Author Topic: MISA VERY ILL WITH HYPER T..NEED SOME HELP PLEASE  (Read 29954 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: MISA VERY ILL WITH HYPER T..NEED SOME HELP PLEASE
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2017, 16:33:36 PM »
I AGREE ROSELLA AND THANK YOU  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2017, 16:26:26 PM »
Excellent message to send out on any forum.

Hope you can chill a bit today Gill  :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2017, 16:13:57 PM »
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND ESPECIALLY ABOUT SYLVIE,  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I AM STILL  VERY UPSET AND SOMEONE IN THE GROUP HAS WRIITEN TO ME SAYING THIS PERSON IS KNOWN FOR HIS BAD ATTITUDE AND THIS HAS BEEN POSTED ON THE FORUM TODAY AND  HAVE TO THINK IT IS A DIRECT RESPONCE TO WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT.

TROUBLE IS I AM SO FRAGILE RIGHT NOW AND ITS ALSO AFFECTED MY HEALTH WHICH ALSO AFFECTS MISA.

Reminder : Caring and consideration of others
     This message is sent out automatically from time to time, and does not necessarily coincide with anything happening on the list at the time.
     Caring for cats who have a health problem can be very stressful, producing fear and stress and sometimes irritability. When posting messages to the group, please keep in mind how others may be feeling as they read the group messages, and aim to write to the group in the most loving and supportive way possible. Differences of opinion are natural, and indeed it is good to hear different opinions, as it increases our knowledge of different ways we might be able to help our cats. But do present your difference of opinion or experience in a way which is respectful of the different opinions and experiences of others.
     The aims of the group are to provide support and share experiences and information. We are proud of the group as it accomplishes these goals very well. From time to time, emotions may become passionate and hurt feelings may result. Please let the owner and moderators know if you need any assistance with problems or concerns in this regard.  Often we find that a comment that seems insensitive is just the result of the stress that someone is experiencing in their life. So think before you post and ask yourself, “Is this a message I would like sent to me?”

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2017, 13:43:48 PM »
Gill, there are always people with strong opinions, but I'd be trusting the professionals.  Yes, many things are done differently in the U.S. but that doesn't always make it right, or best.   :hug: :hug:  Gareth knows how much your cats mean to you.  Your health Isn't fantastic, and we're stuck with the UK guidelines, which I wouldn't poo-poo unnecessarily.  Don't be swayed by someone a million miles from where you are now, however fluffybanana-sure they may be.  They aren't you.  :hug: They aren't Misa's care-giver.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
when i was researching all the vets that did this treatment there was one in York where they only stayed for 2 weeks but you had to keep the cat in for another 2 weeks when home and double bag all the litter and had to leave it for a few weeks before disposing of it.  Although it was horrible leaving Silivie in the vets for a month, I knew she was in the best possible place. Also when I brought her home after the 4 weeks, she did a poo in her tray and it set off our smoke alarm, so I am sure she was still pretty radioactive :evillaugh:  Just ignore these idiots, there is always one! :censored:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »
the protocols regarding length of stay are entirely down to human health and not that of the cat - I suspect UK errs on the side of extreme caution, and as I understand it if there is no one in the house who could be pregnant, and if the owner can be trusted to dispose of radioactive litter safely, then coming home only a few days after the treatment would be perfectly OK

but our government prefers to have a one rule for all policy, and the vets make a lot of money out of it, so we have to grin and bear it - and after all we don't know if there have been any cases in the US of owners of cats who have had the radioactive iodine treatment becoming ill themselves from it
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2017, 07:06:09 AM »
I'd rather he stay in longer to be safe than come out early.  There's no knowing if the protocols they use are right.  Everyone interprets things differently.  Don't let it bother you. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2017, 05:05:42 AM »
POSTED THIS ON A TEAM BUT REALLY SHOULD BE HERE!

SHOULD BE IN BED COS NOT BEEN WELL TONIGHT AND EAR STILL PLAYING UP.

THOUGHT I WOULD JUST LOOK AT EMAILS AND ONE FROM HYPRT T GROUP HAS REALLY UPSET ME, NOT FROM THE USUAL PERSON WHO REPLIES BUT SOMEBODY ELSE.

BASICALL SAYS WE USE ANCIENT/OUT OF DATE PROTOCALS BECAUSE THE CLINICS CANT BE BOTHERED LEGALLY TO GET THINGS SET UP RIGHT.

I HAVE JUST SENT 2 REPLIES TO THIS IDIOT....................SAYING LANGTON IS THE BEST IN COUNTRY, DONT BE SO RUDE ABOUT MY COUNTRY AND WHAT THE HELL IS HE TALKING ABOUT!!

