Author Topic: Dreaming of Cats  (Read 4753 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Dreaming of Cats
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 22:22:39 PM »
Mary - your dream sounds to me like wishful thinking  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :hug: :hug:  (But I cant think of anyone who deserves a nice run of luck more than you after this year, treasure  :hug:)
[/color]

Ah yes, wishful thinking is what it was  :naughty: Cheers chuck :hug: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 18:15:42 PM »

Houses are very common in dreams, and generally represent security.  Moves often signify changes within your life - real or perceived - which make you feel threatened, when your dream progresses as yours did - moving somewhere strange, that you dislike.  Done without your knowledge, you may feel subconsciously that decisions are being taken which you don't agree with, or don't feel an accord with.

Its also common to dream of people that you know, but who dont look anything like that person in real life, and it's often an abstract - so someone who looks like your Father for example, may in reality be a figure of authority, or security, or insecurity (dependent on the individual's relationship with the dreamer in real life).

Mary - your dream sounds to me like wishful thinking  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :hug: :hug:  (But I cant think of anyone who deserves a nice run of luck more than you after this year, treasure  :hug:)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 17:38:21 PM »
I do remember the dream I had last night -

Hubby moved home and then told me about it, I hadn't even seen the place before and I didn't like it. It was in a different town too, so I didn't know anything or anyone.  Of course, I was also very distressed that this had all happened without my knowledge or participation. Hubby said that we were desperately short of money and the move had been forced on us. It seemed to go on for ages with me going from room to room to find one I wanted to live in and hating them all. Some of hubby's family were there too but I'm not sure why.

One thing I do find about my dreams is that the people never actually look as they do in real life, but I always know who they are supposed to be!

I should say that hubby has been telling me that we are spending a bit too much but our mortgage is paid and we are financially secure - even without our 1/7th share from the sale of my late MIL's bungalow which is due soon  :Crazy:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 14:57:43 PM »
Last night I was dreaming about winning The Big Bertha Draw in December, what does that mean?  ;) :evillaugh:

I'm fibbing  :rofl: :hug:  Very rarely remember my dreams.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 13:35:39 PM »
Nic, I've long been interested in the human psyche and studied dream interpretation alongside other stuff in my 30's.  The mind is an incredible construct, and dreams are so individual that reading a conventional dream book will only give a relatively superficial overview, but beginning with how a dream makes a person feel, colour, sound and other senses reveals a good starting point for interpretation.  Its like constructing a jigsaw.   :)

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Dreaming of Cats
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
Sue, your ability to interpret dreams is fab, I'm finding it fascinating!

How did you learn so much about it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
Yep that sounds right to me.  I've got quite a few goals to do that are achieveable, I'm not sure which one it could be.  It could be the final stuff for Dads estate which should be coming to an end before Christmas. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »

Purdy bear - This dream suggests to me, the cat represents an aim, or a goal you want to achieve.

The fact the cat is walking on a lead puts the goal "within your grasp" or under your control to a degree.  The fact the cat was confident suggests your goal is one you feel really is achievable.

The child-which-is-not-your-child, represents an anxiety, issue or a burden, which isn't really your burden (and in your dream, that issue is in any event being taken care of by someone else close to you - ie your Father).  Nontheless, you walk with it, and in some way feel responsibility for it in a way you don't feel towards the cat (your goal or ambition)

That you're progressing towards a train station to get you home, is literally aiming again to get your project or your goal safely to fruition.  Making progress and travelling with purpose toward a place of safety.

However - there are only two tickets.   :-:  You have to find an alternative means to achieve your goal, but you don't feel confident about it.   Being separated from the others left you to deal with matters alone, increasing your feeling of isolation and uncertainty.

That the weather was fine and bright, suggests to me that your goal is an achievable one, but what is preventing you from reaching it needs to be addressed first, and you dont quite feel ready to deal with it, hence you awakened.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 07:43:23 AM »
Another dream about cats last night:

I was with my Father and a neighbours 5 year old daughter, we were walking a slinky black cat on a lead/harness through a local town.  We found our way back to the train station as someone had offered to give us 2 tickets to our village.  We were discussing how I would get home - by bus - when I woke up. The cats lead was also made of black faux fur and the cat was very confident.    I wasn't confident getting the train back as I didn't know if I could walk the distance from the station home.     The weather was fine and bright but not hot nor cold, it felt like a nice summers day.

