Author Topic: Katie's Quest  (Read 38058 times)

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
Re: Katie's Quest
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2015, 19:10:19 PM »
I got to know a fair few nurses when Dad was alive, they visited twice a week for about 10 years, they are a great bunch and yes they are fascinated by stuff like poo, the colour, the texture, the smell, density etc.   :rofl:  Don't get them started on the colour of pee!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2015, 18:12:55 PM »
 :rofl:

I have seen that before. 

Think perhaps we need a subject change... :shify:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2015, 18:02:36 PM »
OMG...............lookin away  :shify: :shify: :shify:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2015, 17:23:31 PM »
Oh Lynn, 1st time I saw this in my mum's file in hospital I couldn't believe it. I bet trainee nurses have a right laugh when they are in class learning about it  :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2015, 16:46:03 PM »
Are you familiar with the Bristol Stool Scale (although it was devised for oomans rather than cats)?

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2015, 13:47:54 PM »
sausages are the holy grail of poo ;)

:Nooooo: :no: :Nooooo: :no:  Sausages are good but Nuggets are the Holy Grail.

sorry to lower the tone again but I beg to differ.  Nuggets are edging towards constipation.  Sausages are what we want  ;D

I thought coffee beans were more constipation  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2015, 13:43:19 PM »

sorry to lower the tone again but I beg to differ.  Nuggets are edging towards constipation.  Sausages are what we want  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
Thanks everyone, the pics of Smudge and Thomas are from before I came on here so probably about 10 years ago now. 

I miss my garden but I had to make it in to a drive way for my car as the parking down by my house is really bad so when I wanted to drive my mum around and finding it harder carrying my own shopping and decided to get a car after being without one since I past my test many moons ago I decided to get the kerb dropped and make a drive so there would be no arguments with neighbours.

Luckily I still have some flowers in front of my window and my pine trees, pampas grass, rosemary, lavender and other bushes, so not all bad. Not fit enough to see to it all now any way.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
Love those photos mary. And your garden looks gorgeous!

There's something special about ginger cats  :Luv:

I'd love red hair. In my twenties I was forever dying it various shades of red. But I gave in and accepted that as I'm very dark brown, it's never going to be proper red with dye  >:(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2015, 07:33:05 AM »
Gingers rock!  Or so Mosi tells me  ;)  I have a soft spot for gingers and both Jaffa and Mosi were/are red heads.  Now just the 1 ginger ninja of course.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2015, 07:13:47 AM »
I adore ginjas too.  :Luv:   Padster, MacBeenz and Ross being ma beautiful ginger babies.   :Luv2:

Am also red and proud, as was my Father.  It owes much to henna these days but mine own is red in ma genes.   :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2015, 00:14:38 AM »
Can't believe I have only just found this, congratulations on acquiring the Tornado's :evillaugh:, the only ginger I have ever had was my Troubles brother, they had identical markings, just one tabby and one ginger. He was called Pixel after Robert A Heinlen's Cat Who Walks Through Walls. The kitten (ginger, of course   :evillaugh:) walked through walls because he was too young to know that he couldn't.

They are gorgeous kittens...............Let the mayhem ensue!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2015, 23:08:06 PM »
Lovely seeing all those photos. Smudge and his wee pal, so sweet. ;D  lovely gingers.

Ginger and proud!  I'm red headed, my parents are red headed and my brother too! Now even my cat!!

My parents just fell in love with them when they were over. My daughter who has a 7 month old grey cat cannot believe how crazy Archie is, it's that ginger thing!!!
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2015, 22:08:06 PM »
I loves gingers too and wonderful pics Mary , never seen them before  ;D ;D ;Ds

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2015, 20:55:39 PM »
Awwww, how lovely to see Thomas making himself at home  :Luv2:

When Iwas a kid a ginger cat used to visit us often and I always said that I would have a ginger cat on day and call him Mr Chivers (Chivers are a company that make marmalade ). My adored Chivvy died 5 years ago at the age of 19  :'( He was run over at the age of 2, losing a back leg and breaking his jaw in 2 places, I never thought he would make 'old bones' so was delighted he did so well :) I have something of a soft spot for jinjas!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2015, 20:07:05 PM »
On your IPad at what time?  :Crazy: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :Crazy: :Crazy:  :rofl: :rofl: :hug:

Poo conversations are a regular thing on Purrs Katie  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Archie and Bonnie are just soooooooooooooo gorgeous.

My cat before Bonnie was Smudge and he was friends with the ginger puss up the road (Thomas) and quite often when I opened the door to let Smudge in, Thomas would follow and they would lay together on the rug in front of the fire.

