Author Topic: We're up and running  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: We're up and running
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 09:31:57 AM »
That's brilliant  :wow: 

Purrhaps we could do that with our lot as our Noni has a wider girth than the rest  :shify:  It's her hula hula hips that would stop her access  :)

Offline chrisnjulie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Sophie
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 19:03:06 PM »
Oh we will be able to leave dry food down without a problem . We are armed with baby gates !! Sophie can fit through them at the moment and once bigger we can adjust the bar width .  :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 18:43:09 PM »
Could I just remind peeps that Sophie has 3 canine pals and I would bet my life on the fact that leaving dry down for her is not an option?  :innocent:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 13:11:27 PM »
You can stock up on a food that they like and then they go off it  :rofl:

As many of you know on here my first cat would only eat pilchards in tomato sauce. Did her no harm, she lived to be 26 years old. Must admit there wasn't as much choice as there is today, it was 1960 - 1986.

I think many of you will agree that they tell us when and what they want to eat and not what we want them to have  ;) :rofl: :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:08:24 AM »
Alfie has 2 raw meals a day, supper is a few 'kibble' which he has to work for - either in the 'puzzle feeder', dotted around the room and/or in a home-made concoction of loo roll insides (thanks to whoever suggested that).

Cleo is used to little and often but we can't leave her food down cos Alfie would eat it! She is currently on a mix of raw and commercial 'pate' cos that is what she will eat. She lurves dry but it upsets her tum so she rarely gets any.

You will see from our posts that there is no 'right' way of doing things. As long as the system works for you and results in a healthy cat, try not to worry too much about the details :)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »
Andrew, I wouldnt change your regime either, as the boys are the very picture of good health.  You keep them active, and they aren't overweight. 

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 15:27:37 PM »

Mmmmm. Seems I will have to wean Astro and the Loon off their 6 times a day feeding. Sounds a lot but they are only half a packet  at each meal so only 3 pouches each and they are big lads and active too and they have dry.  ;D ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 20:22:14 PM »
For a kitten its little and often for meals and would continue to feed as you are as its working,  ;D

My older cats have wet and dry left down all the time cos they all graze but 3 meals arre put down, sometimes four which they all help themselves too.

All 3 have their own fav food so its offered to them in the evening and the rest left down for grazing  :shify: :shify:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 18:03:48 PM »
I usually give 2 meals a day wet food and then leave dry down all the time for snacking. You will need to give more small wet meals to a kitten though. Glad you've found something that she likes to eat.

Same here.......   the boys often have three wet meals a day and some dry kibble for free snacking.  :shify:  None of them are overweight.   In fact Tinks has just been distinguished by our vet as being an absolute example of a cat in his prime.   :shy:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 15:26:17 PM »
I usually give 2 meals a day wet food and then leave dry down all the time for snacking. You will need to give more small wet meals to a kitten though. Glad you've found something that she likes to eat.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 14:38:04 PM »
I think the idea is for wet and dry to be given separately but we have 7 moggs, one of whom has no concept of a full stomach so we can't leave dry down and that's why we sprinkle a bit of dry on top of the wet food. 

At such a very young age though, I think little and often is more important than anything for Sophie  :)

Offline chrisnjulie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Sophie
We're up and running
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
So we're up and running ! Sophie is eating really well and put on 100g in the last week . She is currently eating Felix kitten pouch , mixed with about a teaspoon  of boiled chicken or cod and a sprinkling of dry food . I'm going to keep her on this for a bit yet ....my question is - I'd you feed wet and dry diet , do I always offer her both or give her a wet meal and a dry meal later on ....trying to get my head around a different way of feeding (compared to feeding my dogs anyway)
Can I also thank you for the help and advice so far .

Link to CatChat