Author Topic: MISA VERY ILL WITH HYPER T..NEED SOME HELP PLEASE  (Read 30070 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: MISA VERY ILL WITH HYPER T..NEED SOME HELP PLEASE
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2016, 19:59:15 PM »
WE WERE 15 MINS LATE FOR LAST APPT COS HE HID AND I COULDNT GET TO HIM GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.O
APPARENTLY THE BLOOD WAS TAKEN WITH NO PRIBLEM BUT HE WAS TAKEN TO BACK SO WASNT THERE.

I GET THE RUSULTS ON MONDAY BUT GARETH THOUGHT HE HAD PUT ON A BIT OF WEIGHT BUT NO.

HE IS A FEATHER WEIGHT COMPARED TO HOW HE WAS, 4,4 KGS FROM OVER 7 KGS  :( :(

GARETH THINKS THE MEDS ARE WORKING LIKE ME BUT ONLY THE TEST WILL TELL.

HE IS BLOOMING HIDING AGAIN AND NOT HUNGRY AT ALL.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2016, 19:15:34 PM »
How did Misa get on at the vet's today? Hope all went well.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »
Good luck for today Gill - hope the car comes at a reasonable time  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2016, 00:04:13 AM »
JUST WROTE A VERY LONG REPLY BUT ITS GONE!

CANT TRY AGAIN TONIGHT AND AM AT AV TOMORROW CAR COULD BE HERE AT 0830..............THEY USED TO COME AT SENSIBLE TIMES!

SO ITS MISAS MEDS TIME SOON AND THEN A SLEEPLESS NIGHT IN BED i GUESS!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2016, 23:15:50 PM »
Would your brother not come to you, seems a shame to make the journey even longer?

We should set up a Purrs Go Fund Me - I am sure we could raise enough for you to get a cab to your brother's and back? Take a lot of the stress off you travelling alone? :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2016, 22:17:35 PM »
AN ARM AND A LEG!

HE IS ABOUT 1 1/2 HRS FROM ME AND THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION TO BRISTOL.

NOBODY FROM PURRS IS ANTWHERE CLOSE SADLY.

ITS COSTS 50£ FOR A THERE AND BACK TRIP  JUST TO SWANSEA A FEW YEARS BACK AND ONLY ABOUT 15 MILES AWAY!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2016, 21:01:09 PM »
that 's a shame. Are there no Purrs readers not too far away who could help out? Shame I am in London :(.  how much would a taxi be to your brothers?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2016, 19:05:41 PM »
dONT KNOW ANYONE HERE EXCEPT NASTY NEIGHBOUR..THE ONLY PERSON THAT PROBABLY WOULD HELP IS SADLY TOO OLD.

NOW TURNS OUT THAT MY SIS WILL PROBABLY BE LIVING AT BROS BY THEN UNLESS SHE HAS FOUND A NEW HOUSE SO SHE MAYBE INVOLVED TOO.....................SHE IS ALLERGIC TO CATS THO ALTHO WHEN SHE WAS LAST HERE SHE HAD NO PROBLEM!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2016, 18:53:53 PM »
Years ago I took one of my cats to Cambridge Vet Hospital from London which was too far to drive for me, so I got a train from King's Cross to Cambridge and my friend who lived there came and picked me up from the station.  It was much quicker by train, than driving, and Bill my cat was a good traveller anyway.  The chap on the opposite aisle kept sneezing, and I thought he had a cold, only when I told my friend that evening she said he was probably allergic to cats :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: That's nice of your brother to help you out, when I asked my brother he refused! :censored: Don't you have any friends nearby who could go on the first part of the journey with you, or drive you/your car if you gave them some petrol money??

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2016, 03:15:24 AM »
THANKS SUSANNE

HE SHOUTS ALL THE WAY TO THE VETS NORMALLY AND IS HYPERVENTALATING AND SCRATCHING THE BOTTOM OF THE CAGE TO GET OUT...........ABOUT AN HOUR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AND UNLESS HE IS A LOT BETTER THAN NOW HIS HUNGER IS GOING TO MAKE HIM SHOUT NON-STOP COS HE HAS TO BE  STARVED FROM MIDNIGHT AND HIS MEDS WILL HAVE STOPPED MAYBE 2 WEEKS BEFORE SO T4 LEVELS WILL BE GOING UP AGAIN.