Mary

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2015, 15:41:41 PM »
Thanks dawn  ;D ;D

Oh hell what have I got myself into this time lol

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2015, 15:27:56 PM »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2015, 15:21:57 PM »
I got them as close to the bottom and top as possible horizontal - they've been in place 3 or 4 years

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2015, 15:13:58 PM »
Dont the staples pull out with rough cats?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2015, 15:12:16 PM »
I refitted sisal on our tree Gill, a staple top and bottom keeps it on as long as it is tight

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2015, 15:11:46 PM »

Pork or beef  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2015, 15:10:24 PM »
Just laughin so much at your post katie.......should have read it during the long sleepless night I just had!

So true all of it and especially saying things in many words rather than a few................cant do the few myself :rofl: :rofl:

I have never had kittens that young so only can read about the fun and chaos they cause and love to hear all about it and pics of course  ;D ;D

Often think I could make a cat tree but havent figured out how to fix sisal to the post without poisoning with glue or using nails or staples! If you know a way let me know please.

Have been searching for the right tree for Lupin all year and not one even close cos I need a 50 x50 cm flat without edges top place so he can lazer and eat up there and watch through the window etc etc. Getting the wood no problem and can fix something softish to it, even a carpet tile which he is using at the moment but such a bloomin problem............he is a very long cat and last night realized he now sits taller than Misa!

Soooooooooooo this thread needs loads more photos and even a video of McKitten mayhem  :rofl: :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2015, 13:27:04 PM »

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
I can't believe I can't remember any of this wild behaviour from my cats from years ago!  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:
I'm nodding my head at that. I'm sure kittens were calmer 15 years ago when I last had them....or was I just younger and less knackered?  :rofl:

but then comes along 'the actual cat', not remotely interested in any high meat content Elk in gravy and arrives on Asdas Tiger pouches full of cr*p and loves it! Another notch on the steep learning curve.  :-[
Having donated a mountain of high quality food to the local sspca shelter and having a kitten with a serious whiskas treats addiction in need of kitten rehab, I can sympathise  :rofl:

We needed one to fit into a particular space, so lots of measuring was required and of course the Mrs wanted an aesthetically pleasing one.
Good God, you could be my OH talking  :rofl: Oh yes, the hunt for a 'tasteful' cat tree! I adore ours and thank God the monsters do too. The mother in law calls ours the cat Hilton. Hilton?? It's more like the feline Trump Towers thank you very much  :evillaugh:

Now I could start with another main notch on the steep learning curve.......the observation of poo. But I think we'll save that for another day, that's just a whole subject in itself!
Poo watch!!! I should start a thread on this  :rofl: We have poo code in our house now. Everything from 'squirts' to 'Mr Whippy' to 'Pencil Poop'. And of course, I live my life celebrating every glorious sausage poo  :rofl: :rofl:

It's so lovely to read you talking about them Katie, all the love and excitement they've brought into your life is so obvious!  :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2015, 07:54:34 AM »
welcome to our world  ;D

Cat trees are great.  I have a 6 footer fake fur monstrosity and Kito loves to sleep at the top.  I have  one about 3 feet tall by the window which I have had for 18 years so have ordered a super duper rock solid replacement at an eye watering price, I have the pieces of a ceiling high broken tree dotted around as still get used, a small one in the hall.....  I only live in a one bed flat!

I am one of the lucky ones with food as they eat what I want them to eat, Mosi's current tummy troubles aside so happy kitty company and zooplus serve all our needs but I still can't resist looking around pets at home to peruse their food selection

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2015, 06:53:59 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:   Katie, what you must have clocked by now is that we're all fascinated about anything to do with our cats, your cats, everyone's cats.    Be it beds, litter, wee, poo, daft antics and tender moments - it's all up for discussion.  We're always learning something new from everyone's own experiences.   And what's wrong with a chatterbox?  Be a very boring forum if none of us spoke much!  :evillaugh:

I've just been fortunate enough to have received the Jackson Galaxy "Catisfaction" book, so am now eyeing up the walls, floor and ceiling space with a speculative gaze.....  ;)  Having said that, the cats have beds in the dining room, in the living room, in all of the bedrooms, on the sofas and the chairs - wherever they take a liking to be honest.  Not as swanky as yours mind - that's pretty special.   :)

And cat food?  I reckon we've all come up against that one.  What do we feed them?  Whatever they'll eat in the end.   :tired:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2015, 03:36:53 AM »
The cat tree is the best thing that I've ever bought. They are never off it. They only thing is they sleep on it instead of me  :'(