HE MENTIONS ANOTHER CLINIC IN WETHERBY AND SAY THEY HAVE THE SHORTEST STAY IN THE UK BUT STILL LONGER THAN THE US, SO I ASSUME HE IS TALKING ABOUT HOW LOMG MISA WILL BE STAYING THERE.

AS FAR AS I KNOW CATS CANNOT LEAVE UNTIL THE RADIOACTIVITY HAS DIED DOWN SUFFICIENTLY FOR IT TO BE SAFE FOR WHERE THEY LIVE AND WHO THEY LIVE WITH.

ALL I WANTED WAS TO HAVE A GOOD SLEEP TONIGHT AND NOE THATS PROBABLY OUT OF THE WINDOW................JUST SO MISERABLE NOW   :( :( :( :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2016, 18:31:08 PM »
THANK YOU  ;D

MISS SYLVIE TUBBINESS  ;D ;D

I WOULD LOVE MISA TO PUT ON A KILO AND A HALF AND BRING HIM BACK TO 6 KGS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,USED TO BE 7.5 BUT THAT PROBABLY TOO HEAVY FOR HIS BACK LEGS NOW.

BUT IF IT ALL HAPPENS THEN CAN TRY THE SUPPLEMENT TO SEE IF IT WILL HELP LEGS

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2016, 18:25:32 PM »
Everything crossed for Misa and he can go ahead with the RI treatment. Silvie is still doing really well, in fact she is a bit toooooo tubby now! :innocent:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2016, 14:53:13 PM »
THATS NOT CERTAIM YET UNTIL THE ASSESSMENT

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2016, 11:22:03 AM »
Glad to hear the treatment will go ahead Gill :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2016, 15:08:16 PM »
THANKS NICOLA

I HAVE SEEN GARETH TODAY..SASA NEEDED HER BOOSTER!............AND ALSO HAD THE REPLY FROM HYPERT GROUP.

THEY THOUGHT THAT HIS DOSE NEEDED INCREASING BUT TO DISCUSS WITH GARETH, THEY ALSO SAID THAT YES HE IS LIKELY PRE-RENAL LIKE THE LAB SAID BUT BECAUSE HIS CREAT LEVELS STILL WELL WITHIN NORMAL THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM WITH THE IODINE TREATMENT, GARETH AGREED. THEY WOULD BE SURPRISED IF THOSE LEVELS CHANGED MUCH MORE.

APPARENTLY THE KIDNEY LEVELS WILL BE THE SAME WITH MEDS, OP OR IODINE AND IN THE US PTOTOCALS WOULD ALLOW MISA TO BE TREATED WITH IODINE.

TO BE HONEST I DONT THINK GARETH KNOWS! HE HAS ONLY HAD 1 OR 2 CATS GO FOR TREATMENT.

HYPER T GROUP FOUND IT ODD  THAT WITH DOUBLE THE DOSE THE T4 LEVELS HAVE NOT COME DOWN MORE AND RECOMMENDED THAT I SPEAK TO GARETH ABOUT INCRESING THE DOSE.

HE HAS READ THE LITERATURE AND I AM GOUNG TO INCREASE THE FIRST DOSE BY ANOTHER 1.25 AND LEAVE THE 2ND DOSE AS IT IS AT 2,5, WHICH IS AGAIN ONE OF THE OPTIONS GIVEN BY HYPER T GROUP.

I ASKED GARETH IF THE REASON COULD BE THAT THE TUMOUR IS GROWING QUICKLY BUT HE DIDNT KNOW ONLY THAT IT IS NOT CANCEROUS. HE SAID IT JUST COULD BE THE MEDS ARE SLOW TO WORK. ANOTHER BLOOD TEST IS NOT FEASABLE BEFORE LANGFORD AND IN 2 WEEKS IT IS NOT ENOUGH TIME FOR THE MEDS TO SHOW MUCH CHANGE. HOPEFULLY AT LANGFORD THEY WILL HVE REDUCED AGAIN.

LIKE YOU FOUND ORDINARY VETS ARE REALLY NOT UP TO SPEED WITH HYPER T TREATMENT AND HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE PROTOCALS FOR IODINE TREATMENT , SUSPECT COS ITS EASIER TO JUST DO WHAT THEY ALWAYS HAVE DONE AND FOLLOW THE PILL MANUFACTORERS INSTRUCTIONS.

WHAT MISA IS HAVING IS NEW AND ONLY FOUND OUT ABOUT IT BECAUSE OUT SUSANNE FOUND OUT ABOUT IT. GARETH OBVIOUSLY THINKS THIS IS A GOOD OPTION BECASUE THEY ARE NOW STOCKING IT.  AFTER ALL THIS IS OVER I THINK I WILL WRITE TO HIM TO REMIND HIM WHAT THE COMPANY VET TOLD ME AND MAYBE ABOUT THE HYPER T GROUPS ADVICE.