ONCE MY BRO PICKS US UP THAT MAY HELP COS WILL BE ABLE TO GET HIM OUT OF THE MAIN CARRIER AND HAVE HIM IN HALF OF ANOTHER ON MY KNEE AND ABLE TO STROKE HIM.  HOW EVER THAT IS LIKELY TO BE ABOUT 2 HOURS JOURNEY AWAY.

I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS AT ALL, APART FROM THE STRESS FROM TAKING HIM AND LEAVING HIM BEHIND.

I AM HOPING THAT HE MAY HAVE PUT ON A BIT OF WEIGHT COS THAT MAY HELP.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2016, 00:27:46 AM »
I'm glad you've got a date.

You may find he copes better with a longer journey than you think. One Christmas I had to take Jaffa to Newcastle for Christmas which is a journey of about 3 hours. I was dreading it because he got quite stressed in the car and invariably did a poo on the journey to the cattery (45 minutes). However he seemed to relax and settle down a bit and didn't even poo or anything on the way back.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2016, 23:29:28 PM »
Silvie was treated at Barton Veterinary Hospital in Canterbury Kent.  Her bill was also around £2300, the rest was all the blood tests, meds, xrays she had from first being diagnosed. Insurance only covered her for thyroid for £3k, I think in the end I paid around £150 as it went over. I am sure once he is in the car and on the way, he will settle down. Silvie yowled a bit at first, I think she was worried as in her wire carrier she could see lorries etc going past, so i managed to throw a coat over it to block it, and she just settled down, with the occasional glare at me. Some people give their cat a sedation pill if they are going on long journeys, would it be worth asking your vet about that if you are worried?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2016, 21:05:31 PM »
Sylvie SOUNDS SO LIKE MISA COS HE DOES ALL THOSE THINGS AND YES THANK GOODNESS FOR INSURANCE, ITS VERY EXPENSIVE FOR HIM BUT AFTER NAPOLEON WOUD NEVER LEAVE ANY OF MINE UNUNSURED NOW.

WHERE WAS SYLVIE TREATED?

THE ONE PERSON I HAVE SPOKEN TO SO FAR WAS SO NICE AND I THINK THE JOURNEY WILL BE THE WORSE PART COS IT WILL BE ABOUT 3 HRS AND OF COURSE LEAVING HIM.

IT WOULD BE GREAT IF HIS MEDS WERE WORKING ALTHOUGH APPARENTLY ITS TOO SOON FOR THEM TO HAVE FULL EFFECT AND HE IS ON HALF THE RECOMMENDED DOSE AS RECOMMENDED BY THE HYPER T GROUP AND ALSO NICOLA ON PURRS. IF IT IS WORKING THEN THE PRESCRIBED DOSE WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH TOO HIGH FOR HIM!

THE BILL WILL BE £2300 PLUS COS OF HIM BEING BOARDED THERE IF THEY ARE WILLING TO TREAT HIM.

I WOULD LOVE TO STOP THE MEDS COS MY LIFE DOESNT FIT NICELY INTO 2 X 12 HOUR SECTIONS AND MY OWN MEDS AND FOOD ARE SUFFERING COS MISA COMES FIRST AND IF HE DOESNT HE SHOUTS AT ME!

ALSO WHEN I NEED MEDICAL TREATMENT LIKE ON MONDAY I AM DEPENDENTBON HOSPITAL TRANSPORT SO DONT KNOW WHEN I WILL LEAVE OR RETURN.............WILL LEAVE BEFORE HIS MEDS ARE DUE AND HOPE TO BE BACK ABOUT THE TIME FOR THE NEXT DOSE!

TROUBLE IS I CANT SNEAK OUT COS THE DOOR BELL WILL WAKE HIM UP.

THE ARRANGEMENTS FOR GETTING HIM THERE WILL NOT BE SORTED UNTIL NEARER THE TIME BUT HAVE TOLD MY BRO THE DATES AND TIME HE NEEDS TO BE THERE, SO WILL NOT BE THINKING ABOUT THAT RIGHT NOW.

i AM A BIT WORRIED HOW MISA WILL REACT IN THE NEW CARRIER COS HE HAS ALWAYS TRAVELLED IN A WIRE ONE AND THE NEW ONE IS ENCLOSED WITH JUST THE DOOR AND VENTS ON THE SIDES TO LOOK THRO.

