Author Topic: Bringing home a Bengal kitten with an 11 month old...!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Bringing home a Bengal kitten with an 11 month old...!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 17:53:40 PM »
Hello Manish.  Welcome to the forum.   :welcome:

So, you've been seduced by the undoubtedly fascinating Bengals, eh?   I think Dawn has summed them up, and given you the benefit of her experience  straight from the horse's mouth.  They have a reputation for being quite high-energy, demanding cats, and it's quite an undertaking to adopt one, even when you have no small children. 

I'd be a little wary of having such a young child and a young kitten in the house together, but that's because I don't think it's ever a very good mix unless you're fully prepared to be ultra vigilant, and I don't just mean in terms of hygiene.  As a first time pet owner you may not be prepared for all the  wily wheezes cats have, regardless of breed.  Put them together with the wily wheezes and grabbing instincts of babies and toddlers, and it can be an interesting (and potentially explosive) interaction.

That said, there are plenty of people who are living testimony to cats, dogs, kids and other pets all rubbing along perfectly well together.  Much depends on how committed you are to making it work, and to keep going when things get tougher than you initially anticipated.  And that's not a personal criticism of you - I'm just thinking from my own experience.

Back in November last year, as experienced and long term cat and dog owners, we adopted two small semi feral kittens.  They've tested us to the limits in the 7 months we've had them, and driven us to distraction at times.  There was one occasion when we had their things packed and had rung the shelter admitting defeat and requesting that they allowed us to return them.  But we didn't.  We kept going.  They're still trying us to distraction - and Dawn will probably say the same thing about her cat family too  :evillaugh:

If it all got much tougher than you anticipate it might, would you have a sound back-up plan?  There are so many cats who end up being advertised "free to good home" or on Gumtree and Freecycle because people have bitten off more than they can chew.  It isn't fair on them when they become "surplus to requirements."

It's great that you're posing the question, and really thinking about it before you've actually brought the cat home, but think of all the things that could go wrong, double it for a normal cat and treble it for a Bengal.   :hug: 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 16:12:32 PM »
is there a particular reason you wanted a Bengal?  I have one myself and she has been with me over 10 years she isn't the easiest pet I've ever owned!  she doesn't enjoy being held so if yours is the same you will need to encourage the baby to keep away, you should also make sure the cat has high places they can go to get away if they choose, as I say mine doesn't enjoy interaction with people particularly although not all bengals are the same but you have to be prepared in case yours doesn't, mine also has very big claws, she can scratch (never on purpose but if she happens to walk across you) - they can also be rather dominant with other cats so if you have any neighbours with cats keep in mind, we have a cat proof garden so its not an issue but I do have to time share the garden with another cat in my care because they hate each others guts!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 16:09:14 PM »

Bengals are beautiful cats. They are very active and vocal and grow quite large. My neighbour has a 10 year old boy, nearly 8kg.
I think for a beginner he may be a bit too much to take on, especially with a baby in the house. Although he wont be in any danger from the cat.

Offline manishkulkarni

• Kitten
Bringing home a Bengal kitten with an 11 month old...!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 14:45:40 PM »
Hello All,

I’ve had a lifelong fascination for nature and wildlife including pets, but never had the means or space growing up! Our little boy is now coming up 9 months and I could resist no longer – I’ve been researching for a brown rosette Bengal kitten and managed to find a breeder with a top pedigree litter that would be ready towards mid July 2016. The kittens have an amazing pattern and rather impulsively I also put down a sizeable deposit (they don’t come cheap!) and reserved a boy! But now kind of questioning my own decision, as to whether it’d be appropriate to get a kitten when our boy would be around 11 months old... he’s a great kid, very happy, inquisitive and interactive, no doubt he’d have a great time with the kitten and vice versa I’d imagine... But still wanted to double check if it’s a sensible age to bring home a kitten... I appreciate common sense things such as a supervised interaction at all times, kitten not sleeping in baby’s bed (or even barred from entering his room altogether), general hygiene etc. but anybody particularly thinks this is a big No-No...?

I’d be very grateful for any advise and guidance from your collective experience as I’m a total newbie when it comes to pets! Have every intention of following up with a puppy a couple of years down the line.

Thanks
Manish

Link to CatChat