By the way they say thanks for telling meowmy about giving us more grub, were eatin loads more and a dish of dry too! Nice one!  ;D

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2015, 03:11:09 AM »

Katie, I have cat trees everywhere. Shop bought and homemade. I went bonkers in the auction and have two, yes two more on the way :Crazy: Can never have to many  :evillaugh:
So now we go from poo to wee  :rofl:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2015, 02:50:32 AM »
Thanks for all your positive remarks everybody.  ;D I just love my fur babies, they are going to be really good for me.  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

It's official, the McKitties have taken over. They no longer just stay in the vicinity of their cat tree, they now occupy all corners of the room (and rooms), including under the tv unit and under the wood burner (when it's off!) and in the log basket. They race along the back of the sofas at break neck speed, fighting and swiping tinsel as they go. The dogs are now a mere obstacle. The progress and change is quite unbelievable. I can't believe I can't remember any of this wild behaviour from my cats from years ago!  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

After all my 'pre kitten' research, I thought just for interest you may want to know my findings in practice. What has amazed me is the choice available for everything now. God I sound like my granny.  :innocent:
It's over 30 years since I had my first cat and as I remember, there were just wood pellets or Catsan litter and that was it. Catsan was seen as the really 'advanced' litter. I can remember my mum buying it in a paper type bags in the Co-op!

I'm finding the OkoPlus CatsBest litter really good, no odours, great clumps which I bin in scented nappy bags. I did put it down the loo a couple of clumps at a time but the toilet blocked. The remaining clean litter in the box apparently lasts for ages. I'm glad I got covered litter trays too, they're a bit cumbersome but you get used to them. The hinged one from Zooplus is really good but I also have one with kittens on the side that has a top flap that lifts and is a good shape, higher at the back half for squirty boys. :evillaugh: I think I may actually have shares at Zooplus now and I kinda get the impression I'm not the only one!  ;D

I do apologise experienced cat people if this is very mundane, been there, got the tshirt for you, but you never know, you may have had a cat so long the litter tray has worn out and a wee Purrs review is just what you're looking for  ;)  Or conversely you may tell 'me' about a 'must have' item. I just thought a bit of light hearted banter concerning my kitties would be fun.  ;D

Oh and a wee special message for Pav, after seeing my posts you'll see there's a familiar theme running through the threads, I'm a bit of a blether (chatterbox). If there's something to be said, why say it in one word when you can do it in twenty! You see I don't sleep very well so I just chat away like you were sitting beside me with a hot chocolate and marsh mallows. The great thing about the internet of course is, one click and she's gone.  ;D

What else did I look at like someone obsessed?  Ah yes, Food, oh my word, I just about had a break down choosing cat food. With cereal, without cereal, got Taurine, not got Taurine, with veg, without veg. Wet verses dry, jelly or gravy?? I was just about round the bend. Well I try to do my natural, Eco bit and I do believe in giving my pets as natural as possible combined with cost and convenience................but then comes along 'the actual cat', not remotely interested in any high meat content Elk in gravy and arrives on Asdas Tiger pouches full of cr*p and loves it! Another notch on the steep learning curve.  :-[

Another trauma was choosing a cat tree, do we really need one of those tacky fake fur covered monstrosities in our little cottage lounge? It's the food thing all over again. With or without hammock, beige fake fur or charcoal, sturdy enough for a Maine coone or just the job for your common or garden moggy out of last week's newspaper? We needed one to fit into a particular space, so lots of measuring was required and ofcourse the Mrs wanted an aesthetically pleasing one. So we are now the proud owners of a light beige, faux fur cat tree with, I kid you not, woven hyacinth baskets and lounging levels.  :innocent: I'm sure I could have knocked it together with a bit of birch tree and some MDF!

Now I could start with another main notch on the steep learning curve.......the observation of poo. But I think we'll save that for another day, that's just a whole subject in itself! Plus look at the time, fat lot of good that sleeping tablet did, Mary will be given me a row for being on my iPad again. ;) Plus my mother is coming tomorrow to see Bonnie and Archie and "it's just not on to still be in your bed", "you should be up that beach getting fresh air in your lungs." I tell you, if I went up that beach just now I'd end up in Norway it's so bl**dy windy.
Thanks for your company, night x

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2015, 18:07:02 PM »
They really are adorable Katie  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2015, 17:27:29 PM »
It is so good to hear that the babies are settling in so well. Sounds azif Staffa is a typical daft lab  ;D

Cleo is not a morning girl. She did have some breakfast at around 8.30, when hubs got up, then she went back to bed until after 11.00 So, all you have to do if you want a good night's sleep is wait until they are 13 or so...  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2015, 13:33:46 PM »
Great pics and love ARchie on top of the post, cant imagine one so small to be able to do that  ;D ;D ;D

Dont talk about lack of sleep grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................in my case its the neighbours and hammering two days running now and still going on!  Started about 4 months ago!

