Author Topic: British blue or not!  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: British blue or not!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 23:40:31 PM »
Is he registered?  What's he registered as?  If he's not registered he's probably not a pedigree.   The chance of finding an unregistered chartreuse in this country is negligible.

There are lots of backyard breeders and kitten farms and it's a case of buyer beware when it comes buying a kitten. It's important to do research.  how did you find out about the breeder?  BSHs are, I believe, the most popular breed these days (or one of them) accounting for 1/3 of registered pedigree cats.  That, of course, means that they are one of the most popular breeds fir backyard breeders to concentrate on.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 23:55:10 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 22:44:28 PM »
I've just Googled and whether Cooper looks like a BSH or Chartreux, he'll be one handsome chap. Are you hoping to breed Emery?   Is that the issue?

:welcome: BTW  :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »
With the papers was it GCCF or TICA paperwork as both bodies are the governing fancies of the cat world = I have friends who are reputable breeders of British Blues so would be interested to see his picture

I have a lot of pedigree Bengals and an NFC, Ragdoll and 2 Mau's as well as my moggies and wonderful ferals and their pets my 3 Border Collies
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
Hello Emery.  Hello Cooper.  Welcome to Purrs.   :welcome:

How disappointing to feel the breeder has been less than honest.

It's possible there has been a genetic throwback along the line.  It can happen in any breed, dog, cat, rabbit etc, but normally a breeder will spot this and sell as a pet only.  Was the breeder TICA registered?   Did Cooper come with full papers?  If not, it's pretty hard to imagine you'll make much headway  challenging the pedigree.  There are a lot of backyard breeders out there trying to pass off mixed breeds as purebred, and often don't provide any papers, either for the parent or offspring.

If you bought from registered breeder, you could approach them with your concerns, and if necessary could raise a complaint with TICA if the breeder doesn't offer a satisfactory resolution.  Presumably Cooper is a much loved member of your family, so you'd need to work out what would be the outcome you'd prefer by way of compensation - e.g. pick of another litter, or a partial refund.

Anything, cat, car, carpet, when advertised and sold must be fit for purpose and as described, though I balk at saying that about any transaction involving a living thing, regardless. Sounds so heartless, doesn't it?

You could ultimately bring a claim against the breeder in the Small Claims Court to try your case.  You can do it online, and its a relatively straightforward process.

Do post pics if you can.  We'd love to meet Cooper, who sounds adorable whatever he is, or isn't, bless his paws.

Offline Emery1990

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Cooper
British blue or not!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
hello,

We brought our cat Cooper a few months ago, he was advertised as a British blue, as a kitten I thought he looks a bit like one but he may be growing etc. Now he's got older it's quite clear he is not a British blue. He looks nothing like my family cat, flat face , ears on side of the head etc. I don't think he is mixed with a non pedigree, but I do believe in the family line somewhere there is a chartreux. After looking at pictures of a chartreux I believe he looks a lot like one.

When we picked him up we got a chart of his family tree with award winning cats etc. When they showed us his Mum, I didn't think she even looked like a British blue.

What can I do ? As it's naughty that these breeders are selling their kittens as British blues but in my eyes they clearly aren't British blues. Only the colour is shared. Our Cooper has a slight snout on him, eyes that are alert.

I will try and get a picture up of him but ATM it's saying the picture is too big!

Link to CatChat