Author Topic: Bebe and her large belly  (Read 5957 times)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Re: Bebe and her large belly
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 19:17:01 PM »
The vet said that if she had worms she would be eating a lot .....................

That's true of most cats but in the case of my Biggles (who is indoor/outdoor and a voracious hunter) I know as soon as he starts to get picky with his food and eat slowly or not at all, that he needs worming. The next sign if I ignore that (which I don't now that I know what it means) is problems in the poo department, sometimes loose and sometimes the opposite.  Biggles, like Bebe,  has a long history of tummy problems (no swelling though) with all sorts investigations but no definitive diagnosis other than 'sensitivity' and he too did well on the RC sensitive until he decided to rebel and stop eating it.  So, definitely worth worming her to see if that improves things.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 18:02:51 PM »
Not at all, I'd never heard of it before coming on here, it's a parasite known to cause chronic diarrhea in cats, I know you said it wasn't precisely diarrhea but loose stools, but it might be worth getting it ruled out just in case. (Tritrichomonas Foetus, since you asked ;),TF is easier)

That's Def easier haha thank you for clarifying. I've spoken to the vets today and they said as she's an indoor cat there isn't really a need to worm her regularly however to maybe do it one or twice a year just to be safe. So we are going to worm her today and leave it a few days to see if it improves.  The vet said that if she had worms she would be eating a lot which she isn't however if she had loads and loads of worms she would start to losee weight  which again, she isn't.  I will do some research into the Tf and maybe raise it with the vet. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 17:36:39 PM »
Not at all, I'd never heard of it before coming on here, it's a parasite known to cause chronic diarrhea in cats, I know you said it wasn't precisely diarrhea but loose stools, but it might be worth getting it ruled out just in case. (Tritrichomonas Foetus, since you asked ;),TF is easier)
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
She is gorgeous, I hope the vet can get to the bottom of it soon, maybe mention TF to them and take a stool sample with you when you go to the vet?

Sorry but what is TF? Stupid question I'm sure.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 11:47:34 AM »
She is gorgeous, I hope the vet can get to the bottom of it soon, maybe mention TF to them and take a stool sample with you when you go to the vet?
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 11:03:38 AM »
We also use a drug called Stomogyl which drys up and has an AB in it I have poor Tonic on it he has never been right and he gets a course as and when he needs it and also have my 15yo 3 legged hooligan Maverick on it as he ate something which one of the youngsters left and it has not agreed with him at all and he has drippy bot stuff works a treat its something new and of course our vets gave us some to try
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 22:42:03 PM »
Sounds like she has TF get the vet to run to poo sample then a course or 2 should cure the runs so to speak, also have you wormed her regularly

It's not the runs as such it's just like a mush. And she's not going more than normal and she isn't straining like she was. Her poops got loads better when we initially started her on the sensitive food. Just seems odd that it's going down hill again. Also her very round belly.  She is an indoor cat so not sure where she would get worms from.  We haven't wormed her recently bcos of this. Should we? There is nothing in her Poop.  She's not vomiting and she isn't lethargic. I think we will take her back to the vets just in case. They thought they could feel a lump but they did ultrasound and xray. They took her bloods and they all came back in the range of normal. Just would hate to think she's uncomfortable

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 22:30:45 PM »
Sounds like she has TF get the vet to run to poo sample then a course or 2 should cure the runs so to speak, also have you wormed her regularly
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
Bebe and her large belly
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 22:15:01 PM »
Hi all

Bebe is our lovely tabby and for the last few years has had stomach issues.  Her belly started getting larger and her Poop was disgusting.  Almost liquid and stank. After several visits to the vets and ultrasound scans and xrays later they couldn't see anything so they suggested putting her on to sensitive food.

For the last 6 months or so she's been eating royal canin sensitive biscuits and meat with no other treats. Her belly and Poop improved a lot but the last month it's been getting worse again and her belly seems to keep expanding. It's like that's a ball in there she is so round. She doesn't eat that much so I don't see how she's getting fat. We are worried there is something else wrong but maybe she is just putting on weight but why then is her Poop getting yucky again. Could she be allergic to this new food now even though it helped her before? Are there conditions or illnesses we should be looking into?

I'll attach some images, although they may not show the extent of her round belly.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 22:16:22 PM by NikNakNoo »

Link to CatChat