Author Topic: Katie's Quest  (Read 38080 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Katie's Quest
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »
Isla is my very cute great niece so am rather biased, I love it!  ours always have human names apart from star which was her rescue name (she had been through at lot an was popular with the staff) we only didn't change it because I wanted daisy and oh wanted Helga!!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »
My OH would never permit it, but I'd love to have a Haggis and Spurtle.     :evillaugh:

I do like Breac  (Breck).    :)

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2015, 12:31:51 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Dave, thanks for that.   Neit was a bonny 'un and no mistake.  very handsome girl.

Katie, I do of course highly approve of Scottish names, as you'll appreciate, what with our MacBeenz MacSquee, Ross (as in Ross & Cromarty) and now of course Moray, Malt and Barley.  Tinks was named before he came to us, and he suited it, so stayed as Tinks.

How about Cluny, Skerry or Keltie, Bridie, or Florrie or Ailish?

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2015, 11:59:56 AM »
When I got Pimpernel, he was very good at hiding, despite his light colour. I got another, slightly older cat at the same time:

I thought she looked like one of those Egyptian statuettes, so I thought an Egytian cat goddess’s name would fit. The most obvious one was Bastet, but then I thought of what the neighbours might think if I was calling her in, and decided on Neit!
I don't worry too much about names any more. All my cats have ended up being called "Oi!" They always seem to know which one I mean.

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
Love the idea of scottish names!

Iona? Isla? Sorcha? Ailsa?

Nessie!  :rofl:

Scotch and Rye  :rofl:

Francie and Josie  :rofl:  :rofl:

I'm desperate to know if you have a tabby boy or a tabby girl. I'm hoping for a boy  ;)

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2015, 11:35:16 AM »
LOL  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »

Neaps and tatties  :rofl:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
Right, that's that sorted, female tortie and we'll find out what the tabby is on Saturday.

Oh my word, names now. I'll have to see them first!! I said Shiraz and Chablis but OH not havin it. Lol!
We tend to like odd names to be either Scottish or food or old fashioned, to do with art.

Now that will be today's quest!             

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
go for it Katie, at that young age they should bond quickly - girls are naughtier for sure but we still have a couple of cuddlebums in our gang

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Katie's Quest
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2015, 07:59:24 AM »
Here's what I think, and you probably know what I'm going to say...get them both ;D

You've seen how much my 2 adore each other despite being no relation.

By the way, like Sue, I think boys are much more loving. Every Tom I've had has been a cuddly lap cat. I've found girl cats to be a bit more aloof. I've never had an issue with spraying either (let's hope that continues!)

I'd also ask if the one who's ready earlier could be kept for 5 extra days so they both come home at the same time.

Chester was ready a week before Beau but I asked the fosterer if I could wait & bring them home together. I didnt want to spend that time settling him only to introduce a new arrival.

So exciting! I feel a kitten countdown coming!!!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »

Katie, I'd say go with it.  If the tortie litter's carer cant confirm one or two, then take the tabby and take the tortie girl.  I know how quickly kittens go in our neck of the woods too, and if there's only 5 days between the dates each will be ready, then there's little ground to lose. 

I was shaking with laughter when I read your post Andrew.  At that point, I had just had two gurlcats hurl themselves past my ear'ole at around 70 mph, having leapt over the back of the little sofa, sending OH's glass of water flying, and the paper he was flicking through to the floor.  Dainty is certainly not the word that sprang to mind.  :evillaugh:

I've had gurlcats and boy cats, and have always found the boys to be the least trouble and the most loving, and I'm still not minded to change my opinion!   :rofl: :rofl:

Dave, I'm so pleased you were able to get cats back into your life, even if their number was rather more than you'd counted on.   :hug:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2015, 03:52:49 AM »
Tell me about it, I'm rattling with tablets and I still get depressed. On the up though, feeling better last two days so it's maybe lifting.
Plus I've got a focus with my kitten search, I can't get over how quickly kittens get reserved here. New experience for me. Ideally I'd like two females and the same litter but I think I'm not so hung up on the same litter thing now after speaking to Dave. As long as they're roughly the same age and will arrive at the same time they should settle down. Well that's the theory!
Well I suppose I should try and get some sleep, I took a sleeping tablet 4 hours ago and I'm still wide awake again. Nice talking to you Andrew, love to the hoolies!
Night Dave!

Katie

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »
It's funny all the different characters. Like little people really.
So you an insomniac like me? Saying that I was nodding off a minute ago.