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
 ;D Exciting stuff!!!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »
oooh that is exciting!

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 17:03:20 PM »
My local CPL have said they will help me with a cat test when I feel we are ready.  I did a little cat test with my dog today, and he usually doesn't chase cats at all, totally ignores them, but today he wanted to chase   :scared:

I have looked into different breeds, once my dog has shown his true colours one way of the other, and I'm in a position to get another kitty, I will see if I can find one in a rescue.  I rather like the Siberian, as I'd love a Maine Coon, but we shall see how it goes.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 22:47:51 PM »
Would it help if you got a cat with no fur like the wonderful Thierry?

Love the dream stuff Sue.

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »
Slugsta - see?  You already meditate using your review of your day   :) :hug:  Some things I can visualise better than others, and if I can't visualise something then I dismiss it and move on to something I can.

That same guy I was talking about earlier remarked that it's very easy for people to be lofty and spiritual when they're on a retreat, or living a fairly monastic life, but it's much harder to be spiritual in the everyday, the thick and the thin, so we have to develop mechanisms that work for us, even if they aren't archetypically "conventional."

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 18:17:50 PM »
Sue, I found your comments about visualisation and meditation both interesting and helpful. I really cannot visualise, the best I can manage is to silently 'verbalise' something - be that a flower, scene, journey whatever - and describe what I would want to see. The one thing that really calms my mind is to list my day, working backwards from the present.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 12:20:16 PM »

Aw Nic, me too - I often dream about my Bridge babies, and with similar feelings of being unable to touch them.

Your dream is very poignant, as I feel it directly reflects your loss - your inability to capture Rocky on camera is because your conscious mind accepts he's no longer here in the physical world, but the fact he then reappears elsewhere reinforces the truth that they're always with you, whether or not you can touch them, see them or photograph them.    :hug: :hug: 

The fact Rocky was happy in the dream is the positive message to you, though tinged with sadness because you know his place is no longer here with you.   :hug:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
Purdybear, what a shame your asthma prevents you from having cats. Thankfully they don’t seem to set off my asthma, although I have learned to live with the itchy red eyes and sneezing that comes from them sleeping on my head  >:(

Sue, your dream interpretation was fascinating!

I have weird dreams and dream about cats all the time. Especially my bridge babies, although I’ve yet to dream of Bailey. :(

When I lost Rocky back in 2009, I had the most vivid colourful dream about him. He was in our garden, scarpering about among the plants like he always did and I had a camera which I was trying to photograph him with. Every time I got him in focus and was about to take a picture, he faded away and reappeared somewhere else.

I can still remember it so clearly. It was really odd, I felt sad when I woke up but also felt kind of contented as he seemed so happy in the dream.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »
 :evillaugh:  The phrase "great minds think alike (or "fools seldom differ") springs to mind.   :evillaugh:   I've never been very good at conventional meditations, but when I was on a workshop many years ago, a lovely guy who took one of the classes, said it doesnt matter what helps to quiet your mind, use what works - for me, it's making lists of things which have to be in a certain order, or I then have to go back and begin again.  It really does help quiet the mind's chatter .  And when I get too hot in bed at night, I visualise lying on a mossy green bank next to a fast flowing stream, dangling my hand in the icy cool mountain water.  It works some of the time, and failing that, it's a cold sloosh in the shower.  :evillaugh:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »
Sue - thanks for the dream journal idea, I hadn't thought of doing that, and yes I've kept them before.

The Gawain book sits in my bookcase.  RFLOL! I had heard of Barbara Sher but never read her books, I'll keep a look out for that one. Many years ago I used the Robinson and Corbet Dictionary to do my own dream analyses, but I haven't done that for donkeys years.   

I learnt visualisation in my 20's for my meditation practice.  We used the pencil or flower method and moved up to journeying etc.   