I COULD TOTALLY COVER THE OLD ONE OR PARTIALLY DEPENDING HOW MISA ACTED AND ITS GOING TO BE QUITE HARD GETTING HIM THRO THE DOOR....................NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT HOW I WILL GET SASA IN FOR THE VETS! LUPIN IS SO NOSEY HE WILL PROBABLY JUST WALK IN WHEN GIVEN A CHANCE!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2016, 23:58:00 PM »
ah he is only a few years old than Sllvie then. It was funny, I was dreading her going away but on the day I took her, apart from being worried about the car journey (hour and a half) I felt okay as I knew she was going to be cured and no more pills! the staff there were so nice, they understand what it is like for people to leave their pets, and really put me at ease and my friend who drove me there, she said how nice they were. Silvie is really nervous,every time the doorbell goes, phone rings or people come in the room she shoots out the catflap :doh: but she settled in at the vets after a few days. If she hadn't been insured though, I wouldn't have been able to afford it as total bill came to around £3k but seeing how well she is afterwards I would def recommend it. She put on all the weight she lost and now has a normal appetite. It sounds like Misa's meds may well be working now 8) 8)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2016, 21:59:34 PM »
Misa is 15 and they will two days of tests on Misa to assess him and also have a long discussion with gareth my vet.

The tests will take longer for Misa because he is so scared of people and they want to ensure he is ok. I feel quite apprhensive but the person who rang me was so nice and caring and said they want all owners to feel smilie  ;D

I have told her that he was an abused cat that i took on as a rescue at 4 yrs old after g=he was taken to be PTS albeit healthy. Also told her about the pin in his back leg and his arthritus and that he will no longer take his metacam.

Gareth has rung and two blood tests are arranged before Misa will go to Langton the second on 23 Dec!

I also asked him ABOUT mISA SEEMINGLY FEELING THE COLD OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS ALTHOUGH ITS NOT AS COLD AS IT WAS WHEN HE WAS LYING ON THE PATH OUTSIDE EARLIER IN THE WEEK.

i HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT FEELING HOT IS A SYMPTOM OF HYPER T AND HE SAID THAT IT COULD BE THAT AS HE HAS LOST SO MUCH WEIGHT HE FEELS THE COLD MORE BUT AS ITS ONLY JUST STARTED IT MAYBE THAT THE MEDS ARE STARTING TO WORK................HERES HOPING  :)

APPARENTLY THEY ARE FULLY OPERATIONAL BY 3 WEEKS BUT DUE TO GARETH BEING AWAY THE FIRST TEST WILL BE IN 4 WEEKS, THEN 3 WEEKS LATER.

YES I AM SURE THE TIME WILL GO QUICKLY COS ITS FLYING BY AT PRESENT.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2016, 20:29:03 PM »
That's good you have a date now, it seems a long way off but will soon go. When Silvie went in for her RIJ they like them to be in the best of health, so she had blood tests and chest x-rays at my own vet 2 weeks before she went there, as once they have the injection they are radioactive and cannot be moved, and treatment is very limited as well due to radiation levels.  So they will make sure Misa is in good health, if any doubt they probably would not do it. But hopefully if the meds he is on now work well he will be able to go ahead. When I spoke to the vet who did Silvie, he said there was no age limit, they had in fact treated a cat of 20 years old and it worked and as long as cats were in good health they were happy to proceed. How old is Misa?  :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2016, 16:59:20 PM »
NO EVERYTHING WILL BE DONE ON ONE TRIP AS HE WILL STAY THERE AND I WILL PAY THE BOARDING FOR THE FEW EXTRA DAYS IF HE IS TREATED.

YES RIGHT NOW HE IS TAKING HIS MEDS BUT HE ISNT EATING ANY MORE OF THE SPECIAL FOOD HE LIKED EXCEPT THE GRAVY BIT WITH THE MEDS IN!

DONT KNOW IF ITS THE MEDS HONEY FLAVOURED HE LIKES OR THE GRAVY!

HE IS EATING QUITE A LOT OF CHICKEN AND THE JELLY FROM FELIX AS USUAL!

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2016, 15:53:35 PM »
Maybe they weren't able to do it all on one trip?  Hope he can be treated - there is plenty of time between now and then to do any preparations.  Is he taking his meds okay?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2016, 15:37:29 PM »
LANGTON, BRISTOL HAVE JUST RUNG ME AND MISA HAS DATES FOR ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT IF HE IS SUITABLE.