I HAVE SPOKEN TO ONE OF THE VETS AT THE COMPANY THAT MAKE IT ABOUT DOSEAGE AND SHE AGREES WITH THE HYPER T GROUP TO START LOW AND BUILD UP DESPITE WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE MEDS SAY! THEY ALSO SAY NOT TO HAVE IN FOOD BUT TOLD HER THAT I WAS MIXING IT WITH GRAVY FROM MONS PETIT AND SHE SAID THAT WAS ABSOLUTELY FINE.

ITS THE ONLY WAY I CAN BE SURE HE HAS IT ALL.

HE HAS HAD THE FIRST NEW LEVEL DOSE AND WAS WORRIED COS SUCH A LARGE ANOUNT OF LIQUID BUT WENT IN NO PROBLEM LOL, LICKED THE DISH CLEAN  ;D

SO WE ARE STILL OFF TO LANGFORD ON 17 JAN AND UNLESS SOMETHING TOTALLY UNKNOWN IS FOUND AND HYPERB T GROUP ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE PROTOCOLS, HE SHOULD BE TREATED ON 26 JAN.

HAVE TO SAY I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE REPLES TO OTHERS AND FEED BACK FROM OTHERS LIKE ME AND THEY SEEM TO BE  GETTING IT RIGHT.

I AM SO THANKFUL FOR YOUR HELP AND ALL THE ADVICE FROM EVERYONE BUT ITS AMAZING HOW QUICK ONE LEARNS.

JUST HOPING OUR TRIP ON 17TH WILL BE AS STRESS FREE AS POSSIBLE FOR MISA AND THAT CATCHING HIM WILL BE EASIER THAN TODAY WITH SASA WHO CRIES PITYFULLY. AT THE VETS SHE LASY ON THEIR PORTABLE SCALES AND DOSED OFF WHILE ME AND GARETH TALKED LOL AND THEN WALKED BACK INTO THE CARRIER..............CATS!

ITS FRIGHTENING HOW THE TIME FLIES AND ONLY 19 DAYS TO GO!

I AM EXHAUSTED WITH MEDS, FOOD, WATER, LITTER TRAYS AND ALL MY MEDS AND EYES, NOT TO MENTION A NORTY CAT WHO SULKS WHEN HE IS HUNGRY UNTIL  HE GETS THE FOOD HE WANTS, WILL NOT TOUCH CHICKEN BUT TO MY AMAZEMENT ATE SOME TURKEY YESTERDAY! NOT TO MENTION HIS OTHER TRICKS.

SASA I HOPE WILL BE OK WHILE MISA IS AWAY COS THEY ARE BEST MATES AND TODAY THE PAIR OF THEM WERE HIDING TOGETHER WITH THE CARRIER OUT. LUPIN WANTED TO GET IN IT!

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
OH GILL, I'M SO SORRY THE RESULTS HAVE GIVEN YOU EVEN MORE TO WORRY ABOUT.  :hug:

WITH HIS DOSAGE IT MAY BE A CASE OF VERY GRADUAL INCREASES WHILE KEEPING AN EYE ON HIS RENAL FUNCTION. IT'S A WORRY THAT HIS CRE & BUN ARE AT THOSE LEVELS WHILE HIS T4 IS STILL NOT NORMAL.

UNFORTUNATELY THAT MEANS THEY'RE LIKELY TO GO UP A BIT MORE AS IT COMES DOWN.

IF IT WERE ME, I'D BE INCREASING HIS DOSE A LITTLE BUT LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BLOOD TEST IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.

I KNOW YOU HAVE HIM BOOKED FOR TREATMENT, BUT AS YOU'VE SAID YOURSELF, IF HIS KIDNEYS AREN'T GOOD, THEY LIKELY WON'T BE ABLE TO TREAT HIM.

CAN GARETH CONTACT THE CLINIC WITH HIS RESULTS AND DISCUSS IT? I KNOW MOST OF THESE PLACES WILL MAKE A DECISION BASED ON YOUR OWN VETS TESTS. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH BOTH OF MY BOYS.

IT MIGHT BE BETTER NEWS THAN YOU THINK, BUT IF NOT, AT LEAST YOU WON'T HAVE TO TRAVEL WITH HIM TO FIND OUT  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2016, 20:40:00 PM »
THE FORUM HAS MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN ANY NORMAL VET BUT WANT THEIR OPINION BEFORE I SEE GARETH ON FRI...WHICH I SAID BELOW!

