »
Bless Frankie.  I'm sure, whether or not he ultimately has to forego his paw, he will manage perfectly well on his three good legs. 

Sending super strength snoozles to Frankie   :cat rub:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2017, 07:46:18 AM »
My partner came home last night and was so excited to have Frankenstein cuddle up like he used to. Jumped into his part of the bed and looked at him like 'noo this is my space' :p

I'm must admit I'm not overly hopeful about him regaining much more movement in the left leg. Whilst he isn't supporting it on the back of the right leg, he is just hopping very lightly on it and has been for a fair few weeks. All that seems to have changed is how well he copes with the hopping. Just because he is hopping doesn't mean the leg will come off though I think. The vet said he would take it off if it became a hindrance and it doesn't seem like this is the case.

Hopefully going to try and get him back to the vet over the next few weeks as I'd feel better for a physical check up as it's hard to tell if Frankie is just being protective of the leg when you touch it in certain places or if he is having some discomfort.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2017, 14:02:51 PM »
     About half an hour later as I'm snuggled down I feel a little pressure on the bed next to me followed by very loud purrs and super snuggles. Was really nice to have him back :)                 

Of course it was.  The bestest bit.  :Luv: :Luv:

Am hoping too that he will begin to use his leg more now he has access to all of the house, supervised.    :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2017, 13:32:54 PM »
Aww, bless him - fingers crossed he just needs to use it more
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2017, 13:30:07 PM »
Frankie cuddles. :wow: :wow: :wow: So pleased for you. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2017, 13:06:25 PM »
Hi All

So on Thursday last week the vet said Frankie could have total access to the house as long as we are in. This followed him seeing a few videos of Frankenstein's progress. Whilst he is still hoping about the different in the week or so of room access has made the vet think that house access will help speed the recovery up. He's enjoyed a lot of cuddles this weekend as my partner hasn't been home. Decided on Saturday to let him out over night as he was stuck under the bed and I was too tired to move the bed to get him! About half an hour later as I'm snuggled down I feel a little pressure on the bed next to me followed by very loud purrs and super snuggles. Was really nice to have him back :)

The future of his leg is still pretty uncertain as he really isn't using it that well, but at least he is coping and getting by well. Think he'll have to go back the vet in a few weeks and then we'll know more.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »
How's Frankie doing, Sassybot?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:16 PM »
Such an anxious time for you, especially after everything you and Frankie have been through so far.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »
It may be worth asking for Gabapentin. It helps nerve regeneration and I have heard of it being used in cats as well.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2017, 21:11:14 PM »
If it wasn't for the uncertainty about if he would keep the leg I think our local would still see him. On top of it being a tricky break, it happened right above the nerve 'bank' for the left leg and there was a lot of damage. The break itself will be well on its way to healing but it's the damage to the nerves that's the issue.

It's not that I don't trust our local vet (who completely saved his life), it's just I agree it's best for the guy who did the op to keep on track of this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2017, 20:58:21 PM »
Ah right, I assumed follow ups would be done by your usual vet
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2017, 20:54:43 PM »
It was to do with the nature of the fracture. If it had broken in any other way my vet (two minutes drive) or any others would have been able to operate. Our practice had one lady who might have been able to do it but she was on holiday and it would have meant waiting a full week and for her to possibly say she couldn't do it.

There was also another hospital that was close who could have seen him but again the wait would have been a week which was unacceptable. The hospital he ended up at is like five minutes away from where I grew up so if he had to stay longer my mum could have gone and given him a fuss and sorted anything out that I couldn't do due to distance and work.

I just hope he never has to go back. For a start he's a miserable creature in the car - sounds like he's dying :P

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2017, 20:14:53 PM »
Glad you have spoken to the vet, cant believe you have to travel so much for one!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2017, 20:07:11 PM »
Spoke to the vet about 4ish. He's said Frankenstein can have room access whenever we are home which is great news. He is hoping that the extra time out will encourage him to start trying to use the leg rather than hopping about. He's concerned that he has started 'hooking' his leg onto the other rather than trying to use it but also thinks it may just be Frankie being smart and thinking it's quicker and more comfy to move that way.

I'm going to take some videos of him and send them across over the next few days.

Vet is an hours drive away so both myself and the vet don't want to stress Frankie out by the journey unless we have to. Plus he categorically would not walk in the vets :p So unless there are major concerns or he just isn't doing any better he wont go back for a fair while.