Yep, that's me, insomniac. ;D Just a bad time of year for me at the moment, I have been struggling, trying to fight off the depression, I think I'm winning, tablets are useless, cats are the best remedy  ;D

• Senior Cat
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2015, 03:14:01 AM »
It's funny all the different characters. Like little people really.
So you an insomniac like me? Saying that I was nodding off a minute ago.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2015, 03:11:32 AM »

Until 2008 I had only had girl cats, singly. Except when I was growing up, then the most we had at once was 1 adult female, 8 kittens, 2 adult rabbits, 17 baby rabbits, a couple of hamsters, 4 white rats, half a dozen mice, two frogs, a hedgie and a crow. Don't ask  :Crazy:
Then in 2008, Holly died aged 21 and a half, a few months later we got Lulu from the rescue, she was 9 years old. A few weeks after that we got Tigger, he was 4, my first boy cat. The difference in the two was like chalk and cheese. Lulu liked nothing better than to sit next to (not on) me being brushed or stroked, she played very rarely. Tigger charged round the house, loved playing in bags and boxes, always head butting me, purring and huffing. Lulu was tiny, about 6lbs, Tigger was about 11lbs.
I lost them in April 2014, Tigger first, Lulu 3 weeks later.

That's when the Hoolies came into my life, with a bang  ;D Anyhoo they grew and grew and grew until they reached the size they are now, 13lbs 3oz, 6kg each. That's the first thing, male cats are much bigger than the girls. They are more boisterous and more playful, in my experience.
They can also spray, mark their territory, when they are kittens and tomcat pee stinks and is the very devil to get rid of. Zoonie was a difficult kitten, he used to pee and spray on the carpet in the hall all the time, it took months for him to get used to the litter tray. Astrophe on the other hand went straight in the tray the day I got him.
If you want dainty, go for girls, if you want Hoolicats get boys :rofl: and if you go for two, get them together so you don't have any problems introducing them.

Having said all that, I wouldn't swap these two for anything  :Crazy:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2015, 02:36:20 AM »
Lily, the silver tabby/dilute tortie something or other?
She turned up a year ago, and decided she was in charge. 9 year old Bramble, who is definitely a tabby, had other ideas! They often play together now, chasing each other around the house.
Two kittens close in age will be easier.
I had to give up all my cats when my life fell apart, but I got two back, including Bramble. A month or so earlier, I'd already got two cats, including a kitten, Pimpernel. Despite the gap in age, and in introduction, they got on quite well:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2015, 02:15:05 AM »
It's you that has the silver tabby that I admire isn't it? What a gorgeous cat.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2015, 02:07:38 AM »
If that's the most likely outcome, yes, rather than risk disappointment!
You don't even need to get them at the same time, so long as they're roughly the same size/age, though the closer together their arrivals are the better.
Cats like to know where they stand, and they don't like too much change at once, but they're more adaptable, and recover their wits sooner, the younger they are.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:46 AM »
Thanks Dave, so you'd go for one of each. They're both ready 5 days apart.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2015, 01:54:01 AM »
So long as both have been cared for, I wouldn't worry. All cats will be a little spooked by relocating to a new home. Getting them as kittens means they aren't set in their ways. If there is any squabbling to begin with, they'll be about the same size, and won't hurt each other badly, and they'll soon get used to each other. It makes little difference if they are litter mates. You can't even tell how they'll get on together if they've come from a larger litter. Just ask Nicola how Beau has changed!

• Senior Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 01:51:33 AM »
He/she (we're going on Saturday to see) is too cute! Mind you, what kitten isn't?

• Senior Cat
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 01:38:25 AM »
Well today is a day of indecision. Help please!

There are two litters, the lady from the first litter of tabbys contacts me to say there is one tabby left and asks who my vet is as she will get them checked and will be getting the wormer there anyway. (Good sign)

The other litter of three torties, the people very concerned where there kittens are going and mentioned worming too (good sign)and we are definitely getting one of those but they were considerating letting us have another but wouldn't make a decision and haven't got back to us.

Kitten going like hot cakes, we would definitely like two, what would you do??

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2015, 20:42:42 PM »
I know nothing about kittens except they are cute, soft and furry  :rofl: :rofl: You'll get all the advice you need from others on here Katie.

They are beautiful and I can'twait to here the next instalment - maybe you should write a book, What Katie Did Next :evillaugh: :evillaugh: I'm sure it would be better than the one that was out in the 70s  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2015, 15:39:45 PM »
Awwww, they are utterly adorabubble! But then, all kittens are so it doesn't really matter from that point of view.

You were very wise to steer clear of the first woman - anyone who attracts a 'bait' buyer must be under suspicion and, although innocent until proven guilty etc, best avoided.

I do think getting 2 kittens is a great idea. Chivvy and Puny came to us as littermates - mind you, they never actually got on! Perhaps we should have paid more attention to the inter-litter relationships than we did. That's all water under the bridge now and it didn't really matter anyhoo.

