Author Topic: Upset tummy  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Upset tummy
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 22:01:36 PM »
 LIL DEVIL LOL

HOPE TNAT THE ABS HAVE WORKED SO NO MORE  :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 20:05:18 PM »
LOL he's doing ok Gill  :Luv2:

Still wriggly, but he actually seems to be getting a little bit better - although when it's just me doing it, he's somehow worked out that if he sticks his head down my top I can't get to his mouth!!  :rofl:

We have had two improved litter tray deposits though, so I'm keeping everything crossed this has sorted him out! Last day of medication tomorrow, so time will tell!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 15:58:05 PM »
 HOPE ALL HAS GONE WELL WITH THE RIGGLY ONE  :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »
LOL don't worry Sue, I was laughing trying to burrito him - he's such a wriggly worm! It used for work for Schmoo, but she was a lot smaller and not as muscly - Buddy is a leeetle bit different!

So far the cradling method has worked ok, a little messy on occasion but we get the job done  :naughty: This afternoon will be interesting though as I will have to attempt it solo again!  :shocked:

He's being so good though, apart from the wiggling he's not really putting up a fight, or holding too much of a grudge bless him!  :Luv2:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
Oh gawd, Helen.  Sorry he's playing up so much.  The cat burrito always sounds so easy in theory, but not surprised it failed in reality.

I shouldn't laugh, but I hope this gets easier for you.

Paula - DH= Dear Husband  ;)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 01:07:18 AM »
CATS!!  NOTHING BUT TROUBLE  :rofl: :rofl:

WHY DO WE HAVE THE FURRY BEASTS?

ITS EASY REALLY WE LOVE AND ADORE THEM  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Ain't that the truth!

Sorry Helen, DH? I get OH, but you are taxing my tiny brain with that one. :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
 CATS!!  NOTHING BUT TROUBLE  :rofl: :rofl:

WHY DO WE HAVE THE FURRY BEASTS?

ITS EASY REALLY WE LOVE AND ADORE THEM  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 23:56:08 PM »
Gah! Well his Highness put a spanner in the works this evening, just noticed he's come back from his afternoon trip outside with a cut or something on his neck, um around where you would imagine his clavicle is?! Of course that's right where I hold him while doing his medication, so this evenings attempt was another palaver!

DH had to assist in the end, and cradled him like a baby while I administered! I just couldn't hold him securely enough as I didn't want to press on the cut! DH is going to help again tomorrow, and hopefully by Monday the cut will have healed enough that I can do it on my own again. And I now have to keep an eye on a wound as well!

Needless to say, he is not best pleased with me at the moment, and I'm not too amused either!  :-[

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2017, 16:12:12 PM »
 I BELIEVE THE WAY YOU ARE DOING IT IS THE BEST WAY AND YOU ARE RIGHT 2 ML IS QUITE A LOT OF LIQUID TO GIVE AT ONCE AND I WAS QUITE HORIFIED WHEN I SAW THAT FROM MIAS HYPER T MEDS.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF THE TIME  :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2017, 16:03:25 PM »
Two doses in and I've only got one scratch up my arm so far!

He's not enjoying it at all - the cat burrito method failed as he wouldn't lie down for me to get his front feet secured before being able to wrap him up, so we are resorting to tucking him betweeen my legs so he's facing away from me (reversing into my lap), then popping the syringe in the side of his mouth. He hates the medication, so I've been making up a second syringe with tuna water in, so he gets a bit of that first, then I switch between the two so he never knows what he's getting! 2ml is just a bit too much to get in in one go bless him, and so far about three portions is working.

First time (after the failed burrito) was actually fairly easy, but second time he knew what was coming and was considerably less cooperative and much squirmier - hence the first war wound! DH offered to help, but the problem is we have to do this for five days, and he will be at work for the last three so I'll have to do the, solo anyway!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 17:56:19 PM »
 YES THAT MAKES SENSE ABOUT BEING SPECIFIC.........IN THE INFO WITH IT DOES IT MENTION A FLAVOURING?

THAT MAY HELP TO FIND SOMETHING TO PUT IT IN.

