Author Topic: What's the best wet food?  (Read 4038 times)

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
Re: What's the best wet food?
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 19:52:28 PM »

Hello and welcome

Tried the Hoolies on just about everything and they will only eat Felix AGAIL, as Sue said and Crunchy Crumbles. They will eat boiled chicken now and again so when I go to the shops I look for the reduced price meat, breast or fillets. They also have James Wellbeloved Turkey, light, dry food.

They had diarrhea over Christmas and were constantly being sick. I thought it was the wet food, that's why I tried everything I could, but I discovered it was the Royal Canin dry food so I changed it

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 23:23:05 PM »
I feed mine applaws, almo nature and purizon dry I get them from zooplus. The applaws wet and some of the almo are complimentary food so they have the dry to make sure they get everything they need.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 23:20:13 PM »
I think the foxes can have the remaining two pouches of that one :sick:, might not be so vile in the fresh air in the back garden. :sick: The cats did love it though.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 22:27:08 PM »
AFRAID I AM SIMPLE AND GO FOR ANYTHING THEY WILL EAT!

BUT THEY ARE NOT GETTING HI LIFE TUNA AND SQUID.................I DRAW THE LINE AT SQUID  :innocent: :innocent:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 16:41:09 PM »
Forgot they also have Go Cat Crunchy And Tender down all day in the kitchen and Iams upstairs in the bedroom. I am glad I made you laugh, you haven't been on the receiving end of those glares. :naughty: :rofl:

Offline happygolucky

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tom
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 16:38:07 PM »
Happy kitty company stock a range of good quality wet foods, as do zooplus. When I fed wet I fed most from HKC (Granatapet, Macs, Ropocat, Om Nom Nom) plus Grau, Catz finefoods and a few others from zooplus. A good wet void should be low in carbohydrates and free from grains, soy and sugar. I feed raw now. You can get pre-made raw if you're worried about making it yourself or supplements to add to plain meat to make it complete. Raw chicken wings are great for cleaning teeth and exercising jaw muscles.

Finefoods I've heard a lot of good things about. It's one of those foreign brands that a lot of owners rave about. I like the exotic flavours, not sure if Tom will he can be fussy, but may have to pick some up and give it a go.

I have to say that my five also prefer As Good As It Looks to any higher meat content foods, they look at me as if I am trying to poison them and try to cover the food up as if they are in a litter tray. :evillaugh:

Sorry, I forgot to say a  big Hello and welcome to you and Tom :welcome:

Haha that made me laugh :rofl:

Thanks for the welcome.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 15:40:00 PM »
I have to say that my five also prefer As Good As It Looks to any higher meat content foods, they look at me as if I am trying to poison them and try to cover the food up as if they are in a litter tray. :evillaugh:

Sorry, I forgot to say a  big Hello and welcome to you and Tom :welcome:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 15:41:10 PM by Judecat (Paula), Reason: Welcome »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »
Happy kitty company stock a range of good quality wet foods, as do zooplus. When I fed wet I fed most from HKC (Granatapet, Macs, Ropocat, Om Nom Nom) plus Grau, Catz finefoods and a few others from zooplus. A good wet void should be low in carbohydrates and free from grains, soy and sugar. I feed raw now. You can get pre-made raw if you're worried about making it yourself or supplements to add to plain meat to make it complete. Raw chicken wings are great for cleaning teeth and exercising jaw muscles.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:43:38 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:34:09 AM »
I think it's a great place to start.  My two youngest cats love the Thrive products, and one of them goes mad for the freeze dried treats (excellent for bribery purposes!)

I've never been brave enough to try a raw diet either for the cats, but I would also say, check the ingredients out on any foods you're looking to buy, to make sure you get as high a meat content as possible.  I'd be really interested to see how you get on.  Andrew, another of our members has experimented with wet food for his Hoolie boys, but I think his preferred Felix As Good As It Looks.   ;)

Tom will let you know for sure if he doesn't like anything you pick.   :shy:

Offline happygolucky

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:22:26 AM »
Hey Happygolucky, Hey Tom - welcome to Purrs!   :welcome: :welcome:

What a very good question to ask, and particularly pertinent. 

Have you seen the recent news about the recall of AVA cat food products in Pets at Home?  Insufficient thiamine in the food led to cats falling dangerously ill, and perfectly illustrates how easy it is even for pet food manufacturers to get the balance right.

And a difficult one to answer.  In essence, you're looking for a wet food with the highest meat content possible and as few artificial additives, especially grains and cereals.

Arguably any decent wet food is still better than dry, as it's closer to a cat's natural diet, but check out products such as James Wellbeloved, Applaws and Lily's Kitchen for starters.  Also Cosma.  Other members will be able to recommend alternatives to look at too, including a raw diet if you felt brave enough.   :)

Of course, the real sticking point with this kind of search is whether your cat will adapt to the food you pick out for them.  Cats are notoriously choosy when it comes to the food we slaves give them, and you can spend a small fortune on food which is "best" for them and they'll pin you to the ground with an icy stare for such impertinence as to meddle with their nosh.

How about Tom?  What does he eat now?  How old is he and how long has he been in your family?

Hi, thanks for the welcome and the detailed response. Tom is just 4 and we've had him since he was a kitten! Right now we're feeding him Purina ONE which I assumed was a really healthy meal choice until recently...

I don't think I'm brave enough to tackle the raw diet, I've actually heard of it before from friends who feed their dogs this way, but I would be worried about messing it up, I feel much more at ease buying food that I know has the right balance. I just want something that is quality.

I actually did a bit of research online and found this list of apparently the best wet food brands we can get in the UK:

http://www.elmridgecats.co.uk/best-wet-food/

Like you, it also recommends Lily's Kitchen. Would you say that's a good list I could look into? I also found a few threads on other forums on this topic, and I saw foreign brands get the highest recommendation. They are a little bit harder to get but if they're a lot better then I'd definitely try them. But most of those threads were years old so I can't be sure it's up to date info.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:23:22 AM by happygolucky »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
Hey Happygolucky, Hey Tom - welcome to Purrs!   :welcome: :welcome:

What a very good question to ask, and particularly pertinent. 

Have you seen the recent news about the recall of AVA cat food products in Pets at Home?  Insufficient thiamine in the food led to cats falling dangerously ill, and perfectly illustrates how easy it is even for pet food manufacturers to get the balance right.

And a difficult one to answer.  In essence, you're looking for a wet food with the highest meat content possible and as few artificial additives, especially grains and cereals.

Arguably any decent wet food is still better than dry, as it's closer to a cat's natural diet, but check out products such as James Wellbeloved, Applaws and Lily's Kitchen for starters.  Also Cosma.  Other members will be able to recommend alternatives to look at too, including a raw diet if you felt brave enough.   :)

Of course, the real sticking point with this kind of search is whether your cat will adapt to the food you pick out for them.  Cats are notoriously choosy when it comes to the food we slaves give them, and you can spend a small fortune on food which is "best" for them and they'll pin you to the ground with an icy stare for such impertinence as to meddle with their nosh.

How about Tom?  What does he eat now?  How old is he and how long has he been in your family?

Offline happygolucky

• Kitten
What's the best wet food?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:27:57 AM »
Hey, I'm looking to swap to a better food brand after recently learning how unhealthy supermarket products can be. What would you say is the best wet cat food product I can get in the UK?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:29:29 AM by happygolucky »

Link to CatChat