Author Topic: Inflammatory bowel disease  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Draco

• Kitten
Re: Inflammatory bowel disease
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 19:30:40 PM »
Thankyou

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 15:49:25 PM »
Thank you they are sooooooooooooo handsome  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Draco

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 15:45:31 PM »
They are eight and a half and are wonderful little (sorry big)boys now..

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 14:31:49 PM »
I think everyone knows that Draco and what beautiful boys they are and am sure that Life with no meow is so grateful to you for taking the boys on and looking after them so well  ;D ;D ;D

I may have missed it but how old are they now?

Offline Draco

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 14:02:24 PM »
I have replied to this correspondent re the adoption of these boys and showed them evidence that I AM the original adopter from the Norwegian Forest Cat Society.  I am NOT the person that caused the medical problem in Cedric, he was very ill when I got him.

Offline Life_with_no_meow

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 11:30:03 AM »
Hi Darco, you weren't the original adoptor as we dropped them at the first adopters ourselves and added them in Facebook. They then deleted us and the charity stopped responding. For a long time I didn't know whether they were alive.

When they were with us they were healthy boys. I don't think you were given their vet records when you adopted them. The first charity/adopter must have kept them.

Any way thanks a lot for the pictures. We are relieved now.

All the best and thank you again.

Offline Draco

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
I am, by the way, the original adopter, and have had the boys since September 2013. As a reply to your statement "can't imagine what they've been through" they've been through a lot of veterinary treatment at a great cost.

Offline Draco

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 09:07:50 AM »
Hello. It appears that Cedric and Albert are "your" boys, though the information given doesn't match what I've been told, and have in writing. Both boys are very happy, although Cedric has IBD and is on steroids, which may shorten his life. Albert has what appears to be early-onset dementia, but is coping with a lot of love. Both are living a life of luxury and ruling the roost. I will try to post pictures occasionally.

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 23:12:07 PM »
Hi Draco, my name is Sihan. And my husband's name is Hassan.

We just need to know that they are ok. If you will be willing to post one or two of their pictures here once in a while we will appreciate it so much.

Thank you so much for adopting them. I have been so worried and couldn't stop thinking what was happening to them. I'm so relieved that they have found a safe and permanent home now.

Cedric had sensitive stomach when he was young and went through some pills but when he grew up he never had a problem. I hope he has recovered now.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 17:52:40 PM »
Lovely to see you Draco and hope that its the right person  ;D

Offline Draco

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 17:12:45 PM »
Hello life-with no meow. I'm puzzled. May I have your name(s) please before I commit any further.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 07:31:30 AM »
Have had similar problems with Archie so you have my every sympathy.

He has been treated for Colitis for the last few years, he gets bouts of blood in his poo and is generally quite lethargic.

A few weeks ago he was tested for giardia which came back positive so was given a course of panucur. On top of this he also has campylobactor so had two weeks of abs.

He also went on Royal Canine vets sensitive.

I can honesty say he is like a new cat and has not been this well for a few years.

Really hoping Cedric gets well soon :hug:

If he gets blood again he will go through the whole tests to check.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 13:43:03 PM »
My goodness what a story and think you are right Draco had the cats.

Sadly he has not been on the forum since Apr 14 and only posted 7 times.

I could try and email Draco for you to see if contact can be made?

Let me know.

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
Hi Draco, hope you are well and Cedric and Albert are well too. I'm actually their first owner. They were born in May 2007, my husband and I got them together when we got married. The boy stayed with us for 6 years and due to circumstances we had to rehome them. We didn't go through RSCPA as they will not put us in touch with the new owner but we would very much like to know how our boys are going forward so we went through the Norwegian Forest Cat society who can make arrangement that we will hear about our boys from time to time. It was ok in the beginning but then we can not get hold of the new owner or the lady who arranged the rehoming any more. I have been trying for two years just want to see whether they are still alive whether they are ok. And I googled Cedric and Albert randomly without any hope then I landed here. I think the Cedric and Albert you are taking care of are my boys. Cedric is the black and white one and Albert is the grey/brown tabby cat. I can't imagine what they have been through after they left us. But I know they are in good hands now. Thank you so much for your kindness. I attach a picture of them when they were kittens so you know what they look like when they were young.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 17:07:51 PM »
I wonder if this was what Lupin had but thankfully OK now

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
Thanks for the info Liz ... I would say from reading your post and doing a bit of a search that Foxy probably has this rather than the colitis my vet told me she had  >:(   I will be venturing back to the vet to "have words" and get her tested.