The waiting is agony, I know, but the time will son go and your forever kitty will be here before you know it  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2015, 14:37:17 PM »
If its another waiting game and you know the kittens are being well cared for and fed as they should etc etc then it will be so much better than last time and we can all count down the sleeps with happiness for you.  ;D ;D

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 13:01:24 PM »
What lovely babies!  I am so hoping you can have two of this absolutely stunning girls!  But if not then one and another kitten should not be a problem.

Beautiful kits there  ;D

• Senior Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
Thanks everyone, that's reassuring. So just waiting to hear about other tortie and if that falls through, we'll look for a brother or sister. Sooooo excited but another long waiting game, I don't think my nerves can stand it!,  :scared:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »
I've never known two very young kittens not to get on pretty quickly no matter the sex or whether related.  Things get more complicated the older they get of course.

Sounds like you have steered clear of trouble and do hope you manage to home both.  Two is so very very much better than one  :) :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 08:33:02 AM »

Yes, good point Nic - temperament matching doesn't necessarily mean the same - our Ross was a very Alpha oriented cat, boisterous and outgoing.  Tinks on the other hand was a quiet Gamma style cat, introverted and complicated, but they got along like a house on fire - bestest mates until their untimely separation.

Moray was patient and friendly, and responded to Tinks need for quiet respect.

F red is a loner since his accident, but is very friendly though nervous and easily intimidated.  T ed is a little bovva boy with much cattitude and a tendency to muscle in on everything.  He's definitely a User.  ;)  B uttons is shy and quiet, and very laid back.  They all get on tolerably well together.

Of the girls, Barley is the bold one - the one who is lightning quick and always paves the way.  Malt is more reticent, smaller and less speedy, yet she always "mothers" Barley and makes sure she's good and clean like wot their Mamma showed them.  She can also shred your fingertips in an instant, so maybe not that slow.  ;)

Yes Dawn, it does - sadly we hear a lot about them round our way too.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
wow what a roller coaster!!  everything crossed, as with all torties they are of course adorable - baiters, doesn't that make you want to
 "%£%$^$^&$"£$"£$"£$"£%$"£^£$%

• Hero Cat
Katie's Quest
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 08:12:16 AM »
Oh, and one other thing.

My boys two personalities couldn't be more different.

Beau is very quiet, gentle & much more timid.

Chester is brave as a lion & very bolshy.

I actually think it helped bring Beau out of his shell quicker & I swear Chester takes care of him like a big brother.

I hope you can get 2 from this litter though. That would just be perfect!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »

Nic's right - having two is double the trouble twice as much fun.   ;) :evillaugh:

• Hero Cat
Katie's Quest
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 08:03:37 AM »
Oh Katie, how exciting!!
Chester & Beau are from 2 different litters but as far as I'm concerned - and I'm sure they agree - they're brothers ;D

I don't think it'll be an issue with kittens.

And you know I'm going to recommend getting 2, I'm so glad I did!

It means I feel much better when I have to leave them and watching them playing & sleeping together is just wonderful.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »
They can be spayed as young as 12 weeks (or even a bit younger) provided they weigh enough.  Not all vets have moved with the times though and many stick to the 6 months thing.  Many breeders and rescues have their kittens done before rehoming.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »
I hope you will be able to take the two lovlies  Katie :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »

Glad you weren't going to be messed about this time and your instincts kicked in, Katie.  Cant tell you how much I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get to take home two of these little ladies - they absolutely gorgeous!!

As has been mentioned already, as long as the introductions are managed well, even if you only get one from this litter and adopt another later, they should adjust well.  And it doesn't seem to matter about the choice of sex of the kitten, as long as you get the neutering done, or choose your timings with care, and we'll keep you right on that score.   ;)  I do agree with Carol that it's probably more important to try and match temperament for temperament with cats, but its  not always easy to tell what you're getting with kittens, as their personalities are in the process of forming and changing, unlike that of an adult cat where there may be more subtle clues to their natures, even in the artificial surroundings of a rescue or shelter.

Our Vet said he will do the girls when they're 5 - 6 months, depending on what works for us (I have holidays due in February) and we'll get them microchipped at the same time.  I think there may be some vets who will neuter females at 4 months, but I don't think our vet is quite so progressive.   :shify:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 03:54:07 AM »
 :Luv2: Will keep paws crossed, glad the alarm bells sounded, but hoping for a good outcome for 2 bundles!

I think everything has been covered already, some vets early neuter now, but it depends on the weight and health of the individual furball.   :naughty:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 02:56:13 AM »
Yes i am still up! Been deleting security and reinstalling taken nearlt 2 hrs grrrrrrrrr

Those kittens are gorgeous especially love the one in the pic with purple nails  ;D

I am so partial to torties and of course have one myself.

So what is the next stage?

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »
Thanks so much for advice once again guys, feeling a big of a novice here. It is being digested so it's all good

Here's a wee peak at the babies :-

Link to CatChat