I CANT SMELL THAT WELL BUT I DONT THINK MISAS HYPER T MEDS SMELT BUT THEY HAD A HONEY FLAVOURING IN. HE LOVED IT SO COULD BE THE SMELL THAT IS THE PUT OFF..............NEED SOMETHING STRONG SMELLING LIKE PILCHRDS IN TOMATO SAUCE MAYBE. IF THAT WAS EATEN.................5 TIMES ADAY SHOULD GO DOWN QUITE QUICK!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 17:50:02 PM »
Hmmm, well I think we are going to struggle - am going to start the doses tomorrow, but I put a tiny bit in his wet food tonight just to see how he was with it taste wise, and we are not amused :/ It smells oddly sweet though, so I'm not surprised - that with chicken must taste yuk! I might see if catmilk will work better, like a milkshake lol?!

Apparently it's because it's for campylobacter, it's a more specific one that they use. Plus she said liquid would be easier for a wriggler, as its harder for them to spit out than a pill! I guess I'll find out about that in the morning!  :shocked:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 17:43:49 PM »
i do hope so  :hug: :hug:

think thats an u usual one, but maybe its because they went for a liquid

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 16:38:05 PM »
LOL flipping finicky cats eh?

Got the ABs, it's a suspension of erythromycin? Have to give it to him every 8 hours for five days - just hoping it's either a nice flavour or got none at all!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 16:23:23 PM »
THATS HOW MINE REACTED TO THAT AND NOW HAVE 30 BOXES OF IT GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 13:55:43 PM »
Fingers crossed he'll eat it - might get some of those soup food packets and see if I can mix it with a bit of that.

I did get some lik-e-lix yesterday to see if that might work as a disguse method, but he was not reemotely interested in that, and looked at me like I'd put something truly disgusting in his bowl!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 17:36:51 PM »
MANY OF LIQUIDS COME WITH A FLAVOUR THAT CATS LIKE SO YOU MIX IT WITH SOME JELLY OR GRAVY FROM A FOOD SO YOU KNOW THEY HAVE HAD IT ALL AND THEN GIVE THEM THE RST OF THE FOOD.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 17:26:30 PM »
Starting tomorrow Sue, had an appointment today but the antibiotics we need hadn't arrived yet so getting them tomorrow - turns out as well that it's going to be a liquid not pills - not sure if that's going to be better or worse LOL!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »
How's the pilling going, Helen?   Gentle ear-rubs for Buddie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 17:54:45 PM »
A DODGY TAKEAWAY  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOVE THAT

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 17:53:28 PM »
Thanks, me too!

I've no idea Gill, I will ask tomorrow, but I suspect maybe he ate something outside that triggered it maybe?

He's otherwise fit and healthy so that's all I can think of, he's had a dodgy takeaway LOL!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 17:38:47 PM »
HOPE IT CLEARS AS QUICK AS IT CAME  :hug: :hug:

IF THESE THINGS ARE THRE ALL THE TIME THERE MUST BE A TRIGGER THAT SUDDENLY CAUSE THEM TO BE A PROBLEM, I WONDER WHAT.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 16:43:33 PM »
I hope that is it and it clears without invasive tests Helen. Chances are it will. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 16:41:16 PM »
Aw poor little loves, glad they got better!

Hmm well that is confusing, it looks to me like they are similar, but I think the Helio one is more stomach than intestine related? No idea LOL! I'll double check with the vets tomorrow if there is a difference :)

Be good if it did clear it up though, otherwise it's on to blood tests and things to work it out!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 16:17:13 PM »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 16:13:05 PM »
Scrub that ............ didn't have my reading eyes in  :innocent: :-[ :-[ :-[  Am now wondering if I did the same with manager at our office and assumed she meany HPylori too  :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 16:10:55 PM »
I didn't realise that cats can naturally have this in their systems anyway,

Nor did I.  The manager at our office brought three persian kittens  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: into her home before Christmas one of who had pretty bad tummy trubble and all three tested positive for HPylori but it cleared after ABs so very much hope that happens with Buddy too. 

I just googled and seems 40% of hoomans in UK live with it in their gut too.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 15:46:58 PM »
Just a little update, having been to the vets and had some 'sample' tests done the only thing that's come up so far is he's tested positive for campylobacter, so we are popping him on antibiotics and hoping that's it.