VETS ARE VERY BEHIND THE TIMES AND CURRENT PROTOCOLS SADLY

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2016, 19:46:14 PM »
What does Gareth advise before getting opinions from folks on a forum the other thing is that the meds must be at 12 hour intervals to work till the full effect not with gaps I know how tying that can be but looks like his kidneys have been affected before the weight loss was noticed and then the right meds given

Having had 4 Hyper T's and had 2 ops done the kidneys have been the thing that was damaged in all of them although Max was Hyper T for 9 years and had the op a bit was missed and grew back and he went through all the meds and we also had him on stuff for his kidneys as well

Hope you can speak to Gareth and take his advice on the way forward
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2016, 18:34:22 PM »
SORRY STRUGGLING TO SEE AT MOMENT AFTER EYE TREATMENT BUT HAVE MISAS NEW BLOOD RESUKTS.

HAVE SENTBTHEN TO HYPER T GROUP AS AM SEEING GARETH ON FRIDAY IF I CAN CATCH SASA!

AM A BIT WORRIED ABOUT THE RESUKTS AS THESE ARE JUST UBDERA MONTH SINCE THE FUKK DOSEAGE OF MEDS STARTED.

UREA   16.1
CREAT  132
T4     96.2

THE LAB IS SAYING HE MAYBE PRE-RENAL AND ALTHOUGH ON FULL DOSE OF MEDS NOW HIS T4 LEVEL HAS ONLY DROPPED FROM 120.1  TO 96.2 SO LESS THAN 20, AND FROM NO MEDS TO THE HALFWAY DOSE IT DROPPED FROM 165.8 TO 120.1 SO OVER 40.

HIS OTHER LEVELS ON THE RISE..

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WORRIED THATBTRIP TO BRISTOK MAYBE USE. HE IS ALSO NOT SO KEEN ON HAVING JIS MEDS NOW SO THINK THEIR TIME LIMIT MAYBE STARTING TO MOVE TOWARDS THE END.

I DONT REALLY WANT TO TRY AND INCREASE MEDS AGAIN BEFORE 17 JAN AND HAVE ASKED HYPER T GROUP TOO. WHAT EVER THE NAME OF THE SCANNER THAT CHECKS THE TUMOUR ON THRROID AND ACCORDING TO GARETH ANY WHERE ELSE IN BOBY. BRISTOL HAVE ONE AND IF RADIO IDODINE IS USED THIS DETERMINES THE AMOUNT.

IT WOULD JUST BE TO TERRIBLE TO TAKE HOM ALL THAT WAY IF BLOODS ARE IMDICATING THAT HE COULD NOT BE TREATED.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2016, 22:52:28 PM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TAN,,,,,,,,,,,HOW IS MR BLUE?

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2016, 21:54:36 PM »
Sending love amd hugs over hun
Xxxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2016, 17:33:03 PM »
THANKS VERY MUCH NIC, HAVE REPLIED AND HAVE CAUGHT UP SOME SLEEP THANK GOODNESS

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2016, 15:51:41 PM »
Hope you get some more sleep Gill and start to feel a bit better.

I'm really sure Misas results will show a marked improvement on the new dose.

I've sent you a message - sorry it's so long, but I've included Baileys results to give you an idea of how it went with him with the medication and the journey i had with him. feel free to disregard if it's no help whatsoever!

I know it's horribly stressful, but try to be reassured that the felimazole will work, it's just a matter of dosage, and then you'll get the gold standard cure for him with the RI treamtent.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
ONLY A COUPLE OF HOURS SUE BUT STILL A BIT SHAKEY ALTHOUGH CAN GET AROUND NOW.

GARETH HAS RUNG AND AS I THOUGHT HE IS HAPPY THAT I HAVE DOUBLED THE DOSEAGE.

I HAVE DISCUSSED THE OTHER ISSUES WITH HIM AND NOW HAVE TO EMAIL HIM THE QUESTIONS BECAUSE WE BOTH REALIZE WE NEED TO KNOW NOW AND NOT ON 16 JAN!

HE AGREES WITH ME ON EVERYTHING THAT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT WE JUST NEED TO TRY AND GET LANGFORD TO BE GOOD TO US COS OF MISAS LONG JOURNEY AND HOW BAD HE GETS JUST ON AN HOUR OR LESS JOURNEY.

WHAT HE HAS TOLD ME I THINK MEANS LANGFORD WORK IN A SLIGHTLEY DIFFERENT WAY TO OTHER CENTRES AS HE SAYS CATS HAVE GONE THERE WITHOUT ANY TREATMENT BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT BE PILLED AND MISA OF COURSE FALLS INTO THIS CATEGORY BUT IS ON A BRAND NEW FORM OF MEDS...................THANKS TO SUSANNE.........AND SUSPECT IF IT WORKS FOR MISA IT WILL BE WHAT HE USES FOR OTHER CATS IN THE FUTURE.

