Author Topic: Should I be worried - constant hairballs  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
Re: Should I be worried - constant hairballs
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
I bought a Defurum it is brilliant for removing loose hair so there is not so much to lick off.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 20:09:35 PM »
Do you leave food down all the time because once she has sicked up the furball and food she is probably starving and needs to eat again.

I leave food down all the time as mine all graze but you could leave biscuits down at least.

If She is not given anymore food she will lose weight!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 17:21:30 PM »
You could phone your vet to see what weight she was last month?

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 17:06:49 PM »
she's indoor, 8 this month  :Luv:

I did have cat grass at one point but she's never had problems making herself sick, the issue is stopping her from being sick so she keeps her food down  :sick:

yes she's looking a little skinny, she had her checkup last month at the vets and I don't think she's any thinner she's just not as tubby as she used to be. I guess I'll weigh her. Is there a healthy weight I should be checking against?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 16:27:30 PM »
To get rid of the fur she eats she has to be sick and grooming is normal.

Is she an indoor cat only or does she go outside, and how old?

If she is losing weught take her to nthe vets.

If she is outdoor she may eat grass but mine like it long so they can bit bits off the ends...........thats theway cats make themselves sick to get rid of furballs.

If she is inddor you can but cat grass to grow indoors, some will eat it others wont

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
Should I be worried - constant hairballs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »
My cat Belle has always been a bit of an over groomer but it's got to the point where she is being sick and bringing up a fur ball every day. Initially she'd eat food and then puke straight away but since moving her to a sensitive cat food (purina one) this has lessened to every few days and it has become later in the day, often with the fur ball.

I'm starting to get a little concerned though as she's getting very thin. She's not off her food and she's drinking lots of water, I just don't think it's staying in her long enough to have any benefit. Does anyone have any tips? maybe on other foods to try or something I can try adding to the food giving her separately?

I'm brushing her everyday, twice usually so I don't think I can stop the furballs any more than I am, I just need her to stop being sick!

thanks in advance x x x

Link to CatChat