I didn't realise that cats can naturally have this in their systems anyway, but we will see how he gets on. In himself he's still acting totally normally bless him, it's just the littler tray evidence that proves otherwise.

He's currently still eating his normal biscuit (vets said no point in stressing him out with changing that until we ruled out other stuff) and having half a tin of Encore chicken Morning and evening as he was also given some prebiotic paste to try and help firm things up a little, so we have been mixing it in with that, which has been going down well!

Not sure how we will get on with antibiotics though - he's a big strong cat (5.3kg at last check) and I'm betting pilling is not going to be easy.....!  :shocked:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »
Unfortunately not, she was eating 8 pouches of food a day and still losing weight, she was a Main Coone that I got from the breed rescue site and TBH I think that is why she was put up for rehoming. She was an ex breeding queen so I don't know whether the stress of that brought it on? It was a bit odd as the breeder wouldn't sign her over to me although she was neutered and she still retained the rights over the cat. Personally I would take your cat, along with a stool sample to the vet asap. That is just me though as I had a bad experience. It may be as simple, and probably is, as a food intolerance. Wishing you and Buddie all the best.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 23:29:34 PM »
Ooh dear Paula that doesn't sound good! Was that a one time thing?

Thanks Rosella, I had seen something similar but not so much detail. He's not constipated as things are definitely looser, with normal behaviour and no weight change, so I think that's why they thought colitis as in inflammation. He's up to date with advocate and drontal tablets so hopefully not parasites!  :sick:

Might try switching to another meat source for his food to see if that helps instead of chicken, and we will pop to the vets next week for a check up.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 22:42:28 PM »
Sorry, no food to try, my Cassiecat had bloody mucus poos and it ended up being a form of ulcerative colitis and required steroid injections into her tummy. She had boiled fish, chicken and rice diets etc. The steroids did help though.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 19:32:58 PM »
Ha I know all too well that cats rarely will eat what's actually good for them after our gorgeous Schmoo, bless her LOL :)

Our vets were more than happy for me to bring him in, but as he actually seems perfectly normal in himself - playing, eating and drinking as normal etc, I felt it was worth trying a food change before going to the vets.

I now think I will probably get him booked in for a checkover this week, but was just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with this from the food point of view so we could maybe try out some alternatives.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 19:22:43 PM »
HMMMMMMMMMMM I AM NOT SURE TBH BUT MY VET WOULD HAVE WANTED TO SEE THE CAT, NOT TAKE HIM IN AND SUSPECT ABS INJECTION.

A 2 WEEK ONE IF POSSIBLE TO SAVE HAVING TO TRY MEDICATING..............WELL I CANT ANYWAY!

SOME CATS JUST WONT EAT A FOOD JUST BECAUSE ITS GOOD FOR THEM AND LUPIN FOR EXAMPLE WILLNOT TOUCH REAL CHICKEN AFTER HAVING SO MUCH AFTER BEING ILL FOR AGES WHEN A KITTEN.

HOPE BUDDY GETS WELL SOON BUT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR VET NEEDS TO BE MORE PROACTIVE

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Upset tummy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 18:09:20 PM »
Hi All

(Disclaimer - litter tray talk to follow!)

Just after some opinions please! Just over a week ago we noticed Buddies poops were quite soft, and there was some mucusy red blood at the end. This happened on and off over a few days (hard to track as he goes out twice a day and doesn't always 'go' in his tray.

I called the vets and they w could take him in, or said it might be colitis and to try him on chicken for a few days and see what happened. Unfortunately he loves dry food (loves his current Applaws Chicken biscuit) and he doesn't like wet/meaty food and really wasnt interested. We finally got him eating Encore tinned chicken, which is a complimentary food I know, so we ended up still giving him some biscuit but half his daily amount, and then he would have a tin of the chicken food.

Again it's been hard to track "outcomes". One or two seemed almost normal, but today's was loose and bloody again.

Has anyone else gone through this? Is it worth switching him entirely to the encore for a few days even though it's only complimentary?

Any alternate biscuit recommendations would also be great. We have tried him on canagan and also Aatu (I try to get high meat content and little/no grain filler food) and he really wasn't fussed......

Thanks in advance!

Mel and Bud x

Link to CatChat