HE WILL GO THERE ON TUE 17 JAN FOR ASSESSMENT WHICH WILL TAKE 2 DAYS AND IF SUITABLE WILL BE TREATED ON 26 JAN.

IF NOT THEY MAY RECOMMEND SURGERY WHICH THEY WILL ALSO DO.

THE CRITERIA IS WHETHER THEY CONSIDER HE WILL HAVE A GOOD  AND DECENT LENGTH OF LIFE AFTER TREATMENT AND ISNT LIKELY TO GET ILL AND NEED TREATMENT IN THE MAIN WARD AFTER TREATMENT COS HE WONT BE ABLE TO BE MOVED.

THEY WERE WILLING TO ASSESS IN DEC AND TREAT IN JAN BUT FOR SOMEREASON IGNORED GARETHS REQUEST FOR HIM TO ONLY NEED TO DO ONE VISIT DUE TO THE DISTANCE AND STRESS ON HIM.

HE WILL HAVE TO BE STARVED FROM MIDNIGHT BEFORE HE TRAVELS SO ITS GOING TO BE A VERY NOISY TRIP COS HE SHOUTS FOR FOOD ALTHOUGH CAN ONLY HOPE IF HIS T4 LEVELS ARE DOWN THAT MAY NOT BE SO BAD............SIGH.

I WASNT READY FOR A CALL SO SOON AND MY HEAD ALL OVER THE PLACE NOW.

THE LADY WHO RANG WAS WONDERFUL AND SAYS THE CATS HAVE THEIR OWN FACILITY AND THE NURSES ONLY LOOK AFTER CATS SO DONT SMELL OF DOGS OR ANY OTHER ANIMAL.

SHE IS SENDING ME A WELCOME PACK AND HAS GIVEN ME A NUMBER TO RING IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

THEIR VET WILL ALSO HAVE A LONG DISCUSSION WITH GARETH BEFORE MISA GOES.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2016, 00:16:27 AM »
THANK YOU SUE AND NICOLA  :hug: :hug:

ITS JUST A REAL STRAIN ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER THINGS THAT ARE GOING ON TOO.

I WILL ARRANGE APPT FOR A BLOOD TEST ON MONDAY FOR THE FOLLOWING WEEK AND I SO HOPE THE LEVELS ARE COMING DOWN.

GARETH COULDNT GET BLOOD FROM MISAS NECK SO HAD TO GO BACK TO THE FRONT LEG LIKE THE OLD FASHIONED WAY BUT JUST A NURSE HOLDING HIM DIDNT WORK , I HAD TO CONE ROUND TO THE FRONT OF HIM TOO.

THANKS FOR THE INFO ABOUT THE PILLS NICOLA COS GARETH JUST SHOWED ME THE 2.5 ONES!

I HOPE THE LIQUID CONTINUES TO BE LOVED AND HE IS STARTING TO MITHER FOR HIS GRAVY AND MEDS NOW........I STILL TRYING TO GET READY TO EAT!

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
MISA VERY ILL WITH HYPER T..NEED SOME HELP PLEASE
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2016, 19:25:49 PM »
Urea is BUN Gill, as Sue said, it stands for Blood Urea Nitrogen. Those kidney results do look promising. 

Really glad to hear the changes you're seeing in him already, those are all good signs! I'm sure the next blood test will give you some reassurance when you see that T4 coming down. The frequent blood tests are no fun for either of you I know, but once things stabilise you can reduce them. But at 1st it means you know if it's working.

The pills come in different doses, they go as small as 0.75mg - although my vet only found that out from my obsessive googling! So you can just up dosage by changing or adding pills.

Bailey ended up on 6 tablets a day in the end though, which was a nightmare, so if the liquid works that's much better than lots of pills.

You're doing everything right. I know how hard it is, it's exhausting & such a worry, but you've been brilliant with everything you've done so far.

Both my boys were much higher than that when they were diagnosed and they both did really well on meds for years so Misa will be too, I'm sure of it xxx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2016, 17:34:00 PM »
BUN Is blood urea nitrogen level, Gill.  It's measured in conjunction with creatinine

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2016, 15:24:31 PM »
THANKS SO MUCH NICOLA.

i WILL ARRANGE A BLOOD TEST FOR MISA FOR 2 WEEKS..GARETH WILL BE SHOCKED LOL.