More info on TF:
http://www.highgait.com/page/page/3485008.htm
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »
This could be TF which is a parasite that can be found in pedigree cats can be eaily tested for and treated with a course of meth something - we have had quite a few of the rescued bengals in BRS Scotland with this and most are now OK

Worth the vet to check for it

Studies have shown that this parasite mainly causes colitis (large bowel diarrhoea) with increased frequency of defaecation, semi-formed to liquid faeces, and sometimes fresh blood or mucus in the faeces. With severe diarrhoea the anus may become inflamed and painful, and in some cases the cats may develop faecal incontinence.  Although cats of all ages can develop diarrhoea, it is most commonly seen in young cats and kittens, the majority being under 12 months of age. Most of the affected cats have come from rescue shelters and pedigree breeding colonies. Abdominal ultrasound examination may show corrugation of the large bowel and local lymphadenopathy. Colonic biopsies from affected cats typically show mild to severe inflammatory changes with infiltration of lymphocytes and plasma cells – a pattern commonly seen with other infectious agents and with inflammatory bowel disease. However, the parasites may be seen in close association with the mucosa. Although the diarrhoea may be persistent and severe, most affected cats are otherwise well, and show no significant weight loss.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
my bengal also used to suffer badly but once things were settled with rc sensitive can now eat anything - locked in the litter tray, poor boy  :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 23:58:56 PM »
Oh yes have heard that expression  :hug: :hug:

I do hope Cedric can be helped as I have a young birman who had terrible tummy problems and evry type of food used to upset his tummy.

Its was not diagnosed as IBD or anything else but took months to get back to normal with a probiotic and gastro intestinal food, he can eat anything now including fish foods which had an immediate effect on him

Offline Draco

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 19:59:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies

Cedric has been treated prior for parasites (giardia, trich and corona virus) which were found through specimen examination. The medication that was given to him (and his brother as a precaution) seemed to help until 10 days ago when it started again.

They are nearly 7 years old, and all that I know about their previous life is that C. was "faecal incontinent" so was LOCKED in his litter tray until he performed in it. I assumed initially that his litter tray avoidance was due to this experience. The vet seems to think that the stress of this is what has caused his problem - that and no treatment for the infection. I feel so angry.

They were both on dried food, and I'm gradually introducing wet with both. Albert has accepted and adapted well - a little tummy upset at first but nothing serious: Cedric is the worry.   

Nothing has been said about a biopsy yet - my vet wants to monitor the effect that a steroid shot has on him - we go back next
Monday. I'll post how we got on. :)

Just as an aside - have you heard the saying "the light's on but there is no-one at home " - that's Albert :) I'm assuming he wasn't treated too well either. But he and his brother are so affectionate and loving I'm determined to see this through.
Thanks again
Draco

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 19:40:52 PM »
Fabulous advice cazzer  :hug:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 17:59:24 PM »
Hi Draco sorry to hear your wegie possibly has IBD.    I'm sure your vet will have explained that the only definite diagnosis for IBD is by invasive biopsy.   IBS is different despite similar name/symptoms, and is less severe as the organs are not affected.  Ibd/IBS can be suspected though by elimination of other reasons.    I have a nfc with confirmed IBD.   It's very important to treat properly as there is a proven link between IBD and lymphoma.     That said the usual treatment for IBD is steroids but this is problematic in a young cat.      My vet would not prescribe them for my karlo as he is only 3 years old.     Not sure how old yours is? Prolonged use of steroids can lead to diabetes.      I find Karlo as long as he is kept on a very simple diet of RC sensivity control wet sachets and raw chicken he is fine.  Anything else leads to explosive dire rear!     His IBD was started by an over indulgence of cat grass which fermented in his belly.      Up until then he could eat any food.   I wish he would eat other raw foods as many people find their cats are better on a raw diet as opposed to dry or wet.  The problem is finding the trigger for the IBD/IBS, it could be grains, it could be a preservative it could be the protein.    (Beef and chicken are often the culprits).       I'm assuming your cat may have had giardia or TF and the runs haven't cleared up despite treatment from what you have said?     Single source protein foods are best so then you can try and eliminate foods that cause the problem.     I would recommend feringa and Grau with rice if your cat is ok with grains from zooplus, plus ropocat from the happy kitty company.      I can't help on any dry food I'm afraid as I don't feed it.     They include a lot more ingredients so I think they are more problematic.      You might have to try an elimination diet where you try a protein that puss hasn't tried before for say a month before introducing another protein he has had before.    Hope that helps a bit!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:45:59 AM by cazzer »
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 17:26:00 PM »
Hi Draco,

Really sorry to hear your furbabe has IBD.  I have a little lady who was diagnoses with Colitis about a year ago.  Unfortunatley there is no cure for this condition however it can be managed:

There is some really good information in this article:  http://www.holisticat.com/en/chronic-diseases/39-ibd.html

Also these threads contain more information:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,1420.msg24555.html#msg24555

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,43615.msg778614.html#msg778614

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 15:30:19 PM »
Hi Draco,

I'm sorry to hear that your lovely boy has this problem  :( I can't offer any advice, but at least this post will have moved you further up the board where someone else might see it.

Offline Draco

• Kitten
Inflammatory bowel disease
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 14:39:11 PM »
Hello,
I last contacted the forum in August when I was looking to adopt a cat (or cats). I have since adopted two beautiful Norwegian Forest cats.
It appears that one (Cedric) had an untreated parasite problem which has led to continuous diarrhoea. He is being treated now for IBD, and I was wondering if anyone has a kitty with a similar problem who would be willing to share information etc?

Link to CatChat