Author Topic: Adopting after losing cats  (Read 3875 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Adopting after losing cats
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 22:43:01 PM »
Sorry for your loss, but I agree, I would keep most things unless there has been something infectious. From volunteering at a rescue things are used over and over again. Sometimes a new cat may not like the scent of another cat - unless it is upsetting for you I would give your new addition(s) the option. You know what cats are like, you buy them something new, they don't use it, but if you even think of throwing it out they'll be on it!

Anything you don't want to re use or isn't going to be used your local rescue may make use of  :hug:

Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 23:36:25 PM »
Hi Carolyn, I am so sorry for the loss of your furbabies  :hug:

You have had some great advice here, I hope you find other furries with whom to share your life soon.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 16:29:44 PM »
Hello Carolyn, I'm sorry for your loss.  :hug:

No reason whatsoever to replace cat toys and furniture, unless one of your previous Furbabies was a carrier if an infectious condition (and from what you've said already it appears this was not the case) so I'd just freshen them up with a Hoover and steam cleaner if you have one?

Good luck with your new family, have you chosen yet? Have a look on the Catchat.org adoption and rehoming resource or check your local Cats Protection branch at Cats.org.uk  if not.  :Luv:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 17:56:20 PM »
I would keep most things as cats even adopted ones are greatful for new things to them, we recycle ours by moving them around the house then to the outside feral cat garage and as its open 24/7 our own find new "old" things and they play again with them

I would pop over to the Purrs shop and get a selection of new stuff and mix it with the older stuff currently have just done that as well and its like the happy half hour new and old are now all interesting again

I added Melody Bengal last week to my lot she was part of a rescue I was involved with and although rehomed she isn't in to this touching lark so has come here as we have a mixed bag and she has settled in well and has her hidey holes but is now very relaxed with some of the old toys :)

I remember you adopting the boys from our wonderful Aunty T x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 14:02:47 PM »

I'm so sorry you've lost Cassidy and Momo, and in quick succession.  It's heartbreaking, and fully understand your desire to take on another two cats straight away.   :hug: :hug:

That's such sound advice from Frances.  I wouldnt even throw out the litter trays.  Just give them a good scrub with washing up liquid, leave them to air dry, and put fresh liiter in.

New toys?  Oh, they're always welcome, but our "second paw" items  ;) also go down very well with our three "borrower" cats (not ours, just come to visit and hang out with our cats. )

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 13:24:48 PM »
Sorry for your loss of Momo and Cassidy :hug:.  Just read they were Paws Inn cats :Luv: - James and Christopher are two of Teresa's proteges :).

I'd be inclined to keep everything initially.  Remember, cats' sense of smell is far greater than ours and your home will probably still smell of Momo and Cassidy to any new cats.  Hard items like food/water bowls won't retain much of their scent but "marking" sites like scratching posts will retain a lot more.  It will depend on your new furries as individuals as to whether they take to "secondpaw" items but I'd leave it to them to choose and replace only what they reject. 

I'd probably get them a couple of new toys as housewarming presents ;).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 13:38:52 PM by Frances »

Offline Carolyn

• Adult Cat
Adopting after losing cats
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:22:06 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm after some practical advice. As I have posted in the Rainbow Bridge section, I lost both my dearly loved cats within a few weeks of each other. Cassidy had congenital heart failure and Momo had organ failure and (non-infectious) peritonitis as complications of an accident with a car, severe tail pull injury/amputation and ongoing incontinence (he was in a pen at my home for nearly a year as we couldn't risk him knocking the 1cm gap in his spine and making him worse).

I can't live in a cat-free home and want to adopt another pair of cats straight away. My question is, what do I keep of Momo and Cassidy's "stuff" and what should I let go of? Obviously I will discard litter trays, but what about other things like food/water bowls, scratching posts, beds, toys etc. It sounds like a dumb question, but with Momo and Cassidy being my first rescue cats, it's not a situation I've been in before and I don't want to unnecessarily send items to landfill.

Link to CatChat