YES MISA IS ALSO LONG HAIRED AND HIS COAT HAS BEEN TERRIBLE ALTHOUGH LYING IN THE RAIN  DIDNT HELP.

IT IS NICE AND SOFT AGAIN NOW AND HOPING IT WILL GROW QUICKER WHERE ITS BEEN CUT.
MISA IS ON A NEW LIQUID THAT SUSANNE TOLD ME ABOUT ITS CALLED THYRONORM   

http://www.norbrook.com/products/thyronorm-5-mg-ml-oral-solution-for-cats

THE INGREDIENT IS FELIMAZOLE UNDER A DDIFFERENT NAME!

ON 19 OCT HIS T4 WAS 165.8
CREATININE WAS 94.0
UREA WAS 11.5

SORRY DONT KNOW WHAT BUN IS............DOES IT SHOW UP UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME?

IT SAYS UREA IS HIGH BUT GARETH AND HYPER T DONT THINK THIS IS AN INDICATION OF KIDNEY PROBS.

IT S TAKEN TOO LONG FOR THE MEDS TO ARRIVE BUT HE HAS BEEN HAVING IT SINCE WED 2 NOV AND HE HAS ALREADY CHANGED A LOT IN THAT THE CONSTANT SHOUTING HAS STOPPED AND HE IS NOW SLEEPING PROPERLY RATHER THAN SORTA DOZING AND SHOUTING.

I LEAVE FOOD DOWN ALL THE TIME BUT HE WONT EAT BISCUITS ANY MORE BUT HAS HAD FELIX. MOSTLY JELLY GRRR, A SATCHET OF MONS PETIT, START WITH GRAVY FROM IT WITH MEDS IN THEN THE REST AND JUST HAD CHICKEN AND NOW ASLEEP.

HOW DID YOU GRADUALLY UP THE DOSEAGE AS YOURS WERE ON PILLS? OBVIOUSLY WITH LIQUID ITS EASIER TO DO IF NEEDED BUT SUSPECT THAT THE DOSEAGE IS ABOUT RIGHT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT HIS COMPLETE CHANGE OF BEHAVIOR AND HOW HIS FUR IS IN SUCH A SHORT TIME.

DO HOPE I AM RIGHT.

FINDING IT ALL VERY DRAINING RIGHT NOW.

YES WHAT YOU SAY MAKES TOTAL SENSE AND AM SO GRATEFUL  :hug: :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
MISA VERY ILL WITH HYPER T..NEED SOME HELP PLEASE
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2016, 13:59:51 PM »
I would 100% do bloods fortnightly at this stage Gill.

His T4 should start to drop right away and 2 weeks is more than enough time to tell if his current dose is working.

His blood results will tell you everything you need to know but you should start to see improvements in him too.

The first thing I always noticed with Bailey was his coat improving. He was long haired and when his T4 was high it went dull, spikey and matted. That changed really quickly when it started to come down.

Jake started on the same dose Misa is on but it didn't come down enough so we upped it gradually after 2 weeks, then again after another 2 weeks I think. He was then stable for a long while on 2 x 2.5mg.

Bailey was more complicated. He started on a high dose, got very fat & lethargic and we had to lower it again. But he got resistant to the drug and we were constantly increasing it.

I have a chart on my work pc that has all their results and dosages. I'll have a look on Monday and give you more info.

Is it a liquid form Misa is on?

My 2 had the coated pills. They shouldn't be crushed which was hellish as Jake hated pills!!

However, I found good girl catnip drops on Amazon which are tiny, soft treats so they mold round pills. Might be worth a try.

The most important thing is getting the drugs in him. Even a single missed dose can bring his T4 up again, so you need to get all of the meds in him regularly.

Don't be hard on yourself about not knowing. The first vet I saw with Bailey told me it was his teeth!!! She wanted to do a dental!!

It was only through finding my current vet and my own research that we found out it was thyroid.

Misa will gain weight back quickly once he stabilises, I promise. Try not to worry about the weight loss too much. I was continually amazed by how well the felimazole worked and how quickly they improved.

Just keep feeding him as much as he wants.

Do you have his blood results? What is his T4 just now? And his Creatinine and BUN?

If his CRE & BUN are completely normal just now, it's likely his kidneys are fine. But they can go up a bit when the T4 comes down. But, if his are in the low normal range any change would be small enough not to be concerning.

