Author Topic: Can anyone help? Really desperate ( Hampshire)  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Can anyone help? Really desperate ( Hampshire) (Unknown Outcome)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 07:41:32 AM »
As there’s been no reply I will move this to sorted section.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Can anyone help? Really desperate ( Hampshire)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 07:33:33 AM »
Any news please?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 21:46:42 PM »
There's a facebook group called Feral and Farm Cats if you post on there you may find someone with a smallholding who is looking for a cat to join the crew. We rehome numerous semi feral cats this way, and in your area there are plenty of stables who have regular vet visits. Well worth a try.

Offline pussinbooties

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Katie, Mr Bubs, Poppy and Bella
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 08:45:59 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Can anyone help? Really desperate
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 08:39:52 AM »
might be worth adding that into the title of you can, some people just skim read headings  - best of luck to you  :hug:

Offline pussinbooties

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 08:34:53 AM »
Hello. Thanks for reading my post.
I live on the South coast between Southampton and Bournemouth......But willing to travel a long way if it would give him a chance of happiness and comfort.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »
what area are you in?

Offline pussinbooties

• Kitten
Can anyone help? Really desperate ( Hampshire)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 06:33:51 AM »
Hello
Looking back, I was aware of a cat hanging around last winter. A black streak would bolt from one of our wall baskets in the dark when I'd go to work but I only properly realised we had a guest from May time and since then I've been trying to slowly tame him.
Arbie as we call him was petrified of humans and cats and used to skulk round the bushes. I have three of my own and they weren't aggressive towards him but didn't like having him around and used to roll over wherever he'd been to put their scent over his. he'd give a little grunt as if to say, leave me alone and that's how I knew he was in the garden as I couldn't see him.
I would put food down and after a while he'd let me stay near while he ate but not too close. He also gained confidence and be comfortable after a few weeks lying on the lawn in full view rather than hide in bushes.
I would put food in a cat basket and sit next to it while he cautiously went in to eat. It wouldn't take much effort to close the door and capture him.
Over the months, his confidence has grown. He lifts his tail high now when I come with food. He cries and talks to me as I put food down. Just in the last couple of days, I've felt him smear my legs as I've put food down. He is definitely communicating with me.He is still very nervy and will bolt at any noise. If windows are open, he will jump in and cry when I put food down for my cats before going to attend to him. I have started to try to stroke him while he is eating but he flinches and hates it. I wouldn't dare try to touch him when not eating as he would give me a swipe. I sometimes find him settled on a sofa and then bolts which makes me think he's been used to indoors at some point and has just been very badly treated by humans in the past.
So why am I posting?

As his confidence has grown, my cats are now very uncomfortable around him and scared of him. A couple of nights ago, I heard commotion on the roof and it was Arbie chasing one of mine until I let her in through the roof window. They avoid coming indoors if he is near the doorway.

I am moving house soon. I called my local rescue and they are full and can't take him on.

Can anyone at all help and continue the taming process so he can learn to trust humans enough to be re-homed? I was hoping someone might be happy to take him on before we move.Winter is fast approaching and I live in a cat-hating street. I worry what would happen to him once we'd left. My husband says it would be kinder to have him PTS than just leave him here to fend for himself. Although the experience would be unpleasant for Arbie, I am prepared to travel a long distance for him.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:45:34 AM by pussinbooties »

Link to CatChat