Author Topic: Has anyone used 'Plaque off'?  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Has anyone used 'Plaque off'?
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 15:18:43 PM »
I give ours whole chicken hearts and they both enjoy them. Alf has had chicken legs but I worry cos he eats nearly all of them, including the bones!

I have a couple of whole trout in the freezer for them but don't know how much bone to remove?

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 07:18:27 AM »
raw bones are fine.  I used to give Jaffa chicken wings.  He loved them but Mosi looks at me as though I'm trying to poison him.  Best to stick to non weight bearing bones that as things like chicken legs can be too hard for them.  chicken wings and necks are good.  I'm trying to do the same with Kito as he eats the good quality canned stuff but it's all pate and he doesn't get to chew.  Fortunately he likes Om Nom Nom (which Mosi is eating at the  moment too) which has whole chicken hearts and he's happy chewing those.  Gets his jaw  moving a bit!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 21:25:41 PM »
I know you can't give cooked chicken bones and I seem to remember the vet saying not to give raw either. From experience, by the time I have thawed and de-boned the trout, it is nothing more than mush anyway!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 21:22:23 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think that chicken bones can splinter, even if raw as they are hollow, all avian bones are, and fish bones can be sharp and can lodge. I could be wrong, often am, but I do read a lot and something is telling me that you are not supposed to give them raw. I also seem to remember that raw pork bones can transfer parasites.

Try googling it Lyn.

Totally wrong! :-[, just googled raw bones for cats and they recommend small bones such as chicken wings and necks, whole raw fish, quail and other small bones that cats can easily tackle. I suppose it does make sense, when my cats catch pigeons all that they leave are the feathers, the crop and the feet.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 21:27:46 PM by Judecat (Paula), Reason: Admission of wrong post. »
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 20:34:29 PM »
I seem to remember that Cleo came to us accompanied by some sort of dental gel (it would have been better if my SIL had taken her to have the dental procedure that the vet advised!) but I never managed to use it properly. The few times I tried I got the stuff everywhere and Cleo refused to lick it off  :(

I think I might give the Plaque Off a go. I got into the lazy habit of giving  Alf the minced raw, as that was what Cleo could manage, rather than letting him chew on things. Methinks a change of diet might be in order too - less mince and more chewing! The one thing that bothers me is whether it is wise to give bones, even raw? I'm thinking of chikkun and fish  . . .

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 19:00:47 PM »
I use it when I remember. Can't really say whether it works as so many things contribute to dental problems, including genetics.  Plus of course I don't use it reliably. Logic gel is supposed to be good and while brushing is best it is supposed to have some effect if they lick it. Jaffa and Mosi loved it so much that they licked it from the tube and virtually fought over it. The enzymes work that way apparently. You can add it to food or smear on paws.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
Has anyone used 'Plaque off'?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 21:47:28 PM »
Alf has some tartar on his back teeth and is likely to need dental treatment when he sees the vet later this year.

I had a look round for helpful products - we don't have a hope of cleaning his teeth. Nor do I want to use treats due to his weight issues.

'Plaque off' came up and has some good reviews. Like all things, it also has some negative comments.

Alf doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, have any thyroid issues.

Has anyone tried this?

Link to CatChat