A lot of my problems have been anxiety based, I just talk myself out of doing things just concentrating on the negative,  I really need to do a more balanced review with a position on the positive side.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 07:26:29 AM »

I think your grandma defuinitely had a hand in Winnie's journey to you, that's for sure.   ;) :hug: :hug:

Slugsta, that's quite common.   :hug:   

Jen, you're rght - your dreams are like movies.   :)

I tend to dream in colour and with sound too.  Cats for me always represent emotional issues - things I care deeply about, but over which I have little or no control.  I'm always trying to "keep them safe."   :innocent:

Purdy bear, it's a great idea to keep a dream uornal when you're doing things such as you are at the moment.  It can give you quite a vivid photo-snap of your thoughts and feelings at any given time.

You might enjoy "Creative Visualisation" by Shakti Gawain.  It's an interesting little book about achieving your goals, and building self belief.  Also "Wishcraft" by Barbara Sher. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 22:25:36 PM »
I rarely remember dreams and what I do are usually just odd snippets. I couldn't tell you whether I dream in colour or what the sound is like  :-:

Offline Julz (Winnie's Meowmy)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Winnie
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 20:46:51 PM »
Fantastic dream analysis Sue!

I always dream in colour and also hear things happening vocally as well.

When I lost Lucy (in 2008), I went through about 2 years constantly dreaming about cats...I was actually a cat myself on some occasions. But the dreams stopped from about 2013-up until the month before I got Winnie. But even before I knew Winnie even existed, the cat in the dream was a black one with bright green eyes and always talking to me.

So when I saw Winnie on the RSPCA website and I saw the cat from my dreams, I always think that she was going to become mine even before I knew.

Another thing though, my late Grandmother's name was Winnie...and she had a real soft spot for black cats...so maybe Winnie the cat, has my Grandmother's spirit in her!

Mweekie xx
Mweekie xx

Slave to Winnie (Cat), Minx (Russian Dwarf Hamster), Inca and Aztec (Corn Snakes), Truffle and Chaos II (Tarantulas), Leo (Leopard Gecko), Birch and Oak (Giant African Land Snails).

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 19:58:25 PM »
Wow Sue! I didn't realise we had a dream guru on here.  :)

I dream about the end of the world pretty much once a week, sometimes more. They are like movies, all have different plots and are vivid, colourful and with sound. I quite enjoy them really.

(And sorry for the hijack)  :)
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 19:17:20 PM »
Sue - Wow that is very accurate!

I dream in full colour and with full sound, just like a lucid dream in most part.  I've had a lot of experience in visualisation and meditation and that has a tendency to help your dream in that way.

Yes the goal thing is very much up there.  I've just started a goal dream book, where you put down your goals and then stick pictures in to help them become reality.  I'm listening to motivational videos ever morning, and trying to put everything  into practice to achieve them.  Some of the goals are extremely big, so yep I would see them as unachievable, but my thinking now is that anything is possible.

One of these is to totally declutter, refurbish and redecorate Dad's old house where we live at the moment.

Thanks your analysis has helped a great deal.  I do hope I can have a cat again, watch this space, and yes it is one of my goals written in the book.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 17:56:00 PM »

OOo  Purdybear.  I love dreams.  They tell us so much about ourselves, in overt and more subtle ways too.

Do you dream in black and white, or in colour?  How do your dreams make you feel, and what is the overall thought in your mind when you wake from an important dream?

I know what cats signify to me personally, and that's where the magic of dreams comes into being.  Each dream will mean different things for different individuals according to their own ambitions, fears and feelings.

If I were interpreting your dream off the cuff, I would say that there are three important component parts:

The Building

Buildings represent our conscious, subconscious and unconscious selves.  Generally, the higher the building, the more the dream relates to our unconscious - the intuitive drive that pushes us forward.  In this instance, the high rise block of flats represents a lofty ideal - one which you think is unachievable (possibly owning a cat again?  Possibly something else you feel needs to be put right in your life)

The fact this block of flats is destined for demolition suggests to me your way of thinking is changing - you question what you have always accepted before, the old is making way for the new - the ground is being cleared.  You are looking to change old beliefs and long held social mores.