January isn't too far away so hopefully by then you'll have him nice and stable before he gets his tests for the RI treatment. I'd have worried sick over my boys being in isolation too. But it's not as long as it used to be at least.

But, having gone through years of Baileys tumour just getting bigger and the drugs working less and less...I wouldn't hesitate. That treatment is a cure. The drugs will only ever buy time.

Hope that makes sense!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2016, 14:54:25 PM »
NICOLA  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THIS INFO WHICH IS SO HELPFUL AND OBVIOUSLYBHAVING 2 WITH HYPER T HAS GIVEN YOU LOTS OF ACTIVE KNOWLEDGE.

MISA WAS DRIVING ME UP THE WALL WITH HIS SHOUTING AND AFTER ONE DOSE OF THE MEDS THIS STOPPED.

HE NOW LETS ME KNOW HE WANTS STROKING OR FOOD BROUGHT TO HIM! BUT HE IS ALREADY SO MUCH QUIETER.

HE STILL GOES AND LIES ON COLD KITCHEN FLOOR BY BACK DOOR BUT IT IS VERY HOT IN HERE COS OF MY CIRCULATION PROBS AND FEELING/GETTING VERY COLD.

I HOPE WE HAVE NOT FOUND THIS TOO LATE BUT I HAVE HIS BLOOD TEST RESULTS AND BOTH GARETH AND THE HYPER T GROUP DO NOT THINK HE HAS KIDNEY PROBS.................I SO HOPE SO.

WE WERE GOING TO GO FOR A BLOOD TEST IN 3 WEEKS BUT DO YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE 2?

LANGTON SAID THEY WOULD TAKE HIM IN JANUARY AND WE HAVE LOST A WEEK JUST GETTING THIS MED.

HE IS ON THE SAME DRUG AS YOUR BOYS JUST WITH ANOTHER NAME AND CURRENT DOSE IS 1.25 TWICE A DAY.

I HAVE BEEN SHOWN THE MINI TABS BY GARETH BUT THEY ARE 2.5 AND LOOK SUGAR COATED BUT WOULD HAVE TO BE CRUSHED IF FORCED TO CHANGE TO THAT ROUTE AND THEN THERE WOULD BE NOTHING TO MASK THE BITTERNESS.

THIS NEW MED HAS A HONEY FLAVOUR AND AS LONG AS I CAN GET ENOUGH GRAVY FROM THE MONS PETIT FOOD HE LAPS IT UP INSTANTLY.................PLEASE KEEP ON MISA.

WHAT WAS THE LOWEST DOSAGE THAT YOUR BOYS WERE ON NICOLA?

AS LONG AS NO UNDERLYING KIDNEY PROBS LANGFORD WILL BOMBARD HIM WITH TESTS AND THE IDEA HE WILL GO ONCE AND THEN STAY UNTIL THE IODINE COMES IN............ABOUT 5 DAYS AS WE ARE A VERY LONG WAY AWAY.

SO ONCE WE GET TO THAT STAGE MY WORRY IS HOW MISA WILL DO IN ISOLATION AND HOW LONG BEFORE HE CAN COME HOME BECAUSE OF THE OTHER 2 CATS.

THIS IS ALL SUCJ A WORRY AND KEEPING ME AWAKE AT NIGHT RIGHT NOW.

MISA HAD HIS MEDS ABOUT 30 MINS AGO GUESS AND HE HAS SHOUTED FOR STRIKES AND IS NOW DOZING, HE DOES SEEM TO BE SLEEPING AND DOZING MORE BUT SUSPECT HE IS ALSO VERY TIRED COS DURING THE DAY HE WOULD NOT SLEEP AT ALL AND WAS SHOUTING NEARLY NON-STOP.

I SO WISH I HAD REALIZED IN THE SUMMER THAT THESE WERE SYMPTOMS OF HYPER T AND NOT JUST WEIGHT LOSS.............HE HAS NOW LOST OVER 2 KGS AND NOTICED THAT AFTER HIS JELLY BELLY HAD GONE WEIGHT WAS STILL DROPPING OFF AND HE WAS BY THEN EATING MORE AND NMORE.

OFTEN HE DIDNT SEEM TO EAT THAT MUCH AND ALWAYS WONDERED HOW HE KEPT HIS JELLY BELLY!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE EASY TO READ AND UNDERSTAND INFO.