WE KNOW IT IS WORKING BUT WE STARTED DELIBERATELY ON HALF THE RECOMMENDED DOSE BUT HE IS NOW ON THE FULL DOSE FROM LAST NIGHT. JUST NEED TO BE SURE THAT ITS NOT TOO HIGH FOR HIM.

I DIDNT REALIZE HOW THE STRESS HAD BEEN BUILDING UP AND LAST NIGHT MY BODY JUST GAVE UP TOO!

SUPPOSE ALSO THE AV TRIP DIDNT HELP THE DAY BEFORE.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2016, 06:49:53 AM »
Gill, I hope you managed to get some sleep.

I wouldn't be leaving it to chance - if Langford aren't getting in touch, I'd be making enquiries of them now, in advance of when you need to be travelling.    :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2016, 00:36:21 AM »
tHANK YOU SO MUCH ALL OF YOU  :hug: :hug:

I HAVE HAD A PANIC/STRESS ATTACK AND AM STILL NOT WELL.

ALSO MISA PIGGED A CAN OF APPLAWS AND THEN UPCHUCKED THE LOT BEHIND TV AND I CANT GET THERE AT MOMENT COS HAVING PROBS MOVING AROUND.

SASA THEN ATE THE REMAINDER I THINK, NOT A LOT AND ATE SOME OF THE REGULAR FOOD AND HAS ALSO UPCHUCKED IT...........THINK THE TUNA AND CRAB NO GOOD FOR THEM!

I HAVE HAD A REPLY FROM THE HYPER T GROUP AND THEY AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU AND SAY THE DOSE NEEDS TO BE DOUBLED.

I CANT PILL MISA NIC AND THIS IS THE ONLY WAY AND AM JUST HOPING HE WILL CONTINUE TO LAP IT UP. I DONT KNOW IF ITS SLOW RELEASE OR NOT AND GARETH DIDNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MED UNTIL I TOLD HIM, SO NEW FOR ALL OF US.

ITS VERY NEW AND MADE AND AVAILABLE ONLY IN UK. AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS NO OTHER LIQUID LIKE THIS EXCEPT IN THE USA WHERE THE PHARMACIST MAKES UP A LIQUID AND ADDS A FLAVOURING.

I WILL BE SPEAKING TO GARETH TOMORROW BUT MISAS MEDS ARE DUE IN THE NEXT HOUR AND AM THINKING ABOUT INCREASING THEM RIGHT NOW, I DONT THINK IT WILL BE A PROB WITH GARETH AS HE REALLY WANTED TO START ON A HIGHER DOSEAGE FROM THE START.

THANKS ROSELLA ABOUT THE INFO ON CREATININE I DIDNT KNOW WHICH READING EXACTLY WAS THE KIDNEY ONE AND AS YOU SAY ITS GOT A LONG WAY TO GO UP TO BE OUTSIDE NORMAL.

ITS VERY STRANGE COS LANGFORD HAVE NOT TOLD ME OR GARETH THAT THE MEDS WILL NEED TO STOP OR WHEN AND HAVE MADE THE APPT BEFORE A BLOOD TEST SHOWING HOW THE T4 WAS DOING, ALL THEY WOULD HAVE KNOW WAS THE LEVEL BEFORE THE MEDS.

GARETH SAID LAST WEEK THATB HE HOPES THEY SAY IN TIME TO DO IT!

MIND YOU ITS WORRYING IF WE HAVE TO DO A 3 HR JOURNEY WITH MISA STARVED AND WITH HIGH T4 LEVELS COS HE WAS BEFORE THE MEDS SHOUTING AND SHOUTING FOR FOOD AND GETTING IT ALL THE TIME.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2016, 00:26:37 AM »
Gill  those results kidney  don't seem bad to me.  Different labs have different normal ranges but I'm pretty sure the creatinine value is still well within the normal range for most labs and urea seems fine too (not that urea is anything to get too much in a tizz about as lots of things can affect it).  Obviously T4 is still high but that should be easily remedied with an increase in dose.  I'm sure Gareth  will be able to set your mind at rest when you talk to him tomorrow. 
Have you had any comment from Hyper T group?  From memory the Americans measure creatinine in mg/DL whereas here in UK we use mmol/L (or micro mol/ml) so the figures are not comparable unless you know the conversion factor which I have long ago forgotten.

Sending you and Misa lots of these. :hug:  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2016, 22:36:39 PM »
If I recall correctly, the HyperT group only recommend a low dose to start with to let the body adjust to the meds.  Am pretty sure increasing the dose now will markedly improve things for your beautiful Misaman Gill.

The kidney results look fine at the moment (I understand Creatinine is the more important of the kidney results) altho there is always the possibility these may worsen when the thyroid levels are under control.  They would however have to increase quite a bit to be a cause for concern as they appear really rather good  :wow:

All seems pretty good news on the whole but obviously need to wait to see what Gareth advises  :hug: :hug: and  :care: :care: for your lovely lad.

• Hero Cat
MISA VERY ILL WITH HYPER T..NEED SOME HELP PLEASE
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2016, 21:59:32 PM »
HI GILL,

IM SO SORRY IT WASNT BETTER RESULTS BUT DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT THE KIDNEY RESULTS. THEY WERE BOUND TO GO UP ONCE THE T4 STARTED COMING DOWN BUT THEY'RE STILL IN THE NORMAL RANGE.

I'LL HAVE A LOOK AT JAKE & BAILEYS STUFF TOMORROW & GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT THEIR UREA & CREATINE LOOKED LIKE AT DIFFERENT STAGES. IT MIGHT REASSURE YOU A BIT - BAILEYS WENT UP TOO BUT ALWAYS STAYED WITHIN A NORMAL RANGE. HIS KIDNEYS WERE FINE EVEN WHEN HIS T4 CAME RIGHT DOWN.

MISAS T4 IS STILL HIGH THOUGH, AND HE DEFINITELY NEEDS A HIGHER DOSE OF THE MEDS. THEY WILL NEED TO GET HIS T4 IN THE NORMAL RANGE BEFORE AGREEING THE RI TREATMENT AS FAR AS I KNOW, AND YOU WANT TO GET IT DOWN TO A NORMAL LEVEL ANYWAY FOR HIS HEALTH.

THE GOOD NEWS IS HE'S TOLERATING THE FELIMAZOLE AND HIS T4 IS GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. BUT IT'S JUST NOT BRINGING IT DOWN ENOUGH.

I'D MAYBE HAVE A WORD WITH YOUR VET ABOUT HIS EXPERIENCE WITH THE LIQUID MEDS, OR ASK ON THE YAHOO GROUP...IS IT DEFINITELY AS EFFECTIVE AS PILLS?

I KNOW MY EXPERIENCE OF THE TRANSDERMAL GEL WAS THAT WHILE IT WAS MUCH EASIER THAN PILLS, IT DIDN'T WORK AS WELL AS THEM.
DESPITE IT BEING RECOMMENDED ON THAT GROUP.

MY VET EXPERIENCED THE SAME THING, HE FOUND CATS ON THE GEL DIDN'T REACT AS WELL AS CATS ON THE SAME DOSE IN PILL FORM. JUST SOMETHING THAT MIGHT BE WORTH DISCUSSING WITH HIM, THE LIQUID MAY BE JUST AS GOOD AS PILLS THOUGH, I'VE NO EXPERIENCE OF IT.

THE PILLS ARE SLOW RELEASE, IS THE LIQUID THE SAME?

THE IMPORTANT THING NOW IS TO TRY A HIGHER DOSE AND MONITOR IT. AND I WOULDN'T WAIT ANOTHER 4 WEEKS TO HAVE BLOODS DONE AGAIN ONCE YOU START A NEW DOSE. WE ALWAYS SAW RESULTS AFTER 2 WEEKS/3 WEEKS MAX WHEN WE WERE ON THE DOSAGE ROLLERCOASTER. AT THIS STAGE IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW HE'S REACTING TO HIS MEDS.

I KNOW THE YAHOO GROUP ARE ALWAYS CONCERNED ABOUT STARTING ON TOO HIGH A DOSE BUT TO BE HONEST, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS GETTING THAT T4 DOWN, ESPECIALLY WITH THE STRAIN IT PUTS ON THEIR HEART.

IF YOU UP THE DOSE AND SEE ANY SIGNS IT'S TOO HIGH, IT'S EASY TO REDUCE. BAILEY STARTED ON TOO HIGH A DOSE, WITHIN A WEEK HE WAS DOPEY & LETHARGIC. AS SOON AS WE TOLD OUR VET, HE DROPPED THE DOSE AND HE WAS FINE.

IT'S ALSO POSSIBLE TO VARY THE DOSEAGE ON DIFFERENT DAYS, SO A HIGHER DOSE ONE DAY, LOWER THE NEXT. WE DID THAT FOR MONTHS.

ALL JUST STUFF TO BEAR IN MIND WHEN YOU TALK TO THE VET.

I KNOW HOW FRANTIC YOU'LL BE FEELING, BUT REMEMBER...ITS COMING DOWN...AND WHEN YOU GET HIM ON THE RIGHT DOSE IT'LL COME DOWN EVEN MORE. YOU'VE DONE BRILLIANTLY SO FAR LOOKING AFTER HIM, YOU'LL GET THERE  XXX

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2016, 21:11:20 PM »
THey wanted Sllvie's T4 to be in the normal range before she had the injection, and with the correct dosage it did,  and she also had to have a chest xray before she went, although they could have done that at Canterbury, but I wanted her to have it at my vets as didnt want to risk taking her all the way there to be turned away.  But then 7 days before she went she had to come off her thyroid meds as they needed to see  when she got there to Canterbury how high it went, and it shot up to around 500, they then measure the dosage of how much radioactive iodine she would need, and she had a pretty high dose of it. But if Misa's T4 is going down thats definitely good news and his urea should go back down as well. Silvie's did. Will carry on looking for her results i know they are here somewhere! So all being well if they readjust his dose it should go down pretty quickly.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2016, 20:21:48 PM »
THANKS ALISON  ;D

AHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU ARE RIGHT HEATHER WAS THINKING CREATININE WAS HIGH,

SO UREA COES DOWN ALONG WITH T4.

SO LOOKS LIKE WILL HAVE TO UP HIS DOSEAGE THEN.

THERE IS ONLY ONE MORE BLOOD TEST BEFORE HE GOES FOR ASSESSMENT! THAT WILL BE ON 23 DEC.......THE BLOOD TEST.

HIS T4 HAS COME DOWN BY 45 OVER 4 WEEKS SO GOING IN RIGHT DIRECTION.

DO THEY NEED T4 TO COME DOWN ALL THE WAY?

I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST TO SEE IF KIDNEYS WERE OK? IS THAT THE CREATININE? THAT HAS GONE UP A BIT.

GEEZ SO STRESSED.  SHIRT SOAKING NOW!

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2016, 20:03:25 PM »
GILL DONT UNDERSTAND THEM BUT WISHING MISA ALL THE BEST WITH POSSIBLE MEDS ADJUSTMENT :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2016, 20:00:15 PM »
I h ave just been trying to find Silvie's results pre RI injection but cant blooming find them, typical!! but i have her results after her treatment and it says urea should be between 6.1 and 12.5 and hers was 8. Creatinine should be between 45 and 170 and hers was 85. T4 should be between 7.5 and 55.0 and hers was 20.4. But before Sllvie had her treatment, we had to adjust her dosage 3 times as her thyroid was still very high, it was nearly 200 from what I can remember and it went down to 110 and then we had to adjust it again, she was on Vidalta and started on 10 mgs a day then went onto 20 mgs a day. Looking at Misa's kidney results they look pretty good, his urea is only slightly raised and his Creatinine is within the normal range, he just needs to get his thyroid levels down.  The urea should readjust once his thyroid levels are lower.  :Luv:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 20:02:04 PM by heather sullivan »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2016, 16:54:37 PM »
HAVE THE BLOOD TEST RESULTS AND NOW REALIZING WHAT A BLOOMIN STATE I AM IN!

ITS IN PDF FORMAT AND HATE THATCOS CANT TURN IT INTO ANYTHING READABLE OUTSIDE OF PDF.

NOT SURE ITS GOOD BUT THINK THESE ARE THE IMPORTANT READINGS WHICH I HAVE JUST SENTB TO THE HYPER t GROUP

Urea   was 11.5             now is  13.3
Creatine  was  94           now is 112
T4  was 165.8              now is   120.9

THE LAB HAVE SAID DOSEAGE NOT WORKING AND NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED,,,,,,,,,,,,HE HAS BEEN ON 1.25 TWICE A DAY SINCE 3 NOV.

AM WORRIED ABOUT KIDNEYS....................HELL I AM WORRIED ABOUT EVERYTHING!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2016, 19:51:57 PM »
agggggh how annoying!  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2016, 18:16:07 PM »
JUST RANG VETS COS NOT HEARD ANYTHING COS GARETH NOT THERE ON TUESDAYS BUT THEY SAY THEY ARE NOT IN!

THEY ARE CHECKING WITH THE LAB TO SEE WHAT STAGE THEY ARE AT, SAID SHE WOULD RING ME BACK BUT UNLESS LAB WORKS AFTER 1800 THERE WILL BE NOBODY THERE GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2016, 17:18:23 PM »
Any news on Misa's results yet? :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2016, 23:33:17 PM »
yes misa is drinking not a massive amount just normal really.

misa shouted all the way home, drove me crazy.

THINK TODAY IS SO MUCH WARMER THAN LAST NIGHT ALL THE CATS ARE CONKED OUT AND NOT REALLY EATING.