I so understand people who dont do mornings and so pleased there are now at least 3 of us  :shify: :shify:

That pic with Archie with his head on Bonnies back is great  ;D

Staffa sounds like a typical Lab, soft gentle and patient and great they are all getting along so quickly  ;D ;D

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »
What beautiful kittens and lovely names. 

How lovely that we had Mary's lovely Bonnie, and now her lovely namesake.  Archie is adorable too.  :Luv2:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2015, 08:52:14 AM »
Its great that they're settling so quickly with the dogs.

:Luv2:  :Luv2:  :Luv: those photos! What little beauties you got!

I especially love the one of Archie on the top of his post, he's got trouble written all over him that one  :evillaugh: Him and Chester could have some fun together. I'm telling you, we need to introduce these cat playdates. The kittens can get together and trash the place while us mummies drink bubbly  :rofl:

Speaking of which - I see tinsel! Have you got a tree up? How are they with it?

So what time are they getting you up in the morning? I haven't been up later than 8am since my two arrived and that feels like a lie in now! They are WILD in the morning. I can usually be found about 6am, standing in a bathrobe in the middle of the living room, hair on end, eyes half shut, dazedly waving a wand toy around. If I manage to drink a coffee while doing it, it's a good morning  :tired:

I'm planning to use my Christmas break to take power naps while they sleep. Just the thought of extra sleep....ahhhhhhhh...sleep, how I miss you  :rofl:

Heart in mouth while watching cat tree antics sounds very familiar. Just wait till they start having wrestling matches on it's highest point and swiping at each other while balanced on back legs up there  :evillaugh:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2015, 04:10:16 AM »
The tree is from Zooplus, called a Natural Home lll and is on this page, it got good reviews and it's very sturdy.

http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/medium

• Senior Cat
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2015, 04:03:22 AM »
Hi Susanne

It was one from Zooplus if I can remember right. It's good cos it's quite narrow and you can just see it in the photo, it has a basket bed with a cosy cushion on the top.

Love the name Jaffa  :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2015, 03:52:33 AM »
Don't they just make your heart melt?  Archie reminds me a bit of Jaffa when he was little.  I just love that pic of them curled up together on the cat tree - makes them look very small.  Is that a Tigga Towers cat tree?

• Senior Cat
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2015, 03:31:23 AM »
Sorry folks, life and kittens taking over a bit just now, not keeping up my posting duties.  :innocent:
Was explaining to Mary that my sleep is a bit upside down, which I'm finding doesn't really match with kitten hours, so I'm shattered. Along with being a bit off anyway, I'm feeling a bit all over the place.

Aside from that, my entertainment furbabies are just fantastic. Bonnie is going to be just like yours Mary, she loves a cuddle and she's more timid than Archie. She watches everything from the rear, then plucks up courage to run in and then at the slightest thing runs all the way back again. They both love their tree and sleep at the very top. I have my heart in my mouth when they're climbing in.

Bonnie is so funny with the dogs, who I have to say have been so good, in fact Staffa thinks he's a kitten too now and runs round the living room with them. We have one of those figure of eight tracks with the ball in which is great because the dog can't pinch the ball so he just sit right beside them eagerly watching them swipe at the ball. Great toy that from the purrs shop.
Bonnie for all the size of her was spitting and arching her back like nobodys business with the dogs at the start, in fact they both were, but within 24 hrs, walks past those giant lab legs and if he moves too quick, she does a rather feeble hiss now and carries on unperturbed. I would never have believed it. Archie the Ninja (Susanne, you were so right, he's nuts) his confidence has gone through the roof! He used Staffa to climb up the back of the sofa by stepping up his back yesterday. Fair play to Staffa he just stayed lying down and looked as surprised as we were. I so get the hanging off the blind thing now Nic.!

Forget the game plan of getting used to one room, Archie races from one room to the next and if he bumps into anything, he does that arched sideways bouncing which is so funny to watch. I sense it's going to get more crazy by the day. :Crazy:

Loved seeing your photos Mary, being a photographer I keep thousands, both digital and paper. Great to have memories.

Here's a few of mine, I will have to learn the knack of action shots!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2015, 21:27:26 PM »
Thanks for compliments re:Bonnie's pics, luckily I have so many to remember her by :Luv2: :hug:

Mary

Link to CatChat