HOPE YOU SEE THIS AND CAN ANSWER MY ODD QUESTIONS ABOUT BLOOD TESTS AND DOSEAGE.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
Oh Gill,

I’m so sorry to hear this about Misa. As you know, I had two HyperT boys, both Jake and Bailey had it and it was managed with felimazole. I’m really glad to hear about this new way of giving the medication and that Misa is taking it!

I went through hell trying to get pills into my Jake and the transdermal gel just wasn’t effective.

I looked into RI treatment too, I really wanted to go down that route. However, with Jake it wasn’t an option, because when we finally got him stabilised after about 6 weeks, his creatine went through the roof because his kidneys were really bad and the HyperT had been masking it.

It wasn’t an option for Bailey because the Hypert had caused heart problems.

However, they both did well on the meds and lived for years with the condition. But it’s incredibly stressful because over time you need higher and higher doses of meds to keep it at bay, so I really hope the RI treatment is an option for Misa.

As others have said, getting the dosage right is critical. Slow and steady is the way to go with this illness. Bailey was started on too high a dose and it wiped him out.

It’s also vital to keep an eye on Misas kidney function and make sure everything is fine there before doing anything else.

Until T4 gets back into the normal range, there is NO way to tell what’s actually going on with the kidneys. With Jake, his kidney results were always perfectly normal until his T4 came right down, at that point the results for kidney function totally changed and went through the roof. We then had to try and balance the dosage so his T4 was slightly higher than normal to keep his kidneys functioning.

I can’t tell you how important it is that the vet understands HyperT, I was very fortunate to have a very experienced vet, but even he learned a lot from information I picked up from my own research, so it’s great that Gareth is working with you like he is.

Get to understand the numbers from blood test results and keep a note of them and the symptoms. I found that really helpful because I got to the point where I knew before a blood test that T4 was high again.

I take it Misa will be getting regular blood tests? We did fortnightly bloods at first and then 4 weekly when stable. Both T4 and kidney function was checked at every test. Both of mine had T4 that was through the roof at first but it does come down and you’ll start to see improvements after a couple of weeks.

Some of the stuff you’re describing is classic HyperT symptoms. Being more vocal – my God, Bailey howled randomly and wailed at me constantly when he was ill. And the lying in cool spots too. Everything works on a much higher level with the illness so Misa will be overheating.

I’m keeping everything crossed that your lad responds well to meds and is healthy enough to have his RI treatment.
If you’ve any questions, send me a message. I had years of dealing with hypert and was on lots of forums so I’ll help in anyway I can

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2016, 07:15:51 AM »
Places like B & M and Poundstretcher do the Mons Petit at £1.50 on line for delivery - that's what our stroke boy Jester eats as a full sachet is to much for him in one go and I order the minimum for free postage and its usually delivered in a couple of days

He will keep on eating like a horse till he is stable and that's where the Complivit food supplement is great as you can pump it in top of food or mix through food in gravy and it can put up to 300gns a week on to a cat, our Max Hyper T for 9 years thought it was a treat after a while and ate it with his pate and tablet can take a good couple of months to get stable and the blood tests are every 3 weeks if memory serves me right to see if the dose needs to go up or down
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2016, 23:21:53 PM »
THANKS SONYA BUT DONT GO ANYWHERE CLOSE TO A WILKOS AND HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED ONLINE AT LOADS MORE THAN THAT!

3 FLAVOURS, LIVER, CHICKEN AND SALMON I THINK.

MISA IS PESTERING ME FOR SOME SPECIAL FOOD! WELL ABOUT AN HOUR NOW LOL..........COULD BE DUCK OR GOOSE THIS TIME SO HOPES HE LIKES.

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2016, 23:14:57 PM »
Gill Wilko's do Lickee lix..... 5 sachets for 80p if that helps, they have chicken and salmon flavours.  They are £1 everwhere else

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2016, 22:22:10 PM »
THANKS LYNN HE IS STILL EATING MORE THAN HE DID BUT NOT USING THE TRAY..HE IS OUT AT THE MOMENT BUT DONT KNOW IF HE HAS A SECRET POODLING PLACE COS I HAVENT FOUND IT!

IT WOULD BE GREAT IF HE PUTS ON SOME WEIGHT, MISAMAN ISNT RIGHT WITHOUT SOME FLESH ON HIM.

