Author Topic: Possible tumour in mouth. Advice please  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Possible tumour in mouth. Advice please
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 18:00:18 PM »
This is such good news!!!!    ;D  ;D

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 00:19:44 AM »
Aw, thats fab news.  :yayyy:
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 00:16:12 AM »
ah wonderful news!!! phew! ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 14:44:53 PM »
fantastic news!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 14:41:57 PM »
That is sooooooooooooo great  ;D ;D ;D

Hope the infection gets better quickly  keep us uptodate please.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 14:36:01 PM »
Great news - Ollie does not have a tumour - just an infection ;D

I can't tell you how relieved I am . thank you all so much for your support. :thanks:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 22:53:38 PM »
if it does turn out to be a tumour, maybe ask for referral to a veterinary hospital, somewhere like Cambridge where I took one of my cats a few years ago.
http://qvsh.co.uk/small-animal/small-animal-medicine/oncology

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 13:56:42 PM »
Sorry I do not know but would think its likely tbh,

Its something you will really have to discuss with your vet, Ollie does not necessarily have to be there for the discussion  :hug:

I know someone now no longer on Purrs whos cat had a tumour in her mouth but on the lip. I saw the cat in person and it looked horrific but she did go on for a short while so guess she must nave been having treatment and pain control.

Sending Ollie loads of good vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 07:42:55 AM »
I hope the results are good ones and seems like he needs that pain relief all the time  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I have read about that Gill but the vet did not mention it as a possibility. He is so sure it's cancer. I am reluctant to put Ols through another trip to the vet until absolutely necessary when his results are known.

In order to be a bit prepared for a bad diagnosis, I want to be able to discuss alternatives to pts for Ollie. I believe that steroids are used to keep tumours from growing? Is that an option for Ollie along with pain relief?  Certainly I would not want to prolong his life if he did not have good quality but for me, if he was pain-free, able to eat and to go outside like he wants to, even for a few months, I would not want to deny him that.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 01:15:38 AM »
Sending gentle cuddles for Oliie :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 21:37:55 PM »
years ago my cat had a huge sort of clearish swelling under her tongue, had to rush her to the vets around 11pm, turned out it was a blocked salivary gland. that was full of liquid, she had to have it lanced. Hoping it may be something like that? :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 21:34:10 PM »
I hope the results are good ones and seems like he needs that pain relief all the time  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 21:16:45 PM »
The results should take a week so that's next Tuesday. I'm dreading it.

Ollie is managing to eat a little and we gave him cat milk which he seems to enjoy.  We had a good time outdoors today as it was warm and sunny. Ollie seemed relaxed and lay in the sun.

I have changed my travel plans so I will be here until next Thursday and will be gone only 4 nights rather than a week. I couldn't leave Ols while he is so ill.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 17:52:21 PM »
Well done and so pleased he went walkies...................hope he can eat now  :hug: :hug:

When are results due back at the vets?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
 :hug: :hug:   It's great that he went out with you on the harness.   :)

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »
I gave Ollie some Meloxoral this morning. The main ingredient is Meloxicam which I think is Metacam by another name. I found a harness and lead which he wore without complaint so we went outside for a good half hour walk-about which I will repeat later. He seemed to enjoy it and would have been all over the place had I let him.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »
I can understand your concerns, Rumletum.  It's seldom a good sign when a cat hides.  You know your cat better than anyone else, and if he's been on medication for 5 days and appears to be getting worse rather than better, it's bound to worry you.  Given that the cat-friendly vet has retired, I think you have little option but to work with your existing vet, and it might be worth voicing your concerns with him.  I agree with Rosella regarding the pain relief.

I truly hope that Ollie will turn the corner and begin to pick up, as it will be very hard for you having to go away, whilst this is showing no sign of improvement.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 07:28:14 AM »
He needs to go back to a vet and get pain relief  :(  :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 06:16:06 AM »
I am really concerned that the vet is correct, that Ollie has cancer. He spends all of the time hiding under the sofa. 24 hours ago he was willing to eat bits of dry food plus watered down tinned food. Today, he eagerly drank cat milk but nothing else. Since yesterday, he spends all day under the sofa.He still wants to go outside but I am too afraid that he will go out and just hide somewhere and we won't be able to find him. If it is just an infection, I would have expected to see progressive improvements.It's 5 dys since he started medication.  I am going to postpone my trip next week as I can't leave him like this. However, I really must leave in a week's time just for 3 days while my OH stays with the cats.It's breaking my heart to see Ollie like this and I really fear the worst.I wish there was something I could do to make him more comfy.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 15:33:34 PM »
Meloxicam is Metacam in the UK, I don't know what its brand name might be in France.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 15:22:13 PM »
Thanks Gill. He usually comes in in the morning and again in the evening although there has been occasions when he has stayed away for 24 hours. He is more outdoors than the other two cats we have. I called the vet and they said he can go out so, I will see how he is in the morning and, assuming he eats and has his medication, I will let him out. Frankly, if he hasn't got much longer to live, I would want him to be happy and he is not happy indoors.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »
If he usually goes out and comes back home without a problem, if he was my cat I would let him out if you are in a safe area.