You know this is possible, and you're searching for the truth.  The guinea pig represents an image of something non threatening and innocuous.  The guinea pig represents something which can be held - accommodated - comfortably within your hands.  An achievable ideal.    Your Father is offering reassurance by his presence in your dream.  He is someone you trust, who is helping you to "search" for the truth.  The flat which you bought was clean, and therefore you know in your subconscious (the middle ground)  that the goal you seek is achievable.

The cats

These are your aim - your reward.  The "rescue" - not just of the cats, but of something within yourself which is currently absent.  A need which has to be met.  You've pictured those cats.  You've given shape and definition to something which previously was abstract and unknown - you didnt know what the cats looked like, just that they existed "in potentia."  The sitting room represents the heart of the matter - the place where you feel comfortable.  You found the cats where you would expect to find comfort and ease.   :)

You then managed to evacuate them - in effect, bringing them closer to your own reality.    :hug:

The rest

Your Father was helping you - from the past - to let go of past thought processes, and to accept that new things can be brought out of old beliefs.  In a way, irrespective of whether or not this dream is an indirect way of telling you that you can perhaps become a cat owner again, fulfilling a very real desire that you have,  it is almost certainly telling you that old patterns of behaviour can be released, and that good can come out of situations which seem lost (the flats which are due to be demolished.)  You have inner courage (rescuing something you care deeply about)  and can achieve things you felt may have been beyond your reach (you make it out with the cats).   Old things are being cleared away, ready for new things to come into your life.  Emotional rescue as well as physical rescue.    Giving visual clothing to the cats you perceived, means that you can at last make room for these new things to come into your life, and visualise how this can become real.

Whether or not this is a literal manifestation of cats in your life, or of something else which is going on in your life is something you can know best, but whatever it is, it seems to me like you're making very real progress towards a goal you previously felt was out of reach.   :hug: :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 17:08:49 PM »
True Lilli.  I know I'm not allergic to cats as I've had the tests.     

Oh I would love the three cats, I've always wanted a Maine Coon, or NFC, so a long haired would be right up my street.  I do love the look of a Siberian.

I can't remember if I saw it on tv or read it somewhere but one of the best cats for people with asthma or allergies is a Norwegian forest cat.

Strange dream indeed.
I do sometimes dream about cats, but last night it was more of a nightmare, it was horrible so I won't tell you about it.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 13:48:37 PM »
True Lilli.  I know I'm not allergic to cats as I've had the tests.     

Oh I would love the three cats, I've always wanted a Maine Coon, or NFC, so a long haired would be right up my street.  I do love the look of a Siberian.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/hypoallergenic-cats-fact-or-fiction.html

It means you really really want to rescue 3 cats  :rofl: :rofl:
Preferably allegedly hypoallergenic ones!!!
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »
I think Dad got the Guinea pig, but as we had not cage for him, and none was in the flat I think he put it inside his jacket pocket to bring him down the stairs.  A very strange dream indeed.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
OMG what happened to the guinea pig  :scared:  ;)

Sue is on a break at the moment but hopefully she will see this post on her return PB.  She is our resident dream interpreter.  She 's very good  :)

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
Dreaming of Cats
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
Due to Asthma reactions to cats, I've not had a feline for about 8 years.  I still get massive withdrawal symptoms, so it doesn't surprise me that I dream of cats.  Well last night I had another dream and I thought I would tell you about it.   

My Father (now passed), and I had brought a flat in a high rise block of flats that was coming down.  The previous owner was an elderly lady (who had died) and was some what of a hoarder.  Everything was clean, but piled up so we were clearing the flat of stuff and knew that there were three cats, and a guinea pig I think inside.  We cleared the main sitting room and found the cats, who were totally gorgeous - a long hair tuxedo, a beautiful grey and white short haired and a ginger striped kitty.  We then had to find the carriers and get the cats out of the building before it fell down.    I did manage that and was evacuating with the kitties when I woke up.

I wonder what it all meant?

Do you dream of cats, and if so I'd love to hear them?

Link to CatChat