YES ITS COSTING ME A FORTUNE PAULA BUT AS LONG AS HE WILL HAVE HIS MEDS AND GET WELL I DONT CARE.

HAVE HAD TO BUY LICKEE LIX ONLINE AND THATS A FORTUNE TOO AND HAVE A FEELING HE WONT LIKE THEM!

ALSO HAVE AD DIET AND SOME PILL POCKETS AND SOME PASTE COMING FROM THE STATES BUT DONT THINK EITHER OF LAST TWO WILL WORK WITH THIS MUCH LIQUID BUT  JUST WANTED AS MANY OPTIONS AS POSSIBLE.

IF THE MONS PETIT KEEPS ON WORKING AND HE LIKES MORE THAN JUST THE CHICKEN THEN THAT WILL BE GREAT....................HMMMMMMM DO NEED SOMEONE TO EAT THE LICKEE LIX! DONT THINK IT WILL BE TO LUPINS TASTE THOUGH OR SASA, MAYBE WRONG.

I STILL NEED TO GET A CARRIER AND SASA NEEDS HER VACINATION AND CHECK.

HOPE DINNER NEARLY READY

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2016, 21:39:52 PM »
Gill, Misaman's weight should start to stabilise first, then you should find that he will put a bit on if you feed him extra.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2016, 20:39:02 PM »
I am so glad that Misaman seems to be doing so well, so quickly, even if he is costing you a fortune in luxury food. My Tesco does Lick E Lix as well.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2016, 18:46:57 PM »
THANK YOU ALL AND SEEMS HYPERT GROUP WERE RIGHT THE DOSE RECOMMENDED FOR MISA WOULD HAVE BEEN FAR TOO HIGH.

HE IS ONLY SHOUTING A BIT WHEN HE WANTS SOMETHING AND OMG HAS HE LEARNED QUICK..............THE NICEST FOOD ID BROUGHT TO HIM!!

HE WANTED SOME FOOD AND BROUGHT HIM IN HIS NORMAL ONE FOR THIS TIME OF THE DAY BECAUSE HE WOULDNT GO AND HELP HIMSELF AND NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THATS NOT WHAT HE WANTED,,,,,,WAS CHICKEN OR HIS MEDS!

HE IS SO THIN THOUGH  :(  HOPING MAYBE HE WILL PUT ON SOME WEIGHT IF THE MEDS WORK?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2016, 17:22:42 PM »
So glad that the medicine have arrived and your boy has accepted it  ;D

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2016, 17:08:11 PM »
that's great news!!! When Silvie and Tabby first had their HT meds it didn't make any difference for at least a week to 10 days. Although they weren't showing illness signs, just eating and eating and eating but losing weight.  One was on Felimazole and the other was on Vidalta. :Luv:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2016, 16:42:01 PM »
I am so pleased to hear the latest update ;D

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2016, 15:19:42 PM »
Aww thats really good news Gill  ;D Keep taking yours Meds Mosi, you'll be better soon!  ;)  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2016, 13:40:12 PM »
MISA HAD FIRST DOSE OF NEW MEDS LAST NIGHT BEFORE BEDTIME, ATE IN THE GRAVY OF MONS PETIT NO PROBLEM AND WAS TRYING TO LICK THE DISH OUT OF EXISTANCE!

HE SEEMS TO HAVE HAD A BETTER NIGHT AND NO SHOUTING WHEN I GOT UP AND NO LYING BY THE BACK DOOR.

HAS JUST HAD 2ND DOSE AND WAS WASHING HIS FACE AND PAWS AFTER..........MAYBE IT TASTES VERY GOOD?

AGAIN NO SHOUTING AND HE IS BY BACK DOOR NOW BUT SUN JUST TRYING TO COME OUT AND HE DOESNT SEEM TO WANT TO GO OUT.

AFTER THIS DOSE HE WENT BEHIND TV TO WASH HIS FACE AND PAWS AND HAD A PLAY WITH SOME TOYS.

IF THIS IS THE REACTION SO QUICKLY AND HE IS ON THE SMALLEST DOSEAGE THEN IT SOUNDS AMAZING.

WHAT ARE OTHERS EXPERIENCES WITH HYPER T MEDS WHEN THEY FIRST START HAVING THEM?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2016, 21:38:51 PM »
I DONT REMEMBER SEEING IT IN OUR TESCO BUT WILL LOOK...........THANKS  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa