Author Topic: Kitten eating wildlife...... any tips?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Kitten eating wildlife...... any tips?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:48:39 AM »
Hi David

The suggestions you've made to your Nan are probably the best you can currently get, save for removing the bird feeders altogether, but it's likely Katie would just predate elsewhere, rather than stopping altogether.  Even having a collar with a bell won't stop a determined cat, as they can learn to hunt stealthily enough to silence the bell.  Shouting at a cat when they've brought you their kill doesn't help either.  We've found the best way to deal with it is to remove the "gift" quietly and without fuss, and to offer a food treat - it may seem like you're rewarding "bad" behavior, but the cat sees only that they've honoured you with their friendship - handing over a meal is a big deal after all.

With regard to cats who're kept in for the first 6 months, in one word - Nah.  Doesn't make any difference in my experience.  Some cats like going out.  Some cat love going out.  Some cats love staying home.  Often, the ones in the latter category, are cats who've been long time strays, typically entire toms subsequently neutered, who don't want to leave the comfort of a safe haven and regular meals.  It does vary though from cat to cat.

Offline davidbennett1819

• Kitten
  • Cat fanatic, live in Wiltshire (-:
  • Slave to: Twosocks
Kitten eating wildlife...... any tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 20:58:34 PM »
Hi all,

Recently, my nan got a new kitten - a young female she's named Katie. However, she recently made her first kill - a blue tit, who's nommed remains were deposited in my nan's bedroom.

Does anyone have any tips for stopping this problem behaviour? I've gotten her a bell collar, which should slow her down hopefully and I've recommended that nan move her bird feeders to a higher location but any other tips/success stories would be greatly appreciated.

I'll admit this problem is of particular interest to me. I recently completed my degree in animal science, and the first thing I'd like to research is which factors influence whether a cat develops predatory tendencies (like Katie, and my first cat Aubrey) or is content with her whiskas (like my decidedly lazy feline pudgeball Twosocks, who's idea of hunting is to ambush the fridge).

Another question relating to this topic: do you find that kittens who are kept in for the first 6 months of their life don't develop the same desire to go outside as those who were allowed to roam?

I'll admit the second one has nothing to do with Katie - that ship has sailed, despite my advice - but I'm building a new research survey on the topic and would appreciate the advice of other cat lovers.

Many thanks to all

Link to CatChat