Author Topic: Bebe and Bonnie - advice please  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Bebe and Bonnie - advice please
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 12:07:18 PM »
"Top Cat" tends not to be an issue in most multi-cat households, as cat dynamics change subtly all of the time, but if a cat isn't getting what it wants from its situation then they can cause issues, by repeatedly trying to get what they need. Sounds like Bonnie is looking for interaction with her peers.  I'd certainly try the "play as distraction" ploy first, rather than trying to separate them. 

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
It's not bebe  (the older dominant female) that is causing the fights or spats, it's bonnie who's 8 months old. Bonnie follows bebe around and pursues the fight.....I think challenging her to be top female cat I assume? Bonnie was spayed about 2 months ago so it's not that.  I think bonnie is just a rather confident little madam. I just don't want the balance to be upset or for her and bebe to have a full blown fight. 

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:50:39 AM »
My Dexter sometimes picks on his sister too. I think its sometimes when he's bored rather than real agression. So yes like Gill says maybe a toy would distract him. But maybe as Bonnie is approaching adulthood, Bebe is making sure she knows who's boss?!  :naughty:

It hasn't been serious so far, but yes I alway pick one of them up & put them away from each other. I think thats just an instictive reaction!

Has she JUST been spayed? As sometimes after a stay in the vets cats can be quite off with each other as they smell funny  :shify:

A lady I know had that problem quite seriously between her 2 cats after one of them had a lot of vet treatment (after about 15 yrs of living with each other as well). She now has a 'rota' system where one is confined to one room for half the day while the other is free to roam the rest of the house. Nightmare!

Hopefully it will settle, but cats do have spats, as long as there's no serious damage done.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 22:19:33 PM »
I WOULD TRY DISTRACTION WITH A TOY ON A STICK OR SOMETHING, IF THAT DOESNT WORK SHOVE A PILLOW BETWEEN THEM.

PICK UP THE OFFENDER AND GIVE SOME CUDDLES.

LUPIN WILL CHASE SASA AND THEY ARE PAW SWIPING BUT IF SASA NOW 18 DECIDED TO REALLY GO FOR HIM HE WOULD BE NEARLY DEAD WHEN SHE HAD FINISHED!

HOPEFULLY HE WOULD RUN FOR HIS LIFE BUT I THINK ITS JUST A HE IS GOING THRO, HOPE THE SAME WITHN YOURS

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
Bebe and Bonnie - advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 09:21:03 AM »
Hi all

So Bonnie is now around 8 months old (spayed) and although bebe and her have never been best buddies, bebe has been okay with bonnie ever since she arrived.  However the last week bonnie has started picking on bebe. She will follow bebe around, her tail down and bebe's tail up but bebe is the one who is backing away and walking away from the situation but bonnie just follows her. There is growling and a lot of tail swishing. I've been splitting them up (not sure if I should) but I'm worried they will end up fighting.

Is bonnie challenging bebe for her dominance? Bebe is boss, of the whole gang including the boys but I don't want bonnie upsetting the balance. What should we do? Let them fight it out? Keep splitting them up? Hate to think bebe is feeling picked on :(

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Nic :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:21:29 AM by NikNakNoo »

Link to CatChat