MISA GOT UP FOR A BIT OF CHICKEN AND SOME CAT FOOD BUT ALL I NEED IS FOR HIM TO HAVE HIS MEDS IN THE GRAVY IN ABOUT AN HOUR.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE ADVICE........I KEEP FORGETTING I HAVE A SUPERMARKET OF PATE FOOD WHICH THEY ALL STOPPED EATING!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2016, 22:26:43 PM »
I am spoilt as my vet is only a 3 min drive in the car, although Silvie always howls on the way, in the waiting room and on the way home again. Funny when we went to Canterbury for her RI treatment she only howled for the first half hour and then did little silly squeaks every time I looked at her. On the way home she was fine! If Misa isn't as hungry it sounds like the meds are working. Its so frustrating when they won't eat though, my mums cat Moses is so fussy, one day he will like something, then he turns his nose up.  At the moment he is chomping through raw lamb which is on the Menu! Thats nice of your vet to have your stuff sent to them to be forwarded on. Silvie also has a hiding place behind our telly I think its quite warm behind there. Took me ages to find her the first time she hid there! Everything crossed for good results for you Monday :Luv:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2016, 21:18:44 PM »
I think when cats are poorly its more important to make sure they are drinking rather than eating as dehydration can easily cause more complications.

Gareth mustn't have been concerned too much about his weight, I know it's hard when he was such a big cat. Try the usual tricks of heating food up a bit, pate type food seems to work well and mix some water in too.

Hope his bloods indicate all is well  :hug:

Both Denzel AND Dexter did a disappearing act for their last booster - I felt so bad, but the vets were really understanding. I managed to get Dexter there 15 mins after his appt time too....!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2016, 21:04:31 PM »
YOUR SILVIE SOUNDS LIKE MY LATE KOCKA , SHE WOULD LISTEN IN TO ME MAKING THE VET APPT ON THE PHONE AND VANISH.........ONE DAY OVER THE FENCE AND SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF NEXT DOORS PATH AND ANOTHER TIME SHE HID SO WELL IN THE HOUSE I COULD NOT FIND HER AND KNEW SHE WAS IN THE HOUSE COS HAD LOCKED THE CAT FLAP.

CANCELLED APPT COS HAD SERACHED EVERY ROOM, WAS SITTING ON SOFA THINKING WHERE COULD SHE BE AND LOOKED ROUND AT A CUPBOARD WHICH HAD ABBOUT 2 INCH GAP UNDERNEATH AND THOUGHT NO WAY, I KNOW SHE IS SMALL BUT.............. DECIDED I WOULD JUST HAVE A LOOK AND HER YELLOW EYES WERE WATCHING ME!

CANT REMEMBER IF I TRIED APPLAWS OR NOT BUT THINK I DID AND THEY WOULDNT EAT. HAVE TO GO AND GET SOME PET REMEMDY OR WHAT EVER ITS CALLED SO WILL HAVE A LOOK FOR A PACKET.

WAS IT YOU ASKING ABOUT COSEQUIN?

SPOKE TO GARETH MY VET ABOUT IT AND HE THINKS A GOOD IDEA AND IT DOESNT MATTER IF THE OTHER CATS EAT IT UNLIKE HYPER T MEDS.

I HAVE PROBLEMS GETTING STUFF IF ITS SENT REGISTERED SO HE KINDLY SAID THAT IF MISA WILL EAT IN FOOD THE TRIAL PACK I HAVE SENT FOR THE BIG PACK CAN BE SENT TO THEM AND THEY WILL SIGN FOR IT AND THEY WILL SEND IT ON NORMAL POST.

THE THINGS WE DO FOR OUR CATS LOL

I REALLY HOPE THAT THE RESULTS SHOW THE MEDS ARE WORKING AND NO KIDNEY PROBS, HE CERTAINLY ISNT AS HUNGRY AS HE WAS COS HAS HAD NO FOOD FOR A FEW HOURS AND STILL SLEEPING BEHIND TV IN HIS NEW HIDEAWAY PLACE! HE GETS SO STRESSED GOING TO THE VET HIS HEART IS ALWAYS RACING WHEN HE GETS THERE AND THE SAME ON THE WAY BACK I THINK SO HE IS EXHAUSTED.

THATS ONLY 30 MILES ROUND TRIP!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2016, 20:17:13 PM »
ahh little sod!! Silvie did that to me this year, she spotted the basket and hurdled over fences in garden and missed her appointment! She also lost a lot of weight but has put it all back on (and more)! now her thyroid is sorted. Fingers crossed results are good for you on Monday. Have you tried Misa on Applaws cat food? Silvie and Tabby adore the chicken and pumpkin sachets, Pets at Home sell it but I normally buy it in bulk from Zooplus.

Link to CatChat