I know others may disagree as sometimes sick cats go away to hide but if he is really really sick I wouldnt want to deny him his freedom.

As he is eating again this sounds good to me.

sorry the vet has retired but stick to your guns with your vet  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 10:03:47 AM »
Unfortunately the nice cat  vet has retired so I must stick with the vet we have. Last night Ollie drank for England. We fed him diluted cat food from a syringe and this morning he ate the same diluted food out of a bowl. So, he seems able to lap. he has also had a few biscuits bit seems to have difficulty picking them up. He is now howling to go outside and I would love to let him go but I wonder if he should stay indoors. What do you think?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »

Good luck Rumletum.   :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 22:39:25 PM »
Sorry dont know what they are, best to ask the vet if you see her tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,sounds like she will be good  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 22:21:39 PM »
Another thought. I have Meloxoral 0.5mg at home which has contains Meloxicam. Can I give it to Ollie as well as Dermipred and Kesium?

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 22:07:28 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses. I live in France so I don't know if the supplements you recommend are available but I will certainly check it out tomorrow. My friend has suggested going to her vet for advice which I may do tomorrow also.Her vet is apparently very good with cats. I find that French vets don't rate cats very highly.I will let you know how we get on.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 18:41:11 PM »
What a terrible worry for you  :hug: ! I do agree that it sounds as if Ollie would benefit from some painkillers, poor chap. anything he will eat or drink will be beneficial so now is the time to treat him like the king he is.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 18:16:30 PM »
Having been through this twice, liquidise the food 1 sachet to a little water so its like thick soup and add some Complivit food supplement -I get mine from my vet 1 pump of this wonder stuff is equal to a full days calories for a 4kg cat, also Liquivite food in tins is another staple in fact human pate - mine favoured tuna and salmon from M & S and catmilk a calories is a calorie cat food or not

Gracie had a glorious 9 months of extra life and had steroid injections weekly, Chunkchop ha other health issues and went on for another 4 and a half years

I even liquidised Chunks favourite biccies with hot water
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 17:57:56 PM »
This is a very sad situation and sounds like Ollie needs a painkiller to allow him to eat.......Metacam is the one and can be kick started by a jab from the vet.

I agree if this is an infection the vet is not giving suffient time..............I am afraid I dont think your vet is very  good.

Its so important for a cat to eat or their body starts to close down..............ask your vet for a metacam injection immediately and then get a bottle from them. It is added to food, I use a smooth  pate  ( Gourmet Ocean fish I use) watered to a thickish runny mess and metacam has a marked tube like the base of syringe with lines and numbers, doseage relates to weight of cat, I unit per kilo.

It can be syringed into their mouth if they wont eat but it needs to be followed by food, so if the injection kick starts him eating that will help.

Try a different food as he may associate his usual one with pain.

Good luck...............personally I would not go away!

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
Possible tumour in mouth. Advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 17:14:11 PM »
Ollie is 9 years old. On Sunday morning he was having problems eating and I thought perhaps teeth trouble.However, later that day he came in and he was drooling copiously. We took him to the emergency vet who found that the area under his tongue was very swollen. He thought it may be an infection and gave him an antibiotic jab and a steroidal jab, both to last for 3 days. yesterday we went to our regular vet who mentioned an infection but also said that it could be a tumour. So this morning Ollie had a biopsy. He also has to take Kesium and Dermipred for the next week . We will have to wait a week for the results of the biopsy. The vet could not see what the problem was when he examined Ollie under anaesthetic today. When he took the biopsy, some liquid came out. He does not think it is an infection.
The vet also said that if it is an infection Ollie should be much better in a few days but, if he does not eat by Thursday night, that is very serious and we should consider pts.This seems very little time to get rid of an infection?
So, I am determined not to give up on Ollie unless it is cancer. He is home now and we tried some sloppy wet food but he refused it. Then we tried giving him water using a dropper being careful not to give him too much. We managed to get a few drops down him. Since then, he has managed to eat some dried food if we place it on the floor on a flat surface. It is obviously painful at times but he seems famished. Am I doing the right thing in trying to get some food and water into Ollie? To add to the problem, I am going away next Monday leaving Ollie with my husband. This is causing me a huge problem thinking that Ollie may have to be pts while I am away.  Is there anything we could be doing to make Ollie more comfy. At the moment, he is anxious to go outside so other than eating, he seems in good spirits.

Link to CatChat