Author Topic: Feral Cat Feeders  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
Feral Cat Feeders
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:04:58 AM »
As most of you know I have a feral called Kate,  the black cat the comes at night, and also a fox cub.  The problem I am having is keeping their dry cat food out of the mouths of rats and mice.  We had two mice that Kate the cat has caught but they have been replaced by a rat family which I don't want to be in the garden.

I've tried putting the bowl tied to the shed, nope rats worked that one out.  Then the food went on top of a upturned plastic bin and again they have worked that one out.  I'm now working on doing the shed thing again but surrounding it with wire wool and chicken wire mesh.

Knowing a little about rats, I know they are as intelligent as a dog, so we need to out smart these rodents.

Oh and I do have an electric rodent repeller that I know that works, but would it effect birds, as I have a robin nesting directly above the socket I would plug the thing in.  It's in the outhouse, so hopefully would cover the whole garden. 

I'd love to hear your ideas on how I can persuade said rodents to move elsewhere.  At present they are under my 5ft wide x 7 ft long and 8ft deep pond which is full of water.

Another option would to put two new doors on the outhouse to make it waterproof, then two cat flaps (although I'm not sure the fox cub would work that one out), and then put the food in there.  An expensive option I know, but the work does need to be done as both doors don't close at the moment, it was just further down the house refurbishment list.

The last option was going to be a new cat catio style place if I was able to have a house cat, with my Asthma it is a difficult one.  I do need to have my yearly check up with the Drs, so I may mention it then to see what they think.  I'm not allergic to cats I just get breathless around some of them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:09:33 AM by Purdy Bear »

Link to CatChat