Frankenstein is loving the extra freedom tonight. He even groomed Trixie which made my heart melt. You should have seen her little face, she looked so content to have her bro back...then she biffed him. Cats!  :Crazy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2017, 19:44:35 PM »
I'd make an appointment to see the vet, and take a video with you, if he's anything like Lucy he'll refuse to walk at the vet!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2017, 14:42:01 PM »
What a beautiful cat James is!  :Luv:

Frankie seems to be coping with it all perfectly well tbh. Even if they removed his eye it wouldn't change how much I love him though, it was just so hard to see that list.

Should be having a catch up with the vet at some point this week but I must admit that hopeful streak I had is fading a bit. He's starting to adjust to not using the leg at all. The last few days I've not seen him put it down to walk on. He's learnt that he can pop it on the back of the other leg and hop about which isn't encouraging.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2017, 07:00:40 AM »
:wow:  How lovely to see the gorgeous James again.   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Frances makes some really good points.  I try to emulate our wonderful cats and to live for the day.  It's hard for us Hoomans, but we need to take inspiration from them.  Every day is about "being Cat" (and sometimes "More Cat")  ;) :Luv:

(Note to self:  remember this, when the deadline I've failed to meet is brought to my attention again, today)

And of course sending warmest snoozles to Fabulous Frankie.   :cat rub: :catlove2: :cat rub:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2017, 19:30:45 PM »
One of my cats, James, wound up in rescue after being hit by a car in summer 2010.  He had a broken jaw, split tongue and damage to his right eye, plus road burn to right front leg. 

Seven years on he still has a wonky eye; it’s hard to tell how much his vision has been affected although he manages to down a flying frenzy without any problems and jumps distances accurately.  He has developed arthritis in his right front leg which has worsened in the last four years (visible on x-rays taken while already under sedation for dentals) and is now on daily Metacam.  However the only external sign of this is that he’s a heat-seeking missile – top of the boiler is his favourite place in winter.  He has also lost a fair number of teeth on the right side over the years.

Once Frankie recovers fully from his immediate injuries he may well have wonky bits and need keeping a special eye on for long-term consequences but he will never sit around moaning “poor me”.  As other have said, cats have phenomenal powers of recovery and live for the day :).

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2017, 18:41:52 PM »
It must have been horrible to read, but Frankie doesn't know he has 15 injuries, he just wants to get on with things!

Completely true. As I type he is meowing to be let out the crate. Can't wait for us to hit six weeks and then I can just let him do what he wants (within reasons). He's started sniffing at the kitchen door when out so it will only be a matter of time before he decides he is fit to explore.

At least at six weeks the vet is certain the implant is completely secure and Frankie wont be able to damage it. Slightly more freedom for him and slightly less stress for us.

The list was such a shock. As you've all said they just told us what we needed to know, and I know Frankie will be OK without vision in one eye but it's still hard. He got a nice big bowl of fishies to make up for it.

On the plus side, the insurance have our claim!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2017, 14:33:12 PM »
It must have been horrible to read, but Frankie doesn't know he has 15 injuries, he just wants to get on with things!

Cats are amazing creatures - we would be in hospital on heavy duty pain killers with just a fraction of those injuries.

This is absolutely true, although I understand what a shock it must have been for you to read that!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »

Cats are amazing creatures - we would be in hospital on heavy duty pain killers with just a fraction of those injuries.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
Sue is right about the vision. My Pirate has limited/ maybe non existent vision in one eye due to his congenital deformities (hence his name) and it doesn't limit him at all.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »
Yes, this will have been a tremendous shock for you.  Sometimes the vets only tell us about the main things, but Frankie has had one heck of a time of it by all accounts.  No wonder you just want to cuddle him and keep him safe.  I would also mention the change in movement to the Vet just so they can monitor it.

As for him losing vision in one eye, cats have the most amazing senses - much more heightened awareness than we have, and  his other sense will hone themselves even sharper to compensate.  On an emotional level, of course it hurts to think of what he's suffered, and that he will have residual damage to his vision.  On a practical level, cats cope much better with these kinds of things than we do.  I know that Moray has limited vision in one eye following his accident, but I also know it doesn't hold him back at all. 

Sending lots of gentle snoozles for Frankie from all of us at Pad Towers.  :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2017, 21:55:04 PM »
So sorry to hear his injuries are worse than you thought. I'd definitely speak to the vet about his leg,
I did a home visit the other week, their dog had cruciate ligament surgery and was having laser therapy, might be worth asking the vet about. 
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2017, 21:00:36 PM »
What a shock for you, I am not surprised that you needed a little 'time out'. :care: :care: :care: Poor Frankie. :blow kiss:

Sorry, addled brain from 12+ hours driving today, but maybe worth a phone call mentioning it to your vet, They may be able to give you physio type stretches and exercises for you to do with him. xxx
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 21:03:12 PM by Judecat (Paula) »

Link to CatChat